ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2022

There is some truth to what he said, but if all the behind the scenes stories are accurate; he’s a big part of his own problem. Next year is more than likely it for him, unless a massive change takes place. I guess we’ll all see.
There's some general truths about college baseball. Things he says about his own are not however. Mississippi State might have one less transfer, but I'm willing to bet they aren't upper classmen that had significant SEC experience like our transfers are. Lies of omission are still lies at the end of the day.

Reactions: SeanCain
There is some truth to what he said, but if all the behind the scenes stories are accurate; he’s a big part of his own problem. Next year is more than likely it for him, unless a massive change takes place. I guess we’ll all see.

He is not wrong that there are a lot of people in the portal. Of course that is the case given that rosters are bigger because people were granted 5th and 6th years of eligibility and we didn't stop taking freshmen classes. Even still, that does not excuse UK's roster turnover.

UK had 11 commitments and players show up on campus from 2020. 3 of the 11 are now gone or are leaving (King, Hicks, and Kavanagh).

UK had 15 commitments and players from 2019. 11 of the 15 are now gone or are leaving (Brown, Rogers, Wibbels, Cole, Grace, Cook, Payne, Bard, Margot, Robinson, Tate)

UK had 19 commitments from 2018 (including JUCO). 14 of the 19 are now gone or are leaving, not including anyone who might get drafted... I mean transferred or left the program, or possibly never arrived (Parker, Harmon, Gambino, Cottongame, Olson, Burchett, Adams, Music, Marsh, Koester, Daniels, Norton, Sulzer, Hord).

UK had 20 commitments from 2017 (including JUCO). 14 of the 18 are now gone or are leaving or never made it, taking out two that went pro, that I remember, (Jordan (RIP), Golda, Marozas, Dobzanski, Ramsey, Benoit, Hill, Bringhurst, Bennett, Cantillo, Harbet, Harper, Hastings, Lockhart)

This is 4 complete years of recruiting classes and when you add it all up UK has gotten approximately 63 players that committed and (IIRC) made it to campus. Of those, 42 of them have prematurely left the program without getting drafted. If my math is right, approximately 66.6 percent (had to add the point as it was too ironic) of the players that UK has 'signed,' to play baseball are no longer playing for UK. 7 of them still with us are currently true freshmen.

Also, please note that this list of 42 leaving does not include players that may very well get drafted (Schultz, Anu, Kessler, Harney, Rhodes). So, they could leave and increase that number even more. I also want to note that I tried not to include anyone that I remember getting drafted before they came to UK, but I might have missed one. Also, Perfect Game, despite the name, is not perfect on their recruiting commitment lists, so there may be more on the list that are on our roster, but weren't listed for them as commitments. I think, for instance, Rubalcaba isn't listed on there. So, these numbers are very approximate. Still, I think it makes a pretty clear point.

He is not wrong that there are a lot of people in the portal. Of course that is the case given that rosters are bigger because people were granted 5th and 6th years of eligibility and we didn't stop taking freshmen classes. Even still, that does not excuse UK's roster turnover.

UK had 11 commitments and players show up on campus from 2020. 3 of the 11 are now gone or are leaving (King, Hicks, and Kavanagh).

UK had 15 commitments and players from 2019. 11 of the 15 are now gone or are leaving (Brown, Rogers, Wibbels, Cole, Grace, Cook, Payne, Bard, Margot, Robinson, Tate)

UK had 19 commitments from 2018 (including JUCO). 14 of the 19 are now gone or are leaving, not including anyone who might get drafted... I mean transferred or left the program, or possibly never arrived (Parker, Harmon, Gambino, Cottongame, Olson, Burchett, Adams, Music, Marsh, Koester, Daniels, Norton, Sulzer, Hord).

UK had 20 commitments from 2017 (including JUCO). 14 of the 18 are now gone or are leaving or never made it, taking out two that went pro, that I remember, (Jordan (RIP), Golda, Marozas, Dobzanski, Ramsey, Benoit, Hill, Bringhurst, Bennett, Cantillo, Harbet, Harper, Hastings, Lockhart)

This is 4 complete years of recruiting classes and when you add it all up UK has gotten approximately 63 players that committed and (IIRC) made it to campus. Of those, 42 of them have prematurely left the program without getting drafted. If my math is right, approximately 66.6 percent (had to add the point as it was too ironic) of the players that UK has 'signed,' to play baseball are no longer playing for UK. 7 of them still with us are currently true freshmen.

Also, please note that this list of 42 leaving does not include players that may very well get drafted (Schultz, Anu, Kessler, Harney, Rhodes). So, they could leave and increase that number even more. I also want to note that I tried not to include anyone that I remember getting drafted before they came to UK, but I might have missed one. Also, Perfect Game, despite the name, is not perfect on their recruiting commitment lists, so there may be more on the list that are on our roster, but weren't listed for them as commitments. I think, for instance, Rubalcaba isn't listed on there. So, these numbers are very approximate. Still, I think it makes a pretty clear point.
Ayers and Ellington as well. So it's actually worse still lol.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Ayers and Ellington as well. So it's actually worse still lol.

That is true, those two are actually no longer on UK's list of commitments on PG.

Like I said, PG is strange. They have JUCO players listed with high school commitments in the year that they graduated HS instead of the year that they committed to play for the school. They basically use the same page from when they were in HS. So, Ellington, for instance, is now listed as a Florida State commitment in 2018 and no longer features at all on the UK list. (BTW... don't know that Ellington is sticking with that commitment) and Ayers is listed on the Cincinnati commitment list.

So yeah, good catch on those two. There are probably more.

Absolutely and I learned that first hand. Even if you get scholarship money you are not necessarily guaranteed a roster spot. There are about twice the kids trying out that will be on the roster.

Disgraceful record.

There’s really something to be said about a baseball player that just gets better and better in increments.

But instead he Basically brings them in and if they don’t knock his socks off Immediately , they have to bite dust.

all the while giving lip service ( besides the “ serving the lord” of course ) about “ the process” and every so often a guy makes an improvement of course NM makes it all about himself with “ he really bought in OR he finally bought in to out process “.

really ? What process ? Use the name Kentucky and the league SEC to cast the widest net possible and if they knock his socks off they stick ( for now ) and the rest get tossed aside and have to fend for themselves in the portal which I just had someone tell me has 1,200 Players not 2,000.

How many of those 60 plus players entered the portal better off from having been at Kentucky than when they arrived ?

that’s Kentucky Proud ?

that’s the Lords work you brag out ?

Say anything you can to get these players to choose your program over others to them throw them into what amounts to an open workout.

it’s like saying anything you can to get into a girls pants but instead to get the players commitment.

Stop calling him a great guy. he’s not.

Last edited:
Disgraceful record.

There’s really something to be said about a baseball player that just gets better and better in increments.

But instead he Basically brings them in and if they don’t knock his socks off Immediately , they have to bite dust.

all the while giving lip service ( besides the “ serving the lord” of course ) about “ the process” and every so often a guy makes an improvement of course NM makes it all about himself with “ he really bought in OR he finally bought in to out process “.

really ? What process ? Use the name Kentucky and the league SEC to cast the widest net possible and if they knock his socks off they stick ( for now ) and the rest get tossed aside and have to fend for themselves in the portal which I just had someone tell me has 1,200 Players not 2,000.

How many of those 60 plus players entered the portal better off from having been at Kentucky than when they arrived ?

that’s Kentucky Proud ?

that’s the Lords work you brag out ?

Say anything you can to get these players to choose your program over others to them throw them into what amounts to an open workout.

it’s like saying anything you can to get into a girls pants to get their commitment but it’s a one way street.

Stop calling him a great guy. he’s not.
I don't know if that is even true that you have to come in and knock his socks off. I remember listening to the pre-season interview and he said Hill had been the standout in the spring on both sides of the ball, offensively and defensively impacting the game. Then he doesn't play consistently? What is going on? I know I am old but maybe I just don't understand this game anymore.

Reactions: Jim_Cornette
If you go look at the 2019 roster alone there are at least 25 players that left the program prematurely. This isn't including those that got drafted or graduated. I mean, left in one way or another.

That is out of 40 players. There were 5 that were seniors or got drafted as juniors (Thompson).

I just don't see how anyone could argue that this shit is normal.

So, those that either saw it out or are still on the roster are:

Collett
Degen
Schultz
Shelby
Kessler
Hazelwood
Hord
Lewis
Rigsby

So, 5 more of those guys could be, or will, be gone for 2021 as well.

**I also want to note that I think I included Hord in my list above. He has not left UK. I always get him and Holden (both backup catchers) mixed up.

And I’m waiting for someone to say “ well this is big business , this is the SEC , get it done , be better and you won’t get cut”.

I would say hey the real world. If you can look in the mirror treating young men that way then hey that’s on you.

but spare me the baloney about “ family “ and “ the lords work “ and all the mularkey you jam in our face.

Oh and By the way , the same standard should be used to account for your continued participation in this program.

I for one am sentimental about baseball and the way NM runs this is a way that collides with what I think is acceptable for an amateur run program even though it’s the SEC

I think we're going to see some more hit the portal by early next week. 😉

If you go look at the 2019 roster alone there are at least 25 players that left the program prematurely. This isn't including those that got drafted or graduated. I mean, left in one way or another.

That is out of 40 players. There were 5 that were seniors or got drafted as juniors (Thompson).

I just don't see how anyone could argue that this shit is normal.

So, those that either saw it out or are still on the roster are:

Collett
Degen
Schultz
Shelby
Kessler
Hazelwood
Hord
Lewis
Rigsby

So, 5 more of those guys could be, or will, be gone for 2021 as well.

**I also want to note that I think I included Hord in my list above. He has not left UK. I always get him and Holden (both backup catchers) mixed up.
Hord is in the portal now

His entire hand picked staff that he arrived with
And budgeted for, is now gone.

The pitching coach Job was very difficult to fill he getting told no by at least the first 3 guys he offered the job to.

Reactions: SeanCain
Wow now Mingione can throw his mentor under the bus to save his own skin.

In the article today Mingione talking about the turnover because of firing a recruiting coordinator.

Who hired that recruiting coordinator in the first place ?

Part of the job is putting the right people in place and if you don’t that’s on YOU.

But Nick as usual just chews up and spits someone else out.

I don’t understand the disdain for 🏀. Whether you like it or not, 🏀 is the 🛎 🐄 of UK. I love all of the sports that has UK on the front of the chest. We can be unhappy with the ⚾️ team and not take shots at other teams in the athletic department.

It’s not just Kentucky basketball. And I’m really not taking shots at the team. I would rather watch paint dry than set through a basketball game. To me, the game is unwatchable. I want all of Kentucky athletics to be successful. That doesn’t mean I need to care about a certain sport.

And now they have to go find a hitting coach that is willing to work for free with no benefits because Guilliams has bolted as well!! Good luck with that one😂😂😂😂😂
Where did you see Guilliams left?

And now they have to go find a hitting coach that is willing to work for free with no benefits because Guilliams has bolted as well!! Good luck with that one😂😂😂😂😂
Never mind. I see where Kendall Rogers put it out on Twitter. I think Mingione played for Guilliams in college if I’m not mistaken. Guilliams leaving is not good news for UK’s summer baseball camps since he ran them. Perhaps this was in the works for a while and the camps are in plan B.

Not surprising that Guilliams left as he was the only respected coach in that clubhouse and him leaving says a TON…. I know that he was not fired… he left on his own and it had nothing to do with volunteer status vs paid…. It is just that bad

Not surprising that Guilliams left as he was the only respected coach in that clubhouse and him leaving says a TON…. I know that he was not fired… he left on his own and it had nothing to do with volunteer status vs paid…. It is just that bad
Check out Derek Terry’s Twitter account. Tyler Marshall pretty much saying Guilliams led the day to day operations.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
Anything you care to share?

Anything you care to share?
Well one of the players may or may not have told Guilliams he was leaving and that was the only coach he told and Guilliams response may or may not have been…. Good move I’m leaving too…. But that is just through the grapevine…. But now seems to have been proven to be true

Todd was well liked. I think he saw the writing on the wall and has been looking to leave since the year ended.
Well one of the players may or may not have told Guilliams he was leaving and that was the only coach he told and Guilliams response may or may not have been…. Good move I’m leaving too…. But that is just through the grapevine…. But now seems to have been proven to be true

too funny

I think TG knew he should get off the sinking ship and he did. Seemed obvious he was looking for an out. Many players liked him more than anyone else. So this could be a deciding factor on others leaving.

I'll also say that many players are making decisions they think are best for them. They may not leave simply because there is playing time. So there is more that goes into it than merely disliking coaches and how they run a program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT