ADVERTISEMENT

I have to give Louisville’s coach credit

Taking over a ragtag squad from last year—and getting them to 5-3 in the ACC 7-5 this year was pretty darn remarkable.

I’m no U of L fan, but he got his players to buy in. He’ll have them cranking in the next few years.

Agree but their wins are misleading. Credit to him for winning the games on the schedule, but my god was the conference awful. Talk about great timing in terms of a rebuild. In that conference if you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can win 4 or 5 games.

I’m a give credit where it’s due guy even if it’s going to our rival. But acting like a baby over the “L’s down” stuff he lost me. I hope he has nightmares about all the big bad Kentucky players being meanies with their terrible hand gestures.

Taking over a ragtag squad from last year—and getting them to 5-3 in the ACC 7-5 this year was pretty darn remarkable.

I’m no U of L fan, but he got his players to buy in. He’ll have them cranking in the next few years.
Yea he told it like it was after the game, just cried a little to much about L's down. Petrino would have never said they got pushed around like Satterfield did, at least he told the truth about that.

Reactions: UKat1
I am not giving him any credit for being an ass. His comments on L's down was pathetic and shows a poor loser. After you get your butt kicked, congratulate your opponent and go back to work to improve your team. Don't cry about L's down when you started the most idiotic symbol in the history of college sports.

What did he expect?

I'll give him credit for getting them to consistently play hard. That, along with the ACC teams taking a huge step back were the biggest factors in their turnaround. I don't think anyone envisioned the league being that far down.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I can give credit to the coaches, I think they did a good job and agree they will only get better under Satterfield. But I wouldn’t p..s on their fanbase if they were on fire.

Xs &Os are only so good without jimmys &joes and it looks like we getting them

Satterfield is a good coach and a surprisingly good "get" for UL considering the state of their athletics presently due to bad coaching hires and crime & punishment issues with the NCAA.

I think he will be good for UL in the ACC. They were putrid to start the season and improved their play to achieve a fair W/L record in the P5 ACC (granted--one of the weaker P5 conferences).

He has quite a ways to go to catch UK in talent (and he may not get there), but he has one advantage as he slowly improves his roster. He will likely have fairly healthy teams when we play them each year because the Cards won't face the same level of punishment and injury attrition that we will experience.

GBB!

Reactions: KYExtemper
Give him credit for winning some games in an awful conference. UL isn’t all that good and they showed it.

Reading the board before the season, many had pegged UL at 4/5 wins so I guess credit to UL for doing better than that, but they didn’t do anything impressive this year.

It's honestly hard to tell if the guy is a really good coach or not...and UL needs him to be really good.

Kentucky humiliated them in the 2nd half Saturday. For that reason, it's genuinely difficult to know if they really made that much improvement or simply had the benefit of being in a very weak conference.

13 points? High octane offense? Give up 517 yards on the ground?

It's too early to draw a conclusion...one thing is for sure though - UL needs to get themselves a defense and they need to pull some talent into that program...these are not overnight fixes. Recruiting what little talent the state of Kentucky produces each year for D1 programs just got that much more difficult for them. Where else do they turn?

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Props to OP and others in this thread for recognizing what was overall a pretty damn good and totally unexpected job by UofL this year. Even with a pretty weak ACC. I think their pre-season projection was about 4 wins. FWIW, I personally guessed 5 absolute tops.

I think this is Satterfield's first experience with a true rivalry, an in-state one at that. He better get over the "L's down" thing right now.

Peace

Yea he told it like it was after the game, just cried a little to much about L's down. Petrino would have never said they got pushed around like Satterfield did, at least he told the truth about that.
actually from what I read (I could be wrong) the players said it first and even more complimentary. He was asked about the players saying that was the best OLine they faced; as good as Clemson and how they said the UK player were as physical as any team they faced... then he was like, well yeah they were

UofL has a prolific offense, they can put up points in a hurry on terrible defenses.
Because of this, they are able to out score many teams.
However, if you have a good defense, UofL's offense doesnt look so good, and they struggle to outscore their opponents.

Look at who UofL will play in their bowl game. If the team has a top 30 defense, put your money on that team. If their opponents defense is not in the top 50, put your money on UofL to win.

BP actually left Satterwhite with some good players - BP happened to have checked out as soon as Lamar left. It appears that as a general rule, if you have a decent team, you can do pretty good in the ACC. NC ST, Boston College, Virginia, Wake Forest and Syracuse are all below mediocre most years.

I haven't gone back and looked at the replay but somebody said Atwell threw up an L after his TD. If so, bravo to our guys for returning the favor and then some.

Watching the UL-UK game Saturday gave me a flashback to 2013. UL 2019 looked a lot like Stoops first team at UK. A few talented players scattered around on both sides of the ball, but absolutely no depth, and zero on both lines.

We humbled them on both lines of scrimmage. I remember what it felt like to KNOW the opponent was going to run the ball right at you and there was not a darn thing you can do to stop it. Such a helpless and hopeless feeling if that is your team being man handled at the line of scrimmage.

Scott Satterfield better thank God he is not in the SEC. It has taken CMS 5 years to recruit and develop sufficient athletes and depth at OL and DL to even be competitive in the SEC.

That recruiting and development was on full display Saturday against UL. Satterfield should be able to build both lines to be competitive in the ACc rather quickly since Clemson is the only school in the ACC that has SEC level talent on both lines of scrimmage.

It really doesn't matter how many skill players you recruit if you can't stop the run and you can't protect the QB or run the ball.

He needs to stop the whole ridiculous L-down diversion BS and build himself a D. Both lines are woeful, get busy recruiting.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I bought in to the Louisville hype. I watched him be very creative and make great second half adjustments and truly I thought this was going to be a wale of a game. Had it not rained I think they would have been able to move the ball a little better.. but I am not sure as much as we were in their backfield if they would have had enough time to pass. We did to them what Miami did , bully them on the line. I think we showed superiority and they caved and the result was the beat down that it was!

Agree but their wins are misleading. Credit to him for winning the games on the schedule, but my god was the conference awful. Talk about great timing in terms of a rebuild. In that conference if you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can win 4 or 5 games.
^^^ True the ACC is weak, sans Clemson, however Cards were 0-8 and 2-10 in 2018 under Big Red face !!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Watching the UL-UK game Saturday gave me a flashback to 2013. UL 2019 looked a lot like Stoops first team at UK. A few talented players scattered around on both sides of the ball, but absolutely no depth, and zero on both lines.

We humbled them on both lines of scrimmage. I remember what it felt like to KNOW the opponent was going to run the ball right at you and there was not a darn thing you can do to stop it. Such a helpless and hopeless feeling if that is your team being man handled at the line of scrimmage.

Scott Satterfield better thank God he is not in the SEC. It has taken CMS 5 years to recruit and develop sufficient athletes and depth at OL and DL to even be competitive in the SEC.

That recruiting and development was on full display Saturday against UL. Satterfield should be able to build both lines to be competitive in the ACc rather quickly since Clemson is the only school in the ACC that has SEC level talent on both lines of scrimmage.

It really doesn't matter how many skill players you recruit if you can't stop the run and you can't protect the QB or run the ball.
But I'd dare say that we had nothing like that in 2013. They have some high level skill players and a dang good QB. 1 NFL o-line player.

Remember in 2013...we had Max Smith and Jalen Whitlow....who was our wide receiver that was good that year...Damarco Robinson? Raymond Sanders and True freshman Jojo Kemp in the backfield. Darrian Miller was decent on the line. Z Smith and Bud Dupree and a bunch of trash on defense.

And what's crazy? They had NFL players on both sides of the ball and Stoops held the game to a 27-13 loss.

I think Bobby left them some great skill pieces on offense...but nothing on defense or the lines. But even some of their bad players were Power 5 level...just coached poorly and the lacked depth.

Joker left us with a FCS/MAC level roster. A roster that had to go through the SEC...and that year Stoops started was ROUGH. Bama and Georgia were the 2 best teams in the nation. USCjr. was top 10. Vanderbilt was even ranked. Louisville was top 10.

But I'd dare say that we had nothing like that in 2013. They have some high level skill players and a dang good QB. 1 NFL o-line player.

Remember in 2013...we had Max Smith and Jalen Whitlow....who was our wide receiver that was good that year...Damarco Robinson? Raymond Sanders and True freshman Jojo Kemp in the backfield. Darrian Miller was decent on the line. Z Smith and Bud Dupree and a bunch of trash on defense.

And what's crazy? They had NFL players on both sides of the ball and Stoops held the game to a 27-13 loss.

I think Bobby left them some great skill pieces on offense...but nothing on defense or the lines. But even some of their bad players were Power 5 level...just coached poorly and the lacked depth.

Joker left us with a FCS/MAC level roster. A roster that had to go through the SEC...and that year Stoops started was ROUGH. Bama and Georgia were the 2 best teams in the nation. USCjr. was top 10. Vanderbilt was even ranked. Louisville was top 10.

Hoptown you called it man.. you called it!

I totally agree. My point was our dominance on both lines of scrimmage and both sides of the ball against UL reminded me of how SEC teams dominated us on both lines before Stoops built an SEC level OL and DL. UL is light years away from that level right now.

UL's recruiting and lack of it is gonna hit them before things get better. Offensive and defensive lines do not get fixed overnight. Look how long it took Stoops. He will continue to compete with the bottom half of the ACC but he won't compete with the upper or UK for several more years.

I totally agree. My point was our dominance on both lines of scrimmage and both sides of the ball against UL reminded me of how SEC teams dominated us on both lines before Stoops built an SEC level OL and DL. UL is light years away from that level right now.
But in the ACC they don't have to do that to succeed like we did..

They play Weak Forrest, Boston College, Syracuse, NC State, and Virginia every year. If they can just beat those 5 and win 3 non-conference games.....I mean 6-8 wins for them is the bare minimum and can be a lot more depending on their crossover team in the other division.

They won't ever compete with Clemson. Florida State is down and still ahead of them...and once they're right UofL can't compete with them either.

They had a mirage....2012 they didn't play a ranked team all year and beat a Muschamp Florida team. Then in 2013 they ran through the AAC.

Then the Lamar year got them high up again...got them in the playoff hunt. And then like that...they were off the national stage. And it showed that for a program like that to compete for a playoff spot...they have to get lucky and get a Lamar Jackson type combined with a softer schedule. Same as us.

They always thought that they were on some other level than our program...like that Alabama and Clemson look at them with respect...they've had some more accolades in the Big Least while we've been awful...but as you see that they still can't out recruit us even with a Lamar Jackson. They still are a stepping stone for coaches.

That loss Saturday for their unreasonable fans...they just can't compute it so they blame L's down. They think they're supposed to be above us...but now they're seeing that it's not easy to crack the levels of the elite once you start playing power 5 ball.

And they've risen fast. They were a top notch mid-major that rose up and the speed they rose made them think they were elite...they aren't. They don't have the fan base...the tradition....the recruiting base.

They now see how it was hard for us...and how our admin not taking it serious did hinder us. Now that we do take it serious...the talent differential is showing.

Yes they have been a better program the last 25 years...but they were spending Power 5 type money in mid-major conferences. They did have good management...them WVU, Memphis, Cincy, Boise, and others did well.

But UofL's money and smart hires got them to the ACC...but now they're competing with other programs who are spending the same money. Getting a top 30-40ish class in the Big East was amazing...but in the ACC its right around everyone else. Spend money on a big coordinator? Yeah in the Big East that was huge...but everyone in the ACC has that money...even the bad programs.

If you aren't an established power....you have to work for every win and every player. Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, USC...those programs can do awful and still have more talent. Even look at programs like Tennessee who still pull in top 20 classes or a Penn State who went through the worst scandal ever....

And then after that? You have programs like Michigan State, South Carolina, Arkansas, Miami, Mizzou, Arkansas, WVU, Stanford, etc...who all fight to be relevant and have had success...a lot of money and recruit well...but can fall just as easily.

Louisville fans assumed they arrived and the ACC would be a seamless jump...its a lot harder.

^^^ True the ACC is weak, sans Clemson, however Cards were 0-8 and 2-10 in 2018 under Big Red face !!

That’s where my head is at too. UL was god awful last year and it’s not like they upgraded their talent in any significant way this year.

I still remember turning on the Louisville Georgia Tech game last year after seeing the score on the ticker at the bottom of the screen. Georgia Tech has basically 9 offensive possessions that game and scored 8 TDs and 1 FG. Not once did the UL defense stop Georgia Tech’s offense.

That’s the kind of thing you’d expect to see when an FCS school plays teams like Alabama or Clemson. I’ve never seen anything like that in a game featuring two power 5 schools. To get as many wins as UL did this year is a solid accomplishment, no matter how weak folks may think the ACC was.

I think they may have a decent coach, but the question is whether the fan base will actually give him enough time to try to get the talent level up.

The other potential problem they face, at least in terms of the rivalry, is their defensive philosophy. It appears that they want to run a 3-4 defense with smaller, faster players on the line and at the linebacker position. Not sure that approach will cut it against a bigger, stronger offense geared towards a power running game. So even if they get the talent level up, they may still have issues when they play us simply due to how we match up.

You make a good point but I’ll point out that the ACC is terrible this year. Maybe even worse than previous years. The Cards actually lose some key players this year and you’d haft to think they will hit the JC recruiting hard this year trying to plug huge holes. Their best o lineman is declaring for draft and their better defensive players are seniors. My point is they may take another step back next year before he gets some help in there. I would be surprised to see more wins next year.

I said elsewhere that I think it will get worse before it gets better. I am one who thought they would win 3-4 games this year, so credit to Satterthorpe for making the best of what he has.

With that said, I think next year is worse:

-Automatic losses to Clemson, FSU, ND, UK, and Va Tech.
-Likely loss in Charlottesville to UVA
-Wake Forest just doesn't get talent, but they are further along in their system than UL. I would give UL the nod at home next year
-BC will have a new coach. Game is at BC, but not exactly the swamp or Death Valley
-Cuse has a good coach (Babers). They won 10 games last year. Next year is in the dome. This is a toss-up, at best, for UL

I'd say 7-5 is the ceiling next year and 5-7 is more likely. Whoa, how the natives will be restless after a 5-7 or 6-6 type of season and a third straight loss to UK

He did a fine job. But, if you think UL should have been a 2 win team last year, I have some lake front property in the desert I would like to sell you. Seriously. Honestly. It’s a good deal.

I said elsewhere that I think it will get worse before it gets better. I am one who thought they would win 3-4 games this year, so credit to Satterthorpe for making the best of what he has.

With that said, I think next year is worse:

-Automatic losses to Clemson, FSU, ND, UK, and Va Tech.
-Likely loss in Charlottesville to UVA
-Wake Forest just doesn't get talent, but they are further along in their system than UL. I would give UL the nod at home next year
-BC will have a new coach. Game is at BC, but not exactly the swamp or Death Valley
-Cuse has a good coach (Babers). They won 10 games last year. Next year is in the dome. This is a toss-up, at best, for UL

I'd say 7-5 is the ceiling next year and 5-7 is more likely. Whoa, how the natives will be restless after a 5-7 or 6-6 type of season and a third straight loss to UK
going by their schedule...

This year they were blown out by Kentucky, Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami
They took care of business against WKU, NC State and EKU

All of their other wins?
-Boston College, last second field goal backup QB
-Virginia, held on late even gave up an onside kick
-Wake Forrest, Wake scored 28 points late and got robbed of an onside kick
-Syracuse had the ball several times late and couldn't score, I think their QB got hurt late

This year I'll give them credit, they made the plays to win games and won a lot of close tight ones that could've went the other way...but they made the plays.

I think they're in the same spot next year.
UK, ND, Clemson, FSU(pending good coach), & Va Tech will be losses
Murray and WKU will be wins...but WKU has improved by miles this year and that will be tougher

Then it comes down again...@ BC(new coach?), @ UVA, @ Cuse, NC State, Wake Forrest. Need to go 4-1 in those games. And those type of games I could see anywhere from a 5-0 to a 1-4 type result. Those teams are all hit or miss...that's why the ACC is highly variable on results. A team like UofL can rise from last to 2nd and Cuse can be ranked early and then be garbage. They all are kinda the same talent wise...and it depends who gets hot.

Say UofL has a big injury... the coaches have a good scheme against that D and they may not go bowling...or they could beat them all again and FSU could fall apart with a bad coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT