ADVERTISEMENT

I hope this is more Cal talking out of his rear....but dang...this is delusional

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
Calipari wants Aaron Bradshaw to play the 3

(Calipari) said I’m gonna have to guard guards because I’m gonna be a guard, I’m gonna be the 3, 4,” Bradshaw added. “I’m gonna have to guard fast people, strong people. I have to be ready for that, so I might as well start now.”

I don't believe much that comes out of Cal's mouth so maybe it's nothing. But if this is remotely how he feels...at this point...this has turned UK into a true developmental team. Bradshaw has as much shooting/handling skills as Willie Cauley Stein did out of HS (which ain't much). This will lose eons of games and serve no purpose to win....only to somewhat develop Bradshaw for some mythical NBA career he does not currently possess.

You do know that teams use picks to try to switch who the players are guarding on defense so sometimes the big is guarding a guard...

That is what he is referring to as far as trying to guard a smaller person which he is capable of doing...

Geez...

You do know that teams use picks to try to switch who the players are guarding on defense so sometimes the big is guarding a guard...

That is what he is referring to as far as trying to guard a smaller person which he is capable of doing...

Geez...
You are correct. But I'm not so sure Bradshaw heard it that way. Given past comments and him literally saying, "I'm gonna be a guard" leads me to believe Cal told him he's gonna play 3, a lot. That's what these big kids think now. They think they are all KD, and also seems to be what Cal pushes to get them drafted.

Unless we get some good returning players and two top portal transfers it will be "We are young" and Dykes during the season games saying you won't want to play Kentucky at the end of the year (and then yes you do because we crap out relying too much on Freshman).

Sometimes a big comes out and switches on a smaller guard or forward , which disrupts and makes it extremely hard to see over and pass around . Downside is smaller , quicker guard drives around and gets by the big . He’s probably talking about the latter scenario. Cauley-Stein was the king of guarding smaller guys ..
Most 22 yr olds are more powerful than 18-19 , so that’s an adjustment all the way around

Defense is not the issue, having a mobile big for pnr is great. Offense is a big problem. Cal's obvious strategy this year is to have a driving team that gets to the rim with long guys that can clean up. Limited outside shooting and limited post game. Let's see how that works.

There has never been a big guy capable of playing the 3/4(face up stretch 4) sign with Cal that was allowed to play that way. Boogie, KAT, AD all capable of playing at least a stretch 4 had their asses planted in the post. Cal will also not play the best 5 players together unless he really only has 7 guys. He will play who he has promised what. Hell he ruined the greatest season in our history doing just that.

Cal has just about run our program in the ground allowing handlers and players dictate what they are going to play, minutes etc. Couple with how this handcuffs him coaching these kids and how he sucks the life and confidence out of others this will continue to be a downward spiral. If he thinks the groans are loud now wait until we look like dog crap next year and Reed is planted on the end of the bench. It will ruin any shot that the Perry kid comes and people are already just about fed up with his roster management to begin with.

He wont fill or develop a roster properly bc he makes promises to kids he thinks are getting drafted (“Im changing lives”). We wont sign a guy (from the portal) who threatens any of these kids promises. So we will be what we have been the last 4 years. Short on depth, talent, kids pouting and counting the days until they can declare- even if they aren’t ready.

The man has lost all control in my opinion. Now that these kids get here and get paid even the ones that are riding the pine could give two shits about UK or what he says. We need a fresh start, mostly from a cultural standpoint- that yes you can come here get paid a shit ton, win and develop.

The smart move would be to play him at the 5 and use his perimeter skills to pull the other team’s big man away from the basket and open up driving lanes for Wagner, Edwards, and Dillingham. Put a typical 5 man on him and he has an advantage with his speed, handles, and shooting.

On defense, use him as a rim protector. Yes, he needs to be able to guard guards because Cal switches everything.

It’s not that difficult to play players where they can be most efficient, instead of where they “think”’ they need to play to get to the next level.

Defense is not the issue, having a mobile big for pnr is great. Offense is a big problem. Cal's obvious strategy this year is to have a driving team that gets to the rim with long guys that can clean up. Limited outside shooting and limited post game. Let's see how that works.
I just don't know anymore. Sometimes, on Def, I had no clue what they were doing. Just totally lost. Didn't seem to have any idea about PnR or switching. When to, when not to. Found that odd. Cal's teams usually play better def.

Reactions: qwesley

Geez...
" I’m gonna be the 3, 4,” That is what Bradshaw said...now I agree Cal talks out of his ass all day long. But Cal has a history of....

- Playing Livingston at the SF when it was fairly rationale he needed to split more at the 3 and 4...not solely a 3.

- Wenyen messed around and played too much SF early when he was a PF from the get.

- Keion Brooks played 3 early in his career...and while his body was not ready to be a PF...his skill set was never a 3.....even early in his career.

For those that argue this is a super class....Bradshaw is easily the lesser player of them all (included Shepp). He can move his feet, he's long, he can block some shots....but he is skinny as a rail. He has no ball handling. He can hit a 3pt....but I'd love to see his overall shooting percentage. He is no stretch 4 by any means.

I know the roster is in flux (more Cal stupidity)...but tell me a lineup with Bradshaw at he 3 makes any sense. I can't really imagine him at the 4 being a good idea to be honest. The thought of Ware/Ugo at the 5 and Bradshaw at the 4.....yeesh.

I just don't know anymore. Sometimes, on Def, I had no clue what they were doing. Just totally lost. Didn't seem to have any idea about PnR or switching. When to, when not to. Found that odd. Cal's teams usually play better def.
Really inconsistent toughness and effort. Cal's philosophy has been around switching most everything and funneling drivers toward shotblockers. I am not the biggest fan of that but his teams have been built to do that pretty well for the most part. Spread teams that can pul our bigs out have always given him trouble.

Yeah you never see 7 footers on the perimeter in the NBA or overseas.

JFC, should Cal have told we’re parking his ass under the basket on both ends?
If you have a 7 footer like Jokic, Sabonis, Giannis , etc...overseas skill sets that can pass, shoot and dribble....sure then play them with some perimeter.

But Bradshaw has no skill set to play on the perimeter besides he's not a plodding big man. He can't dribble/shoot or pass to make a difference...so why waste your time recruiting him if you want to play him that way,.

Really inconsistent toughness and effort. Cal's philosophy has been around switching most everything and funneling drivers toward shotblockers. I am not the biggest fan of that but his teams have been built to do that pretty well for the most part. Spread teams that can pul our bigs out have always given him trouble.
I think that defensive philosophy made more sense 5 years ago. The game has been shifting more towards offenses that shoot 3s. So if your whole defense is focused on forcing drives into a 7 footer but the opposing offense is working the outside shot and running plays for those shots, it makes your defense relatively useless.

If you have a 7 footer like Jokic, Sabonis, Giannis , etc...overseas skill sets that can pass, shoot and dribble....sure then play them with some perimeter.

But Bradshaw has no skill set to play on the perimeter besides he's not a plodding big man. He can't dribble/shoot or pass to make a difference...so why waste your time recruiting him if you want to play him that way,.

Are you suggesting he’s a bust? Because the idea that he’s bereft of any discernible basketball skill belies everything written about him. It’s also silly to think that someone with prodigious talent can’t add or improve basketball skills on the off season.

Are you suggesting he’s a bust? Because the idea that he’s bereft of any discernible basketball skill belies everything written about him. It’s also silly to think that someone with prodigious talent can’t add or improve basketball skills on the off season.

Damn Celtic, you been reading the Book of Mormon or something. That’s some impressive wordage there.

I think that defensive philosophy made more sense 5 years ago. The game has been shifting more towards offenses that shoot 3s. So if your whole defense is focused on forcing drives into a 7 footer but the opposing offense is working the outside shot and running plays for those shots, it makes your defense relatively useless.
I think this fact combined with the fact that Cal hasn't had a rim protector since Oscar came to town and the fact that Bradshaw is a decent shot blocker tells us Cal probably wants him to protect the rim. If he's allowing Bradshaw to float out to the perimeter it means Ugonna is probably on the court at Center and I can already hear the heads exploding with how unpopular that lineup would be considering its lack of spacing.

Remember last Summer when Oscar was coming back to show his versatility and shooting ability? He attempted 2, 3s last year and parked his behind in the paint just like the previous year and just like the big before him and the big before him and the big before him. Remember when Cal had bigs who could actually shoot like KAT? Townes attempted 8, 3s that year.

Bradshaw will end up being a very skilled, versatile big who will play in the paint. Its all talk and for the life of me I can't understand why Bradshaw believed him.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Calipari is in love with positionless basketball. It's a winning system. Five guys on the court at all times that can switch on every screen, clog the lane and shoot 17 footers. I mean, this is how all teams in college and the NBA are playing now, right?
We're getting ready to go on a run!
🙄

You are correct. But I'm not so sure Bradshaw heard it that way. Given past comments and him literally saying, "I'm gonna be a guard" leads me to believe Cal told him he's gonna play 3, a lot. That's what these big kids think now. They think they are all KD, and also seems to be what Cal pushes to get them drafted.
Tell him and play him at the 3-4, if you don’t you won’t get the good kids, and lately we haven’t. Wonder if D. Askew is transferring to a JC this year to start?

Tell him and play him at the 3-4, if you don’t you won’t get the good kids, and lately we haven’t. Wonder if D. Askew is transferring to a JC this year to start?
They're only great if they're played in their natural position; playing them out of position lessens their talent and oftentimes puts them at a disadvantage

Geez...

Yeah thought this was obvious.

Some of this talk is coaches playing into what kids think about themselves. Coaches know they won’t be able to do it even thought they think they can.

I think he said "you're going to have to guard guards" because he has players switch on every screen.
Not that he really plans to play Bradshaw as a guard.
(where is the big eye roll emoji)

Reactions: Oboro3
" I’m gonna be the 3, 4,” That is what Bradshaw said...now I agree Cal talks out of his ass all day long. But Cal has a history of....

- Playing Livingston at the SF when it was fairly rationale he needed to split more at the 3 and 4...not solely a 3.

- Wenyen messed around and played too much SF early when he was a PF from the get.

- Keion Brooks played 3 early in his career...and while his body was not ready to be a PF...his skill set was never a 3.....even early in his career.

For those that argue this is a super class....Bradshaw is easily the lesser player of them all (included Shepp). He can move his feet, he's long, he can block some shots....but he is skinny as a rail. He has no ball handling. He can hit a 3pt....but I'd love to see his overall shooting percentage. He is no stretch 4 by any means.

I know the roster is in flux (more Cal stupidity)...but tell me a lineup with Bradshaw at he 3 makes any sense. I can't really imagine him at the 4 being a good idea to be honest. The thought of Ware/Ugo at the 5 and Bradshaw at the 4.....yeesh.
Xavier Booker, Kwame Evans Jr., MacKenzie Mgbako, and Sean Stewart all said Bradshaw impressed them the most so far at McDonald's AA activities.

He's obviously continued to improve if he's getting acknowledgment from his peers. I for one hope Cal will let him play more freely bc he's much more effective when he's not camped out on the block. Bradshaw's versatility will be a welcome asset on the defensive end above all else.

Reactions: JonathanW
I'm not gonna believe anything I hear from a recruit about something a coach said on a visit. Cal is a schmoozer, no doubt. He's trying to get the kid to come on down. And it may well be true that he will eventually play the 3 in the NBA. But is he ready to play the 3 today? Not from what I've seen of him. He doesn't have the handle for it, first of all. If he can't drive and slash, that makes him a spot shooter and that's not likely to work. I'm not sure. He's wire thin and I'm not sure about his strength. I don't see him being able to bang bodies with SEC power forwards. Regardless, he's got to get to campus and try to add some muscle to his frame and everything may change.

Xavier Booker, Kwame Evans Jr., MacKenzie Mgbako, and Sean Stewart all said Bradshaw impressed them the most so far at McDonald's AA activities.

He's obviously continued to improve if he's getting acknowledgment from his peers. I for one hope Cal will let him play more freely bc he's much more effective when he's not camped out on the block. Bradshaw's versatility will be a welcome asset on the defensive end above all else.
No one needs to be camped out on the blocks.

Spread the floor, attack the rim, drive, draw, and dish, kick out for 3’s (not 17 footers), throw alley oops. Basically we need to do what other teams easily do to us.

Modernize your offense, Cal.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
No sense in our players driving trying to get fouled. Can’t make a damn free throw. And our stupid effing coach doesn’t make them practice them.

No...not at all. But like Nick Richards, he is going to need time and that isn't a bust at all. Secondly, he's never going to be a 3.....stupid to even imagine it. He's a 5/4 all the way and until his skill level improves...he's more of a 5 IMO

This is so depressing. We already suck. Let’s just start the transition now and try to have a Final Four contender by 2027/2028. I’m willing to man up for the next 4-5 seasons. Something has to change around here. We are burnt toast under the Italiano.

Our coach is fat and ugly...he is a meany, stupid butt...whine, whine, whine...

Man, some of you sound like adolescents...

There has never been a big guy capable of playing the 3/4(face up stretch 4) sign with Cal that was allowed to play that way. Boogie, KAT, AD all capable of playing at least a stretch 4 had their asses planted in the post. Cal will also not play the best 5 players together unless he really only has 7 guys. He will play who he has promised what. Hell he ruined the greatest season in our history doing just that.

Cal's starting players at the "4":

Patterson
Jones
Jones
Wiltjer
Randle
KAT*
Willis
Willis
Washington
Washington
Montgomery
Sarr*
Brooks
Toppin

*Played alongside a more "5-like" offensive player.

At least half you can say they were used as faceup players without a quibble. The worst players at the role have all been in the last 4 seasons or so, coincidentally...

Calipari wants Aaron Bradshaw to play the 3

(Calipari) said I’m gonna have to guard guards because I’m gonna be a guard, I’m gonna be the 3, 4,” Bradshaw added. “I’m gonna have to guard fast people, strong people. I have to be ready for that, so I might as well start now.”

I don't believe much that comes out of Cal's mouth so maybe it's nothing. But if this is remotely how he feels...at this point...this has turned UK into a true developmental team. Bradshaw has as much shooting/handling skills as Willie Cauley Stein did out of HS (which ain't much). This will lose eons of games and serve no purpose to win....only to somewhat develop Bradshaw for some mythical NBA career he does not currently possess.
knowing Cal he promised the kid everything and the moon, and this will cost the Cats games because I am sorry he is not a 3, maybe you can get by with playing two twin towers down low but nothing shows me this kid can go out and guard a guard 20ft out.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I swear some of you will use anything a player says or what anyone says for that matter to start another Cal bashing thread. Some people have way tooooo much time on their hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT