ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright

Smoke screen by the Lakers. They want Hurley
We’ll supposedly find out today, but Hurley’s comments that they “make a compelling case” makes it sound like a no. I think it was one of those things the Lakers needed to get the deal done when he was there in LA. I think Hurley posting the pic of himself at MSG after the media was suggesting LA made him an offer he couldn’t refuse…I think that was Hurley’s way of saying that rhetoric doesn’t apply to him.

Maybe I end up being wrong, but Hurley has shown what kind of man he is. I don’t think his lifestyle demands anywhere close to the money he makes at UConn which is still big money, I really don’t think the dollar signs move him like that. He’s already set, the wealth is already generational. I think Hurley more than just “likes” the developmental side too, I think it’s his main thing and I think he gets that from his father. That isn’t going to be the same at all in LA, they want to win now with veterans. There’s way less culture building in the NBA, way more moving parts, and way less influence on the players. The coaching aspect is way less personal I think. No matter how much control the organization wants to give him, he has more of control of UConn.

We’ll supposedly find out today, but Hurley’s comments that they “make a compelling case” makes it sound like a no. I think it was one of those things the Lakers needed to get the deal done when he was there in LA. I think Hurley posting the pic of himself at MSG after the media was suggesting LA made him an offer he couldn’t refuse…I think that was Hurley’s way of saying that rhetoric doesn’t apply to him.

Maybe I end up being wrong, but Hurley has shown what kind of man he is. I don’t think his lifestyle demands anywhere close to the money he makes at UConn which is still big money, I really don’t think the dollar signs move him like that. He’s already set, the wealth is already generational. I think Hurley more than just “likes” the developmental side too, I think it’s his main thing and I think he gets that from his father. That isn’t going to be the same at all in LA, they want to win now with veterans. There’s way less culture building in the NBA, way more moving parts, and way less influence on the players. The coaching aspect is way less personal I think. No matter how much control the organization wants to give him, he has more of control of UConn.
I agree. I think this Lakers flirtation is just brand building for him. I think he rides this UConn train for a while and the NBA will be a plan B or future swan song/bucket list thing (and even then I think it'd be a Knicks, Nets, or Celtics gig).

I think Jay Wright has proven to be a pretty good coach.. But he's another one who got 2 titles off of the same squad (more or less). And if you look at the rest of his results at Villanova.. it's not all that great.

2 Final Fours
1 Elite 8
3 Sweet 16s
7 2nd round losses
1 1st round loss
4 times missed the tournament.

That's not great, for a coach who is supposedly top3 over the last few decades. Now, I'd still take Jay Wright in a heartbeat, just at the chance that his recent success is more akin to who he is now as a coach. But there's a good chance that those titles were more outliers for a career that otherwise, was pretty meh. If you remember, before those titles, Jay Wright/Villanova were always kind of seen as march choke artists, a team that you could usually factor in for not making it tot he 2nd weekend.

Reactions: blubo

Agree with all this. And for the life of me I don't know how any college coach would want to go to the NBA. Let alone to the Lakers/Lebron shit show. Not for any amount of money.
If I was Jeanie Buss and read Hurley's comment "very compelling" I wouldn't feel real good but who knows....

Reactions: BigKari
I like Jay great coach really wished he could have coached here and I respect the fact when contacted he said not interested not like drew and hurley who let their wife's do the negotiating man going to get killed for that statement 😉

I think Jay Wright has proven to be a pretty good coach.. But he's another one who got 2 titles off of the same squad (more or less). And if you look at the rest of his results at Villanova.. it's not all that great.

2 Final Fours
1 Elite 8
3 Sweet 16s
7 2nd round losses
1 1st round loss
4 times missed the tournament.

That's not great, for a coach who is supposedly top3 over the last few decades. Now, I'd still take Jay Wright in a heartbeat, just at the chance that his recent success is more akin to who he is now as a coach. But there's a good chance that those titles were more outliers for a career that otherwise, was pretty meh. If you remember, before those titles, Jay Wright/Villanova were always kind of seen as march choke artists, a team that you could usually factor in for not making it tot he 2nd weekend.
Yeah, he went to 4 final Fours at Villanova, but he didn't make the tournament between 2002 and 2004, so he might be a flash in the pan.

Yeah, he went to 4 final Fours at Villanova, but he didn't make the tournament between 2002 and 2004, so he might be a flash in the pan.

I think the fact that he has like 8 2nd round exits is the biggest factor here, as opposed to missing the tournament.

Sure doesn't seem like a whole lot better of a resume than Cals, despite just ONE more title.

And again, I'll point out the fact that before those titles, Jay Wright was a punchline got most of college basketball. Maybe some of you forgot that, but back in 2015, he was the coach who you could always count on to not be there in the 2nd weekend.

Lost some respect for Wright when he staunchly defended Cal’s pathetic last decade. Easy to do that when you have two nattys to your credit.
When do coaches ever trash other coaches? They’re all one big circle with each other.

I think the fact that he has like 8 2nd round exits is the biggest factor here, as opposed to missing the tournament.

Sure doesn't seem like a whole lot better of a resume than Cals, despite just ONE more title.

And again, I'll point out the fact that before those titles, Jay Wright was a punchline got most of college basketball. Maybe some of you forgot that, but back in 2015, he was the coach who you could always count on to not be there in the 2nd weekend.
I hear ya but he did do well with the 2006 squad that went to the elite 8 and whose best player had an eye injury and lost to eventual champ Florida. Then made it to the 09 Final Four.

His 2018 squad was amazing. What a roster that was.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I hear ya but he did do well with the 2006 squad that went to the elite 8 and whose best player had an eye injury and lost to eventual champ Florida. Then made it to the 09 Final Four.

His 2018 squad was amazing. What a roster that was.

Those teams around 2016 and 2018 were very good, for sure.

I just don't know that we should assume THATS the version of Jay Wright that anyone is going to get. I feel a littler safer in the notion that Hurley could be that guy.

So what I'm gettin' here is someone leaked our board's coaching wish list to the Lakers.

Anyone wanna fess up or do I have to call The Gimp? LOL

Reactions: KFuqua

That seems to be the case, I think only the Knicks job could ever pry him away, maybe the Nets.

Lost some respect for Wright when he staunchly defended Cal’s pathetic last decade. Easy to do that when you have two nattys to your credit.

Wright faced a lot of criticism himself. It is called empathy...lol.

How often do you hear coaches ragging on each other unless it is in a rivalry? It doesn't happen.

Good ole coaching fraternity for ya. Rake in millions, pat eachother on the back, and act like it's absolutely impossible to get any better.

Good ole coaching fraternity for ya. Rake in millions, pat eachother on the back, and act like it's absolutely impossible to get any better.
Yea. When was the last time you heard a coach criticize another coach? Not gonna happen.

Jay Wright was a good coach and I would have loved to have had him coach here, but the timing was never right. All though I think he had great respect for the program, I truly think he wouldn't touch the Kentucky job with a ten foot pole. I have heard him say to many things over the years, not negative but things leading to the pressure that comes with the job. There was little pressure at Villanova, and he won without a team full of all Americans, so there was never a reason to leave his comfort zone to come to Lexington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT