ADVERTISEMENT

KHSAA Sweet 16 OFFICIAL THREAD

VaxxedObamaCat

Sophomore
Aug 1, 2022
The games are all set. Again, the random regional pairings result in one bracket being stacked while the other one is much weaker. Of the top 5 teams, four are in the bottom part of the bracket.
How the Herald-Leader has them ranked is below.

11 Elizabethtown
13 McCracken County

9 Jeffersontown
6 Woodford County

2 Warren Central
14 Pulaski County

12 Owensboro
7 Ashland Blazer

5 Frederick Douglass
16 Martin County

4 Male
15 Breathitt County

8 Lyon County
10 Newport

3 George Rogers Clark
1 North Laurel

Two of the three best teams having to play the first round is so stupid. I disagree with the random pairings just as much I disagree with playing the semis and finals on the same day.

The games are all set. Again, the random regional pairings result in one bracket being stacked while the other one is much weaker. Of the top 5 teams, four are in the bottom part of the bracket.

11 Elizabethtown
13 McCracken County

9 Jeffersontown
6 Woodford County

2 Warren Central
14 Pulaski County

12 Owensboro
7 Ashland Blazer

5 Frederick Douglass
16 Martin County

4 Male
15 Breathitt County

8 Lyon County
10 Newport

3 George Rogers Clark
1 North Laurel

Two of the three best teams having to play the first round is so stupid. I disagree with the random pairings just as much I disagree with playing the semis and finals on the same day.
Has it always been this way? Yeah, makes no sense to not do a bracket the way it's done nearly every other time in any sport and seed it based on team rankings. I assume it's to give the smaller schools that typically wouldn't see success a reasonable chance to win a game?

Warren Central will likely coast to the championship game.

No idea who comes out of that bottom bracket with Douglass vs Male, Lyon County vs GRC/NL winner.

If I were betting, I'd bet a rematch of last year's state title game or Frederick Douglass vs Warren Central. I don't think North Laurel should be the best-ranked team.

I'll go with Douglass vs Warren Central.

Reactions: MbergCat
Has it always been this way? Yeah, makes no sense to not do a bracket the way it's done nearly every other time in any sport and seed it based on team rankings. I assume it's to give the smaller schools that typically wouldn't see success a reasonable chance to win a game?
It has been like that for as long as I've been alive. I hate it though. I know you gotta play someone tough to win it eventually but stuff like that will result in bad semis or championships.

I went to GRC, so I pulling for a repeat - playing North Laurel should be a good one right off the bat - Warren Central will be tough to beat.

Reactions: stuway
"Each game of the Boys’ and Girls’ Sweet 16® will be webcast live at KHSAA.tv for subscribers of the NFHS Network. By purchasing a month-long pass to the NFHS Network, fans can watch all 30 games of the Girls’ and Boys’ Sweet 16® for just $10.99 along with every live and on-demand broadcast by the KHSAA and the more than 45 participating state associations."

Anyone have any predictions?
I am hoping that Reed and Travis both win their games. Would love to see them in the second round. I don’t know anything about Lyon’s opponent, but sounds like they are very good. They beat a heck of a team to get to the Sweet 16. Really looking forward to going this year.

That Warren Central vs. Bowling Green regional final was a heck of a lot closer than expected.

It'll be interesting to see if that's a wake up call for them.

My Pulaski County Maroons finally push through to the Sweet 16 after a long absence and their reward is to play Warren Central in the first round. LOL!

11 Elizabethtown
13 McCracken County

9 Jeffersontown
6 Woodford County

2 Warren Central
14 Pulaski County

12 Owensboro
7 Ashland Blazer

5 Frederick Douglass
16 Martin County

4 Male
15 Breathitt County

8 Lyon County
10 Newport

3 George Rogers Clark
1 North Laurel

I thought they quit playing the semi finals and finals on the same day a couple of years back? Was it just a temporary thing? I agree that it's crazy to have those kids play 2 games the same day. It's also a huge advantage if they played the first game and get that extra couple of hours of rest.

Woodford co is very athletic and play outstanding defense- they seem lost of offense a lot, but teams are going to have a hard time scoring on them. They’ve got a clever little point guard and Johnson can also get hot and go for 30 or so.

I thought they quit playing the semi finals and finals on the same day a couple of years back? Was it just a temporary thing? I agree that it's crazy to have those kids play 2 games the same day. It's also a huge advantage if they played the first game and get that extra couple of hours of rest.
Apparently they have gone back to it. Makes for bad championship games some years teams are barely getting up and down the court and have no legs on shots. Plus gives the teams on the second day a disadvantage of no days off and unless they got a fortunate draw to get through more easily it creates a lot more wear and tear on the body. I guess the khsaa doesn’t want to pay the extra day (12k or something) of rupp rental to cut into their take home.

One thing is for sure and that is the KHSAA is going to make as much as they can. I bought my daughter an "official licensed KHSAA State Golf Tournament" hoodie last year when she played in the State tournament and it cost over $80 for a hoodie and a T-shirt was around $40 if I remember correctly. They know parents will pay those prices to commemorate their kids achievement and they take advantage of the situation.

I read that the original idea behind it is that it helps fans not have to stay another night and pay for a hotel. I don't really believe that as the championship ends late anyway and people are probably already staying if they're not already in Lexington or the surrounding area.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
One thing is for sure and that is the KHSAA is going to make as much as they can. I bought my daughter an "official licensed KHSAA State Golf Tournament" hoodie last year when she played in the State tournament and it cost over $80 for a hoodie and a T-shirt was around $40 if I remember correctly. They know parents will pay those prices to commemorate their kids achievement and they take advantage of the situation.
Picked up State Champs gear last year for some family and yeah, I think the tees were like $25 each.

Anyway, loved this tournament and always wanted to play in it. Came up one game short twice. But I remember my dad and I buying the entire tournament ticket package in 2000 and watching all 16 games (I think I put on 10 pounds from the Rupp Arena ice cream, Backyard Burger, and Donatos -delicacies not afforded to us in our hometown). That was the year Antwan Barbour went OFF! He had like 71 points combined in the semis and championship game that Saturday.

Last edited:
What was everyone's first Sweet 16 memory?

Mine was going to the 93 State Tourneu. I watched the semis and the finals. Dunbar's Darnell Burton (Cincinnati) and Cameron Mills take on Marion County's Anthony Epps and Elton Scott (WVU) for the title. Maron County had just beat Louisville Male which had Jason Osborne (Louisville) on that team (dominated).

This tournament used to be so fun with solid D1 players. Those guys are more sparse nowadays.

• Love
Reactions: BlueWhite21
There is no way to accurately seed a Sweet 16 field. The High School RPI is laughably bad.
Might not be 100 percent accurate but I know we'd avoid GRC and North Laurel being a first round matchup and having four teams paired together that are from the weaker regions, resulting in reaching the semi-final and getting smoked.

Imagine if this was one pod
McCracken County vs Breathitt County
Martin County vs Pulaski County

I'd be more concerned with getting a good semi and championship than have all of the good games the first roud or two.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Might not be 100 percent accurate but I know we'd avoid GRC and North Laurel being a first round matchup and having four teams paired together that are from the weaker regions, resulting in reaching the semi-final and getting smoked.

Imagine if this was one pod
McCracken County vs Breathitt County
Martin County vs Pulaski County

I'd be more concerned with getting a good semi and championship than have all of the good games the first roud or two.
It ain't broke, don't try to fix it. A blowout is a blowout, regardless if it's first round or finals.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I am hoping that Reed and Travis both win their games. Would love to see them in the second round. I don’t know anything about Lyon’s opponent, but sounds like they are very good. They beat a heck of a team to get to the Sweet 16. Really looking forward to going this year.
Me too. I’m really wanting to see another North Laurel vs Lyon County matchup. Most entertaining game I’ve ever seen . Both got tough draws though.

Reactions: UKortho
Who are the Tomcats ? 🤔
Haven’t checked the record book in a few years, but Ashland had highest number of wins for HS basketball. Strong and storied program that even touts a National Championship albeit before any of us were born.
Assuming your inquiry was a bit in jest but compelled to respond

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Russell had some great teams in the mid to late 80's. The should have won at least one 16th Region Championship in those years.
Yep, those were the T.J. Maynard and I think it was Chris Jones days. I can't remember the specific year but I recall we had just made the top 10 in the state rankings and I went to a game we played at Ashland and they beat us and I remember being crushed as I left. Was just a little kid. I don't even think it was a playoff game, think it was just a regular season game but I remember being crushed as we were ranked really high at the time.

Haven’t checked the record book in a few years, but Ashland had highest number of wins for HS basketball. Strong and storied program that even touts a National Championship albeit before any of us were born.
Assuming your inquiry was a bit in jest but compelled to respond
Ashland is #1 in KY with over 2000 wins & last I checked, last season, they were still #6 nationally in all-time wins. And, as mentioned above, they’ve been on a nice 5 year run with regional titles each season, including a 33-0 record in the 20 season that was ended before the S16 by Covid. They’ve been to the last 4 state tournaments with a first round loss, 2 elite 8s & a FF. One of the elite 8s is this season, so, it’s possible that they improve on that. But, they’d have to beat Warren Central to do it & that’s not very likely. If they’re shooting it well, they’ll have a shot. If not, it’ll be a LONG night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT