ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2022

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Weird to type 2022. Might as well begin to look forward as we're done for the year. Not sure what is going to happen from here on out, but I think things and people have began to move. I imagine that some have already taken at least the preliminary steps they need to take in order to get out of dodge. I am not sure if we cut the head off the snake or if we just shuffle the chairs around on the titanic, but I think that some sort of coaching move will be made. My best guess is that at a minimum, UK cuts ties to volunteer assistant Todd Gulliams. He's the hitting coach and I would say that we weren't the best at hitting this year, especially situationally. I think, at a minimum, they'll need a scapegoat and since Roszel and Coggin have only been her for one full season now. Seems crazy to fire them so soon, but it could happen I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to start this as a place to keep up with any changes that might happen prior to 2022 and here in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Basil Cat
I think even if we do end up with a new coach it’s going to be extremely difficult to be competitive next year.

Without a doubt. Our program was in an okay spot when Mingione came on board, but with as many departures that is possible this year, the clubhouse could be extremely thin.

Weird to type 2022. Might as well begin to look forward as we're done for the year. Not sure what is going to happen from here on out, but I think things and people have began to move. I imagine that some have already taken at least the preliminary steps they need to take in order to get out of dodge. I am not sure if we cut the head off the snake or if we just shuffle the chairs around on the titanic, but I think that some sort of coaching move will be made. My best guess is that at a minimum, UK cuts ties to volunteer assistant Todd Gulliams. He's the hitting coach and I would say that we weren't the best at hitting this year, especially situationally. I think, at a minimum, they'll need a scapegoat and since Roszel and Coggin have only been her for one full season now. Seems crazy to fire them so soon, but it could happen I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to start this as a place to keep up with any changes that might happen prior to 2022 and here in the next few weeks.
I have to think if all these kids are looking to leave, and assume this information is accurate, you have to think Mitch is aware of the situation.

That being the case, Mitch would have to be in full damage control mode and would have to seriously consider firing Mingione rather quickly to stop the bleeding. I guess we will see over the next week or two.

I seriously doubt UK parts ways with Guilliams since he has close ties to Mingione, unless Mingione is canned. I think he coached Mingione in college if I’m not mistaken. The other two are wide open but that’s it for the scapegoats and Mingione is on borrowed time.

I think even if we do end up with a new coach it’s going to be extremely difficult to be competitive next year.
That’s why I’m hoping Mitch see’s the situation and parts ways with Mingione in the next week. It will be a hard sell for a new coach with such lack of talent.

Without a doubt. Our program was in an okay spot when Mingione came on board, but with as many departures that is possible this year, the clubhouse could be extremely thin.
UK would have to up the pay and give the potential new coach some concessions he wants in order to hire decent coach.

I think that we have a better chance of hiring a solid coach than before. Now our facilities are actually top notch and not just plans. So, that should help convince some guys that were less inclined before.
I agree but UK’s reputation for not backing other sports besides basketball is still used as negative recruiting. It’s getting hard to use that in football now though, but it’s valid in baseball still. The new park helps dispel that argument but it’s still something for a new coach to consider.

I agree but UK’s reputation for not backing other sports besides basketball is still used as negative recruiting. It’s getting hard to use that in football now though, but it’s valid in baseball still. The new park helps dispel that argument but it’s still something for a new coach to consider.

I think that has largely died. If they continue to try it then they are just wrong and it should be easily dispelled given the fact that we just won a volleyball title, we have gone to the women's college world series in softball, we have been to at least the Elite 8 in women's basketball, and numerous other sports are better than they have ever been before. Barnhart has been named AD of the year at least once and UK regularly finishes in the top 25 of athletic departments due to across the board success. Baseball was one of the last to get upgrades, but it takes one walk underneath KPP to know that they are now serious about it and that you'll be treated quite well while at UK in terms of getting what you need from admin. The issue is... we have no head coach.

I think with Mingione his first mistake was bringing in two guys that were not experienced enough to be assistants. He was a new coach, he needed someone other than Gulliams who had kind of done it before. Instead, he brought in too relatively inexperienced guys. Fanning being the recruiting coordinator was okay, but they had a major focus on JUCO players and even preferred them to younger players. This skewed the roster and really killed them several times as we regularly got commitments from top JUCO players that never came to UK. So, to me, it was this strategy that killed Mingione. Now he has Coggin that is changing that some, but he had no inroads to KY schools or any other schools, so he is playing a major catchup game in trying to recruit kids. So far he has underperformed. Both of those, IMO, were not great hires for Mingione, so even in those decisions, IMO, he's chosen poorly

I have to think if all these kids are looking to leave, and assume this information is accurate, you have to think Mitch is aware of the situation.

That being the case, Mitch would have to be in full damage control mode and would have to seriously consider firing Mingione rather quickly to stop the bleeding. I guess we will see over the next week or two.

I seriously doubt UK parts ways with Guilliams since he has close ties to Mingione, unless Mingione is canned. I think he coached Mingione in college if I’m not mistaken. The other two are wide open but that’s it for the scapegoats and Mingione is on borrowed time.
Would be Mongiones style to totally throw someone under the bus. He had disputes with his coaches prior to the extension and I am willing to bet MB didn’t know about it or simply took Nicks side blindly.

Next year is going to be ugly regardless of the coach. Why not give a new coach a chance with low expectations for next year to build upon rather than delaying the inevitable by giving Ming another year.
Now that I think of it. It would be good punishment for Nick Mingione. He should be the one to take all the heat next year when this team is getting destroyed In and out of conferance. And that will be the case wether everyone returns or not.

Last edited:
I for 1 will be putting my money where my mouth is and not attending any games in person next season if Nick is the coach despite looking forward to supporting a few of the new guys that will have a role next year.

Hopefully he dumps him this week or I guess we need to keep an eye on the portal for the mass exodus.

I know our recruiting class in #40 according to PG but how many are JUCO's that could help next year?

Hopefully he dumps him this week or I guess we need to keep an eye on the portal for the mass exodus.

I know our recruiting class in #40 according to PG but how many are JUCO's that could help next year?
Looks like we have 13 HS commits according to PG. With the amount of players expected to leave they’re going to have to use both the transfer portal and JuCo just to fill out the roster.

That's my thing. He inherited a solid roster from Henderson, a capable roster, and it's gotten worse. It's no different than Joker and Brooks. Either you can sign SEC caliber pitchers or you can't. And many of the fielding gaffes this season....I mean this is the SEC. I'm sorry but some of these guys just aren't SEC caliber. It's true.

Reactions: SeanCain
Looks like we have 13 HS commits according to PG. With the amount of players expected to leave they’re going to have to use both the transfer portal and JuCo just to fill out the roster.
Fully expect UK to use the portal to bring players in regardless of who the coach will be. Question is....will it matter?

This situation mirrors football/Brooks/Joker so much it’s scary. I really believe we would not be in this mess if it was not for COVID, as last year would have been as much of a train wreck as 2019 was, if not more. Then you are making this move last summer.

Fully expect UK to use the portal to bring players in regardless of who the coach will be. Question is....will it matter?

UK will have to replenish the roster regardless. Still, that is not something you want to do with a huge portion of the roster if you can help it. I am pretty sure that UK will lose a good portion of older players that still have eligibility. I think they have had enough. What I don't know is whether the younger guys will also decide that they have had enough and move on as well.

The transfer portal is not a list that the general public can view, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't already have some names in. D1Baseball keeps a list and last year anyone could view it, but this year it looks like it is behind their paywall, at least, so far it is.

That's my thing. He inherited a solid roster from Henderson, a capable roster, and it's gotten worse. It's no different than Joker and Brooks. Either you can sign SEC caliber pitchers or you can't. And many of the fielding gaffes this season....I mean this is the SEC. I'm sorry but some of these guys just aren't SEC caliber. It's true.
Pitching has been the biggest issue with Mingione. That said, our roster is indeed lacking in SEC caliber talent and until that improves we will continue to be in the bottom 3-4 teams annually.

Reactions: CB3UK
I thought Nick said they are a big family ? The team isn't even technically out of contention yet (NCAA berth ) and Cam Hill ran as fast as he could to abandon Mingione ( as Mingione abandoned Cam )
Where are you seeing Hill is gone?

there won’t be as many as you think because with so many players graduating some of these guys will take a shot at having a wide open opportunity to play next year.

If Hill is gone I can't blame him.
He was jerked around the beginning of the year and with the infielders becoming outfielders it was a clown show.

Draft eligible I think or could transfer and play immediately.

Huge blow as he was by far are best defensive outfielder.

He was jerked around the beginning of the year and with the infielders becoming outfielders it was a clown show.

Looked it up, draft eligible since sophomore year. Has a redshirt and a covid year, so 2 years of eligibility left. Transfer without sitting out.

Well, alright...you go dude.

Looked it up, draft eligible since sophomore year. Has a redshirt and a covid year, so 2 years of eligibility left. Transfer without sitting out.

Well, alright...you go dude.
He wasted no time getting in the portal. Would not surprise me one bit if Kessler was next. Plastiak should be. A group of pitchers definitely Cole Daniels if he has any remaining elig. Wouldn’t surprise me if Schultz left also putting him in the outfield really hurt his draft stick as a short player that can hit as excellent as there is no excuse for not being able to play the Infield With size and athleticism. Minge had 3 years to help him develop into a legitimate defensive infielder And at the last moment prior to his most opportune time to cash in he moves him to A corner outfield.

Last edited:
He wasted no time getting in the portal. Would not surprise me one bit if Kessler was next. Plastiak should be. A group of pitchers definitely Cole Daniels if he has any remaining elig. Wouldn’t surprise me if Schultz left also putting him in the outfield really hurt his draft stick as a short player that can hit as excellent as there is no excuse for not being able to play the Infield With size and athleticism. Minge had 3 years to help him develop into a legitimate defensive infielder And at the last moment prior to his most opportune time to cash in he moves him to A corner outfield.
Estep might have had enough of Mingiones BS by now to leave and he would find a decent landing place. Plastiak should do it on principle alone.

Pitching has been the biggest issue with Mingione. That said, our roster is indeed lacking in SEC caliber talent and until that improves we will continue to be in the bottom 3-4 teams annually.
Oh there's no doubt. And you will get killed in this league without reliable weekend arms. Which of course, we have been getting killed.

Announced via Twitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT