ADVERTISEMENT

KHSAA Sweet 16

I graduated from Russell in 96. Elliott back in those days weren’t very good. It was usually Boyd or Ashland that made it out of our region. We had a few good teams but never made it out.
I'm in Fort Worth and work with a guy that graduated from Russell in the '80's. What are the odds of that?

I graduated from Russell in 96. Elliott back in those days weren’t very good. It was usually Boyd or Ashland that made it out of our region. We had a few good teams but never made it out.
Didn't Ashland win state one year in the '60's?

I have no idea but I’d say there’s a pretty good chance. I saw something today that listed the most tournament wins and appearances and what not and blazer was up there on a bunch of categories.
I just looked it up and they won in 1961. They actually have four state titles but that was the most recent.

Yep, I remember that Ashland Blazer always had good teams. As I recall, they were Number 1 in the state for a while in 1973 and we played them at Prestonsburg that season.
Elliott has had their number the past few years.
Here's a write up from 1/23/2009 Joe B hall said some nice things.

Elliott County Lions: Small town boys...Big time basketball
  • Jan 23, 2009

From Jonathan Morgan’s happy socks to hambugers and fries at the Sandy Hook Penny Mart after a game, the Elliott County Lions are certainly the heart and soul of their community.

The Lions, ranked No. 1 statewide in various ratings, have put their quaint little town on the map, as people from across Kentucky have gathered in various gymnasiums and arenas to watch the boys from eastern Kentucky proudly sport their maroon, black and white colors – and play like there’s no tomorrow.

Former University of Kentucky Coach Joe B. Hall was scouting a tournament Jan. 10 and said he expects the team to go all the way to state. “You certainly know how to wear your jerseys,” Hall commented to the Lions following a win at the Kentucky Prep Classic in Mt. Sterling. “You are a great team, and I will see you at Rupp Arena.”

Hall was referring to the upcoming state tournament that will be played in Lexington. The Lions have won two straight 16th Region titles, losing to Warren Central in the State Tournament quarterfinals in 2007 and to Mason County in the first round of last season’s Sweet 16.

Elliott County returned all five starters from this past season’s team with four of them averaging double figures – Jonathan Ferguson (30.0 ppg), Timmy Knipp (20.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg), Ethan Faulkner (18.4 ppg, 8.4 rpg), and Evan Faulkner (15.2 ppg.)

The team is presently 15-1 with only one out-of-state loss to Cedar Hill Texas during the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach Dec. 26-31.

Fresh off the beachside court and named the consolation bracket winners, the Lions went up against the Rowan County Vikings on their home court Jan. 2 to win the game 90-44.

Although the Lions haven’t been without hard-hitting competition, when a game against the West Carter Comets Jan. 6 proved to be challenging for the Sandy Hook team.

Soon after the game begun, signs were hung on the outside of the Comets gymnasium door stating no future admittance, as the facility was at full capacity.

Both sides of the arena roared as their teams sunk basket-after-basket and made foul after foul.

The rival teams battled it out to the very end, in what was called a “good game” complete with several nail-biting moments.

During the beginning of the fourth quarter, the game was tied 55-55 – and with merely six minutes to go – the Comets pulled off another two points to lead the game, but then Elliott clawed their way to a 77-65 win.

The Lions went on to lay the hammer down on Lewis County Jan. 9, with an easy 95-47 victory on their home court with a score of 28-8 at the end of the first quarter.

But then matters got a little hairy the next day, when the Lions went up against the Anderson County Bearcats in the 18th annual Kentucky Prep Classic.

The Lions did pull off a 76-72 win, but the game was sent into over time when Bearcats’ forward Jacob Russell threw the ball from the right corner – with only two seconds left – and snatched a 3-pointer. The crowd went wild, but Elliott was able to pull off another game to win 76-72.

Lions Coach Rick Mays said the team enters any court without fear. “They don’t care how big the other teams’ boys are, they just get out there and do their best,” he said following the Myrtle Beach win. “

Just as many athletes choose to have distinctive identities, the Lions’ Jonathan Ferguson and Jonathan Morgan sport some rather unusual attire as their own personal signature markings.

In fact, during the Jan. 10 game against Anderson, one of the Bearcats was heard asking their coach if they could “get socks like that.”

The quirky socks, worn by Morgan and Ferguson, have become somewhat of a good luck charm for the team, as the two Elliott County High School seniors wore the foot apparel during every game, up until the Jan. 12 competition against the East Carter Raiders.

Some Lions fans were heard talking about the socks and wondered why Morgan wasn’t wearing his happy face socks and why Ferguson wasn’t sporting his colorful Christmas foot wear.

The game against the Raiders packed in a crowd as the Lions hit 53 percent and snatched a 74-52 win against the Carter County team.

During the pre-game warm-up, Evan Faulkner was asked about his team and what it takes to win.

“We are a big family that hits the court to do our best at every game,” he commented. “All of us love playing together and that’s how we win – We love the game and respect our teammates and coaches,” Faulkner said.

The Lions competed Saturday in the 16th Region All “A” Classic in Frenchburg. In the first round of the tournament, Elliott beat the Fairview Eagles 96-44. In the second round Tuesday, they feasted on the Menifee County Wildcats with a 112-69 win. The championship will be played tonight, as the Lions compete against the Rose Hill Royals.

Assistant coaches for the Lions are Greg Adkins, Joe Markwell, Roy Whitt and Matthew Spencer.

0 comments

Elliott has had their number the past few years.
Here's a write up from 1/23/2009 Joe B hall said some nice things.

Elliott County Lions: Small town boys...Big time basketball
  • Jan 23, 2009

From Jonathan Morgan’s happy socks to hambugers and fries at the Sandy Hook Penny Mart after a game, the Elliott County Lions are certainly the heart and soul of their community.

The Lions, ranked No. 1 statewide in various ratings, have put their quaint little town on the map, as people from across Kentucky have gathered in various gymnasiums and arenas to watch the boys from eastern Kentucky proudly sport their maroon, black and white colors – and play like there’s no tomorrow.

Former University of Kentucky Coach Joe B. Hall was scouting a tournament Jan. 10 and said he expects the team to go all the way to state. “You certainly know how to wear your jerseys,” Hall commented to the Lions following a win at the Kentucky Prep Classic in Mt. Sterling. “You are a great team, and I will see you at Rupp Arena.”

Hall was referring to the upcoming state tournament that will be played in Lexington. The Lions have won two straight 16th Region titles, losing to Warren Central in the State Tournament quarterfinals in 2007 and to Mason County in the first round of last season’s Sweet 16.

Elliott County returned all five starters from this past season’s team with four of them averaging double figures – Jonathan Ferguson (30.0 ppg), Timmy Knipp (20.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg), Ethan Faulkner (18.4 ppg, 8.4 rpg), and Evan Faulkner (15.2 ppg.)

The team is presently 15-1 with only one out-of-state loss to Cedar Hill Texas during the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach Dec. 26-31.

Fresh off the beachside court and named the consolation bracket winners, the Lions went up against the Rowan County Vikings on their home court Jan. 2 to win the game 90-44.

Although the Lions haven’t been without hard-hitting competition, when a game against the West Carter Comets Jan. 6 proved to be challenging for the Sandy Hook team.

Soon after the game begun, signs were hung on the outside of the Comets gymnasium door stating no future admittance, as the facility was at full capacity.

Both sides of the arena roared as their teams sunk basket-after-basket and made foul after foul.

The rival teams battled it out to the very end, in what was called a “good game” complete with several nail-biting moments.

During the beginning of the fourth quarter, the game was tied 55-55 – and with merely six minutes to go – the Comets pulled off another two points to lead the game, but then Elliott clawed their way to a 77-65 win.

The Lions went on to lay the hammer down on Lewis County Jan. 9, with an easy 95-47 victory on their home court with a score of 28-8 at the end of the first quarter.

But then matters got a little hairy the next day, when the Lions went up against the Anderson County Bearcats in the 18th annual Kentucky Prep Classic.

The Lions did pull off a 76-72 win, but the game was sent into over time when Bearcats’ forward Jacob Russell threw the ball from the right corner – with only two seconds left – and snatched a 3-pointer. The crowd went wild, but Elliott was able to pull off another game to win 76-72.

Lions Coach Rick Mays said the team enters any court without fear. “They don’t care how big the other teams’ boys are, they just get out there and do their best,” he said following the Myrtle Beach win. “

Just as many athletes choose to have distinctive identities, the Lions’ Jonathan Ferguson and Jonathan Morgan sport some rather unusual attire as their own personal signature markings.

In fact, during the Jan. 10 game against Anderson, one of the Bearcats was heard asking their coach if they could “get socks like that.”

The quirky socks, worn by Morgan and Ferguson, have become somewhat of a good luck charm for the team, as the two Elliott County High School seniors wore the foot apparel during every game, up until the Jan. 12 competition against the East Carter Raiders.

Some Lions fans were heard talking about the socks and wondered why Morgan wasn’t wearing his happy face socks and why Ferguson wasn’t sporting his colorful Christmas foot wear.

The game against the Raiders packed in a crowd as the Lions hit 53 percent and snatched a 74-52 win against the Carter County team.

During the pre-game warm-up, Evan Faulkner was asked about his team and what it takes to win.

“We are a big family that hits the court to do our best at every game,” he commented. “All of us love playing together and that’s how we win – We love the game and respect our teammates and coaches,” Faulkner said.

The Lions competed Saturday in the 16th Region All “A” Classic in Frenchburg. In the first round of the tournament, Elliott beat the Fairview Eagles 96-44. In the second round Tuesday, they feasted on the Menifee County Wildcats with a 112-69 win. The championship will be played tonight, as the Lions compete against the Rose Hill Royals.

Assistant coaches for the Lions are Greg Adkins, Joe Markwell, Roy Whitt and Matthew Spencer.

0 comments
Nice article. Love to see teams from small communities do well.

Scott county has built a new school called Great Crossing HS which will open next fall. Currently Scott County is the largest HS in KY
Oh, that's the first I'd heard of it. Thank you. Scott county is good at football and basketball. Wonder how this affects them.

I went to the Region 1 finals and saw the worst officiated game in my life. I don't know what Region they were from but if that's their best, well....they missed 2 calls at the end of the game, inside 4 minutes, they called charging and it was obvious blocks, two calls were game changers/. Cost Mccracken the championship...now, go Mayfield. Small ball indeed, scrappers, might win a couple of games until they hit the tall boys. FCC..

Graduate of Paul Blazer here....Go Tomcats!
I don't know how old you are but we played Ashland in 1972 when they were ranked No. 1 in the state in mid-season. They had a great team that year but I think they got upset in the regional.

Cat scratch, I was indeed a 10th grader at that time but don’t remember the game...I believe that Blazer also had one of the top bands in the nation that year. They were incredible!

Cat scratch, I was indeed a 10th grader at that time but don’t remember the game...I believe that Blazer also had one of the top bands in the nation that year. They were incredible!
I was a Sophomore at the time and I played at Prestonsburg. I remember the hype prior to the game. We were only an average team at best and really didn't have much of a chance against your school. I think it ended up being about a 15 point win for Ashland. Do you remember any players named Kleykamp that played for Paul Blazer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT