ADVERTISEMENT

Too Early SEC Preview and Preseason Rankings

BigKari

Senior
Apr 15, 2014
• Alabama potentially returns everyone but Estrada and brings in a top 10 class featuring 5 star Forward Derrion Reed. And of course Oats has already landed a name out of the portal.

• Tennessee is losing Knecht, JJJ, and Vescovi and not bringing in much so far to replace them. Barnes might be looking to hit the portal heavy after having success with Knecht. Or maybe he’s retiring?

• Florida lose 2 of their top 3 in Pullin and Samuel, but return everyone else. They’re bringing in a 3 star guard and the giant 7’6 project Olivier Rioux from IMG. Golden will definitely be in the portal.

• Auburn can get everyone back except Jaylin Williams. They are bringing in a couple talented, Auburn type pieces, though I wonder how/if Jakhi Howard fits on an experienced roster. I think they’ll have 2-3 defections after their meltdown.

• Arkansas is not one to count out. I think they lose just about everyone and probably will have a couple transfer, but most of those guys were 5th year players. No idea if Brazile and Davis would choose to stick around for a reset, but I’d be surprised to see either of them in an Arkansas uniform next year. Muss has a huge mess to clean up, but has a couple 4 stars coming in. He needs to hit the portal with a smaller net and a more discerning eye this off-season.

• Mississippi State loses Smith, Jeffries, and Bell. They are bringing in some pieces that may have a hard time in an experienced and expanded SEC

• Georgia: As far as I can tell, everyone on their roster is eligible to return. They’ll definitely lose some to the portal. But they bring in 5 star Asa Newell. Mike White should focus on bringing in one impact piece in the portal and Georgia could be sneaky dangerous

• LSU: Will lose a starter and a couple rotation players. Unless they manage a big portal splash, they could be in for it. Two 4 stars coming in. I don’t think McMahon is long for it. Will help him to have a Calipari around to beat up on though.

• Missouri: Dennis Gates is bringing in an arguably top 5 class to replace the 5th year clunkers he had. Already getting busy in the portal too, landing Jacob Crews, a name that had a thread on here recently. Watch out for Mizzou in a few years. They won’t go winless in the SEC next year, I’ll say that much.

• Vanderbilt: Big question mark with coaching change. They didn’t have much returning anyway. Lawrence and Lubin the only two returnees that can hang in the SEC.

• South Carolina: They lose BJ Mack and a couple graduate reserve pieces. A couple development pieces in their recruiting class, they need a couple hoopers in the portal, but they could be right back humming. There’s work to do to keep from slipping in the new SEC though.

• Oklahoma: They lose a few graduate pieces but bring back the core of a once top 10 team that faltered and missed the tournament. They have their work cut out for them in the new SEC.

• Ole Miss: A couple nice development pieces, with only Sharp and Flanigan having their eligibility expire. Beard needs to make something happen in the portal or it’ll be tough again.

• Texas A&M: They technically lose 2 starters since Leveque starts, but Radford also finally graduates out. Not huge splashes in recruiting, but if Buzz feels they can slot in he might could/should steer clear of the portal beyond finding guard experience to directly replace Radford. Dangerous.

• Texas: Top 10 class featuring Tre Johnson at Guard. They lose a lot to graduation but if they can retain Hunter & Mitchell and get the required pieces in the portal, they’re gonna be looking to make a splash in their SEC debut.

• Kentucky: Without returning at least one of DJ or Sheppard, things are off to a rough start. Will lose a ton as always and will have to rely on the portal and the NIL fund to land a couple big splash pieces or it’s going to be rough. If Cal is still around and promises were made to this class, forget about it.

1 Alabama

2 Texas A&M

3 Florida

4 Auburn

5 Tennessee

6 Texas

7 Georgia

8 Kentucky

9 South Carolina

10 Arkansas

11 Oklahoma

12 Missouri

13 Ole Miss

14 Mississippi State

15 LSU

16 Vanderbilt

It’s going to be a deep, tough, experienced and brutal league next season. It was really tough to rank 7-14 and I just don’t see a ton of separation there. Interchange those the way you please, and convince me Kentucky can’t be in the back half (11-14) of that group. You’ll have to know something I don’t.

Say it be Vandy and Ky battling it out for last place want have to worry about losing the first game in ncaa tournament next doubt we get in

will wait to predict the team and see who we actually have, how many preseason guys will have surgeries and be out 1/3 to 1/2 the year and so forth. I hear Z has a hang nail and if he returns will probably be out till SEC play due to the issues with a hang nail. Cal does not want to rush him back. blah blah blah.

Alabama will be tough. I think they may start the year in the top 5.

Tennessee will bring back an experienced team as Zeigler, Gainey, Mashack, and Aidoo will all be seniors.

Florida's Aberdeen looked really good toward the end of the year and I think Condon will be much better. Still a borderline tourney team for now.

Auburn will be really good like Bama. Right now, they will have 9 seniors on the team including all 5 starters.

Arkansas can actually get both Mark and Battle back, along with Brazile and Mitchell. I think they will be way better. Musselman needs a true PG to go with these guys.

Miss St has 3 starters back again and Moore and Bell, who both started a lot. They'll be a 9-11 seed again.

Georgia will be better too. Probably same as MSU. 5 fifth year seniors on the roster right now.

LSU brings their entire team back. They may be an NIT team again though. I don't think there is a lot of improvement to be had, but they'll be a tough out again.

South Carolina lost Johnson, Mack, and Cooper. I don't see them doing anything next year.

Ole Miss will have 5 senior back, four starters, only losing Flanigan.

A&M gets Taylor and Coleman back and Obaseki was much improved by the end of the year. Tough team also with 4 senior starters.

Texas gets Shedrick back too so they really only need a PF and some bench help. Will be a 5 seed probably.

Oklahoma like you said has all 5 starters back potentially. All upperclassmen so they will fit right in with everyone, but us.

Ranking-wise, I'd go

(5) Top 5 seeds for NCAA:
Bama > Aub > UK > Tenn > Tex

(5) Then back half NCAAs:
UF > A&M > MSU > UGA > Ark

(3) NIT:
LSU > Okla > Ole Miss

(3) Bottom Feeders:
USC > Mizz > Vandy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT