ADVERTISEMENT

KHSAA Sweet 16 OFFICIAL THREAD

I read that the original idea behind it is that it helps fans not have to stay another night and pay for a hotel. I don't really believe that as the championship ends late anyway and people are probably already staying if they're not already in
That’s the public statement to say ‘we do this for you, not for us’ but to your point most people for two teams in the championship game are either staying that next night or not right now by having a late game. If the schools are far away they already stay. If they are within a couple of hours away they aren’t having to stay at all unless they just choose to.

Reactions: VaxxedObamaCat
Lyon County 61 Newport 46

Lyon County has 298 students. They don't have a football team. When was the last time a school with no football team won the Sweet 16?
My mother is 87 and a Lyon County grad. She's super excited. I'm guessing their chances vs Male are slim, but you never know I guess.

Actually Lyon County plays the winner of North Laurel and Winchester GR Clark. Lyon already beat North Laurel early in the season. Weird scheduling today. I think maybe they wanted Lexington Douglass to play at night for attendance, so they switched Douglass and Lyon Co. tip times today.

Reactions: wkycatfan

Lyon County has 298 students. They don't have a football team. When was the last time a school with no football team won the Sweet 16?

Oh yeah, and Travis Perry broke the all-time state scoring record that stood for 67 years, AND HE'S JUST A JUNIOR.
They won easily also. Very proud of those young men!

Oh yeah, and Travis Perry broke the all-time state scoring record that stood for 67 years, AND HE'S JUST A JUNIOR.
Just being a junior is insane. Did this kid play in middle school?

Ah, just looked it up. So he did it in five versus Kelly's four?

Last edited:
GRC is very good. North Laurel is mediocre at best without Reed. 29-21 at the half. Reed has:
16 pts
2 reb
4 blocks
2 steals

He's the real deal folks, and he's head and shoulders better than Perry all around.

Reactions: VaxxedObamaCat
Yeah came here to post and update. Reed is legit. Don’t understand the Herald Leader’s rankings as North Laurel is a one-man team.

GRC vs Warren Central in a state title game rematch looks like a huge possibility.

Reactions: MbergCat
Yeah came here to post and update. Reed is legit. Don’t understand the Herald Leader’s rankings as North Laurel is a one-man team.

GRC vs Warren Central in a state title game rematch looks like a huge possibility.
I don't know that Frederick Douglas isn't the best team I've seen so far. Them, Male, GRC, and Warren Central seem to be far and away the best teams here.

Reactions: barbourfor3
GRC is very good. North Laurel is mediocre at best without Reed. 29-21 at the half. Reed has:
16 pts
2 reb
4 blocks
2 steals

He's the real deal folks, and he's head and shoulders better than Perry all around.
Jeff Sheppard is one of if not my all time favorite Cats. I’m really glad Reed is coming here to play. That being said his defense needs a lot of work. He gambles too much, so he should fit right into Cows system. And he might want to learn to rebound a little.

You guys are going to be believers in Lyon Co tomorrow night! And Perry is much better than Reed. I am biased however.

• Haha
I’m a Male High fan - played there one year back in the day - kids went there - Eldon kids are fun - lost there top 2 prospects to transfers before season - great job getting back to Sweet 16 but Warren Central will win this thing. They play the right way surprised they lost any games at all

Jeff Sheppard is one of if not my all time favorite Cats. I’m really glad Reed is coming here to play. That being said his defense needs a lot of work. He gambles too much, so he should fit right into Cows system. And he might want to learn to rebound a little.
Yeah Cow likes his players to gamble LOL

Watched North several times this year. They gamble a lot as a whole to try and push the pace. They’re a two man team and play better when they can get Sheppard into transition situations. Whenever they try to lock down, the game is always closer because the supporting cast isn’t too strong. Only thing I can figure with the rankings was the Reed hype. They really should have lost the first game in the regional tourney but the opposing team got into foul trouble.

Reactions: KYExtemper and ck-2
Yeah Cow likes his players to gamble LOL
They gamble on defense helping off too much, year after year. That leads to the wide open threes. It’s a staple of his teams like man to man and giving up buckets out of bounds underneath.

Watched North several times this year. They gamble a lot as a whole to try and push the pace. They’re a two man team and play better when they can get Sheppard into transition situations. Whenever they try to lock down, the game is always closer because the supporting cast isn’t too strong. Only thing I can figure with the rankings was the Reed hype. They really should have lost the first game in the regional tourney but the opposing team got into foul trouble.
Yes you’re right, I could tell they were a two man team after watching a few mins. They kinda play like they’re coached to run to the defensive end as soon as the shot goes up. Like they get beat down the floor a lot. I have watched a few of their games online. I’m glad to have Reed and think he will develop into a great player if allowed.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
He does gamble a lot, but his basketball iq is through the roof. Super crafty, and surprisingly shifty. He's a legit UK recruit.

Yes you’re right, I could tell they were a two man team after watching a few mins. They kinda play like they’re coached to run to the defensive end as soon as the shot goes up. Like they get beat down the floor a lot. I have watched a few of their games online. I’m glad to have Reed and think he will develop into a great player if allowed.
I agree. His passing and vision was what impressed me the most over his career. He has really developed his shot. I was on the fence about his defensive ability but he impressed me in his AAU games of all places. He defended well when he was playing other top players while on a team with other great players. Hope he pans out but I think he’ll be solid after a couple years.

Reactions: ck-2
North Laurel was never really in the game. They cut it to like seven with two minutes to go but GRC was clearly the better team.
They were the better team. Would’ve liked to have seen what would’ve happened if the ref didn’t blow that call when NL cut it to seven and had a breakaway before getting tripped and no foul called then GRC made the lead 10 next possession. Possible six point swing.

But GRC is so quick and can shoot. I hope we get to see them against Frederick Douglass in the semis.

Best four teams in the tournament after watching:
1. Frederick Douglas
2. Warren Central
3. GRC
4. Male

After that, Lyon is a sleeper.

To all the people that are saying Perry isn't really catching king Kelly because he played more.... So?! Not speaking of the comments on this thread, I've seen them all over. Alot of kids have played more over 65 years and never got close. All records have dif stats about them. Kelly played in a time where nobody could guard him and he was the only talent on floor some nights.

Seeing a windmill dunk, an off-the-backboard pass for a dunk, and an alley-oop all in the same game with Frederick Douglass today, that may be the first time I've ever seen that in the KHSAA State Tourney.

Crazy. Can't find the windmill dunk.

Warren Central has absolutely no one in the top bracket that will challenge them. I'm sure they will get Woodford County in the semis but that bottom half is awesome.

MIght be the end of the road for Lyon County vs GRC. However Lyon has represented well.

MIght be the end of the road for Lyon County vs GRC. However Lyon has represented well.
That’s possible. GRC looked good. Lyon has several players that can hit from 3 so you never know. FWIW- being a bit biased- I think Lyon wins a nail biter. I wouldn’t put money on that though.

Reactions: wkycatfan
This is not a criticism of Reed, but at times I think he needed to be more selfish and score more plus I think the coach did a horrible job running an offense that got Reed more scoring opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT