ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to discuss. Who our new coach will be next season

I bet Indiana hires Drew when Woodson gets fired after this season.

Beard should be higher on the list than Scott drew.

Charges were dropped by court of law... if we want to be conspiracy theorist I'm all for it and about it but the world doesn't agree with conspiracy and the true factual narrative was, charges were dropped in beards dispute , in the court of law... so good in my book to hire him.

Matt jones always says Mitch won't hire beard or oats. ...and if those two don't get looks than mitch shouldn't be the guy. Maybe Matt is making stuff up or just guessing, he also says no doubt about it basically, Scott Drew would be hired "I'd bet money" ... I really hope Matt is just talking to talk for radio.

I've never treated a woman bad and I'm totally against it, when I heard the original allegations, I said F beard too, but court of law dismissed and dropped everything sooo... maybe things were exaggerated or not right, I don't know, I haven't looked into it. Ole miss hired him, just saying. Hell!! mitch hired an obvious DRUNK...come on !!!!
I won't get into the facts of the charges, etc. but there is no world where a major basketball program would hire Beard this close to the allegations. Ole Miss can take a flier on him because basketball goes totally under the radar there. If he succeeds, a bigger program will hire him the further away from the incident. It's how it always works with guys who have any sort of baggage, whether that be personal or professional (Pitino, Pearl, Sampson, Wade, etc.).

As for Matt Jones notion that Mitch would stay away from guys like Oats, Beard and Pearl, I've always thought that to be the case too. Mitch has had a complete battle with Cal during his tenure here. He doesn't want that again. He sees Scott Drew out there, who had possibly the greatest turn around of a program in college basketball history, including a national championship. Partner that with both of them being men of faith and Scott Drew basically being a polar opposite of Cal and you have your answer. I 100% believe that if Mitch were to have to hire a coach after this year, he would target Drew.

I won't get into the facts of the charges, etc. but there is no world where a major basketball program would hire Beard this close to the allegations. Ole Miss can take a flier on him because basketball goes totally under the radar there. If he succeeds, a bigger program will hire him the further away from the incident. It's how it always works with guys who have any sort of baggage, whether that be personal or professional (Pitino, Pearl, Sampson, Wade, etc.).

As for Matt Jones notion that Mitch would stay away from guys like Oats, Beard and Pearl, I've always thought that to be the case too. Mitch has had a complete battle with Cal during his tenure here. He doesn't want that again. He sees Scott Drew out there, who had possibly the greatest turn around of a program in college basketball history, including a national championship. Partner that with both of them being men of faith and Scott Drew basically being a polar opposite of Cal and you have your answer. I 100% believe that if Mitch were to have to hire a coach after this year, he would target Drew.

I stick by my stand of No on Scott drew and hope cal and mitch make it to 2028 and both retire... Sounds like mitch would hire Scott Drew for the wrong reasons in my book from what you said, and what you say sounds alot like what MaTt jones says.

So in 2028 is that long enough time since the Texas event to hire Beard ?

I stick by my stand of No on Scott drew and hope cal and mitch make it to 2028 and both retire... Sounds like mitch would hire Scott Drew for the wrong reasons in my book from what you said, and what you say sounds alot like what MaTt jones says.

So in 2028 is that long enough time since the Texas event to hire Beard
I think it depends on who the AD is. That’s when Mitch’s contract expires, and I think he will retire, so that would definitely benefit the situation. I’m not sure a school like UK, UNC and Kansas would ever hire someone with that allegation in their history, but that would be 5 seasons at Ole Miss,.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
Outside the obvious ones that will say no (Stevens, Donovan), the first two calls need to be Hurley and Lloyd at Arizona. Make them turn you down. Oats, Drew, Pope are tier 3. One name I will call out that gets so little hype, but is a rock solid coach is Greg McDermott. To keep a place like Creighton at perineal top 20-25 team is pretty impressive.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
Outside the obvious ones that will say no (Stevens, Donovan), the first two calls need to be Hurley and Lloyd at Arizona. Make them turn you down. Oats, Drew, Pope are tier 3. One name I will call out that gets so little hype, but is a rock solid coach is Greg McDermott. To keep a place like Creighton at perineal top 20-25 team is pretty impressive.
You might want to change that word to "perennial." The word you used has a very...ah...specific meaning.

It's not just the big name coaches, Donovan, Wright, Drew, Hurley, Stevens that would be far better than Calipari. There are at least a half dozen coaches in the SEC that with the resources that the Kentucky basketball program has to offer would do a better job than Calipari......

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
At this point I would be ok with an up and coming mid major coach. One that would make defensive adjustments when needed

Can Cal and everyone else but Tyler Ulis get "sick" for a home game and have Tyler Ulis coach an entire game? I bet we would look 100% different, lose and probably run some actual plays.

How crazy would that be if Tyler Ulis coached against Bama on Saturday and we win by 20 lmao

I'd say no to McDermott. The reason is that when he last had a P5 job at Iowa State it was a disaster. Granted, that was a long time ago and coaches, like all people, can learn from mistakes and get better, but that's kind of a red flag to me.

I don't mind Scott Drew. We could do far worse.

But I do think Donovan might in play this time. His tenure in the NBA is winding down and I don't see him lasting much longer in Chicago. However, he never had to deal with NIL or the crazy transfer portal so he may not want to get back to that recruiting grind, which has become an even bigger issue. I still give him a call and make him turn me down, even if it would be the third time we've made that call. Third time is a charm sometimes!

Reactions: Chief Paducah
I'd say no to McDermott. The reason is that when he last had a P5 job at Iowa State it was a disaster. Granted, that was a long time ago and coaches, like all people, can learn from mistakes and get better, but that's kind of a red flag to me.

But I do think Donovan might in play this time. His tenure in the NBA is winding down and I don't see him lasting much longer in Chicago. However, he never had to deal with NIL or the crazy transfer portal so he may not want to get back to that recruiting grind, which has become an even bigger issue. I still give him a call and make him turn me down, even if it would be the third time we've made that call. Third time is a charm sometimes!
I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see OSU make a run at McDermott. Timing may be tricky with a new AD coming in, but who knows....

First of all, Mitch Barnhart will NEVER fire Calipari. It may need to be done but, MB does not have the stones to do it. And at this level, firings rarely occur unless you have a BCG situation where a massive parents/player revolt is looming. "Negotiated buyout" or "retirement" are the terms everyone needs to remember. That is how it will happen. And it won't happen this year. Maybe after the '24-'25 season when we struggle to make the tournament.

As far as a replacement, everything I've heard points to Scott Drew being the primary target. I don't have any problem with him whatsoever. Personally think he would be an excellent hire and is my favorite. But, the fanbase is so polarized by Calipari, I think it would be a tough road for Drew to negotiate. No one will recruit as well as Calipari has but, as we have seen, that guarantees nothing. Drew's personality is non-existent compared to Calipari. So, any spotlight that would shine on the Cats under Drew would be because of the product on the floor. And that's a good thing IMO.

I think you make Jay Wright and Donovan say no. So what if they do? What’s the loss in that?

If the first call is Scott Drew, you aren’t looking high enough.
Why not give an up and comer the opportunity to prove himself? If he can handle it, maybe we get a guy that stays twenty years and wins five championships? If he doesn’t show something in two or three years, back to the drawing board.

Reactions: TriCountyCat

P5 is strictly a college football term as the Big East is 100% a power conference in basketball. Don't need to look any further than UConn and Nova to see that. I'm not saying to hire the guy, but winning in the Big East is just as difficult as winning in other power conferences.

I’d take a look at Grant McCasland current coach at Texas Tech. Coached under Drew for awhile. Has had success everywhere he’s been. 46 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT