ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to discuss. Who our new coach will be next season

It will be Scott Drew 150%
Scott Drew is a mayonnaise hire. I remember Barnhart insinuating, when hiring Stoops, that he was the best we could expect to get because no one wants to coach here. For Barnhart, Stoops had the right last name and easy to defend the hire but more importantly, it was easy for Barnhart. The same thing will apply for the BB coaching decision if Barnhart is involved. He needs to go before Calipari.

Last edited:
I didn't used to be in the "Get rid of Cal" camp, wasn't a sunshine pumper, just that UK couldn't necessarily get anyone comparable. But after Saturday I'm ready to light the campfire. This is the best team he's had in 5 years and he looks like Tom Crean on the sidelines. It's just the same ol stuff...like reading the back of a shampoo bottle. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I'm in agreement, it's time for him to move on. As long as the AD/Committee don't Gillispie it up, I'm ok with whomever.

One coach I haven’t seen anyone mention, who has a very impressive resume is Grant Mccassland at Texas Tech
Posted this last week

My first call would be to Frank Vogel.

Known as an X & O guy who has a reputation as a great teacher of the game. Assistants have stated that he encouraged their input and had good relationships with players. Has overachieved with less talented teams and led a talented team to the championship. These are observations from people that have worked with him in the NBA. Pitino stated that he had a great basketball mind and put in the work needed. Believe he is worth a 5 minute phone call.

My other out of the box candidates would be Bob Richey at Furman, Matt Langal at Colgate, and Grant McCasland at Texas Tech. However, any potential candidate would have to answer the following except #5.

1. Why do you want this job and what makes you think you are qualified to be the head coach at UK?

2. What is your recruiting philosophy? Is there anything you want to hear/see from a high school or portal recruit before you offer him a scholarship?

3. What traits do you look for in assistant coaches wanting to work under you?

4. The pressure of this job is enormous with the several million coaches, I mean fans, that are hanging on your every word as the coach. How would you prepare yourself for this challenge 365 days a year?

5. You only have NBA experience. How does this help you at UK? What are some of the challenges in moving to a college head coaching job?

part of me wishes it wasn’t Drew but I say more than likely it will be him. I just feel like he’s a poor man’s Calipari
exactly

I'll just take Scott Drew's last ten years,
He missed the tourney twice.
He made it past the elite 8 only once which is the time they won it all.
... soooooo yea I'd rather have somebody else or keep Cal til 2028 contract end.

If he is fired , why would he be picking his successor exactly ?

I’m about as likely to be hired as the next UK coach as Cal is to be fired. Best we can hope for is he leaves voluntarily following our almost guaranteed early NCAA exit - if we even make the field.

I think a lot of you are setting yourselves up for extreme disappointment at season’s end that will have nothing to do with a basketball game. The brass at UK wont fire Cal and he’s not leaving all that money on the table because fans are mad at him.

Reactions: CGblue
Dan Hurley should be the first call in my opinion.

Matt Jones really believes and said he'd beat money the next coach is Scott Drew. I think Scott Drew is in the top 5 list, probably #4.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I’m about as likely to be hired as the next UK coach as Cal is to be fired. Best we can hope for is he leaves voluntarily following our almost guaranteed early NCAA exit - if we even make the field.

I think a lot of you are setting yourselves up for extreme disappointment at season’s end that will have nothing to do with a basketball game. The brass at UK wont fire Cal and he’s not leaving all that money on the table because fans are mad at him.
I used to be in that line of thinking. I no longer am. I believe that if he has another first weekend exit, we could see the last of Cal. The buyout isn't nearly as bad as it sounds when you break it down and this place will be no fun for Cal anymore.

I never claimed he was getting fired, wrong guy. I don’t believe Barney will…..yet. I do think it’ll happen sooner than the contract end date. What I don’t get is people saying he will be fired and then turn around saying he will pick an incompetent coach to follow him to look better. If he is fired and bought out, no way in heck they let him have a say in anything.

I am intrigued at Pearl. I love hid fiery attitude and teams playing style. Perfect stop gap hire IMO. He also shows love to UK every time we play. He would jump on this job quickly.
Bruce Pearl would be awesome here. If he stayed here 10 years I believe he would win us multiple national championships. BUT, BUT.....He might also bury the UK basketball program in NCAA probation.

I don't know what the protocol or process is when hiring the next coach. A lot of folks on here are worried about who Barnhart might choose, but will there be a search committee that will decide who is on the short list of candidates to bring in for interviews and have a voice on who will be offered the position? Does Barnhart and the President have final say? It seems that the AD at Texas A&M had chosen Stoops before being overridden by the board.

I don't know what the protocol or process is when hiring the next coach. A lot of folks on here are worried about who Barnhart might choose, but will there be a search committee that will decide who is on the short list of candidates to bring in for interviews and have a voice on who will be offered the position? Does Barnhart and the President have final say? It seems that the AD at Texas A&M had chosen Stoops before being overridden by the board.
Mitch's last 2 big hires...Cal and Stoops....both had search committees, or at least others brought in to help with the process (Pratt and Couch). I see no reason why those searches moving forward won't be the same. But Mitch does 100% have the final say with the approval from the president.

rick injury GIF

I am intrigued at Pearl. I love hid fiery attitude and teams playing style. Perfect stop gap hire IMO. He also shows love to UK every time we play. He would jump on this job quickly.
UK would be his third hc job in the sec. 😅

Reactions: Fox2monk
I’m sure I’m forgetting someone obvious, but other than Pitino and Tubby what coaches have been hired at another program AFTER winning a title somewhere else?

Reactions: RunninRichie
Beard should be higher on the list than Scott drew.

Charges were dropped by court of law... if we want to be conspiracy theorist I'm all for it and about it but the world doesn't agree with conspiracy and the true factual narrative was, charges were dropped in beards dispute , in the court of law... so good in my book to hire him.

Matt jones always says Mitch won't hire beard or oats. ...and if those two don't get looks than mitch shouldn't be the guy. Maybe Matt is making stuff up or just guessing, he also says no doubt about it basically, Scott Drew would be hired "I'd bet money" ... I really hope Matt is just talking to talk for radio.

I've never treated a woman bad and I'm totally against it, when I heard the original allegations, I said F beard too, but court of law dismissed and dropped everything sooo... maybe things were exaggerated or not right, I don't know, I haven't looked into it. Ole miss hired him, just saying. Hell!! mitch hired an obvious DRUNK...come on !!!!

Call me crazy, but I wouldn’t be mad about Todd Golden. Young and hungry coach that I think would do well here. He’s still getting experience, but I think he will be elite when it’s all said and done.
I absolutely believe he is a better young coach than Davis at North Carolina or Shyerer at Duke .

Absolutely NO ! I was against Cals lifetime contract at the time too . I am fundamentally against lifetime contracts .
My God, if that happened or (heaven forbid) Cal is somehow extended, then I'm done as a Cat fan. At some point integrity and common sense override supporting a program. Hopefully common sense rules in whatever decision they make.

Reactions: yoshukai
1. Danny Hurley - probably no chance, but have to make the call.
2. Bruce Pearl - I think he would kill it here. He could really rejuvenate the fan base too. He would soak it up big time!
3. Nate Oats
4. Bryce Drew - not a huge fan but probably most likely

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT