ADVERTISEMENT

MJ reporting Doug Sirmons not doing any more UK games....

I came all the way off the couch and hit my head on the ceiling when that som beach missed that call. GBB

Can we just fire ALL the SEC referees and start over?

Sure could ----But you would have same alleged problem once they made their cycle of all the teams in league. By doing this you have only corrected 1/2 the problem Its not every team or every official that presents a problem. If you notice it is always the same officials and the same team and fans jmho

Last edited:
Reactions: Bkocats
Cals' response to Sirmons.

3WMtXwc.gif

UK is the BIG TICKET. Those away crowds are paying big money to see the UK show come to their local town, and MAYBE, just maybe, get whipped. They get to cheer with the biggest crowd they have ever seen at a basketball game, and do the wave and everything!

So when this Blowmaster referee takes away half the show, the local bean counters ain't happy. Like paying for Rolling Stone tickets and having some cop come on the stage during 'Start Me Up', and arresting Jagger for a jaywalking violation. So UK ain't alone in bitching about this pocket weasel. He be costin' dem moneys.

UK is the BIG TICKET. Those away crowds are paying big money to see the UK show come to their local town, and MAYBE, just maybe, get whipped. They get to cheer with the biggest crowd they have ever seen at a basketball game, and do the wave and everything!

So when this Blowmaster referee takes away half the show, the local bean counters ain't happy. Like paying for Rolling Stone tickets and having some cop come on the stage during 'Start Me Up', and arresting Jagger for a jaywalking violation. So UK ain't alone in bitching about this pocket weasel. He be costin' dem moneys.

I was at a Black Crowes concert once where cops arrested one of the band's roadies backstage before the concert started. The Crowes sang one song and left.

Do you think Doug Sirmons was that cop?

Briscoe slammed the ball down but it hit the bottom of the basket support on the way up so it EASILY could have been ignored. Especially since it was celebratory and not out of anger, and the play was over.

If you want a fair shake with officials.... 1. Leave the SEC and or... 2. Replace Barnhart with an A.D. with connections that would get us better officiating. We never got UNC or Duke officiating but we got a pretty darn fair if not good whistle with C.M. Newton and he had enough connections that it got him NCAA chairman.

If you want a fair shake with officials.... 1. Leave the SEC and or... 2. Replace Barnhart with an A.D. with connections that would get us better officiating. We never got UNC or Duke officiating but we got a pretty darn fair if not good whistle with C.M. Newton and he had enough connections that it got him NCAA chairman.

Leave the SEC? Why would you want to leave the conference that you have dominated for years? Barnhart and Newton have nothing to do with who officiates the games.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by UNC or Duke officating. If you are saying they are better, what are you basing that on?

Leave the SEC? Why would you want to leave the conference that you have dominated for years? Barnhart and Newton have nothing to do with who officiates the games.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by UNC or Duke officating. If you are saying they are better, what are you basing that on?

For the record, Coach K complained about how UNC got the calls when he was new at Duke. He could see it just as so many others have.

You absolutely should be allowed as a coach to name 3 refs that can't ref your games and build around that.

Ok .... tell us how to get better officiating. what are your ideas?

Briscoe slammed the ball down but it hit the bottom of the basket support on the way up so it EASILY could have been ignored. Especially since it was celebratory and not out of anger, and the play was over.

Just curious about what does the ball hitting the bottom of the basket support have to do with making it easy to ignore?

So why was the whistle for the technical blown like 15 seconds after the ball slam and immediately after Briscoe shoved his team mate in celebration?

Last edited:
I agree, Clougherty and Rutledge was two of the best in my opinion. I believe they were calling in the 70's an 80's

Clougherty's problem was the same as Burr. Good in his younger years but as the years wore on and the eyes and reflexes weakened and slowed he got awful. I only remember him being terrible but I'm still a youngin.

Just curious about what does the ball hitting the bottom of the basket support have to do with making it easy to ignore?

The technical foul is for delay of game. The ball didn't fly 20 feet into the air. It hit the bottom of the backboard (9 feet?) and was easily retrieved. Like I said, the play was over. There was no delay of game whatsoever. I've seen worse not get called.

For the record, Coach K complained about how UNC got the calls when he was new at Duke. He could see it just as so many others have.

He is still complaining to this day lol. I would not put much stock in a coach complaining.
That seems to be their favorite pass time especially when they lose. I think there is something in the water:)

Ok .... tell us how to get better officiating. what are your ideas?

I'll give you mine...

Form a power conference super division with an overall commissioner.

Hire a referee staff exclusive to this division. Have a director of officials who reports to the commissioner.

More or less run the refs like NBA refs at that point, scheduling them across the power conferences.

Sort of complicated maybe..,

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I'll give you mine...

Form a power conference super division with an overall commissioner.

Hire a referee staff exclusive to this division. Have a director of officials who reports to the commissioner.

More or less run the refs like NBA refs at that point, scheduling them across the power conferences.

Sort of complicated maybe..,

I think that would make officiating better as a whole. But I also think the teams that have the more "friendly" officiating will be the programs with leaders that have connections to the new super conference offices. Unfortunately officiating will never be completely fair and unbiased.

The technical foul is for delay of game. The ball didn't fly 20 feet into the air. It hit the bottom of the backboard (9 feet?) and was easily retrieved. Like I said, the play was over. There was no delay of game whatsoever. I've seen worse not get called.
You are correct about it being a delay of game call. The defensive team is supposed to leave ball alone.

I would imagine they feel that all situations should be called instead of having to measure the height the basketball traveled.

I thought I just heard "Buzz" Baker call Sirmons a quality official. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

I think that would make officiating better as a whole. But I also think the teams that have the more "friendly" officiating will be the programs with leaders that have connections to the new super conference offices. Unfortunately officiating will never be completely fair and unbiased.

Make me the Super Commissioner and start printing 40-0 shirts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
That Dook/UNC game last night had really good flow. Game wasn't being stopped nearly every time down the court for a foul or a call review. Watching it I couldn't help but long for refs that let the game happen instead of becoming part of the storyline themselves.

Part of the solution to the SEC's bad officiating problem lies in not allowing a employee of the SEC to oversee them. Needs to be done by a third party that contracts to the SEC for not only administering the daily aspect of assignments, travel arrangements, etc. but, also assess the performance of each ref after every game. Just like an employer does of his employees. Make heavy use of metrics to show which refs are "whistle happy" and impeding the flow of the game, not calling obvious walks or other rules violations.
Give coaches and AD's some input on which officials do a good job and score the results for every employee based on a consensus opinion of his work.
Reward the good refs with extra perks, maybe even bonuses. The SEC def has the $$$.

But, above all they must be held accountable for their actions.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Reply to Wildcat-in-St Louis. I don't have an answer either, like I've said so many times as long as humans call the games its not going to get much better

First of all I don't consider it all that bad, but you can have a couple of refs that go to the extreme either way. There is not much way to avoid that.

I just think they should have their clinics and stress the fact they need to be more consistent and call it by the book and not their personal beliefs.

Now when it gets to calling technicals and kicking the Coaches or whoever out of game is something that the league office should look into and penalize whoever is at fault whether it be player, coach or referee or fan.

The incident that happened at South Carolina is not good for the school and league officials and basketball as a whole. In my opinion after watching and listening to discussions there is plenty of blame to go around. Too many ego's involved. But this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Sure could ----But you would have same alleged problem once they made their cycle of all the teams in league. By doing this you have only corrected 1/2 the problem Its not every team or every official that presents a problem. If you notice it is always the same officials and the same team and fans jmho
yep, this exactly

I'll be happy if I've never heard the officials names before. It's when you know them it's a problem

Reactions: W2R
Not ignoring you. Asking the same questions myself. Frankly, I think the answer is "neither". The schedule was set and we weren't on Sirmons docket. I'm the first to admit though, I have no proof at all and I stand to be corrected. Just using common sense at this point.

I know that people want to believe that he screwed over KY so bad he got kicked off our schedule. Right now, I don't believe this for two reasons. First, I don't think enough time as elapsed for the conference to reach that sort of conclusion. Second, if they've concluded that he sucks so bad he can't call our games, I don't think the conference would accept him anywhere else either. We're just one basketball team and the same as any other as far as the conference is concerned. Trite as it may sound, if he sucks, he sucks.

This is very interesting, regardless. Really curious about any links or verifiable information folks might have.
You talk a lot but you never say anything. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT