ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t know what to make of the center situation

Jan 27, 2023
For the last 10-12 games, the center that’s most important to have on the floor has been any one of the three of them. They each have some tools that the others don’t. Ugo’s defense was desperately needed for a moment, but now he looks overmatched. Z’s all around game and bigger body has been important at times. For Bradshaw, I think his attitude is his greatest asset.

These are all good weapons to have if… you as the coach read the situation right. At the same time, I think it’s likely to be a huge liability not knowing what you’re going to get from a position going into every game. Having each of those things to choose from is a nice, but is it better to have one guy that you can count on or better to be able to pick from one of three depending on who you are playing?

For the last 10-12 games, the center that’s most important to have on the floor has been any one of the three of them. They each have some tools that the others don’t. Ugo’s defense was desperately needed for a moment, but now he looks overmatched. Z’s all around game and bigger body has been important at times. For Bradshaw, I think his attitude is his greatest asset.

These are all good weapons to have if… you as the coach read the situation right. At the same time, I think it’s likely to be a huge liability not knowing what you’re going to get from a position going into every game. Having each of those things to choose from is a nice, but is it better to have one guy that you can count on or better to be able to pick from one of three depending on who you are playing?
I think Z is the way to go but if Bradshaw starts bringing 15/5 then I’m happy AF.

Play Z, Cal see’s it too as he said “he makes us different, he just does” when Jay Wright interviewed him after the game. He’s got to get the lions share going forward because his improvement from game to game has been noticeable.

But with having 3 guys that can get it going at any time you have to play it by ear each game.

Play Z and Bradshaw. Play Ugo if foul trouble. If all are playing bad you go small. Thiero at 5 and Edwards at 4.
Just Play the 5 that's playing the best the last 10 minutes. It will change from game to game.
With one exception. If Rob plays terrible first half you stick with him anyway in the 2nd half.

I think Z is the way to go but if Bradshaw starts bringing 15/5 then I’m happy AF.
Probably the most difficult situation/position to figure out relative to UK basketball in recent times. Z is clearly the best offensive player, Ugo is the better defender and Bradshaw is.....well Bradshaw(can't tell what he is or isn't)

Against finesse teams we can play Z and Bradshaw and vs physical teams Ugo is a better choice. We have 15 fouls to give there, I can't remember(and that goes back a ways) when we have had this kind of depth at the 5

With Z on the floor the offense flows better bc the court is spread and the lane is more open for drives. Given this team's ability to shoot 3's and attack the basket I want to force the opponent's bigs away from the basket.
They'll be times we need Onyenso for longer stretches but it'll be situational and depend on the opponent.

It’s simple. Z has emerged as número uno. He’s already great offensively but now his defense is getting better. Between ugo Mitchell and Bradshaw it’s just a lot of minutes to use fouls and going with the best player on a game by game basis. AB isn’t going to become a major impact player this season and ugo has higher defensive upside so how ever the game plays out that’s who you go to. A 210 point game is not going to play to ugo strength. AB on the other hand runs well and has more energy. A 70 point pound fest well you have to play ugo. That’s not bradhaws strength defense.

Reactions: Haggin_Hall_1983
The problem is the Cats don’t have a center. Those guys are small forwards or stretch forwards. Or really a power forward for that matter. So it will change game to game. It’s impossible to know of Z, Bradshaw, and Ugo who will step up. None of them have anywhere near the physicality that’s needed.

Play Z. DNP most games for Ugo. Mitchell some against small teams. Bradshaw situationally. Basically hot hand approach. I don't want anyone playing the 4 except Adou and Justin.
This is the correct answer….we play our best with small ball and a stretch 5. I am however starting to worry about Mitchell. His offensive game has completely abandoned him which isn’t great for someone who is a below average rebounder and defender. But I’d still give Mitchell the back-up Center minutes.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Probably the most difficult situation/position to figure out relative to UK basketball in recent times. Z is clearly the best offensive player, Ugo is the better defender and Bradshaw is.....well Bradshaw(can't tell what he is or isn't)

Against finesse teams we can play Z and Bradshaw and vs physical teams Ugo is a better choice. We have 15 fouls to give there, I can't remember(and that goes back a ways) when we have had this kind of depth at the 5
Ugo is not the better physical defender any longer. 2-3 weeks ago sure but that ship has sailed. We won’t play a more physical interior than we did at miss. St. and Z was much better than Ugo.

Zvonimir Ivisic in games this season where he plays 15 minutes or more: 11.3 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4 BPG

"Z makes us different, he just does" - John Calipari
Cal also made a good point in the post game presser that Z hadn't played basketball in 6 months before finally getting on the court here

Pretty simple for me: Z>>Bradshaw>>>Ugo.

If that changes in a given in-game situation then, yes, ride the hot hand that game. But, right now, that's the order I trust. Give Z the majority of the 5 minutes.

If Z can become any type of a defensive presence then we are going places.

Currently he is a total defensive Z-row. Can he lift his arms above his waist on D?

• Angry
Reactions: lpkilla7
Z does just make the team different.

Ugo is just not a good defender. He blocks shots. He gives nothing else. He’s not a good pick and roll guy because he can’t catch the ball. He’s not a good rebounder because he can’t catch the ball.

He doesn’t help on offense at all. In fact, he’s a hindrance because they can help off of him.

And he’s just slow.

Bradshaw is making it a decision. Ugo has made the decision easy for Cal.

Getting away from SEC officials will change things too.

Neither Bradshaw or Z is a wrong choice now. That’s a good thing.

In my opinion, it varies from game to game. For the most part, it needs to be Z starting and then whoever is playing better that day between AB and Ugo getting the left over mins.

Play Z and Bradshaw. Play Ugo if foul trouble. If all are playing bad you go small. Thiero at 5 and Edwards at 4.
Just Play the 5 that's playing the best the last 10 minutes. It will change from game to game.
With one exception. If Rob plays terrible first half you stick with him anyway in the 2nd half.
This. Is the answer, in my opinion. 👍

Reactions: kennyskywalker34
Ugo tries but it is just like he has concrete on his feet, just slow to react and has trouble handling the ball the game was too fast for him today..

Ugo tries but it is just like he has concrete on his feet, just slow to react and has trouble handling the ball the game was too fast for him today..
There are some plays where he's right there and he doesn't even try to block it.

Reactions: jrm693
Letter Alphabet GIF by NeighborlyNotary®

Reactions: lcp3557CATS

Jay Wright says that Z is the key to how far we can go in the tourney. I'll go along with that as well.

This is the correct answer….we play our best with small ball and a stretch 5. I am however starting to worry about Mitchell. His offensive game has completely abandoned him which isn’t great for someone who is a below average rebounder and defender. But I’d still give Mitchell the back-up Center minutes.
Mitchell may or may not be a below average rebounder. Depends on what you consider "average". He is our leading rebounder on the team at 7.5 per game. He just has to get healthy and knock off the rust. He is a proven 5th year senior. He will get back in his grove. He had missed quite a bit of time.

I've said it ALL year. Z and Bradshaw need to play. They can BOTH contribute on offense. Onyenso can be available if there is foul trouble and in very specific matchups, but the way this team is playing, you need Z and Bradshaw because both of them can handle the ball, pass and shoot. The impact they have on what it allows the guards to do alone is worth just playing them.

Z, in my opinion, has always been the key to giving this team what they need to make a deep run. One thing I didn’t like from Z today is that he didn’t even look for a deep attempt. It’s just one game so will see how next one goes but to me it appeared that he was playing as if cal instructed him to not even bother looking for the deep shot. Cal cutting that from z’s game would definitely be a cal thing to do. He is only 1 out of his last 6 but still 6-13 overall.

Reactions: seccats04
Onyenso really shouldn't be playing at all at this point unless we're up 30 or everyone else is in dire foul trouble.

He's not even close to good enough.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Z, in my opinion, has always been the key to giving this team what they need to make a deep run. One thing I didn’t like from Z today is that he didn’t even look for a deep attempt. It’s just one game so will see how next one goes but to me it appeared that he was playing as if cal instructed him to not even bother looking for the deep shot. Cal cutting that from z’s game would definitely be a cal thing to do. He is only 1 out of his last 6 but still 6-13 overall.

Teams have started to switch on him when he drifts to the 3-line. He's been killing them when he rolls to the hoop. I'm guessing he will get another open three or two soon. And he will take it.

Heck, my biggest issue is that the team should be rolling Z for at least one three every game. Keep them honest.

Reactions: sjjones
I'd give anything to see Z back here next year. Maybe Bradshaw goes pro. UGO transfers and Z comes back knowing he'll have all the minutes he can handle.
I’d love to have 2 of them return for sure. Z is my first choice and the other 2 is kinda a wash but I believe Bradshaw has a higher ceiling. Just needs strength and reps on the court. Ugo would be fine as well but I’m not sure if he will be ready to guard the pick and roll and not fall for every pump fake or not:

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Bradshaw was asked in the post-game. What changed the game, even with him having a good game, he said Zs block. Rob talked about Z,beveryone is talking Z and the dude has never surpassed 21 mins in his 6 games of use.

I have been telling for Z since the beginning and know now he is the key to 9.

Look it's still a gamble but the only thing that gets us over the hump is a....
Sci Fi Lol GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

I can already see it in one shinning moment.😀

Reactions: BigTyrone
Z gets a bad wrap on D unjustly. He blocks shots and bothers many others. He also doesn’t often just get taken one on one and scored on.

I’m not seeing that either often other two are better.
I think it’s because he was absolutely terrible defensively early on. He has improved significantly but that first impressy seems to have stuck with a lot of folks.

I think it’s because he was absolutely terrible defensively early on. He has improved significantly but that first impressy seems to have stuck with a lot of folks.
People forget Z has only played 6 games, 12 minutes or more. What did Ugo look like early on?

Against the Zags, 19 mins 3pts and 2 rebs. Against LSU 32 mins, 2pts, 7 rebs and 3 TOs.

I got u...

Z

Rick And Morty Cartoon GIF

Agreed. Cal instructing Z to not shoot from deep is like Stoops taking the run game away from Levis. Just dumb.

I'd take Oscar over all three of them. Period.
We need a tough ass physical enforcer and rebounder.
Oscar would score and rebound over all three of them over and over and over. Dude's not even close to Oscar have been taking our bigs to school all year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT