ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky will not get a home run hire

OmahaCats

Sophomore
Apr 10, 2020
Not like they did with Pitino and Calipari. Kentucky doesn’t have the same flare that it use to. Top coaches have to weight the risk to reward. We might offer more money. But is it worth the pressure of being fired in a few years? Is it worth having the negative fan base want to run you out if you miss the tournament or lose in the first round one year? Probably not. Which is why a home run hire won’t happen. Kentucky will get a good coach I believe. Just not a great one.
I think they better hope we get Drew. Because after him, your options are really going to decline

Not like they did with Pitino and Calipari. Kentucky doesn’t have the same flare that it use to. Top coaches have to weight the risk to reward. We might offer more money. But is it worth the pressure of being fired in a few years? Is it worth having the negative fan base want to run you out if you miss the tournament or lose in the first round one year? Probably not. Which is why a home run hire won’t happen. Kentucky will get a good coach I believe. Just not a great one.
I think they better hope we get Drew. Because after him, your options are really going to decline
Say, who is your team?

Well who is your Home Run hire coach?

Ok, if you say so.

winnie the pooh quote GIF

Cal wasn’t ran off for a couple of years. He was here 15 and progressively was losing steam.

Kentucky hasn’t lost any flare. It’s simple really. Drew is the perfect Hall and Tubby hire. He will win, and win well at a 74/76% pace, sneak in a title, be nice to us in the process and we will still hate him and ruin his life while he’s here accomplishing things.

Then we can troll the bar and get a drunk and start all over with a huge name again.

It has nothing to do with flare. It’s easy to follow a wreck and you’d have more options.

I think we should get Huggins and get the good coach (not great) and drunk out of the way in one step.

Good lord, 1 bad year huh. Go away.

Reactions: plumdog69
I don't really understand all this talk about running coaches off for having 1 bad year. Cal missed the tournament a couple of times, even lost the first round of the NIT. He also had some very embarrassing losses....at home. And he wasn't fired! He chose to leave....after 15 years! It took four bad years in a row for our fans to collectively be done with him. As long as you have a good amount of success I think we are very flexible with some disappointing seasons sprinkled in. It happens and we, for the most part, get that.

I don't really understand all this talk about running coaches off for having 1 bad year. Cal missed the tournament a couple of times, even lost the first round of the NIT. He also had some very embarrassing losses....at home. And he wasn't fired! He chose to leave....after 15 years! It took four bad years in a row for our fans to collectively be done with him. As long as you have a good amount of success I think we are very flexible with some disappointing seasons sprinkled in. It happens and we, for the most part, get that.
OP is parroting rival talking points because he's not really a KY fan.

Couldn’t have said it better myself 😂. Things change and college basketball is totally changed now. OP is 100% correct.

Reactions: BlueTick2
I think we would all be wise to take a deep breath and pour a glass of our favorite libation, and relax a bit. Cal just officially left yesterday.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
Write in proper English please.

Kentucky will get a top coach. People at this level of coaching have huge egos. They like to hear themselves talked about and no better place than Kentucky to keep your name in the news.

suicide GIF by David

Shut up drama queen

Reactions: GridCats
Nobody ran anyone off here.

There were a vocal few who pointed out the flaws and wanted change, which has always existed on these boards. It's only recently that the fanbase seemed to unite that some kind of change was needed. I think a lot of patience was shown. Acceptance that something outside of everyone's control (COVID) had a negative impact was acknowledged and forgiveness given.

But to do things that had never been done before. (2 vs a 15 loss, 3 vs a 14 loss, only managing to win a single post-season game with the returning POY, worst post-season performance in the history of UK, losing 3 straight at home....all of that even could have been forgiven if some humility and acceptance of responsibility were shown. That didn't happen. Instead, the opposite happened. Wasn't his fault It was (pick anything).

Watch what happens to Bill Self if he has those things on his resume, or John Scheyer. He got mad for people pointing it out and ran away. Hell, UT Chattanooga would probably fire their coach if they had the same record over the same period. So please spare us the "high pressure" crap and that the fanbase ran him off. That didn't happen. He made his own bed.

The one stat that jumps out at me is that in 15 years only 5 SEC regular season championships, and it has been held up as accomplishment. That's a rare low for UK, not an accomplishment to be proud of.

If a coach doesn't want to come here because he may get criticized after a loss, then they shouldn't come. They should get out of coaching altogether.

We simply want a coach that will do all he can to maintain the proud tradition that has been earned here over so many decades. Program over players and self. We haven't had that for quite awhile.

I
I think we’ve proven how tolerant we are to mediocrity by the last 5 years of suffering.

Reactions: blubo
Coaches records improve when they come to UK. Did for Tubby, for Cal, did for Rick. And each won a title. Drew’s resume is better than all of those coaches before they came to UK. There’s always an awkward phase and some trepidation when a coach replaces someone with the charisma and ego of someone like Pitino or Cal. There are not many guys like them. Drew is the opposite of those guys and seems boring, but he has some fire. I fully expect him to do very well here and win a championship. The guy can recruit and is a heck of a coach. It’s not a flashy hire like many want, but when the dust settles, I think most will be happy with the product on the court if Drew does come.

Reactions: Kybluedude
One tournament win in what 5 or 6 years? Think our fanbase been pretty damn patient. We gave Cal alot of rope because of early success but he still managed to hang himself due to his arrogance and selfishness.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
What do you consider to be home run ? The fact that cal is finally gone is already a home run

Say, who is your team?

Write in proper English please.
@OmahaCats is not a Kentucky fan.

He's been one of the worst posters on here for a long time.

Absolute garbage, trash-level poster.

Mods should have taken him out with the trash a long time ago.

Really, money talks and real coaches look for challenges.

Cal was fired? After one down year? Just dont understand the twisting of the actual facts here. Cal left on his own accord. He hasn’t been hungry since the Wisconsin game. That was 2015. Almost 10 years ago. The only short term tenured coach in recent history at UK was a drunk. You present a false argument.

Reactions: RunninRichie
One tournament win in what 5 or 6 years? Think our fanbase been pretty damn patient. We gave Cal alot of rope because of early success but he still managed to hang himself due to his arrogance and selfishness.

Really, money talks and real coaches look for challenges.

Cal was fired? After one down year? Just dont understand the twisting of the actual facts here. Cal left on his own accord. He hasn’t been hungry since the Wisconsin game. That was 2015. Almost 10 years ago. The only short term tenured coach in recent history at UK was a drunk. You present a false argument.
You guys are trying to talk sense to a well-known and long-established non-UK fan troll.

@OmahaCats is one of the worst posters here. He's indicated that he doesn't even cheer for Kentucky.

Reactions: jwphelps
Kentucky. And I’m hoping we get Drew. Bc we won’t get anyone better
Bruce Pearl would be a homerun hire and he would crawl through glass to get here. As much as I like the trio of Hurley, Donovan, and Drew, I’m not sure there’s a better fit for what KY basketball needs right now than Bruce Pearl. He would be my option #1.

Reactions: Rockfly78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT