ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2022

It's do or die next year. That's the silver lining. Either Mingione gets it right and we make the CWs, or it's hit the road.
I think most on this thread think Mingione should already be gone. Don’t know how else to say it but just a pitiful job by Mitch.

I assumed Schultz and Rhodes were gone all along. Both play every day at UK so if they do return
Would you really want to play for UK right now? The coach is gone after next year and the administration has shown very little support for the program. Whereas UL is all in on baseball. Believe me, that really pains me to say that.
With all the veterans that are leaving and playing time at a premium guys should be beating down the door to play in the SEC at Kentucky. The problem is people take a look at the transfer portal history of this regime and begin to ask questions about what is going on over there.

Reactions: SeanCain
I think most on this thread think Mingione should already be gone. Don’t know how else to say it but just a pitiful job by Mitch.
Yeah.

I hear people compare Mitch giving Stoops an early unwarranted extension to what he's done with Ming.

The difference that those fools overlook is Stoops inherited Jokers roster and was building up.

Mingione inherited Henderson's and has gotten progressively worse each and every year.

And frankly, Kentucky as a state doesn't have the built in recruiting barriers for baseball that football does. We have the talent, right here in our own backyard. There's just no excuse for Kentucky to not be perennially competitive and relevant in baseball. None. Football can at least point to the finite number of legit SEC caliber in state prospects historically each year.

Yeah.

I hear people compare Mitch giving Stoops an early unwarranted extension to what he's done with Ming.

The difference that those fools overlook is Stoops inherited Jokers roster and was building up.

Mingione inherited Henderson's and has gotten progressively worse each and every year.

And frankly, Kentucky as a state doesn't have the built in recruiting barriers for baseball that football does. We have the talent, right here in our own backyard. There's just no excuse for Kentucky to not be perennially competitive and relevant in baseball. None. Football can at least point to the finite number of legit SEC caliber in state prospects historically each year.
Well Mingiones strategy recruiting players in state is to take them for granted or chew them up and spit them out.

Reactions: CB3UK
Yeah.

Perfectly stated.

Does Sclossnagle fancy himself a motivational speaker and a pastor to the players and the fan base ?

Is there a Saturday sermon with Schlossy ?

or does he just win games without all the self promotion and pandering ?

Politicians take Lord's name in vain when they use God for personal benefit | Opinion​

The heart of the Third Commandment is about using God and God’s good name for our own purposes.

That was in the Tennessean. (.com) and I saved it when I read it as it’s a real pet peeve of mine. I’ve seen it many times and it never ends well for the person violating this commandment. Oh it begins well and it takes awhile for people to catch on, but it never ends well.

With all the veterans that are leaving and playing time at a premium guys should be beating down the door to play in the SEC at Kentucky. The problem is people take a look at the transfer portal history of this regime and begin to ask questions about what is going on over there.
Here's the thing, a lot of transfers are going to come so that they can say they played in the SEC. If you think our roster had a talent problem before (I'm not one of those) wait till you see what comes in next year. Any player with clout in the portal will avoid us, but some less touted players will come here just for the distinction of SEC player. Just wait.

So, recently Barnhart has:
1) given Mingione a bad extension
2) Took interim tag off Elsy way too early into her first season.
3) Signed Cal to a ridiculous lifetime contract
4) Signed Stoops to a ridiculous contract that adds an additional year after winning 6 games. Just a stupid clause that nobody else has.

All of these were terrible decisions

The athletic department has literally NEVER been in better shape than it is now (from a competitive standpoint). I don't agree with all of those decisions either, but there isn't an AD in the country that is batting 1.000 when it comes to hires.

Here's the thing, a lot of transfers are going to come so that they can say they played in the SEC. If you think our roster had a talent problem before (I'm not one of those) wait till you see what comes in next year. Any player with clout in the portal will avoid us, but some less touted players will come here just for the distinction of SEC player. Just wait.

I would really love to hear how the UK coaches are handling players in the portal and what they are doing. From what I can tell, each team is very different. Some of them are targeting players and have watched film or games of the player and know and understand what their strengths and weaknesses are. Others seem to just know that they are from certain schools and they want the player to sent them all the analytics to gauge how interested they should be (basically making the player sell themselves). One school is holding basically a practice or tryout type thing for transfers that are interested. Some of the schools are very confident in who they are going after while some others are not sure themselves about rosters for next year with everything going on and are moving much slower.

I would just love to know how UK was treating and approaching possible transfers.

I don't disagree with you, but I do think it is a little harsh to look at an article about the best home run hitter in the country coming to play baseball for UK and then take away that UL also got a kid from the same school.
I know U6 baseball is "miles and miles" ahead of UK right now, but I will never concede players to U6 especially ones from UK strong hold Danville!!

I would really love to hear how the UK coaches are handling players in the portal and what they are doing. From what I can tell, each team is very different. Some of them are targeting players and have watched film or games of the player and know and understand what their strengths and weaknesses are. Others seem to just know that they are from certain schools and they want the player to sent them all the analytics to gauge how interested they should be (basically making the player sell themselves). One school is holding basically a practice or tryout type thing for transfers that are interested. Some of the schools are very confident in who they are going after while some others are not sure themselves about rosters for next year with everything going on and are moving much slower.

I would just love to know how UK was treating and approaching possible transfers.
Seems if a player is smart, you would get in the portal sooner rather than later as with the free transfer rule there will be a lot bigger pool to choose from and you could be left without a home. Be the bigger fish in the smaller pond.

Nevermind it didn’t post. But it applies here in my op

wow we are on same page ! especially about talent NOT being the problem.

there's a false narrative that I tried to correct but not gonna waste time on anymore and that is that THIS past team never should've been picked last place pre season.

they were picked last place because the coaches in SEC clearly piled on Mingione and all picked his team last place to embarrass him. and now people use that to say he over achieved lol.

I know U6 baseball is "miles and miles" ahead of UK right now, but I will never concede players to U6 especially ones from UK strong hold Danville!!
Looks like Cole Daniels is headed to Michigan per Derek Terry on Twitter.

Looks like Cole Daniels is headed to Michigan per Derek Terry on Twitter.

Great landing spot for him. Obviously a big let down for UK to lose him. We don't talk about his story a whole lot, but it is one that is also very confusing from our staff. 2019 as a freshman and I think in 2020 as well he often came in for 1 out or 1 inning tops. Rarely ever went more than that despite often being very good. Not sure why that was the case. Finally changed that this year and he showed he could go multiple. Struggled at times and like much of our pitching, doesn't look like he's made major leaps in development (which, I don't put on him).

Another UK casualty doing well for himself…

As an avid college baseball fan I know I should not put a whole lot of stock in the “name on the front” of the jersey ..........but Wallace Baseball? Is that that the college team he plays for? or is that his old high school giving him a shout out?

If it’s the college team he plays for, is it more insulting to Kentucky that this is where he landed or is it more insulting to us fans this is the level of talent UK is recruiting?

As an avid college baseball fan I know I should not put a whole lot of stock in the “name on the front” of the jersey ..........but Wallace Baseball? Is that that the college team he plays for? or is that his old high school giving him a shout out?

If it’s the college team he plays for, is it more insulting to Kentucky that this is where he landed or is it more insulting to us fans this is the level of talent UK is recruiting?
Peay.

Wallace is a junior college in the state of Alabama. Usually one of the better JUCOs in the country and plays against very talented competition.

I think Kavanagh was cut after fall practices. So, I imagine at that point it's not extremely easy to transfer and play. That's how a lot of JUCO survives. Players that are cut.

Pat Casey the leading candidate at LSU. He’s known Barnhart for a long time but I guess Mitch would rather go with Mingione next year…

I think Kavanagh was cut after fall practices. So, I imagine at that point it's not extremely easy to transfer and play. That's how a lot of JUCO survives. Players that are cut.
But Mingione was such a nice guy to leave him in that tough situation as you describe it.

it’s not like Kavanough didn’t have other teams that really wanted him before he gave his commitment to Mingione.

Then Mingione welcomes him “ to the family”

LOL. But he is a great guy right ? Probley begged and most certainly worked connections to get people close to him to get him to choose Kentucky over other schools. Welcomes him to the family then gave some quote somewhere that he recruited Kavanough because he looked in his eye and could see that he loves God.

Then 3 months later cuts him putting him into a far worse position than he was in before arrived. And for sure not a position Kavanough thought was a possibility when Mingione was putting his moves on Him and those around Him that had influence on him.

but keep prefacing all your criticism of Mingione with “ he is a great person but “ .. or “ he is a great man but “ ...

But Mingione was such a nice guy to leave him in that tough situation as you describe it.

it’s not like Kavanough didn’t have other teams that really wanted him before he gave his commitment to Mingione.

LOL. But he is a great guy right ? Probley begged and most certainly worked connections to get people close to him to get him to choose Kentucky over other schools. Welcomes him to family. Probley gave some quote somewhere that he recruited Kavanough because he looked in his eye and could see that he loves God.

Then 3 months later cuts him putting him into a far worse position than he was in before arrived. And for sure not one Kavanough thought was a possibility when Mingione was putting his moves on Kavanough and those around Kavanough that had influence on him.

but keep prefacing all your criticism of Mingione with “ he is a great person but “ .. or “ he is a great man but “ ...

I don't know what happened with Kavanagh. However, it's pretty standard baseball procedure that guys compete in fall practice for a spot on the roster in spring. Don't know what Mingione told or promised him, if anything, but the practice of cutting players after the fall is very common at most programs.

Another UK casualty doing well for himself…

I don't know what happened with Kavanagh. However, it's pretty standard baseball procedure that guys compete in fall practice for a spot on the roster in spring. Don't know what Mingione told or promised him, if anything, but the practice of cutting players after the fall is very common at most programs.

Thanks Comebakatz3, as I alluded to and you have pointed out numerous times baseball is a completely different animal that the other sports.

Looks like Cole Danie

Our recruiting is not the best and this year we are at #41 in the country. I just don’t have the words to describe the mess this program is headed for.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Baseball is so odd how you can get cut even if you are recruited to the school.

LOL. But he is a great guy right ? Probley begged and most certainly worked connections to get people close to him to get him to choose Kentucky over other schools. Welcomes him to the family then gave some quote somewhere that he recruited Kavanough because he looked in his eye and could see that he loves God.

Then 3 months later cuts him putting him into a far worse position than he was in before arrived. And for sure not a position Kavanough thought was a possibility when Mingione was putting his moves on Him and those around Him that had influence on him.

Jim baseball is a totally different animal. You can be recruited to play baseball at the school but then be cut. It happens at every school at every level in college. I’m by no means defending Mingione as I think his roster management is poor at best.

Absolutely and I learned that first hand. Even if you get scholarship money you are not necessarily guaranteed a roster spot. There are about twice the kids trying out that will be on the roster.

Reactions: 167Hike
This might anger some...

There is some truth to what he said, but if all the behind the scenes stories are accurate; he’s a big part of his own problem. Next year is more than likely it for him, unless a massive change takes place. I guess we’ll all see.

I’ve said this for years. Basketball in the SEC, outside of Uk, I would venture to say is 4th or 5th in the order to all other schools. Obviously, football is first. Baseball IMO is second. And there is a strong case to be made that softball is third. Then basketball. Too bad the only thing most people give a damn about around here is basketball. I truly hate the sport.
I don’t understand the disdain for 🏀. Whether you like it or not, 🏀 is the 🛎 🐄 of UK. I love all of the sports that has UK on the front of the chest. We can be unhappy with the ⚾️ team and not take shots at other teams in the athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT