ADVERTISEMENT

Cal has ruined this years team

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
This team had it all going for them for this season. This was supposed to be the season! The last 3 halves though show we can’t do the basics. Can’t defend, can’t rebound, can’t even pass and catch the ball. That in and of itself cost us the tamu game. It doesn’t matter what he’s trying to put together for March because by then we will end up a 6/7 seed.

This team had it all going for them for this season. This was supposed to be the season! The last 3 halves though show we can’t do the basics. Can’t defend, can’t rebound, can’t even pass and catch the ball. That in and of itself cost us the tamu game. It doesn’t matter what he’s trying to put together for March because by then we will end up a 6/7 seed.
How has he ruined it?
We can't score. Missing wide open shots

Held them to 26 points. What do you mean no defense?

Cal has missed a bunch of layups though.

He does need to fix that.

We were clicking when we were a perimeter oriented team, now we are driving to the hole way too much and taking contested layups. We have only taken 8 in the first half tonight. Not counting ugos he was forced to take. Shep is even driving instead of taking jump shots. Just madness.

Held them to 26 points. What do you mean no defense?

Cal has missed a bunch of layups though.

He does need to fix that.
Listen guy do you understand balance? This team is far from it. And your lame comment about missing blah blah blah. You proved my point. This team lacks execution of fundamental basketball. Every game we lose or struggle the clown group asks “does cal shoot the fts” “does he pass the ball”. No he doesn’t but he is the teacher and his team looks uneducated and undisciplined. You and the cal cult have no clue the importance of coaching is on execution. What these guys do on the court is a product of what they have been taught and traine on. Or why the hell do we even need a coach? Especially pay a guy 9 million and load his staff? Why? We can’t make layups? That’s on the coaches. Do you understand how that works???

How has he ruined it?
We can't score. Missing wide open shots
You got three 7 footers and three great 3 pointer shooters, but they can’t get the 7 footers shots around the rim or our shooters (especially Reed) quality open 3s. That’s on the coach because it’s obvious Cal has no knowledge how to do this. You can’t argue with how the last 3 half’s UK has played about that.

He has all the talent but no idea how to use it. Basically playground ball, one on one hoping to beat their man to score. We all know Cal has to have more talent to have a Chance to win. We now realize that his lack of knowledge prevents even that from happening.

We were clicking when we were a perimeter oriented team, now we are driving to the hole way too much and taking contested layups. We have only taken 8 in the first half tonight. Not counting ugos he was forced to take. Shep is even driving instead of taking jump shots. Just madness.
It reeks of Calipari putting his grubby hands all over the team.

You got three 7 footers and three great 3 pointer shooters, but they can’t get the 7 footers shots around the rim or our shooters (especially Reed) quality open 3s. That’s on the coach because it’s obvious Cal has no knowledge how to do this. You can’t argue with how the last 3 half’s UK has played about that.

He has all the talent but no idea how to use it. Basically playground ball, one on one hoping to beat their man to score. We all know Cal has to have more talent to have a Chance to win. We now realize that his lack of knowledge prevents even that from happening.
Did he ruin them when they were making shots?

I like DJ, but I'm so freaking sick of watching him miss those left hand layups!!!!! I don't believe he can use his right hand. What's happening with Reed?? I sure have missed these rockfights!!!

Dont forget can’t even make a layup

What???? They are not getting shots! That’s
the point of my post! You sure you’re watching UK? Lol
That's what I meant
Was it his fault when they were rolling making shots?
They are getting plenty of open shots they weren't making them in the first half
Has nothing to do with a coach

Reactions: BlueTick2
Missing shots today give up 95 tomorrow. This isn’t a complete team that plays sound fundamental basketball on both ends
If you judge a team based on their worst games of the year you can always make the argument the coach ruined the team and that the team can't play fundamental basketball, but it's still short sited.

Did Kansas fans think Bill Self ruined the team when they lost at 6-11 WVU? Did UConn fans think Hurley ruined the team when they lost to Seton Hall by 15? Or when they lost 6 of 8 last year midway through the season? Did Purdue fans think Painter ruined the team when they lost to a team that had just previous lost to Chicago St? Or when they lost to Nebraska by 16?

It's a long season. Judging anything based on small sample sized is just not accurate. We've seen this team play great basketball this year. With a lot of freshmen things are inconsistent, and it's not uncommon to half a lull around this point in the year as they learn to adjust to how other teams have adjusted to them after watching half a season of tape.

Reactions: FinancialPlannerZac
There’s one primary thing that needs to be done and I think Calipari even knows it, but it involves swallowing his pride. Reed Shephard needs to be the primary point guard. He see’s the floor better than anyone else, pass first player that makes everyone else around him better. It’s obvious to almost everyone. DJ doesn’t see the floor that well and has more of a scorer mentality. Dillingham is super fast and probably has the most NBA potential, but his floor vision doesn’t seem as good as Reeds, and he’s more of a scorer. We won the Arkansas game because of Cal finally putting it in Reeds hands at PG.
Other than that, defense has to improve but I actually think I saw a little improvement against Arkansas and Ugo is the best defender we have at the center position

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
There’s one primary thing that needs to be done and I think Calipari even knows it, but it involves swallowing his pride. Reed Shephard needs to be the primary point guard. He see’s the floor better than anyone else, pass first player that makes everyone else around him better. It’s obvious to almost everyone. DJ doesn’t see the floor that well and has more of a scorer mentality. Dillingham is super fast and probably has the most NBA potential, but his floor vision doesn’t seem as good as Reeds, and he’s more of a scorer. We won the Arkansas game because of Cal finally putting it in Reeds hands at PG.
Other than that, defense has to improve but I actually think I saw a little improvement against Arkansas and Ugo is the best defender we have at the center position
UK averaged 90 pts a game without Sheppard being the primary point guard. Led all of D1 basketball.

Everyone freaking out over a couple poor offensive performances on the road haha.

Like UK wasn't going to have a few games where they sputtered offensively and didn't put up 90 pts.

UK averaged 90 pts a game without Sheppard being the primary point guard. Led all of D1 basketball.

Everyone freaking out over a couple poor offensive performances on the road haha.

Like UK wasn't going to have a few games where they sputtered offensively and didn't put up 90 pts.
UK still looked best in those games while Reed was facilitating the offense. As you saw in the past 2 games, they’re not always going to be able to score 90. Road sec games are tough. Probably very few if any easy games left on the schedule

Reactions: KFuqua
UK still looked best in those games while Reed was facilitating the offense. As you saw in the past 2 games, they’re not always going to be able to score 90. Road sec games are tough. Probably very few if any easy games left on the schedule
Cal agrees. Which is why even before last night Reed was running the point for two thirds of the game. He's getting 67% of the minutes at PG and the top 2 most used lineups have him at PG.

I think many people believed that the trade off for emphasizing defense was going to be lower scoring games.

will that continue? it shouldn't be a mutually exclusive thing

C8tTXcg.png

Listen guy do you understand balance? This team is far from it. And your lame comment about missing blah blah blah. You proved my point. This team lacks execution of fundamental basketball. Every game we lose or struggle the clown group asks “does cal shoot the fts” “does he pass the ball”. No he doesn’t but he is the teacher and his team looks uneducated and undisciplined. You and the cal cult have no clue the importance of coaching is on execution. What these guys do on the court is a product of what they have been taught and traine on. Or why the hell do we even need a coach? Especially pay a guy 9 million and load his staff? Why? We can’t make layups? That’s on the coaches. Do you understand how that works???
I'm curious, in your elite level expert opinion on coaching, who's the best coach in college basketball right now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT