ADVERTISEMENT

Thamel said UK was going after Donovan

Would a coach who thinks the Bible is horse 'ish offend you? I 'identify' as Christian, but cuss like a sailor, but it would not bother me whether the coach was religious or not. He's there to WIN GAMES, not END GENERATIONAL POVERTY.
I never said a new coach should be here to end generational poverty. I'm very much a sinner. At the same time, I would love for our new coach to be a God fearing man. If he's not, that's his prerogative.

He mentioned bible meetings because it's pretty clear that if Drew is the hire it isn't because he's the best name available, it's because he's a friend of Mitch's who happens to share a ton of interests (like the bible).

Ya'll need something else to be offended about these days?
If they shared an interest in golf would that be a disqualifier? How about a common interest in muscle cars? In 70's classic rock?

I can answer for him because I think the same thing.

It’s not about your religion, it’s the fact that Mitch chooses Drew for the wrong reasons - his bible / religion sharing buddy is not a reason to hire a basketball coach.

Get over your softness about your religion. Grow some skin while you’re at it.
Did Mitch hire Billy G, and then Calipari, so they could attend bible meetings together? I think not

Drew is a good coach, even if he's not everyone's first choice.

This is a horrible take.

He mentioned bible meetings because it's pretty clear that if Drew is the hire it isn't because he's the best name available, it's because he's a friend of Mitch's who happens to share a ton of interests (like the bible).

Ya'll need something else to be offended about these days?
Why is that clear? It’s not clear to me.

Why does everyone assume something so silly? Everyone here has been screaming for a new coach for years. Anyone but Cal we say. Now, Cal is gone and we could potentially end up with a very good option.

I think it is a vanilla hire as far as personality goes, but the guy seems to be a good coach and a good man. Making the Bible comment was childish. Sorry that it gets old seeing people constantly bash anything to do with Christianity.
Christianity has its place like everything else. This should be a situation where it isn't the place. Business and religion rarely mix, and all most of us fans want is for someone in charge with the right intentions to do his job to the best of his ability, outside if moral conflict.

Did Mitch hire Billy G, and then Calipari, so they could attend bible meetings together? I think not

Drew is a good coach, even if he's not everyone's first choice.

This is a horrible take.
Mitch didn’t officially “hire” Cal. He let a committee do it. This time if he hires Drew, there will be more than just “he can coach” tied to it. The religion sharing piece is one thing, but in the interviews I’ve seen of Drew, he’s just as goofy and conservative acting as Barney. Two peas in a pod, and one hired for the wrong reasons.

I never said a new coach should be here to end generational poverty. I'm very much a sinner. At the same time, I would love for our new coach to be a God fearing man. If he's not, that's his prerogative.
And I didn't say you said that. I only asked you if it would offend you if the coach wasn't a Christian. Clearly it would bother you. You think people who don't agree with you are "funny". I'm glad you're not part of the hiring process.

• Haha
Reactions: MbergCat
Christianity has its place like everything else. This should be a situation where it isn't the place. Business and religion rarely mix, and all most of us fans want is for someone in charge with the right intentions to do his job to the best of his ability, outside if moral conflict.
That's perfectly fair. I just found it humorous I got attacked by several on here who I normally agree with when I defended Christianity...

Why is that clear? It’s not clear to me.

Every talking head I've kept track of since last night has mentioned "potential" candidates for UK but nothing is concrete at this point. Tonight, Drew has garnered a lot of traction as allegedly players families are being told he's been offered. No way of know if that is true, but, assuming it is, that's a pretty quick trigger on a very iffy hire with a ton of bigger names out there.

Why jump the gun?

Reactions: ULISwuzPointGod
And I didn't say you said that. I only asked you if it would offend you if the coach wasn't a Christian. Clearly it would bother you. You think people don't agree with you are "funny". I'm glad you're not part of the hiring process.
I just said it wouldn't offend me. I'm friends with people from all walks of life. But, if the new coach was a God fearing man, it would make me like him that much more.

Mitch didn’t officially “hire” Cal. He let a committee do it. This time if he hires Drew, there will be more than just “he can coach” tied to it. The religion sharing piece is one thing, but in the interviews I’ve seen of Drew, he’s just as goofy and conservative acting as Barney. Two peas in a pod, and one hired for the wrong reasons.
So it's his politics....gotcha

That's perfectly fair. I just found it humorous I got attacked by several on here who I normally agree with when I defended Christianity...
No one is attacking you or Christianity. A lot of us r Christians. We r just saying that u can't hire someone based on ur own beliefs when it isn't the best business decision. And let's NOT forget that Drew isnt exactly squeaky clean n the morality department....he's had his own issues.

You're having a rough night amigo. Winning back to back in the NCAA has been accomplished by 7 schools in NCAABB history. Since 1990 only two have done so. Prior to that is a wild card because the tournament was a sham show with half of the good teams at home.

The variability of having to win six straight games under the pressure cooker of the NCAA tournament is absurd. He had a great group of guys, surely, but he assembled that group and coached them to those championships with astounding acumen.

Billy Donovan isn't my first choice either, but I have zero doubt he would be the best possible hire outside of a home run like Hurley (isn't leaving UCONN, nor should he), Wright (happily retired) and Stevens (will never coach again).

It's not like he forgot how to coach basketball by being a coach in the pinnacle of the sport and he could hire a staff of current NCAA assistants that can help fill in the NIL/recruiting skills he may lack. Either way, recruits will know who Billy Donovan is and will come here for the both the coach and UK (IMO).

I’m fine with Donovan first. Obviously, you make that hire first. Hands down, no doubt. Doesn’t matter what he’s done lately or that he doesn’t have a team ready. You have to make that hire.

But I’m not going to say Drew, who’s established and with guys like Edge coming, might not be a better pick at the end of the day. Drew would have a team assembled quickly, and would retain many of our players.

Having said that, Jeff and Reed might just stick around for Donovan. And it would be the biggest splash in college basketball since Cal came to Lexington. We’d have Donovan. You have to and it would solidify Kentucky as the goat program. It would be huge. But is Donovan still as hungry as he ever was? I don’t have the answer to that question.

And I didn't say you said that. I only asked you if it would offend you if the coach wasn't a Christian. Clearly it would bother you. You think people who don't agree with you are "funny". I'm glad you're not part of the hiring process.
Also, I'm laugh reacting because you seem mighty flustered that I'm not agreeing with you. I do find it cute that you went back and laughed at my perfectly level response to someone else though.

No one is attacking you or Christianity. A lot of us r Christians. We r just saying that u can't hire someone based on ur own beliefs when it isn't the best business decision. And let's NOT forget that Drew isnt exactly squeaky clean n the morality department....he's had his own issues.
Who on here at any point said you should hire someone based on their religious affiliations? You are beating a dead horse.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I'm not as high on Billy D as others.

He's been out of the college game for long enough that it's no given that he can make the transition back. I also think he's getting a LITTLE too much mileage out of two titles with the same team coming back. I'm MUCH more impressed when a coach can win with different teams, either partially or fully new squads. A LOT of title winners over the last decade, would win the next year if they returned their team like that.

Idk, not a big fan of the NBA route. I think those guys are there for a reason. They don't want to deal with the college game.
Maybe, but maybe after all these years he would rather deal with the college game than never having a shot at really winning anything. Maybe he misses being in part of a sport where he has more control of whether his team wins or not.

I don’t know either way, but I have to think losing can get tiring after a while.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
So we'd be better off if our AD and head ball coach do not like each other, disrespect the boss and talk once a year, I think we have seen that movie before.

Again, not making this argument at all. But Mitch running to Drew the instant he gets another shot at a coach isn't because Drew is coming off of a steamer run in the final four or any other barometer of a great coach. That's my argument. In a world where there is potential for names like Wright, Donovan, Oats, Pearl, Floyd etc. why are we locking in on a guy that has double digit losses in 8 of his last 12 seasons? Has only won 1 in 4 against Kansas?

Something is off here, that's all this is.

Reactions: ULISwuzPointGod
Why did you feel the need to defend it? I’m lost as to how this got to this point. Your religion is dominating in the US and around the world, just as you prefer. You really have no need to defend it, do you?

And why would you ask someone else if their bible studying offended them? Sounds like you’re itching for a religious debate, when all the guy implied was it’s not a good thing to hire a basketball coach because you share the same religious/political views. You set that stuff aside and hire them because they are the best guy for the JOB.

Every talking head I've kept track of since last night has mentioned "potential" candidates for UK but nothing is concrete at this point. Tonight, Drew has garnered a lot of traction as allegedly players families are being told he's been offered. No way of know if that is true, but, assuming it is, that's a pretty quick trigger on a very iffy hire with a ton of bigger names out there.

Why jump the gun?
Again, you are making a lot of assumptions. I’m sure they have reached out to a variety of coaches to gauge interest. Once you get past a couple of names, Drew is as good as anyone. How do you know the top tier coaches haven’t already given a hard no?

Here, let's say this more plainly, hire Scott Drew if he's the best man for the job and you think you can't do better.

I think we can do better and people that are insiders say we really aren't trying to do better. Why is that?

Well, we could hire a couple more alcoholics. I mean that worked out so well for us......geesh
You’re swinging this a bit too wildly. Barney is a goofy cornball who moves and decides things very conservatively. Drew strikes me as the same kind of person. Methodically conservative, not aggressive.

This has nothing to do with wanting a drunk idiot as a coach. Stay on track here.

Again, you are making a lot of assumptions. I’m sure they have reached out to a variety of coaches to gauge interest. Once you get past a couple of names, Drew is as good as anyone. How do you know the top tier coaches haven’t already given a hard no?

Because you typically indicate in your "No" that you've been contacted about a position. Oats' statement is as vanilla a "no" as exists. Insiders like Thamel, Trilly, Norlander etc. have all said that UK seems to be honing in on Drew (with no indication that we've contacted any of the S tier coaches) and there's a history between Drew and Mitch.

Also, Mitch tends to do this. He finds his guy and just goes with it. He's about 50-50 on these hires.

Again, not making this argument at all. But Mitch running to Drew the instant he gets another shot at a coach isn't because Drew is coming off of a steamer run in the final four or any other barometer of a great coach. That's my argument. In a world where there is potential for names like Wright, Donovan, Oats, Pearl, Floyd etc. why are we locking in on a guy that has double digit losses in 8 of his last 12 seasons? Has only won 1 in 4 against Kansas?

Something is off here, that's all this is.
We know Wright isn’t interested. Oats said he is staying with Alabama after apparently being contacted by UK. Pearl has won less than Drew. I’m not sure why he is on your list. Donovan hasn’t coached in college in 15 years. He would not be high on my list. Lloyd is about like Drew in my opinion. I would be fine with him. Of the people on your list most seem to be out, so why not Drew?

What exactly is your issue with me? I've always agreed with the three of you who are all of the sudden attacking me for making a comment defending Christianity.
I'm not attacking u. Never was. Nor Christianity. I'm just saying that the guy paid to make a business decision doesn't get to invoke his moral high ground when making what should be a business decision that will affect sooooo many Ppl based on his religious beliefs. You said I was bearing a dead horse. I was literally just responding to you.

You’re swinging this a bit too wildly. Barney is a goofy cornball who moves and decides things very conservatively. Drew strikes me as the same kind of person. Methodically conservative, not aggressive.

This has nothing to do with wanting a drunk idiot as a coach. Stay on track here.
The ridiculous Calipari extension was not very conservative for a bean counter. Can we agree on that?

Because you typically indicate in your "No" that you've been contacted about a position. Oats' statement is as vanilla a "no" as exists. Insiders like Thamel, Trilly, Norlander etc. have all said that UK seems to be honing in on Drew (with no indication that we've contacted any of the S tier coaches) and there's a history between Drew and Mitch.

Also, Mitch tends to do this. He finds his guy and just goes with it. He's about 50-50 on these hires.
Every coach that is contacted through back channels doesn’t issue a public saying saying what happened. You will never know everyone who was contacted.

I'm not attacking u. Never was. Nor Christianity. I'm just saying that the guy paid to make a business decision doesn't get to invoke his moral high ground when making what should be a business decision that will affect sooooo many Ppl based on his religious beliefs. You said I was bearing a dead horse. I was literally just responding to you.
Well, I'm sorry if that offended you, it wasn't my intent. You were just like the third person to come at me for a simple question I asked.

The ridiculous Calipari extension was not very conservative for a bean counter. Can we agree on that?
Mitch didn’t hire him himself, he assigned a committee and boosters had to basically convince Mitch to do it. It was all over the place back then that this was how it was done. Let’s hope he does it again this time, but if he decides to do it himself, and it’s Drew, we will know (or have good suspicions) why.

That’s nothing but an assumption on your part and you’re treating it like its fact. You have no idea whether that enters into his decision making or not. That being said, I want him to hire an ethical person.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT