ADVERTISEMENT

Thamel said UK was going after Donovan

Mitch didn’t hire him himself, he assigned a committee and boosters had to basically convince Mitch to do it. It was all over the place back then that this was how it was done. Let’s hope he does it again this time, but if he decides to do it himself, and it’s Drew, we will know (or have good suspicions) why.
Dude stay on track...................I'm clearly talking about the ridiculous buyout........That was Mitch

Reactions: TheDude73
We know Wright isn’t interested. Oats said he is staying with Alabama after apparently being contacted by UK. Pearl has won less than Drew. I’m not sure why he is on your list. Donovan hasn’t coached in college in 15 years. He would not be high on my list. Lloyd is about like Drew in my opinion. I would be fine with him. Of the people on your list most seem to be out, so why not Drew?

It's being reported that our first and only call has been Drew. Not sure how to verify the truth of it but the timing and overall impression I'm getting is that Mitch locked in and setup an offer. If it turns out that Mitch reached out to Oats and he said no (in spite of reporting from our own guys that he had a ton of interest in the job) he either can't handle it or didn't actually get a call. Based on what I've seen, he clearly has the confidence and the coaching ability to get it done, which seems more likely?

Donovan doesn't become a worse basketball coach because he's been in the NBA for 15 years. NIL/recruiting changed but you solve that with your staff. He can still coach ball and is known because he coached the Chicago Bulls which is still wildly popular with young recruits. Pearl is likely the last guy on that list for me personally but it makes my point further, he isn't a Mitch guy.

My point is that the top tier guys have to say no first and the reporting right now indicates we didn't even ask. That's a huge problem for me.

What happened?

Speaking on ESPN’s SportsCenter, Thamel called Donovan Kentucky’s “Hail Mary hire, the home run hire” and the candidate “Kentucky is going to make say no.” Thamel also placed Hurley and retired Villanova coach Jay Wright in the “aspirational” category for the Wildcats.

Billy Donovan isn't coming. Jay Wright isn't coming. Scott Drew may, but I doubt it, he's at a private school and the JOY concept is important to him. UK is going to have to reach on a young, hungry coach, high reward/high risk. Or just hire who I wanted for Louisville, Chris Beard. That guy is a star.

That’s nothing but an assumption on your part and you’re treating it like its fact. You have no idea whether that enters into his decision making or not. That being said, I want him to hire an ethical person.
Its not an assumption when its been known since the beginning that Drew was Mitchs first choice cuz they're lil friends. Social circles r a thing and they usually revolve around a very small set of criteria. We all KNO that Mitch is a lil holier than thou. So, its not a hard connection.

It's being reported that our first and only call has been Drew. Not sure how to verify the truth of it but the timing and overall impression I'm getting is that Mitch locked in and setup an offer. If it turns out that Mitch reached out to Oats and he said no (in spite of reporting from our own guys that he had a ton of interest in the job) he either can't handle it or didn't actually get a call. Based on what I've seen, he clearly has the confidence and the coaching ability to get it done, which seems more likely?

Donovan doesn't become a worse basketball coach because he's been in the NBA for 15 years. NIL/recruiting changed but you solve that with your staff. He can still coach ball and is known because he coached the Chicago Bulls which is still wildly popular with young recruits. Pearl is likely the last guy on that list for me personally but it makes my point further, he isn't a Mitch guy.

My point is that the top tier guys have to say no first and the reporting right now indicates we didn't even ask. That's a huge problem for me.
That’s just not true. It was reported that UK reached out to Oats and he issued that statement saying he would be at Alabama. Where are you getting we haven’t reached out to anyone but Drew.

It’s not an assumption when it’s been known since the beginning that Drew was Mitchs first choice cuz they're lil friends. Social circles r a thing and they usually revolve around a very small set of criteria. We all KNO that Mitch is a lil holier than thou. So, it’s not a hard connection.
You’re making the assumption that if this is true it’s because of his social circle. You don’t know that. You are assuming that, which diminishes Drew’s accomplishments.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0

Billy Donovan isn't coming. Jay Wright isn't coming. Scott Drew may, but I doubt it, he's at a private school and the JOY concept is important to him. UK is going to have to reach on a young, hungry coach, high reward/high risk. Or just hire who I wanted for Louisville, Chris Beard. That guy is a star.
Sankey has said that Beard isn't allowed to be hired by any SEC teams due to a show clause. I swear I read that somewhere.

That’s just not true. It was reported that UK reached out to Oats and he issued that statement saying he would be at Alabama. Where are you getting we haven’t reached out to anyone but Drew.

It's all hearsay but I follow a discord server by someone who goes by a pseudonym of Trilly Donovan. He's apparently pretty tied into the news about college basketball and has broken a lot of recent news I've been following. He's (I'm assuming it's a dude) alleging we only went after Drew.

A cursory search shows no indication we've reached out to Oats and I believe Kyle Tucker even mentioned he would have been interested, so color me confused.

Last edited:
You’re making the assumption that if this is true it’s because of his social circle. You don’t know that. You are assuming that, which diminishes Drew’s accomplishments.
I feel like we r all assuming a lot right now. But, when Drew is announced as our new HC, a lot of us will truly know y, and resent it a lil bit and understand that it wasn't what was best for UK but what was tolerable to our AD, who never shuda been in charge of the hire completely, to begin with.

Sankey has said that Beard isn't allowed to be hired by any SEC teams due to a show clause. I swear I read that somewhere.

Beard is the closest thing to a "sure thing" out there that is realistic. It pisses me off that Louisville's AD would not even talk to him.

I think that's the rub. Right now, we all know nothing, which is normal. But the morsels of info we are getting from "family members of the team" indicate we're hot on Drew right now.

I mean, it could be the case that we don't want to pay the buyout for Oats but, my god, what a horrible reason to not hire someone as the next coach for Kentucky Basketball.

I feel like we r all assuming a lot right now. But, when Drew is announced as our new HC, a lot of us will truly know y, and resent it a lil bit and understand that it wasn't what was best for UK but what was tolerable to our AD, who never shuda been in charge of the hire completely, to begin with.
If you believe your assumptions are fact, there is nothing anyone can ever say to you. Plus you have no idea who else he talked to.

It's all hearsay but I follow a discord server by someone who goes by a pseudonym of Trilly Donovan. He's apparently pretty tied into the news about college basketball and has broken a lot of recent news I've been following. He's (I'm assuming it's a dude) alleging we only went after Donovan.

A cursory search shows no indication we've reached out to Oats and I believe Kyle Tucker even mentioned he would have been interested, so color me confused.
Look through the other threads. There is a tweet about it from the Alabama side saying UK contacted him through back channels. I would also advise you to not put too much stock in anything that is said by so called insiders.

Look through the other threads. There is a tweet about it from the Alabama side saying UK contacted him through back channels. I would also advise you to not put too much stock in anything that is said by so called insiders.

And I would advise you to not put too much stock into coaches making generic statements about the future of their programs and universities trying to protect their coaches. There's a lot of incentive to make a statement that paints the picture that your coach turned down UK right now.

I guess we're all assuming until it plays out but until I hear Mitch or one of the better candidates say otherwise, I'm inclined to lean on Mitch's history on these sort of things.

I'll answer that. Cuz y is Barnharts morality allowed to play a part n this university's coaching hire? Idgaf what dude does n his free time. Ain't nobody hating on church. But when he puts THAT criteria above his actual job, its an issue. And let's not forget that ole Drew ain't exactly squeaky clean...any other questions?
Seems like mind reading to suggest M would hire D just because of church compatibility.

11 plus losses in 4 of last 7 seasons,couldn't beat Kansas,never won a conferance tourney or their league title.
Didn’t have the Kentucky name to recruit to either. Maybe it doesn’t matter, maybe it does! Good coach for the players he’s had in my opinion and with better players could potentially be great! Who knows. I do know this job is one of the best and probably one of the hardest in all of sports, no one is what you would call guaranteed at all of it.

Yeah at f'n Baylor.

That's like coaching at ole miss....and winning a championship there

So is Baylor a juggernaut (i.e. are they this massive program Drew has built or is it correlated directly to how poor Baylor's history is) or not?

I am not surprised that some are against Christianity, it is becoming more and more common.

If freakn Drew is the new HC, I'll be disappointed but I'll support it. A bar of wet, musty soap would be better than what we had 24 hrs ago. It won't be the home run hire I wanted, but if it means this fan base can finally come together again and be Kentucky bball fans again, I'll concede.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT