ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to discuss. Who our new coach will be next season

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
There are 4 coaches that would be slam dunk hires

1. - Scott Drew, won a national championship at lowly Baylor. Imagine with all the UK program has to offer what he could do here. Plus he would probably bring Top 5 recruit VJ Edgecombe along with him.

2.- Dan Hurley, won a national championship at UConn might win another one this year. UK could double his salary

3. - Jay Wright, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. Has nothing but nice things to say about UK. Might be totally thru with coaching but if he's getting the urge to coach again. No better place to do it than Kentucky

4. - Billy Donovan, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. If he's getting tired of the NBA & want's to get back into college coaching with his background at UK. This might be the time for him to come here.

If we can keep our recruiting class together & 5 or 6 players from this years team like Edwards who might realize that he needs another at UK, plus Sheppard, Thiero, Burks & either one of our 7' footers. Then add in a big time transfer shooter at the shooting guard position. Either one of these 4 coaches could very likely lead that team to the national championship next season.

1. - Scott Drew, won a national championship at lowly Baylor. Imagine with all the UK program has to offer what he could do here. Plus he would probably bring Top 5 recruit VJ Edgecombe along with him.

2.- Dan Hurley, won a national championship at UConn might win another one this year. UK could double his salary

3. - Jay Wright, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. Has nothing but nice things to say about UK. Might be totally thru with coaching but if he's getting the urge to coach again. No better place to do it than Kentucky

4. - Billy Donovan, 4 Final Fours 2 national championships. If he's getting tired of the NBA & want's to get back into college coaching with his background at UK. This might be the time for him to come here.

If we can keep our recruiting class together & 5 or 6 players from this years team like Edwards who might realize that he needs another at UK, plus Sheppard, Thiero, Burks & either one of our 7' footers. Then add in a big time transfer shooter at the shooting guard position. Either one of these 4 coaches could very likely lead that team to the national championship next season.

Only number 1 is realistic.

Donovan n Stevens aren't coming.
Jay Wright would never coach other than at Nova
Vogel just took over at Phoenix

Those are the first calls but they aren't coming.

The one coach we should get is Beard. It's a risk for his personal history but there's not a hungrier coach in America to chsnge his image and he's a really good coach. I just doubt Mitch would hire him unless I was kicking an screaming.

Stevens gets call…..says not leaving the best nba team & I’m in the front office.

Hurley gets the next call…..why would I leave UConn when I’m making another title run so now leaving.

Next call should be to Chris beard, but will be Scott drew per Matt jones. Not who I want but he does have a title, think the job will be too much for him. Jmo.

I want beard, Oates, then pearl in that order.

I'm telling you. Cal will not leave of his own accord unless he gets a say in who comes next. If he takes the ambassador job then no one will come here and work under his BS unless they are related or indebted to him somehow.

The current RI coach Archie Miller is his cousin. Might want to think about him.

My top 3 would be Hurley, Drew and Oats. If Hurley says no the hard part will be deciding between Drew or Oats

Reactions: susan2361
Not sure what peoples fascination is with Donovan. It’s almost stalker like, he turned the job down so many times yet people are still infatuated with him. I didn’t want him the first time around but to still talk about him like that is weird. It’s like the girl that won’t date you yet you still talk about her 10+ years later.

Hurley and Oates, make them say no to a boat load of money. After that if you want a different coach but similar results consider Drew without all the left leaning crap.

Last edited:

Only 1 coach you mentioned has any shot of happening

Drew will be head Coach if Barnhart makes call
I must have missed Pearl & Oats titles

I will add a key ingredient to getting next hire is Reed staying. Reed stays it entices coaches that might not of given much a chance. Not saying Donovan or Stevens would coach here but it might make em think bout it

The first link you do need an email and your name, but the reads are good imo.

It's not just Scott Drew having success. Coaches formerly under him are doing some good things after leaving him.

6f97e4fe-d1c8-400d-b4ab-cb2fa8e79e19_text.gif

we81dO.gif

is-there-anybody-out-there-pellek.gif

Who's paying the $33 million???????

Until UK finds a way to pay the buyout, we are STUCK with Cal. Sad, but that's where we are because of Mitch's INCOMPETENCE!!!!

So, there won't be ANY "List" for at least the next 3 seasons.

SAD
If UK hires a coach for $5 million, which would make them a top 5 paid coach in college basketball, it will only cost UK $2.7 million more per year with the buyout and new coach salary through 2029 than what they currently pay Cal. UK can afford that.

Some people make excuses. Some win their conference.

Low standards. Calipari has won the sec many times and won his conference at Memphis and UMass many times.

Lloyd may come here and do well but he is a risk due to what the other poster mentioned. He underachieves n the ncaa tournament and we don't have enough body of work to know how he will be long term n that regard.

We need a guy that has proven he can win in March. The conference titles will come as a supplement to that.

Low standards. Calipari has won the sec many times in his former life and won his conference at Memphis and UMass many times in hiss former life.

Lloyd may come here and do well but he is a risk due to what the other poster mentioned. He underachieves n the ncaa tournament and we don't have enough body of work to know how he will be long term n that regard.

We need a guy not named Cal that has proven he can win in March even if it is nearing a decade ago. The conference titles will come as a supplement to that.

fify

Drew will be head Coach if Barnhart makes call
I must have missed Pearl & Oats titles
Did you miss Cal’s championship before he got here? Maybe UK could warrant standards like that 30 years ago but not anymore. Things have changed substantially. People still walk around thinking Kentucky has an advantage because of the tradition. Kids don’t care about tradition and even small colleges are willing to drop huge money. College basketball has evolved into a money grab like everything else. Tradition means nothing and Kentucky has lost that advantage sadly. I hate as much as the next guy. It has ruined something I spent most of my life devoting time to.

5. John Vincent Calipari.

He isn't leaving until he destroys the whole program.

If by some miracle he does leave, he will make sure that whoever comes after him is personally hand picked by John Vincent Calipari. Ask JVC who he wants and you will have your answer
I really believe he will totally run off all recruits and current players he can. The program may suffer one year but the right coach will load it up quickly

5. John Vincent Calipari.

He isn't leaving until he destroys the whole program.

If by some miracle he does leave, he will make sure that whoever comes after him is personally hand picked by John Vincent Calipari. Ask JVC who he wants and you will have your answer.
He should forever , on this board , by the 1000s , be forever known as John Benjamin Calipari .. the biggest Basketball Bennie the commonwealth has ever seen , worse than Billie Clyde , drunk on his own success larger than Eddie Sutton , and a bigger loser than the guy with UL tattoo .. John Benjamin Calipari !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT