ADVERTISEMENT

Sweet 16 Thread

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
Magoffin County avenged an early season loss to Perry County and picked up their first ever Sweet 16 win, 54-47.

Lyon County came from down 41-34 with 5 minutes left to stay alive against Ashland Blazer 45-43. Future Wildcat Travis Perry went 1-7 on threes.

Magoffin most likely gets future Wildcat (hopefully) 7'1" Malachi Moreno next, assuming Georgetown Great Crossing gets by Spencer County tonight.

Lyon plays the winner of Adair County versus Marshall County. Lyon beat Adair 98-48 last month, and Lyon would probably be favored by 20 against Marshall County as well.

I think Lyon will settle in now that they know they will be in Lexington for a few days. Here is the Sweet 16 program.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK67KU59
I can’t believe there are no Lexington teams in it, where are my Commodores? Those of you still in the area, are the Lex teams being out recruited by the other local powers? Whats the reason(s) for their decline? Thanks

I can’t believe there are no Lexington teams in it, where are my Commodores? Those of you still in the area, are the Lex teams being out recruited by the other local powers? Whats the reason(s) for their decline? Thanks
11th Region final highlights. Georgetown Great Crossing over Lex Cath

Reactions: flacat22
Pulling for Harlan County!
They have a chance to win a couple games. Great 1-2 punch. Have who I think is the best SR high school player in the state and a really good JR pg/sg who is getting low level D-1 interest. Short bench but they’re battle tested. Watched them several times this season and in the regional tournament. Noah is underrated as a 3 star. Averaged around 30 ppg on 50+, 40+, 80 shooting split at 6’7”. Can handle it and shoot the lights out. Big, strong kid. He’s legit.

OK, what the heck is the deal with Evangel Christian? This has to be a basketball factory, right? The program says they have an enrollment of 37. There are 15 listed on the varsity roster, and I assume they have JV and Freshman teams. I never want Kentucky to go to classes based on enrollment. But it really isn't fair that public schools have to compete with teams like this. Go Butler County!

Last edited:
The tourney changes everything. Lots of games get tighter. Hopefully they do.

One thing I've learned over the years is that the tournament favors physical teams, because not a lot of fouls get called. That's how Blazer almost took out Lyon County yesterday. Those Ashland boys were packing some weight around. Radio said they had 4 D1 footballers on the team.

One thing I've learned over the years is that the tournament favors physical teams, because not a lot of fouls get called. That's how Blazer almost took out Lyon County yesterday. Those Ashland boys were packing some weight around. Radio said they had 4 D1 footballers on the team.
That is false unless we are talking FCS level than it could be true.

OK, what the heck is the deal with Evangel Christian? This has to be a basketball factory, right? The program says they have an enrollment of 37. There are 15 listed on the varsity roster, and I assume they have JV and Freshman teams. I never want Kentucky to go to classes based on enrollment. But it really isn't fair that public schools have to compete with teams like this. Go Butler County!
Similar thoughts once I saw enrollment earlier this year. Where is it?

Thanks for posting about the ORIGINAL "Sweet Sixteen" ! I went with my parents to every game of every State Tournament from 1952 through 1965. Howie Crittenden and Doodles Floyd won it for the Cuba Cubs in '52 ! I was 5. My fondest memory is seeing King Kelly Coleman go for 68 points in the Consolation Game of the 1956 tournament. King Kelly and his Wayland Wasps lost by 1 in the semifinals to Carr Creek, the Champ that year. Wayland beat Bell County 122 to 89 in that Consolation Game. For a long time (and maybe, still) that was the highest number of total points scored in a State Tournament game. Best All State Tournament Team ever, IMHO, was '63 ... Clem Haskins (Taylor Co.), Dwight Smith (Princeton Dotson), Mike Redd (Seneca), Wes Unseld (Seneca, a junior), Charley Taylor (Owensboro Sr.), George Wilson (Dunbar). I can't remember the others.
Thanks for bringing back those great memories !

That was 37 k-12 is what they said on the telecast. Somehow they find two or three 6'6"+ kids while most of the teams in Kentucky are lucky to find 6'3" kids..

That is false unless we are talking FCS level than it could be true.
They have two sure fire D1 players in JR SG/PG Braxton Jennings & SO PG Cam Davis. SF Asher Adkins will be playing football at Centre next year, IIRC. And, C Nate Freize signed to play at a smaller school, too, but I can’t remember where. So, two D1 & two lower division players.

Interesting stat, Ashland played two of the top 3 scoring teams in the state in their last two games (Boyd Co #3 & Lyon Co #1) & held both to 47 or less, without playing stall ball. Their defense is legit & physical. And, they made life pretty hard for Perry, yesterday.

Reactions: FtWorthCat and nptb
Campbell upsets Newport in a thriller. Newport looked as tight as UK tonight. I was watching both at the same time, 1-live, and it was like I was in a parallel universe.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
At least I get to follow Lyon County's amazing run for another day or two. I wish I was in Lexington so I could go watch some guys worth watching today.

That was 37 k-12 is what they said on the telecast. Somehow they find two or three 6'6"+ kids while most of the teams in Kentucky are lucky to find 6'3" kids..
My sister lives in Louisville and sends my nephew to Trinity. She said she really doesn't know what Evangel Christian is about. She said she thought it was legit, or at least used to be. I don't see how it is anything but a private school set up to conveniently be located in Region 6 instead of 7, for the purpose of basketball. At least Trinity and Evangel play each other today.

Thanks for posting about the ORIGINAL "Sweet Sixteen" ! I went with my parents to every game of every State Tournament from 1952 through 1965. Howie Crittenden and Doodles Floyd won it for the Cuba Cubs in '52 ! I was 5. My fondest memory is seeing King Kelly Coleman go for 68 points in the Consolation Game of the 1956 tournament. King Kelly and his Wayland Wasps lost by 1 in the semifinals to Carr Creek, the Champ that year. Wayland beat Bell County 122 to 89 in that Consolation Game. For a long time (and maybe, still) that was the highest number of total points scored in a State Tournament game. Best All State Tournament Team ever, IMHO, was '63 ... Clem Haskins (Taylor Co.), Dwight Smith (Princeton Dotson), Mike Redd (Seneca), Wes Unseld (Seneca, a junior), Charley Taylor (Owensboro Sr.), George Wilson (Dunbar). I can't remember the others.
Thanks for bringing back those great memories !
I played against Howie Crittenden, Jr.

Great Crossing blows out Magoffin. Moreno had 16/15/4 in 19 minutes.

Lyon County vs Adair next. Lyon has never made the S16 semifinals before.

Lyon beats Adair Co. 80-65. Showdown with Great Crossing tomorrow morning in Rupp. Lyon hasn't brought their A game yet, but they better bring it tomorrow. Perry had about 20 on 4-9 threes last time I looked.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT