ADVERTISEMENT

Infamous Rupp Rafters posters that don't post anymore.

@brianpoe

Cool your jets, man. No need to call me names or challenge me to a duel. I was simply going by the USA Today article and the press releases from UK. I am a UK fan so I tend to side with them on such things. And I am a big fan of what Sandy Bell has accomplished since holding the position she has held in UK's compliance dept. So I take her at her word.

On the other hand…I don't know you or anybody you worked with so I have no clue if what you say is true about the BBN stuff. I am glad you got the opportunity to tell your side of the story though. So chalk up another victory for the ability to post freely on a message board. And if what you say is true…then that is messed up. We are in the presence of a slogan guru who got the shaft from a major university…which sucks.

I will leave a link to the article. Should clarify why I posted what I did. Doesn't make any mention about the BBN stuff. Just has you quoted at the end as saying that the penalty was probably so harsh because this was on the tail end of the Mumme fiasco.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/other/2004-01-14-kentucky-booster-ban_x.htm

We were not boosters, never gave one penny to UK, we were fans but we had more of a media company than the Cats Pause or another site as we had print, web, tv and radio.

Thanks Brian for sharing. I do have one disagreement and that is that the definition of "booster" by the NCAA would have including you, whether you gave money or not. The NCAA went to an expanded definition of booster years ago to close out a potential loophole.

I would class you as a booster, according to the NCAA definition of the term.

Reactions: TheKentuckyKid
@brianpoe

Cool your jets, man. No need to call me names or challenge me to a duel. I was simply going by the USA Today article and the press releases from UK. I am a UK fan so I tend to side with them on such things. And I am a big fan of what Sandy Bell has accomplished since holding the position she has held in UK's compliance dept. So I take her at her word.

On the other hand…I don't know you or anybody you worked with so I have no clue if what you say is true about the BBN stuff. I am glad you got the opportunity to tell your side of the story though. So chalk up another victory for the ability to post freely on a message board. And if what you say is true…then that is messed up. We are in the presence of a slogan guru who got the shaft from a major university…which sucks.

I will leave a link to the article. Should clarify why I posted what I did. Doesn't make any mention about the BBN stuff. Just has you quoted at the end as saying that the penalty was probably so harsh because this was on the tail end of the Mumme fiasco.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/other/2004-01-14-kentucky-booster-ban_x.htm

Thanks Brian for sharing. I do have one disagreement and that is that the definition of "booster" by the NCAA would have including you, whether you gave money or not. The NCAA went to an expanded definition of booster years ago to close out a potential loophole.

Then Jrow and the other guys who work here are all boosters.

Matt is a booster.

How you think I am a booster makes no sense.

I guess all recruiting guys are boosters.

Every website is a booster.

You sharing articles must be a booster.

Explain this or it is very dumb in my opinion.

Brian, please take note of:
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Role of Boosters
Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever.

Role of Boosters
Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever.

Never did any of that. So you are wrong.

The coaches wondered about about walkons and grey shirts s o we did an expose for the entire south and made it public.

Never a booster and had more media outlets and national writers/sportscasters covering multiple states than any other entity in UK sports.

Last edited:

Role of Boosters

I was there, point out the one point that you can prove that made us boosters and I believe I can shoot it down.

I was there, point out the one point that you can prove that made us boosters and I believe I can shoot it down.

I don't know all the particulars, obviously. But, keep in mind the way it is defined is so open ended that it allows almost anyone who is a fan of any program to be classed as a booster. Apparently, Sandy Bell determined that you were a booster, right?

I don't know all the particulars, obviously. But, keep in mind the way it is defined is so open ended that it allows almost anyone who is a fan of any program to be classed as a booster. Apparently, Sandy Bell determined that you were a booster, right?

Actually because back then, there were only the local tv channels around to be called media which was a problem for Bell. It was unheard of for an Internet blog to be called a media outlet without have a resource for information to flow through. We took that info and decided to make the media thing happen. We started the BigBlueNation magazine, and started going to local restaurants to do our BBN radio show, years before KSR did it. Finally we got some financial backing and started our own TV show. We inquired about media access to other SEC schools after a few months of printing our monthly magazine and weekly TV show, and was told that we were ok'ed for media passes. With football season coming up we asked for media passes at UK and was turned down, in Bell's opinion we were still not media. In the end, it was presented to us that things would be good if we gave up the rights to our name, BigBlueNation. We refused and our troubles started with UK. Our other plans were to start a monthly recruiting service for the state of Kentucky because we felt that some areas of the state did not get sufficient exposure for their players. Nothing under the table or for the University of Kentucky but for Kentucky High School athletes. This point started the whole booster talk by Bell which caused us more problems with UK. First, Brian had been the military so he had no season tickets or made any donations. My season tickets were owned by an elderly gentlemen who allowed me to buy from him so I did not donate to UK either. In the end UK started calling our investors, our advertising clients, and other SEC schools to get them to disassociate with us. When it didn't work they banned Brian because we did like podcasts with local athletes and they deemed it broke NCAA rules but it didn't. This was so new that the NCAA didn't even know how to cover this. The LHL's article says that the ban was coming from the University not the NCAA, further proof that it was always about us not turning over our name for UK to own. Sorry for being so long but there is even more but that's for another day.

Actually because back then, there were only the local tv channels around to be called media which was a problem for Bell. It was unheard of for an Internet blog to be called a media outlet without have a resource for information to flow through. We took that info and decided to make the media thing happen. We started the BigBlueNation magazine, and started going to local restaurants to do our BBN radio show, years before KSR did it. Finally we got some financial backing and started our own TV show. We inquired about media access to other SEC schools after a few months of printing our monthly magazine and weekly TV show, and was told that we were ok'ed for media passes. With football season coming up we asked for media passes at UK and was turned down, in Bell's opinion we were still not media. In the end, it was presented to us that things would be good if we gave up the rights to our name, BigBlueNation. We refused and our troubles started with UK. Our other plans were to start a monthly recruiting service for the state of Kentucky because we felt that some areas of the state did not get sufficient exposure for their players. Nothing under the table or for the University of Kentucky but for Kentucky High School athletes. This point started the whole booster talk by Bell which caused us more problems with UK. First, Brian had been the military so he had no season tickets or made any donations. My season tickets were owned by an elderly gentlemen who allowed me to buy from him so I did not donate to UK either. In the end UK started calling our investors, our advertising clients, and other SEC schools to get them to disassociate with us. When it didn't work they banned Brian because we did like podcasts with local athletes and they deemed it broke NCAA rules but it didn't. This was so new that the NCAA didn't even know how to cover this. The LHL's article says that the ban was coming from the University not the NCAA, further proof that it was always about us not turning over our name for UK to own. Sorry for being so long but there is even more but that's for another day.

I appreciate the information. It doesn't surprise me that none of this came from the NCAA. This would fall under the category of instiutional compliance. Keep in mind that UK has been targeted by the NCAA and compliance does tend to be on the "conservative" side as a result. Boosters were out of control during the Sutton era.

BTW, I am not siding with UK in this discussion. I am seeking to better understand what happened. I once worked in compliance and, while that was a LONG time ago, I still find it interesting. I just would never do it again. And, for the record, I was a lowly assistant.

I stopped posting on most boards in 2012 (even UNC's). Went through a divorce, tough custody battle and started a business. I came back here last year when UK was undefeated to wish you well at a Final Four and Title run......and got blasted. Won't apologize for stepping away from "virtual" to address real life. This was always a fun outlet for me.

Posted a little on UNC's board this year and defended UK quite often actually. My opinion of UK is the same as years ago. Respect the program, coaches and players as an Elite (and best numbers of all programs) program.

As for UNC. My opinion doesn't change because it's my team. No problem with sanctions/penalties for anyone who gets caught. I said that from day one. I grew up a UNC fan and I'm still one.
I don't know you but b.s. We've all had tough times, I broke my back, several surgeries, not including rehab, pt, dry needle ap, nerve blocks, ablations, etc. So a little time each day, do able. You squirmed away as your slimey team got more and more guilty. I wish you the best regarding your separation and custody, but don't hide behind the realities of your school being the biggest cheater in college sports history. Life's tough, make lemonade. Your team cheats, lies, has players ineligible, has dishonest boosters, has a coach who is worse than Larry Brown, ... Best to you and your evolving life, but shove that pity me I stand by my team. Good day to you sir. Or is it madaam?

I don't know you but b.s. We've all had tough times, I broke my back, several surgeries, not including rehab, pt, dry needle ap, nerve blocks, ablations, etc. So a little time each day, do able. You squirmed away as your slimey team got more and more guilty. I wish you the best regarding your separation and custody, but don't hide behind the realities of your school being the biggest cheater in college sports history. Life's tough, make lemonade. Your team cheats, lies, has players ineligible, has dishonest boosters, has a coach who is worse than Larry Brown, ... Best to you and your evolving life, but shove that pity me I stand by my team. Good day to you sir. Or is it madaam?
I'm not sure he would disagree with you. He was probably just saying he didn't spend much time on the message boards when he was dealing with more important stuff...like stuff that was bigger than kids playing basketball.

In your case, if you go through traumatic stuff again, feel free to take time away from a message board during that period. I (and I'd hope others) won't consider it an indictment of your fandom. I would actually consider it responsible behavior.

I'm not sure he would disagree with you. He was probably just saying he didn't spend much time on the message boards when he was dealing with more important stuff...like stuff that was bigger than kids playing basketball.

In your case, if you go through traumatic stuff again, feel free to take time away from a message board during that period. I (and I'd hope others) won't consider it an indictment of your fandom. I would actually consider it responsible behavior.
Wise and supportive words. [thumb2]

I stopped posting on most boards in 2012 (even UNC's). Went through a divorce, tough custody battle and started a business. I came back here last year when UK was undefeated to wish you well at a Final Four and Title run......and got blasted.

As for UNC. My opinion doesn't change because it's my team. No problem with sanctions/penalties for anyone who gets caught..

Oh, thank goodness . . . been sick and worried about you . . . thought you checked yourself out for good. All those convenient places in your mom's basement. Sorry for the harsh posts earlier, not that I didn't mean every word of it - good ploy to drag you out of hiding, make sure you were ok. After you disappeared when the unc shame, shame, shame began, word was that it was because you were building a house. Now it's a divorce. Good thinking. If unc can't be perfect, kick the old lady to the curb. What went wrong? Did you find a flaw in her? Revealed that she wasn't a perfect image after all? If you can stay a unc fan then why can't you stay married? I'll bet that custody battle was tough: your honor, he spent day and night on a UK message board trying to create an image for himself . . . twenty-five thousand posts in 5 years . . . who do you THINK has been taking care of the kids?

Why not stick around for the sake of old times? Put some polish on your old objectivity in the thread about the unc scandal. Yes, you will have problems soon. And it wasn't overlooked that you wrote anyone who gets caught vs. anyone who cheats. Perfect irony, fitting for your true morals. Enjoy those cross-town road games when you look up and see those banners in Raleigh, the ones from 75 and 83, that put your local rival on equal status, save for the fact that those never spent many, many long years alongside wretchedness, fraud, corruption. Congrats on staying a unc fan. You will never be as good as us. You never have been.

I appreciate the information. It doesn't surprise me that none of this came from the NCAA. This would fall under the category of instiutional compliance. Keep in mind that UK has been targeted by the NCAA and compliance does tend to be on the "conservative" side as a result. Boosters were out of control during the Sutton era.

BTW, I am not siding with UK in this discussion. I am seeking to better understand what happened. I once worked in compliance and, while that was a LONG time ago, I still find it interesting. I just would never do it again. And, for the record, I was a lowly assistant.

Preacher, I know you wasn't, but I thought you deserved an answer to the things being said. The one thing I can say, it was a new era coming to dawn back then but no universities could stop it. In fact it actually gave them another avenue of income so all their fears had no merit but they still wanted control of anyone who associated themselves with the UK program. I had no problem with that but being harassed just for a name was senseless, it's a shame they wouldn't work with us.

Oh, thank goodness . . . been sick and worried about you . . . thought you checked yourself out for good. All those convenient places in your mom's basement. Sorry for the harsh posts earlier, not that I didn't mean every word of it - good ploy to drag you out of hiding, make sure you were ok. After you disappeared when the unc shame, shame, shame began, word was that it was because you were building a house. Now it's a divorce. Good thinking. If unc can't be perfect, kick the old lady to the curb. What went wrong? Did you find a flaw in her? Revealed that she wasn't a perfect image after all? If you can stay a unc fan then why can't you stay married? I'll bet that custody battle was tough: your honor, he spent day and night on a UK message board trying to create an image for himself . . . twenty-five thousand posts in 5 years . . . who do you THINK has been taking care of the kids?

Why not stick around for the sake of old times? Put some polish on your old objectivity in the thread about the unc scandal. Yes, you will have problems soon. And it wasn't overlooked that you wrote anyone who gets caught vs. anyone who cheats. Perfect irony, fitting for your true morals. Enjoy those cross-town road games when you look up and see those banners in Raleigh, the ones from 75 and 83, that put your local rival on equal status, save for the fact that those never spent many, many long years alongside wretchedness, fraud, corruption. Congrats on staying a unc fan. You will never be as good as us. You never have been.
Tasteless.

You do realize we are just fans of different basketball teams and we are all just people, right?

So who ended up with the copyright on "Big Blue Nation" Sorry if I missed it

No problem. The new investors just wanted to get back into good graces with UK so they offered the rights to the name to UK in hopes that all would be alright. Once they had the name they would still not let us into the games as media and they continued to bad mouth us with our sponsors until most left. It hurt a lot of innocent folks involved because of their attitude. And remember this, the University has every decent attorney alive and within a 100 mile radius tied to them in one way or another so there's no fighting them.

NCAAcoach strikes again with more lies. He was posting his ass off over on the UNC board the whole time. I saw many of the scandal threads full of his posts. I noted it because it confirmed to me what a coward he was for not posting over here. Don't believe this guy's schtick. He was working overtime on his home board so his feeling weren't too hurt to post. What a crock.

Didn't mean to hijack anything. Just answered a question. Yes, I did build a house during that timeframe, didn't take 4 years.

It's a message board and we cheer for different teams. It is what it is. I got out of routine because of circumstances far more important to me. I stopped posting as frequent well before the UNC investigations to basketball. Posts are fully searchable and I did post quite a lot before. Posting 84 times in the last 4 years on even the UNC is quite different than before for sure.

I wish you all well personally and with the sports teams you follow. Take care.

Last edited:

My point to him is to basically say, "b.s." He stopped posting when his "school", is that the right word if they don't teach you anything, was found to be fraudulent. I bet he would have stayed around had that not been the case.

Didn't mean to hijack anything. Just answered a question. Yes, I did build a house during that timeframe, didn't take 4 years.

It's a message board and we cheer for different teams. It is what it is. I got out of routine because of circumstances far more important to me. I stopped posting as frequent well before the UNC investigations to basketball. Posts are fully searchable and I did post quite a lot before. Posting 84 times in the last 4 years on even the UNC is quite different than before for sure.

I wish you all well personally and with the sports teams you follow. Take care.

First, it is true that coach pulled back on posting on both boards. I remember a post on the UNC board in which he even explained why he went away.

Second, I certainly would have gone away too if my school had the problems UNC has had. Those problems kill any kind of joy in posting. I would have focused more on other parts of my life too.

Third, unlike RevHeels, Coach never attacked Cal and UK. Nor did Coach call us liars for talking about the scandal like he did.

Fourth, my ONLY real criticism of Coach is that I think, based on the facts, he should have admitted that UNC should be punished severely for their crimes. But, I also understand why he has been reluctant to do that. I may not do that either if it were my team!

Last edited:

Wow, I had for a moment, felt that I'd been harsh.

Tasteless.

You do realize we are just fans of different basketball teams and we are all just people, right?

No, that's where you're wrong and don't be so naïve about life. Even in these simple message boards people will come to use them fraudulently, to give an appearance of one thing when they intend entirely another. Tasteless is precisely what I was going for. So thanks, and I mean that. If he sticks around there could be more. He's got it coming.

First, it is true that coach pulled back on posting on both boards. I remember a post on the UNC board in which he even explained why he went away.

Second, I certainly would have gone away too if my school had the problems UNC has had. Those problems kill any kind of joy in posting. I would have focused more on other parts of my life too.

Third, unlike RevHeels, Coach never attacked Cal and UK. Nor did Coach call us liars for talking about the scandal like he did.

Fourth, my ONLY real criticism of Coach is that I think, based on the facts, he should have admitted that UNC should be punished severely for their crimes. But, I also understand why he has been reluctant to do that. I may not do that either if it were my team!

That's not completely accurate Preacher,While I seriously doubt I can go back far enough to find the posts made by NCAAUCoach during a few different threads,he was outed with his colors several times in heated discussions.He is no different than the rest of the UNC holier than thou crowd and while some of his shots at UK and Calipari may have been subtle or camouflaged,he still looks down his nose at Kentucky Basketball and it's fans. He also took shots at residents of the state and hinted at UK Basketball and Calipari as being corrupt while UNC sits on a pedestal of purity unmatched by any other NCAA Team.
I have 2nd hand knowledge of the corruption at UNC (via Family Member)that has carried on since Frank McGuire in the late 50's ,while any fan will undoubtedly defend their team,to act one way while actually just putting on a front is just as bad as outright Lying,No Respect from me for him or the Crookedest Basketball Program in the history of college hoops.

On the Poe deal, my assumption was and has been that he was just on the forefront of internet based "stuff", and as common and in place as all that seems today, there was a time when it was new and people just didn't know how to deal with it or how to think of it. Especially compliance oriented people. Sometimes if you go first you get the prize. And sometimes if you're in front you just take the first bullet......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT