Do you have a college degree?

• Yes

Votes: 331 85.1%
  • No

Votes: 62 15.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you should not go into the Accounting field if you do not want or expect overtime, at least the Public Accounting discipline.
To be fair I also know nothing about the accounting field as a profession, because I hated my accounting classes I had to take and desired to learn nothing about working in it, other than it’s a lot of hours during tax season.

Agreed on the work-life part of your career, and now as a 40 year old family dude it’s priceless.

Coming out of college though my perspective was totally different. I was a 22 year old single dude with no family yet and no ties to anything. I just wanted to get a career in my field and put my nose down and try to work my way up. Doing the shit a lot of people don’t want to do was how I did it. I’d throw down some hours and work when I was a single man with no family! Haha.
That’s the way I was. It was great, I enjoyed it immensely. I don’t have a family (as in wife and kids), but I just got tired of having to always sacrifice my personal life.

Friends who worked reasonable hours would do stuff on weekends or nights, which is when virtually all the college athletics events occur.

“Well sorry buddy, I’ve already worked 40+ hours this week but I got to put in a 12+ hour shift Saturday, work some more Sunday, and then I got to be an adult and do stuff I didn’t have time to do the rest of the week like laundry and grocery shopping. Maybe in a few months from now we can make something work. Oh wait, it’s the summer then. Well is it going to be inside? No? Well I’m guess I’m out because I’m not hanging outside in 90+ degree weather with 70+% humidity. Could you maybe do something in the morning one day, I’m working most nights so nights are off the table generally? Oh wait what am I talking about, we’re working because that’s what most adults do, they work in the morning, what was I thinking?”

Reactions: Gromcat
So the thread says 85% educated.

And around 85% are bashing their long worked accomplishment, calling it useless, and making a case against being college educated.

Sounds like someone here might be fudgin their record a little bit. Just an observation.

One guy had 5 degrees and couldn’t spell the sentence “they ain’t worth shit”.

It’s really why I come here. You don’t get this anywhere else.
There’s a lot of people who go to college and can’t write, especially if they go into a more technical field where writing isn’t really something that is done much. The engineers in the MBA program when I was going thru it were pretty smart guys but couldn’t write for shit.

Reactions: Gromcat
Man it’s all overplayed.

Trades largely aren’t as good as the anti college crowd portrays. College degrees at times aren’t as good as the pro college crowd portrays.

Statistically college graduates earn more, and have a better way of life. That’s just the general nature of it. And if you live in unpopulated areas, you better have a degree or the chances are you’ll end up in a plant environment, construction, or Walmart. It’s easier to skip the degree in a large city, but still, you aren’t likely to climb very high.

Just because there are a few success stories away from educated people, doesn’t mean there aren’t far more on the other side. For every Bill Gates there are 1,000 like him that began with their degree.

I have friends that went to Votech for heating/ air and welding which are currently working at a plant in my hometown. They’d kill for my degrees.

It is different strokes for different folks, but we are going overboard on the rhetoric.

And as a right winger (not sure what you are), we need to stop pushing everyone away from the University system. That’s why we have no representation and that’s not a good thing (even liberal professors will tell you it’s not a good thing) I think there’s a push on the right designed to steer people away from the University setting in order to avoid brainwashing which won’t happen

They push such a radical view in areas of colleges that no real conservative thinker (normal) could ever embrace it. Just look at CRT, that was born from the University setting in social sciences. And no sane person is buying it.

If we continue to go down this road, you won’t have conservative professors, political figures in Washington, journalist, or other avenues like mental wellness. Then you can guarantee the right loses everything somewhere down the line.

In short, we need to care more than just business school and socket sets. We are so underrepresented everywhere because of the anti-college mindset.
You’re right. I’m not necessarily pro-trade or anti-college. They both have their place. Like you said, different strokes for different folks. I’ve always told my students over the years, “You can learn a trade, work hard physically, and make a lot of money, or you can get a degree, work hard mentally, and make a lot of money.” We’re just doing a crappy job steering kids into the right avenue. I see it every day. I help write math and science curriculum for some private colleges, teach a few classes as an adjunct faculty member, and do consulting work on the side. Degrees were valuable to me because I picked areas where they would be useful and I could work closer to home. My only gripe is there are too many junk degrees which will never translate into steady employment and appropriate pay for the education level. I will say though, the good news is there are more of us conservatives in the college setting than most realize, but we are mostly at private institutions.

Reactions: bfawns and Gromcat
There’s a lot of people who go to college and can’t write, especially if they go into a more technical field where writing isn’t really something that is done much. The engineers in the MBA program when I was going thru it were pretty smart guys but couldn’t write for shit.

I have a BSEE in Engineering from UK, Tau Bet Pi and Etta Kappa Nu Engineering honor societies, valedictorian of my SMALL (33 graduated) high school class. Only had to have one math class and I didn't take algebra so on the placement tests they said I could be a Doctor or a Lawyer but not an Engineer------so naturally I went into Engineering. First semester college algebra with others that took Calculus in high school, it was rough, but I made an A in the class------from never taking a book home in high school to studying all night in college, no money and no outside distractions.

From interviews my senior year at UK I had two offers from GE, in Roanoke Va with a lot of outside classes or Huntsville Bama working on ground support for the Saturn moon rocket with 60 paid hours a week and no schools. After starving my way through 4.5 years of college guess which I took? Went from there to the Kiwi project, nuclear rocket facility at Jackass Flats Nv, when that closed (after a successful test) I transferred to atomic weapons testing at NTS. All field work, and dropped out of Engineering after 15 years of mostly boring work. Officiated high school football until I was 65 and freelanced (lots of highs and lows) for about 35 years and mostly gave that up a couple of years ago, so now I spend a lot of time following all UK sports.

Have two very successful kids with five smart grandkids and that is very satisfying, and I am sure they will all go to college. I hppe they don't become frat rats and sorority Queens and forget why their parents spent all that money.

Long and boring I am sure, I should have written a book, and maybe I did.

Last edited:
No doubt. The complete lack of any respect for highly educated people and the anti-education wave that began sweeping the country about a decade ago continues to grow and be made worse by social media I think.
It's almost as if the ignorant and uneducated are suddenly empowered into believing that they are really the most intelligent group in America and have all the "true" answers to everything.
Truth is that no one group has the intellectual high ground and tearing others down to feel better about yourself is a sign of ignorance.
Our society needs all different types of people and professions to function at its highest level......ranging from ditch diggers to doctors. They are all important.

Excellent post.

Everyone can’t be a lawyer, doctor or molecular physicist. We need plumbers, manufacturers, service industry professionals too.

I am college educated and write/edit words for a living. One of my lifelong friends is a certified mechanic with a GED who couldn’t write a correctly structured sentence to save his life. But, he can rebuild any size engine like it’s nothing. He couldn’t do my job. I couldn’t do his. We both bring valuable skills to the labor force.

I dislike the elitism displayed by some college grads just the same as I hate the anti-intellectual mindset from some of those who didn’t attend college.

Excellent post.

Everyone can’t be a lawyer, doctor or molecular physicist. We need plumbers, manufacturers, service industry professionals too.

I am college educated and write/edit words for a living. One of my lifelong friends is a certified mechanic with a GED who couldn’t write a correctly structured sentence to save his life. But, he can rebuild any size engine like it’s nothing. He couldn’t do my job. I couldn’t do his. We both bring valuable skills to the labor force.

I dislike the elitism displayed by some college grads just the same as I hate the anti-intellectual mindset from some of those who didn’t attend college.
You write/edit words for a living. I don't, which is why you were able to say what I was trying to say....only better.

I have one year of college. I decided to leave after the first year and go to work since I was offered a perpetual scholarship by the university in case things with work didn’t pan out.

I have a B.S. degree in Accounting and I’m currently studying for masters in legal studies from American University. Tax Law is my specialty. Some might say I have no common sense though.

Did 4 plus years for Uncle Sam out of high school....does that count
You can actually get college credit for your service if interested. You may be eligible for as much as two years of college. Worth taking a look if it’s something you want to do. Campbellsville University is one place. Seriously. Thanks for your service as well.

Reactions: westerncat
You can actually get college credit for your service if interested. You may be eligible for as much as two years of college. Worth taking a look if it’s something you want to do. Campbellsville University is one place. Seriously. Thanks for your service as well.
Thank you sir....very kind of you to say and I did not know that. Probably won't pursue it, but thanks for the heads up.

Good luck on your Masters.

I have a BSEE in Engineering from UK, Tau Bet Pi and Etta Kappa Nu Engineering honor societies, valedictorian of my SMALL (33 graduated) high school class. Only had to have one math class and I didn't take algebra so on the placement tests they said I could be a Doctor or a Lawyer but not an Engineer------so naturally I went into Engineering. First semester college algebra with others that took Calculus in high school, it was rough, but I made an A in the class------from never taking a book home in high school to studying all night in college, no money and no outside distractions.

From interviews my senior year at UK I had two offers from GE, in Roanoke Va with a lot of outside classes or Huntsville Bama working on ground support for the Saturn moon rocket with 60 paid hours a week and no schools. After starving my way through 4.5 years of college guess which I took? Went from there to the Kiwi project, nuclear rocket facility at Jackass Flats Nv, when that closed (after a successful test) I transferred to atomic weapons testing at NTS. All field work, and dropped out of Engineering after 15 years of mostly boring work. Officiated high school football until I was 65 and freelanced (lots of highs and lows) for about 35 years and mostly gave that up a couple of years ago, so now I spend a lot of time following all UK sports.

Have two very successful kids with five smart grandkids and that is very satisfying, and I am sure they will all go to college. I hppe they don't become frat rats and sorority Queens and forget why their parents spent all that money.

Long and boring I am sure, I should have written a book, and maybe I did.
I gotta say...I've gone head to head with you a bunch over the years, but that was a very interesting post, and I have to say I feel like I know you a little better and I'm impressed. Nice job.

Reactions: jauk11
I actually took some classes with a guy in my Engineering classes (He was a junior, always wondered how he got there) that if you asked him to spell coffee he wouldn't have had one letter correct, he would have spelled it kawphy.

I actually took some classes with a guy in my Engineering classes (He was a junior, always wondered how he got there) that if you asked him to spell coffee he wouldn't have had one letter correct, he would have spelled it kawphy.
It was a love-hate academic relationship when I had to work on a project with one of them. I don’t mind doing writing but don’t like doing all of it myself. After working with them a little bit, I knew if I let them engineers do any of the writing that I would just have to proof behind them and rewrite it, so it would be more efficient for everyone involved if I just did it all myself from the beginning.

Guys were great with the math stuff though.

It was a love-hate academic relationship when I had to work on a project with one of them. I don’t mind doing writing but don’t like doing all of it myself. After working with them a little bit, I knew if I let them engineers do any of the writing that I would just have to proof behind them and rewrite it, so it would be more efficient for everyone involved if I just did it all myself from the beginning.

Guys were great with the math stuff though.
And all of them weren't dummies outside of engineering either, a lot of them used that degree to go places in management.

Reactions: Nbacats
I’ve worked around accountants. Some are genuinely good guys, but a lot I couldn't be around they had the depth of Kroger Field bathroom floor piss.
I can tell you many have no personality and many are regular guys. Probably true of most white collar professions.

I knew Reverend L.M. Hamilton who taught at that University. Much, much respect for that gentleman. He had several pipe organs in his home in Campbellsville, one that went out his roof. Just enjoyed conversing with him. Was privileged to be invited to his home about twice a year for several years just to converse.

That was back in the 90's. He seemed in his 60's.

Reactions: Cawood86
As a SysEngineer with a BA in Business... it should be.. go pay $10/month for Coursera/LinuxAcademy/Udemy/etc to learn computers, get a helpdesk/entry job making $40k/year, advance into engineering (software or system) making $70-$150k.. all within 10 years. If you're good at what you do, or get into management, there is no limit to what you can make. I have friends in their 30's at Microsoft, Cisco, Palo Alto, Amazon, Salesforce.. all making $200-400k. And only a few of them have degrees. Some just HS diploma. Software engineers, Pre-sales, Project Managers, Solutions Architects..

Computers are really just an advanced form of a trade, IMO. The people who got into this field, likely did it from tinkering as a kid.. no different than messing with car engines or fixing electrical outlets with your dad. It's not high level math, or rocket science, or fixing the human body.

There are other ways to do what you describe too, but I agree. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT