ADVERTISEMENT

I think our guard situation next year looks better..

Okay, but if he's not getting drafted he's getting $0, zilch, nada, zero dollars unless he somehow manages to make a squad and get a backup role. He can't get that after 4 years of college?
Yeah, if we were talking about lottery pick money, you would have a point, but if you are hoping you can make a roster as a backup than there is zero reason to leave early.
Maybe he should start speang French.

Not true, if you're playing D league or more importantly over seas, these are prime earning years. If you only have let's say an 8 year window to earn and you spend two more in college, if you make 200-300k overseas, that's a huge difference.

Not true, if you're playing D league or more importantly over seas, these are prime earning years. If you only have let's say an 8 year window to earn and you spend two more in college, if you make 200-300k overseas, that's a huge difference.
That's a good point, but I disagree with the 8 year thing, there is no limit, guys play a lot longer than that. Yeah, there is a window for prime years, but that doesn't mean you can't continue to make good money overseas for much longer than that, unless I'm missing something.

This has to be the reason why Cal hasn't went hard for Young or any other guard. Because he must know Briscoe will return.

Here is something for all on this board to try and accomplish...when a poster starts a thread like this one currently about our guard position being better next year....just respond to it with your take and leave your personal opinions toward the OP out of it....just try that one freaking time...might make this board less juevenile....Thanks
why would you say we're better next year when you know jack squat about it. this is the most athletic guard tandom we've ever had. of course you'd say this. :joy:

UK fans on this board tend to overrate our players. Poythress was a prime example...great guy, great Wildcat, but just didn't have NBA level skills. You could say the same for Lamb, Darkari, and Orton, Teague...etc. Briscoe is a mid 2nd round pick at best. He's not particularly fast, isn't a true point, and while his shooting has improved, he isn't particularly adept there either. He's a solid D1 level player....but there are plenty of similar players out there.

UK fans on this board tend to overrate our players. Poythress was a prime example...great guy, great Wildcat, but just didn't have NBA level skills. You could say the same for Lamb, Darkari, and Orton, Teague...etc. Briscoe is a mid 2nd round pick at best. He's not particularly fast, isn't a true point, and while his shooting has improved, he isn't particularly adept there either. He's a solid D1 level player....but there are plenty of similar players out there.

Agree with everything you said. Also think a big component of it is that a lot of UK fans simply don't watch the NBA on a daily basis, and don't understand or have a full appreciation of just how good the level of competition is.

Briscoe's not an NBA player. I'd be stunned if he ever played a meaningful minute in an NBA game.

So a week ago, Briscoe was being praised and talked about being a first rounder. Now after a couple bad games he's awful again and has no place in the NBA. It's a long season and I think he's gone after the year. He'll likely be a 2nd rounder but I always thought that. Sure, if he plays like he did the past couple games the rest of the year he won't get drafted. But if he plays like he did a week ago the rest of the year, he'll get drafted easily and have his chance.

Let it play out and see how the season goes. You can't make decisions on any player in January and his future but I don't get the Briscoe hate on here.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
2 of the guys you listed are not guards.
However, I agree with what you're saying, but Bledsoe and Booker are above the rim athletes that can shoot and are actual NBA players.

Johnson had no business leaving, he's a below the rim player, a big at that, and he is in the D league, where he will probably stay.
I'm not sure on Orton, but again, he's a big. Teague is a d League guy too. He further proves my point and he's another one that should never have jumped.

My point remains, when talking about guards, they are a dime a dozen an IB is not an athletic freak. I just don't ever see him actually playing in the league.

And my point is nothing you will ever say will make these players stay if they want to go.

He's improved his percentage from the FT and the 3 point line. He's gone. Life with Cal. Maybe the latter will bring us one more title before he's gone. Or maybe not. Despite their loss to the western wildcats I think UCLA widens the gap this year.

So a week ago, Briscoe was being praised and talked about being a first rounder. Now after a couple bad games he's awful again and has no place in the NBA. It's a long season and I think he's gone after the year. He'll likely be a 2nd rounder but I always thought that. Sure, if he plays like he did the past couple games the rest of the year he won't get drafted. But if he plays like he did a week ago the rest of the year, he'll get drafted easily and have his chance.

Let it play out and see how the season goes. You can't make decisions on any player in January and his future but I don't get the Briscoe hate on here.

I think briscoe will get his shot in the league as a pg. 200-300 k is not much, a guy like that needs a degree and a long term plan. If he goes to the league or over sees with no long term plan that includes a degree he will be taking a big risk. Play the 4 yrs, get the degree, then roll the dice. Worst case he has a career like Darius miller and is hired after that for a nice life bc he prepared himself. The value of 300k after taxes is nothing compared to the costs of living til you're 80

Plus with him shooting better next year he may shot around 37% from 3. That is all you can ask for. He'll be key for our run next yr.

You can make a LOT more than 200-300k playing overseas these days. Briscoe will be just fine.

Plus with him shooting better next year he may shot around 37% from 3. That is all you can ask for. He'll be key for our run next yr.
He is shooting better than that now. But he can improve how quickly he gets his shot off. He can improve being considered a three point or peremeter shooting weapon. Be able to hit 3 or 4 a game instead of 1 sometimes 2. He becomes that and forces defenses to guard him tight with his ability to get to the rim and the line. If he comes back show his PG skills even more. Hit 40percent from three and do it in volume. Improve his ft percent to about 80percent. I can see him drafted in the first round of the 18 draft. I really think based on his improvement season to season. That he can do that especially in a weak 2018 draft if he came back. Just don't think he will. He will get a shot. And will get invited to the combine this year. If he gets told he is second round he is gone most likely

And my point is nothing you will ever say will make these players stay if they want to go.
I never said that my opinion(s) would influence anyone, especially the players.
I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to jump when you aren't a first rounder. It's gotten out of hand.

I think briscoe will get his shot in the league as a pg. 200-300 k is not much, a guy like that needs a degree and a long term plan. If he goes to the league or over sees with no long term plan that includes a degree he will be taking a big risk. Play the 4 yrs, get the degree, then roll the dice. Worst case he has a career like Darius miller and is hired after that for a nice life bc he prepared himself. The value of 300k after taxes is nothing compared to the costs of living til you're 80
You think Briscoe will make it to the NBA? As in the National Basketball Association…… in the United States?

Briscoe has a lot going for him in skill and strength. Very good ball handler that can finish well with both hands and use body position. There are a few things that hurt him: he is an average shooter and is not overly athletic, and is not a true PG. I think he goes undrafted or late. I think he could make good money playing overseas and would guess that is where he ends up.

I would absolutely love to have him back for a junior year but I would be very surprised if he came back.

I never said that my opinion(s) would influence anyone, especially the players.
I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to jump when you aren't a first rounder. It's gotten out of hand.

It's a generation of we want it now, it is their decision.

It is early in the year still yet, my take...... Briscoe probably needs to come back unless he wants to go 2nd round or later. His game HAS improved since last year, his shot is better and thank Jesus his free throw shooting has gone up from 47-48% to 72% so far. His two point fg shooting percentage hasn't really moved that much comparatively (48 last year to 52 this), but you have to take into consideration he is taking and making longer 2's this year. His 3 pt shooting has went from 13% to 36%. He could need another year to work on decision making and his jump shot if he really wants to break into the first round. Every mock draft across the board has him no where under 40. Only 1 has him under top 50. They can be off, but usually not that much.

But it is not always when you go but what you do when you get there, Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick that is going to go top 5 QB minimum. But that first check is huge since is often the only contract many players see, and the average NBA career is less then 5 years. Also Tom Brady is the exception not the rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
Briscoe is a great college player. He can do everything very well. But I do not see him becoming much in the NBA. Hope I'm wrong. And I've been wrong before about it but that is how I see it.

I remember when you said our guards this year could not be possibly better than Ulis and Murray.

I won't pile on to people saying you're dumber than a box of rocks.
I will admit that I didn't really expect our guards to be better this year, but I think they are now. Hard to judge till you see them play together. Briscoe is better this year as well.

This thread is almost complete to excellent postsers butters and umm. Worlds will collide! As for briscoe, have a few more games like the last one, and he will have no choice but to come back.

Briscoe WILL likely get drafted. 1st round? Probably not, but not out of the question with a strong finish and really good workouts. 2nd round, very likely. Briscoe is a lot like Andrew Harrison, except: he is a couple inches shorter, is even a better finisher around the rim, and is a much better defender with better lateral quickness. Briscoe will be a journeyman PG.

But Briscoe WILL definitely be leaving after this season. Why?
1) he doesn't want to be a student, he wants to be a pro
2) in the NBA's eyes, the longer you are in college the worse you are, unless there was some deficiency in your game that you improved greatly since last season. It's not just, but it is how it works. I think they value the unknown, and the longer you play, the less unknown there is about your game & how much you can improve.
3) he has improved his shooting, as he needed to. Is he a great shooter? No, I doubt he will ever be, but he is an adequate shooter now. Is there any part of his game that he likely can improve significantly by staying? NO!!!

So not only will he leave, but because of the above, he should probably leave.

This thread is almost complete to excellent postsers butters and umm. Worlds will collide! As for briscoe, have a few more games like the last one, and he will have no choice but to come back.

Please tell me what exactly is wrong with this thread???

Please tell me what exactly is wrong with this thread???
Nothing I am enjoying it. In fact, I agree with you on briscoe. I took your side and feel he isn't ready yet and may have to return for his sophomore year. I still have no clue why you feel he hates school or where that came from.

Nothing I am enjoying it. In fact, I agree with you on briscoe. I took your side and feel he isn't ready yet and may have to return for his sophomore year. I still have no clue why you feel he hates school or where that came from.

Wall..i have explained this...he said anything is better than school he hates it...loved camp Cal cuz he would rather do anything then be in school

Good college player. Not an NBA fan, rarely watch, but when I do I notice almost everyone can shoot it or has some other outstanding skill. IB is a good all-around player but I don't see a single skill that is NBA level. He can't get to the rim against athletes which seems to be his strength now ( See IU last year as example.) Don't expect him to come back, but best of luck to him. Hope he leaves with a ring; at least a trip to the FF. Certainly a key player for the Cats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT