ADVERTISEMENT

Love Cal but he lost the game

Its been awhile since I've seen what would be generally considered a consensus on here in regards to something like that but alot of fans seem to think it.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Diallo is an easy target but Washington, Green and Richards had their moments too.
Yeah, but Diallo's mistakes are so bad that it seems like we lose 4 points for every possession he's in. Every time he touches the ball we go backwards at a rate I've never seen.
Dude thinks he's playing 1 on 5. Never seen him actually pass the ball.

Yeah, but Diallo's mistakes are so bad that it seems like we lose 4 points for every possession he's in. Every time he touches the ball we go backwards at a rate I've never seen.
Dude thinks he's playing 1 on 5. Never seen him actually pass the ball.

I won't argue that he often hurts the team, just seems like we're getting hurt at too many places

Cal is quickly losing a lot of fan support. There’s only so much wild up and down swinging from a Final Four to the NIT we hardcore fans can take.
Define "a lot". Cal's approval rating is I'm guessing around 95%. I say that because in the last couple of years of Tubby's tenure, when his approval on this board had to be less than 50% and maybe much worse, was over 90% per a Courier Journal statewide poll. If his was 90, at that time, Cal has to be over 95. Maybe higher.

Never assume the sentiments on this board reflect BBN generally. It does not.

Define "a lot". Cal's approval rating is I'm guessing around 95%. I say that because in the last couple of years of Tubby's tenure, when his approval on this board had to be less than 50% and maybe much worse, was over 90% per a Courier Journal statewide poll. If his was 90, at that time, Cal has to be over 95. Maybe higher.

Never assume the sentiments on this board reflect BBN generally. It does not.

I wouldn't make that assumption, but that CJ poll had to be complete horsesh.... This board (or whatever variation of it ) was wildly supportive of Tubby when the rest of the state was ready to run him out on a rail. I doubt he had 90% support in 2000, much less 2005

This board has always been more supportive of the coach than the general populace. even if it seems like 50% of the folks are complaining (its probably more like 20% with another 50% just not posting enough positive or negative to change the perception)

Not Cal's fault. He simply does not have the horses this year. It is a bridge year at best. Will be adding much needed 3 point shooters. Needs to add more than just Herro however so keep looking Cal. They are out there

Again as posted every single time, we lost out on 2 major recruits who would have made a difference. Richards was known to be a project and now we can see why. Young was supposedly going to be our point guard.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Cal needs to stick with Shai, Knox, Wenyen, PJ, Vanderbilt, and Quade the vast majority of 2nd halves going forward. Diallo only should play first half minutes unless he takes a giant leap in his play.

If we are gonna make the tournament Diallo can't play anymore than spot minutes rest of the way. Cals change tonight was starting Wenyen over PJ. That's not enough. He has to play Vanderbilt almost a full game. The only chance we have is Vanderbilt, Knox and Jones on front line. SGA and Green at guard. PJ and Wenyen will be the same off bench as starting. They'll either have it that night or they won't. Richards subs for rest. Cals insistence on showcasing a couple guys is gonna land us in the NIT.

Again as posted every single time, we lost out on 2 major recruits who would have made a difference. Richards was known to be a project and now we can see why. Young was supposedly going to be our point guard.

Young gives me heartburn.

Young wasn't a kid that was going to get a mugshot, he wasn't a kid that (from what I can tell) was going to tank on the schoolwork, and he wasn't a kid that going to embarrass the UK uniform.

Yes, his dad (or him) were making demands to come play and while I don't readily have an answer as to how you deal with that, making a deal with Young couldn't have been more painful that what Cal is going thru with this team.

Winning cures all ills. and we're pretty damn sick right now.

Said it before. Say it again. This is a rebuild year. Just like after 2012. We went to NIT. Just like after 2014. We are out second round.
Last year was our year and we had it taken from us by shit Ref job. We'll get some players back and make a ok run next year. We'll all sit back next year with some vets and watch DUke melt down with the top three players recruits.

Umm..he needs to call Bo Ryan and have him mail his coaching back to him. Cal hasn't been the same since Bo Ryan castrated him back in 2015 with all of those horrible mismatches with Booker and/or Ulis guarding Kaminsky.

Yea, we were terrible last year.

It would've been a horrible shooting team either way, but Bamba would've made a massive difference. Not getting him was a surprise, and it turned out to be a crushing blow. And Baker getting hurt took the much-needed shooter out of the rotation. Not that Cal would've played him over Diallo (not enough stars by his name) but someone to come in and drain a 3 or two off the bench would be a nice addition. Yeah, maybe he couldn't guard anyone, but no one on this team will ever be confused with being a defensive stopper.

This point is, I don't agree with the criticism of Cal for the way he built this team. A recruiting swerve that few predicted and an injury forced us to start a project at center, who doesn't make anyone around him better, and keeps a guard playing heavy minutes that couldn't score in an empty gym right now.

Let's not lay it all at Hami's feet. Quade pulled a Briscoe and stepped out of bounds when he had a wide open jumper. Collectively, these kids have a low basketball IQ coupled with a lack of confidence with no leader.

Reactions: brianpoe
Yea, we were terrible last year.

Up until some time in February last year, we actually kinda were..that team couldn't stop no damn body until late in the year. They gave up 85 points to a 2-16 (In the SEC) LSU at home in a sloppy 92-85 win after losing two in a row to UT and Kansas and getting stomped at Florida..and then they finally woke up..and it helped that we beat up on a crappy SEC the last half of the season. Everybody sucked except UK, Florida,and Arkansas..and then South Carolina got hot late. Everybody else was garbage in the SEC. That said though, we did get screwed by Higgins vs. UNC in the Elite 8. And the 2016 team played no defense the entire year.

Up until some time in February last year, we actually kinda were..that team couldn't stop no damn body until late in the year. They gave up 85 points to a 2-16 (In the SEC) LSU at home in a sloppy 92-85 win after losing two in a row to UT and Kansas and getting stomped at Florida..and then they finally woke up..and it helped that we beat up on a crappy SEC the last half of the season. Everybody sucked except UK, Florida,and Arkansas..and then South Carolina got hot late. Everybody else was garbage in the SEC. That said though, we did get screwed by Higgins vs. UNC in the Elite 8. And the 2016 team played no defense the entire year.

Defense was little rough at times but there was no time in the season that that I felt D Fox couldn't take over a game. It's what we are missing this year. A point guard that can drive and slow down the game at any moment. Someone to settle everyone down and get them to positions. I also think our fast break game this year is atrocious. You have 2 on 1 with open player underbasket and we don't dish.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I know Knox disappears from time to time and he had a 10 minute gap vs Auburn where he didn't take a shot. Question is why was Calipari surprised by that? UK has a bench full of asst coaches, all kinds of stat guys charting every play...why didn't somebody take the time to point this out to him? Why didn't somebody say: "Our leading scorer hasn't taken a shot in the last 10 minutes."

Are low post guys taught to post up their man? Seldom see it even vs a small front court like Auburn's.

I know Knox disappears from time to time and he had a 10 minute gap vs Auburn where he didn't take a shot. Question is why was Calipari surprised by that? UK has a bench full of asst coaches, all kinds of stat guys charting every play...why didn't somebody take the time to point this out to him? Why didn't somebody say: "Our leading scorer hasn't taken a shot in the last 10 minutes."

Are low post guys taught to post up their man? Seldom see it even vs a small front court like Auburn's.
Cal, was subbing Knox & Vanderbilt (offense / defense) the last three minutes, We got a stop & got the ball back right around the three minute mark down four, we had two time outs I do not understand why Cal didn't call a timeout & get Knox in the game, we ended up turning the ball over & Auburn with a run out for a wide open three.

Reactions: brianpoe
And the Washington shove at mid court that handed them the ball back in a critical time.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

but Diallo does awesome msucle man poses after he scores 2 points!

He HAS to flex after making two points because who knows when he might score again. He can’t miss that one opportunity in a game. Seriously, he’s playing poorly and doesn’t seem to play with team in mind. Very disappointing. I hope he can figure it out and begin playing much better.

Yeah, and when we come out of the timeout up 4 the best play we can come up with is a Diallo corner 3. The bottomline is that is either TERRIBLE coaching or they players just won't listen to Cal. Why in the world would you not run a play for Knox!

Reactions: mrschwump
I really feel like in the UT and Auburn game if Cal calls a timeout when we are up with the ball and draws up the right play we win both games. I mean that is a pretty fine line but the guy gets paid millions so let him draw up some plays.

Reactions: GCASE
I don’t see him losing any support except the lunatic fringe who won’t be happy with any coach or results.
I don't think it's the lunatic fringe. We as fans understand 'missing' on recruits. It happens. But even if they don't live up to their stars, they still have a lot of talent. They should be playing better than this, plus there's obviously been some pretty bad in game coaching decisions.

I don't think it's the lunatic fringe. We as fans understand 'missing' on recruits. It happens. But even if they don't live up to their stars, they still have a lot of talent. They should be playing better than this, plus there's obviously been some pretty bad in game coaching decisions.
But you posted yourself a Cal shouldn’t give fired. That tells me you support him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT