ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to discuss. Who our new coach will be next season

interesting comment, although meaningless even if true, in the comments of Aaron Torres video on who UK could get to replace Calipari

YYO26AM.png
I’m gonna go with…Cal telling a joke in jest

Vogel would take the UK job.

The pressure he's facing in the NBA is not far off what he would face at UK. Plus, we play half the games at a 25% pay increase as well.

He's a UK guy.

He'd probably bring in Rondo, retain Ulis, and bring a few of his own guys with him.

It would be a homerun hire.

The pressure he's facing in the NBA is not far off what he would face at UK. Plus, we play half the games at a 25% pay increase as well.

He's a UK guy.

He'd probably bring in Rondo, retain Ulis, and bring a few of his own guys with him.

He just signed a 5 year $31 million contract

He's a UK guy.

I’m all for Vogel as the 2nd choice after Hurley. Pitino disciple he gets some good assistants ex KY guys maybe Woods Pelphry Pagett. A name mentioned but not much is Mark Pope doing a darn good job at BYU.

I’m all for Vogel as the 2nd choice after Hurley. Pitino disciple he gets some good assistants ex KY guys maybe Woods Pelphry Pagett. A name mentioned but not much is Mark Pope doing a darn good job at BYU.
Does UK have a stipulation that all non-student coaches have to be college graduates ?? I seem to recall many years ago that Issel could not be considered because he was not a graduate. Of course, my memory could be way off !!

• Wow
Reactions: TOMCATS1990
There are 4 coaches that would be slam dunk hires

1. - Scott Drew, won a national championship at lowly Baylor. Imagine with all the UK program has to offer what he could do here. Plus he would probably bring Top 5 recruit VJ Edgecombe along with him.

2.- Dan Hurley, won a national championship at UConn might win another one this year. UK could double his salary

3. - Jay Wright, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. Has nothing but nice things to say about UK. Might be totally thru with coaching but if he's getting the urge to coach again. No better place to do it than Kentucky

4. - Billy Donovan, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. If he's getting tired of the NBA & want's to get back into college coaching with his background at UK. This might be the time for him to come here.

If we can keep our recruiting class together & 5 or 6 players from this years team like Edwards who might realize that he needs another at UK, plus Sheppard, Thiero, Burks & either one of our 7' footers. Then add in a big time transfer shooter at the shooting guard position. Either one of these 4 coaches could very likely lead that team to the national championship next season.
I hear the Athletics Department would be interested in talking to Jai Lucas.

Dig up Adolph Rupp and get his DNA, do the same for Pat Summit, make a test tube baby called. By the time that baby grows, Then you have the new coach.

There are 4 coaches that would be slam dunk hires

1. - Scott Drew, won a national championship at lowly Baylor. Imagine with all the UK program has to offer what he could do here. Plus he would probably bring Top 5 recruit VJ Edgecombe along with him.

2.- Dan Hurley, won a national championship at UConn might win another one this year. UK could double his salary

3. - Jay Wright, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. Has nothing but nice things to say about UK. Might be totally thru with coaching but if he's getting the urge to coach again. No better place to do it than Kentucky

4. - Billy Donovan, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. If he's getting tired of the NBA & want's to get back into college coaching with his background at UK. This might be the time for him to come here.

If we can keep our recruiting class together & 5 or 6 players from this years team like Edwards who might realize that he needs another at UK, plus Sheppard, Thiero, Burks & either one of our 7' footers. Then add in a big time transfer shooter at the shooting guard position. Either one of these 4 coaches could very likely lead that team to the national championship next season.
Would rather have mark pope over any of those that could come

1. Not good enough
2. Never leaving
3. Retired for a reason
4. Never, ever happening

Call Pearl or Oats.
So drew isn't good enough but Pearl is? Haha what?

List of UK candidates according to Rupp Rafters
1. Adolph Rupp
2. John Wooden
3. Coach K
4. Bob knight
5. Dean Smith
6. Roy Williams

Give me Pearl. Surprisingly the most down to earth coach I’ve met not named Tubby. And he’s pure fire on the sidelines. He would recruit well and play fun basketball. I’ve yet to see one of his teams fail to play hard and he has the personality to rally the fan base.
Damn it. In in! Pearl needs to be the call. But only as a stop gap. Maybe 3 to 5 years.

I have been thinking of a list of coaches. I know we can't get them all, but some have to be asked anyway.
I think we would be doing ourselves a disservice if we don't seek out the very best.

So again, call them,

B. Stevens, J. Wright, B. Donovan, D. Hurley

Those I think we could land, and do well.

R. Pitino (if he isn't ineligible because of age), S. Miller, B. Pearl, N. Oats, T. Lloyd, Vogal

Some to keep an eye on,

Beard (I don't know much about his teams), M. Pope.

Possibly a young NBA guy?

I am not a fan of S. Drew, or Holtman. I hope they don't get consideration. And to be clear, I think Barnhard
should be fired, and not be part of the coaching decision.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
All I know is Mitch can’t make the next hire because if he does it will be BCG part 2. We definitely don’t need that after these last 6 years!

Donovan- I may be wrong but I don't think Donovan's loyalty to Pitino will let him come to UK without Rick's blessing....which would never happen.

Hurley- I'm in the minority but I really think Hurley has caught lightning in a bottle the last couple of seasons. He has 5 losing seasons in his 14 year career and 9 double digit loss seasons.

Wright- Under the current culture of NIL, transfer portal, etc I just don't see Jay coming out of retirement unless the itch is just too great and he seems to be a guy that is content right now.

Drew- Probably by all indications the one Barnhart will target and he may do well here but he doesn't excite me as our first option.

Oats- He should do well here as he has been able to recruit and compete at a football school. In 6 appearances his teams have never advanced past the Sweet 16 which is concerning. I personally have concerns over the way he handled the Brandon Miller situation that I would want answers to if I were Barnhart.

Pearl- There is no doubt he can coach but he has struggled to win the big games in the tournament. In his 20 year D1 coaching career he has 1 Final Four appearance which will not cut it at UK. Oh and he is also a slimeball.

Beard- No doubts that he can coach. He even has Ole Miss winning games but he also come with the domestic dispute baggage.

I guess my point is the list is full of guys who are just a pipe dream, guys with baggage or guys who it's unknown how they could perform at a school like UK without getting eaten alive.

Biggest thing is DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET MITCH MAKE THE HIRE B HIMSELF.

Honestly, he should be fired with Cal for the contract he gave to Cal and Stoops.

You go for the big guys and make them turn down $8-$10 million. Stevens, Jay Wright, Hurley, Donovan (hate to ask a third time but he is good), I think Vogel is in this group too.

After that you go for established college coaches. Lloyd, Few, Drew. This range ends the search IMO

If you go this far, you get to the good coaches with question marks. Oats, Pearl, Beard. All 3 would jump at a chance to rewrite their stories here.

Another option is get an older coach like Pitino, Pearl, Few and let them know it's a 5 year contract max and we will be looking for their successor. Someone young who can grow under them and turn in to a long term UK coach.

That being said, everything I have read, heard, and seen. Scott Drew will be the first and last call.

Lamont Paris, Todd Golden, Will Wade, Jeff Capel (never been at a good program but young and had an E8). Younger coaches that are hungry and we might be able to afford after Cal bends the university over. My choice of more established is either Oates or Beard. Hurley isn’t coming.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

He's a UK guy.

The Vogel thing has got to stop. Some in the fan base wants to get rid of Cal because of recent lack of success, but then want to replace him with Vogel. Since 2014, Vogel has done the following:

2015 - missed playoffs
2016 - lost in first round
2017 - missed playoffs
2018 - missed playoffs
2019 - didn't coach
2020 - won the NBA title in the bubble
2021 - lost in first round
2022 - missed playoffs
2023 - didn't coach
2024 - 29-21 with one of the most talented teams in the NBA

What about any of that, added to the fact he's never coached at the college level in his 24 years as a coach, screams "homerun hire"? Remove the fact he was a student here 30 years ago. What about him excites you?

Lamont Paris, Todd Golden, Will Wade, Jeff Capel (never been at a good program but young and had an E8). Younger coaches that are hungry and we might be able to afford after Cal bends the university over. My choice of more established is either Oates or Beard. Hurley isn’t coming.
If it is Will Wade or Jeff Capel I will drive to Lexington to put the for sale sign in Mitch's yard myself.

I'm afraid Cal will still be our coach next year. I don't think the powers that be have the balls to get rid of Cal.

I'll take Cal till the end of his contract over having Scott Drew which is who Mitch will supposedly definitely hire because they are both FCA guys. I'm just not a scott drew fan, i remember plenty of his teams under performing. He has been to only 3 or 4 elite 8s in like 20 years. Mitch just should be the one to pick the next coach.
First call should be the big names... and Chris Beard should definitely be given a chance.

Mitch will not pick the next coach by himself. I think there it will be by a committee much like it was when Calipari was hired. JMO
I always heard if it wasn't for Mike Pratt we wouldn't have gotten a good hire with Calipari. And Calipari was a good hire at that time when he was actually a better coach... those first 5 to 8ish years were great. But Mitch wouldn't have hired Cal if it wasn't for Mike Pratt, who RIP is gone now. I can't remember who Mitch wanted but I remember thinking thank god for Mike Pratt.

Reactions: westerncat
One coach I haven’t seen anyone mention, who has a very impressive resume is Grant Mccassland at Texas Tech

Depends on who boosters want. Boosters will be ones buying out Cals contract they will have at least equal say to Mitch or they won't buy out..

Donovan is on everyone list as likely #1 or Stevens. Stevens is never leaving a high profile cush job making tons. Donovan has done it all on college level. He's not coming as UK is a top 3 toughest basketbsll coaching job pro or college.

Dan Hurley - does anyone seriously think Hurley would leave UCONN for what ? He is coaching a blue blood (UCONN most titles last 30 years at least). - think he wants a slight bump in stature an pay for a giant bump in pressure and visibility. No.

Beard - is person to hire. A great coach that is hungrier than anyone.

This is Barney and this is Cal . So I expect Cal here another year no matter what. As sad as that is .

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
Donovan- I may be wrong but I don't think Donovan's loyalty to Pitino will let him come to UK without Rick's blessing....which would never happen.

Hurley- I'm in the minority but I really think Hurley has caught lightning in a bottle the last couple of seasons. He has 5 losing seasons in his 14 year career and 9 double digit loss seasons.

Wright- Under the current culture of NIL, transfer portal, etc I just don't see Jay coming out of retirement unless the itch is just too great and he seems to be a guy that is content right now.

Drew- Probably by all indications the one Barnhart will target and he may do well here but he doesn't excite me as our first option.

Oats- He should do well here as he has been able to recruit and compete at a football school. In 6 appearances his teams have never advanced past the Sweet 16 which is concerning. I personally have concerns over the way he handled the Brandon Miller situation that I would want answers to if I were Barnhart.

Pearl- There is no doubt he can coach but he has struggled to win the big games in the tournament. In his 20 year D1 coaching career he has 1 Final Four appearance which will not cut it at UK. Oh and he is also a slimeball.

Beard- No doubts that he can coach. He even has Ole Miss winning games but he also come with the domestic dispute baggage.

I guess my point is the list is full of guys who are just a pipe dream, guys with baggage or guys who it's unknown how they could perform at a school like UK without getting eaten alive.
Nice post, CB. I don't take it that you're really advocating for or opposed to any of the names you mentioned, just pointing out things to consider. Good for discussion.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
Nice post, CB. I don't take it that you're really advocating for or opposed to any of the names you mentioned, just pointing out things to consider. Good for discussion.
You are correct and I am glad that the fate of the UK program doesn't ride on my decision. There are several on that list that could potentially be great hires or potential disasters.

Reactions: G-PIP
I always heard if it wasn't for Mike Pratt we wouldn't have gotten a good hire with Calipari. And Calipari was a good hire at that time when he was actually a better coach... those first 5 to 8ish years were great. But Mitch wouldn't have hired Cal if it wasn't for Mike Pratt, who RIP is gone now. I can't remember who Mitch wanted but I remember thinking thank god for Mike Pratt.
The first time around, he was not considered (when we hired BCG). It was Lee Todd who was hesitant on Cal the second time around. Mitch and Pratt worked together in getting Cal and Lee Todd together in a hotel room 2 days after they fired BCG so that Lee Todd could ask the questions he wanted. He was announced as the HC the following day.

If UK hires a coach for $5 million, which would make them a top 5 paid coach in college basketball, it will only cost UK $2.7 million more per year with the buyout and new coach salary through 2029 than what they currently pay Cal. UK can afford that.
The way things are going, UK can't afford not to.

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT