Do you have a college degree?

• Yes

Votes: 331 85.1%
  • No

Votes: 62 15.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any degree that's worthless. My major had no relationship to my life's work, but the general education courses required for all degrees definitely did. Things like college level reading, writing, and communicating make any person more effective. I'm retired now, but I made more income than I ever expected and advanced up the ladder much farther than I expected. My son-in-law is another example of no degree being worthless. He chose to major in psychology but never worked a single day in that field. He's worked his entire career in management at large corporations. He is now an executive VP at a large restaurant holding company.

You’re so right that there really is no “worthless” degree (within the realm of sanity). I hold degrees in the social sciences and have done very well. My family is mainly in finance and business so obviously there was a conflict. I had an idea and a specific purpose in a specific field and it’s paying off by working hard toward a goal which no one really noticed. Interestingly enough, a few of those that quit college and gave me a hard time early on are about to be employed by me in a business that was born from the idea and means I obtained from my college degrees. And it’s looking like thousands of misguided juveniles per year will benefit from it as well - many that qualify won’t end up in detention centers. I essentially found a need by the state which will use my business model for juvenile therapy.

The only real “throw away degree” is one you didn’t work hard to achieve. As a 9th grade high school drop out I had to work very hard (sometimes 20+ hours per day) to catch up and excel past. Breaking through those barriers creates a new person entirely. I was recently told by a professor at Tennessee Knoxville who analyzes statistics on high school dropouts that my accomplishments are so rare that there are no real measures to look to as a means to compare. So it’s not bragging but hey, I’m not supposed to be here. Had I went to learn some trade quickly these things would have never happened.

More so than the money I want to see some kids whom are totally down and out to feel what that is like. And now the money is looking very good as well so, it’s just something that is hard to describe.

And it all began from negative and hateful comments about my worth, my abilities, and my dream of achieving higher education.

The public speaking class that was a gen ed requirement for everyone at my college was really beneficial. Used to be scared to do a presentation or any type of public speaking, even hated just speaking up in class to answer a question. It built the confidence in me to be able to speak up, give presentations, speak in public, etc. I never could have imagined being a PA announcer at a sporting event or doing commentary on a broadcast for a game but did it plenty of times when I worked in sports and never had a problem doing it.

The conscious relaxation techniques class I took as an elective has proven beneficial in daily life for 14 years and counting.

The health emergencies class that was a requirement for my major taught me useful basic first aid skills. Thankfully I’ve only ever had to use it once, and that was when my mom broke her ankle.

Marketing helped me learn about personal branding and how to best market myself as a product for potential employers. It also taught me how to pitch ideas more effectively both personally and professionally.

Managerial accounting taught me how to manipulate the budgeting process to get more of what you want in your departments budget.

Nutrition was a pretty useful elective, though as my body visibly shows I’ve not done the best job at utilizing that knowledge lol

All the writing I had to do throughout my 7 years of college also drastically improved my professional writing skills.

Group projects also helped me better learn how to work as a team. I have a tendency to want to do everything exactly how I want it to be done, and my way isn’t always the best and/or correct way. Sports can help with that some, but you don’t have as much independence with that giving the whole coaching thing as you do in academic projects.

All the extracurriculars and work I did while going to school full-time forced me to develop strong time management skills.

Right.

I think many fail to realize that College isn’t really about “knowing more than the next guy”. It’s about your post above. Anyone that’s had higher education from start to finish already know, colleges are made like an underwater cave system. You begin totally under water with no light in sight, tunnels everywhere, and alone. Those that make it out alive are forever changed by their ability to survive it. It’s not really about what you’re learning.

The public speaking class that was a gen ed requirement for everyone at my college was really beneficial. Used to be scared to do a presentation or any type of public speaking, even hated just speaking up in class to answer a question. It built the confidence in me to be able to speak up, give presentations, speak in public, etc. I never could have imagined being a PA announcer at a sporting event or doing commentary on a broadcast for a game but did it plenty of times when I worked in sports and never had a problem doing it.

The conscious relaxation techniques class I took as an elective has proven beneficial in daily life for 14 years and counting.

The health emergencies class that was a requirement for my major taught me useful basic first aid skills. Thankfully I’ve only ever had to use it once, and that was when my mom broke her ankle.

Marketing helped me learn about personal branding and how to best market myself as a product for potential employers. It also taught me how to pitch ideas more effectively both personally and professionally.

Managerial accounting taught me how to manipulate the budgeting process to get more of what you want in your departments budget.

Nutrition was a pretty useful elective, though as my body visibly shows I’ve not done the best job at utilizing that knowledge lol

All the writing I had to do throughout my 7 years of college also drastically improved my professional writing skills.

Group projects also helped me better learn how to work as a team. I have a tendency to want to do everything exactly how I want it to be done, and my way isn’t always the best and/or correct way. Sports can help with that some, but you don’t have as much independence with that giving the whole coaching thing as you do in academic projects.

All the extracurriculars and work I did while going to school full-time forced me to develop strong time management skills.
Weird thing for me is that I got around taking Public Speaking. I was always told, “if it’s on your degree program and it gets approved, that is the only classes you have to take.” That turned out to be correct, at least at WKU. My advisor inadvertently left it off for some reason and it got approved (thanks to the old rubber stamp). What is even funnier is that I became a teacher. 25 years later and it didn’t hurt one bit not taking it. I didn’t need it, I have no problem getting up in front of crowds, for the most part.

Weird thing for me is that I got around taking Public Speaking. I was always told, “if it’s on your degree program and it gets approved, that is the only classes you have to take.” That turned out to be correct, at least at WKU. My advisor inadvertently left it off for some reason and it got approved (thanks to the old rubber stamp). What is even funnier is that I became a teacher. 25 years later and it didn’t hurt one bit not taking it. I didn’t need it, I have no problem getting up in front of crowds, for the most part.

Lucky. Everyone (most?) takes communication (in my state anyway) regardless of degree. Also those are “digital” stamps now, and the rampant cheating that took place at colleges during the boomer era is no longer. My mom talks about how easy it was back then, and I couldn’t imagine being able to pull off what they could.

greatest generation = woke up at 4 to walk through 2 wars, hand plow fields of cotton, then were told to produce Shakespearean level work in order to achieve a degree.

Boomers - reaped the rewards of the greatest generation and created circle time where they contemplated “maan what if Charles Manson had a point maan but in a way we don’t think about it maan”. Far out ideas but we get nowhere.

GenXers, well we’re just left figuring out how to create something from the nothing the boomers are leaving behind.

Yes my dad (born in 48) hates me.

Reactions: Nbacats
I think higher education is America’s biggest lie. Most jobs train and most jobs really don’t require you to know much. People skills are way more important and I don’t think really taught in college to the point it’s worth the money. Stupid to me when jobs require a college degree, it means very little. Just show up and you’ll likely pass

But, imo, we as a country value what people do for a living way too much. I used to manage 150 people and a massive facility, it sucked. I also worked at the post office, a job that doesn’t require a degree and I was much happier.
Unless you’re gonna be a doctor or something super specific, it’s not worth it. And yes, most adults could teach, be a social worker, etc without getting a degree.

I’d rather be free of debt and stress and make less than put up with all the BS. Get a degree, get a job, kiss ass and take on projects to advance. No thanks, I’d rather work at a grocery store and be home by 4pm every day
I’m not a social worker, but I work with social workers and do a similar enough job to know that I could just as easily do my job without any college at all. Nothing I did in college prepared me for what I do. I learned everything on the job.

I think in the vast majority of professions, as long as you have a solid work ethic and are willing to learn, you could do just about anything

My current job does not require a college degree. Alas, many of the skills I learned for the job were either obtained during college or working in jobs post-college that required a college degree. I also don't feel like I would have been considered if I didn't have that experience and skills. It's mid-level job that generally wants several years experience in the field, I had zero days experience in the field when I applied.

I’m not a social worker, but I work with social workers and do a similar enough job to know that I could just as easily do my job without any college at all. Nothing I did in college prepared me for what I do. I learned everything on the job.

I think in the vast majority of professions, as long as you have a solid work ethic and are willing to learn, you could do just about anything

Since this is the second time it’s brought up, I’ll respond to both. if it’s too long, please don’t read.

social work isn’t exactly what it used to be. It’s largely a mental health field now at upper levels (similar to psychology), and if you do not have the training from the degree you can’t do it. Social work is entirely different than it was even 20 years ago.

Generalist practice ( maybe this is what you’re speaking toward) can be performed fairly routinely, but you still need the courses to practice it correctly. An uneducated person off the street given 30 days preparation isn’t going to be very effective even if “technically” case loads are turned in.

Beyond that, most social work majors move into clinical work which, no one is going to do without the education. It takes similar study to that of a psychologist, which means a firm grasp of the DSM-5. There is a reason psychology departments at universities are fearful of social work gaining the ability to prescribe medications. If it happens psychology as a field of study is damn near rendered obsolete in the job market.

Besides, to reach the level of a clinical social worker you need both education and field work. But if you do not have the education, field work won’t really help you.

I just thought I’d add that because there are so many myths about this sort of thing. The funny part is the words “social work” are only used these days in order to keep to grass roots. It’s not really reflective of the education. Social work is just the study of psychology, sociology, political science, communications, the humanities, and more.

Another interesting fact for those that care - social work is becoming a highly sought out degree in many other fields. Even in business, social workers are beginning to be employed in major roles traditionally designed for business majors. The “business humanities” of today is something that people really haven’t caught on to, but is gaining in popularity to big business. Marketing is another that is beginning to employ graduate level social workers, in some cases they’re more sought out than people with marketing degrees. Currently understanding the political climate, being able to relate to peoples needs, and the ability to understand the psychology of behavior is essential in this social media age and business really loves that.

I personally think the push to change the field / degree naming to something toward policy is a good step, however it’s receiving heavy pushback from the traditionalist. But to me the term “social work” is old, out dated, and confusing.

Oddly enough, I’m one of those right wing guys with a large gun collection, never met a communist I liked, have never voted for a D (even though I’m not really as ideological as that sounds), and have a sort of virtuous nationalist outlook that isn’t found in my world of work. Im different in that I believe core liberal values are of the right today. At the same time, I’m finishing an MS-SW and dual majored in psychology and social work. Weird I know, I get weird looks too. But social work really prepared me for my business life and my aspirations in the world of psychology. I think it has made me a better overall person too in a well rounded and intuitive way.

Just thought I’d throw that out there. I’m bored also, but the field of social work is probably the most misunderstood avenue in the entire educational system.

Last edited:
Since this is the second time it’s brought up, I’ll respond to both. if it’s too long, please don’t read.

social work isn’t exactly what it used to be. It’s largely a mental health field now at upper levels (similar to psychology), and if you do not have the training from the degree you can’t do it. Social work is entirely different than it was even 20 years ago.

Generalist practice ( maybe this is what you’re speaking toward) can be performed fairly routinely, but you still need the courses to practice it correctly. An uneducated person off the street given 30 days preparation isn’t going to be very effective even if “technically” case loads are turned in.

Beyond that, most social work majors move into clinical work which, no one is going to do without the education. It takes similar study to that of a psychologist, which means a firm grasp of the DSM-5. There is a reason psychology departments at universities are fearful of social work gaining the ability to prescribe medications. If it happens psychology as a field of study is damn near rendered obsolete in the job market.

Besides, to reach the level of a clinical social worker you need both education and field work. But if you do not have the education, field work won’t really help you.

I just thought I’d add that because there are so many myths about this sort of thing. The funny part is the words “social work” are only used these days in order to keep to grass roots. It’s not really reflective of the education. Social work is just the study of psychology, sociology, political science, communications, the humanities, and more.

Another interesting fact for those that care - social work is becoming a highly sought out degree in many other fields. Even in business, social workers are beginning to be employed in major roles traditionally designed for business majors. The “business humanities” of today is something that people really haven’t caught on to, but is gaining in popularity to big business. Marketing is another that is beginning to employ graduate level social workers, in some cases they’re more sought out than people with marketing degrees. Currently understanding the political climate, being able to relate to peoples needs, and the ability to understand the psychology of behavior is essential in this social media age and business really loves that.

I personally think the push to change the field / degree naming to something toward policy is a good step, however it’s receiving heavy pushback from the traditionalist. But to me the term “social work” is old, out dated, and confusing.

Oddly enough, I’m a one of those right wing guys with a large gun collection, never met a communist I liked, have never voted for a D (even though I’m not really as ideological as that sounds), and have a sort of virtuous nationalist outlook that isn’t found in my world of work. I’m finishing an MS-SW and dual majored in psychology and social work. Weird I know, I get weird looks too. But social work really prepared me for my business life and my aspirations in the world of psychology. I think it has made me a better overall person too in a well rounded and intuitive way.
Of course I can only speak about the place I work at, which is a clinical setting and the social workers I work with are probably doing work closer to my job than I am theirs, so that’s an important distinction I should have made.

My degree is in psychology, and the vast majority of my classes did not prepare me for the job I have now. Nearly everything besides surface level knowledge was learned on the job for me.

I do think it’s interesting you brought up how the current events and politics play a part in working in mental health. That’s something I’ve noticed as well, and it has helped me on numerous occasions to have an interest in those types of things to be able to relate to a client or at least understand what they’re talking about.

Speaking about your personal political beliefs was interesting to me too. I actually feel the same as you do with the opposite beliefs. I’m the only lefty where I work, so I feel as out of place as you described at times.

Lucky. Everyone (most?) takes communication (in my state anyway) regardless of degree. Also those are “digital” stamps now, and the rampant cheating that took place at colleges during the boomer era is no longer. My mom talks about how easy it was back then, and I couldn’t imagine being able to pull off what they could.

greatest generation = woke up at 4 to walk through 2 wars, hand plow fields of cotton, then were told to produce Shakespearean level work in order to achieve a degree.

Boomers - reaped the rewards of the greatest generation and created circle time where they contemplated “maan what if Charles Manson had a point maan but in a way we don’t think about it maan”. Far out ideas but we get nowhere.

GenXers, well we’re just left figuring out how to create something from the nothing the boomers are leaving behind.

Yes my dad (born in 48) hates me.
My dad was born in 47. Worked as a plumber and had to stay gone from his home most of the time to find work. Lived in western Kentucky and worked in Chicago, Washington, D.C., Chattanooga, Memphis, etc. Thought he was close to home when he only had to drive three hours to work. He had it made, I guess.

But anyway, each generation thinks they had it harder than their parents and vice versa.

I kind of feel my generation (Gen X like you) has been pretty fortunate. Never had to worry about a draft. Got through school before people started shooting them up. Most are at the end of our careers. I would hate to be just starting out right now.

And I would not trade my childhood for my 9 year old son’s, for sure. A pandemic, masks in school, and active shooter drills on top of that. So much uncertainty. It’s a really crappy time to be growing up, IMHO.

Of course I can only speak about the place I work at, which is a clinical setting and the social workers I work with are probably doing work closer to my job than I am theirs, so that’s an important distinction I should have made.

My degree is in psychology, and the vast majority of my classes did not prepare me for the job I have now. Nearly everything besides surface level knowledge was learned on the job for me.

I do think it’s interesting you brought up how the current events and politics play a part in working in mental health. That’s something I’ve noticed as well, and it has helped me on numerous occasions to have an interest in those types of things to be able to relate to a client or at least understand what they’re talking about.

Speaking about your personal political beliefs was interesting to me too. I actually feel the same as you do with the opposite beliefs. I’m the only lefty where I work, so I feel as out of place as you described at times.

I find it fascinating that you are on an island politically, given that the field is so dominated by your (I assume) party of preference. I will say however that I’ve found the “radical leftist academics” is overplayed at times and I’m sure I’m guilty of pushing it as well. Most of my professors in the social sciences might have been of leftist ideology but weren’t as they’re portrayed.

I think we’ve discussed some of these issues before. If I recall correctly you might have disagreed, but I’ve been working with my former university and the NASW (reps from my state) on changing the approach to the way we view and promote the idea of oppression. We might have discussed that, or maybe it was someone else. I’ve actually written an extensive research on the subject which will be available (hopefully) in 2022. The data is very eye opening.

I believe as you do however that the political climate is having a profound effect (or should) on the way we are approaching and dealing with clients. I think that’s where my first degree in history and minors of political science really helped shape my understanding of where others are coming from and how to deal with it. In short, or maybe obviously, policy becomes the people’s reality.

I think we might have talked past one another on the idea of work preparedness and the ability to perform these jobs. I was suggesting that the idea you can pluck people off of the street and teach them on the job training to handle these fields isn’t possible in my view - especially at the clinical level. Maybe your experience is different, but I don’t see how anyone could possibly do that. And if it could be done, simple on the job training without the education would seem to me to be dangerous and irresponsible. I would say the same about a teacher. Obviously, if you have a teaching degree you were prepared to understand how to teach, methods to employ to reach a broader audience etc. To me it seems as if some don’t realize they use more from their education on the job than they realize
Years later. As someone who worked previously with many uneducated millennials, there’s just no way in my mind (generally) you could give them on job training for 6 months and release them in what we do.

My dad was born in 47. Worked as a plumber and had to stay gone from his home most of the time to find work. Lived in western Kentucky and worked in Chicago, Washington, D.C., Chattanooga, Memphis, etc. Thought he was close to home when he only had to drive three hours to work. He had it made, I guess.

But anyway, each generation thinks they had it harder than their parents and vice versa.

I kind of feel my generation (Gen X like you) has been pretty fortunate. Never had to worry about a draft. Got through school before people started shooting them up. Most are at the end of our careers. I would hate to be just starting out right now.

And I would not trade my childhood for my 9 year old son’s, for sure. A pandemic, masks in school, and active shooter drills on top of that. So much uncertainty. It’s a really crappy time to be growing up, IMHO.

I don’t think I’m a genX, I’m what they call a Xllenial I think. Born in 85.

And I don’t think it’s debatable some generations have it harder than others. My grandfather had 9 slugs in his body in France WW2. Threw in a body pile then tortured by the Germans and held prisoner until 1945. He wasn’t given anything, and was told to go back to society without so much as a therapy session.

The idea that generations are only different in the minds of the beholder just ain’t accurate. To me it’s sort of lazy? Maybe.

I totally agree I wouldn’t trade growing up in the 90’s for any of this today. And the pressure from social media would be brutal to grow up in.

I find it fascinating that you are on an island politically, given that the field is so dominated by your (I assume) party of preference. I will say however that I’ve found the “radical leftist academics” is overplayed at times and I’m sure I’m guilty of pushing it as well. Most of my professors in the social sciences might have been of leftist ideology but weren’t as they’re portrayed.

I think we’ve discussed some of these issues before. If I recall correctly you might have disagreed, but I’ve been working with my former university and the NASW (reps from my state) on changing the approach to the way we view and promote the idea of oppression. We might have discussed that, or maybe it was someone else. I’ve actually written an extensive research on the subject which will be available (hopefully) in 2022. The data is very eye opening.

I believe as you do however that the political climate is having a profound effect (or should) on the way we are approaching and dealing with clients. I think that’s where my first degree in history and minors of political science really helped shape my understanding of where others are coming from and how to deal with it. In short, or maybe obviously, policy becomes the people’s reality.

I think we might have talked past one another on the idea of work preparedness and the ability to perform these jobs. I was suggesting that the idea you can pluck people off of the street and teach them on the job training to handle these fields isn’t possible in my view - especially at the clinical level. Maybe your experience is different, but I don’t see how anyone could possibly do that. And if it could be done, simple on the job training without the education would seem to me to be dangerous and irresponsible. I would say the same about a teacher. Obviously, if you have a teaching degree you were prepared to understand how to teach, methods to employ to reach a broader audience etc. To me it seems as if some don’t realize they use more from their education on the job than they realize
Years later. As someone who worked previously with many uneducated millennials, there’s just no way in my mind (generally) you could give them on job training for 6 months and release them in what we do.
I don’t think you could take just anyone off the street and they could do it. I think that there are factors like personality and intelligence that are more important that education. All are important of course, but I just think college is not as necessary as many think it is.

I’m not sure we’ve talked before unless you had another username in the past. This sounds familiar to a conversation I had with someone before but it was under another name.

I don’t think I’m a genX, I’m what they call a Xllenial I think. Born in 85.

And I don’t think it’s debatable some generations have it harder than others. My grandfather had 9 slugs in his body in France WW2. Threw in a body pile then tortured by the Germans and held prisoner until 1945. He wasn’t given anything, and was told to go back to society without so much as a therapy session.

The idea that generations are only different in the minds of the beholder just ain’t accurate. To me it’s sort of lazy? Maybe.

I totally agree I wouldn’t trade growing up in the 90’s for any of this today. And the pressure from social media would be brutal to grow up in.
Good points.

Every individual is different. My dad grew up as a “early boomer” in that counterculture generation, but was no “hippie”. He in many ways is the antithesis of that. He only shares a birth period with that group of people and not much else.

My Grandpa was in the Army in WW2, but didn’t see combat. He worked air traffic control for the Army Air Force. His experience was much different from your grandfather’s. Yet we lump them together as the Greatest Generation. What about the deserters during WW2? Are they part of that heroic generation? My other grandpa didn’t serve. He was digging coal at the time. I guess he did his part, but nothing considered heroic, just a poor coal miner trying to survive. What is the difference between him and a “boomer” coal miner in the 70’s and 80’s?

Good stuff. Always enjoy your food for thought.

Reactions: Gromcat
I don’t think you could take just anyone off the street and they could do it. I think that there are factors like personality and intelligence that are more important that education. All are important of course, but I just think college is not as necessary as many think it is.

I’m not sure we’ve talked before unless you had another username in the past. This sounds familiar to a conversation I had with someone before but it was under another name.

I see. Yes it might have been under another username. It was Josephwildcat69.

I’m of the alternate view. I think there are factors at play some don’t realize while in college. I think if people actually saw the idea in practice of hiring people without degrees they’d quickly change their mind in most cases. Especially if the job requires critical thinking, professional writing, and commitment.

I do think there are positions which could be learned easily, for example if I were to simply connect people with social service agencies and so forth. But beyond that I think you need an education for many reasons to perform certain jobs. And if not really to perform certain duties, to perform the job correctly as it’s intended as opposed to simply getting by.

And maybe its just been my experience, but in my 20’s I worked in sectors full of uneducated people my age and it was an absolute nightmare. I’d rather spend 8 hours staring at the wall than do that again. It’s different working with academically accomplished people (today). And that’s not to say one is superior, I just think if you’re going to be involved in most types of professional work and especially if you’re responsible for others, more times than not you need an education if for nothing else than to prove you can do the work. Let’s face it, the world is getting pretty ignorant and more education would help advance past these baby steps we take today.

Btw, I also prefer my hvac and plumber spend more time working with pipes than learning to form debating tactics in a logic class. It works both ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nbacats
Good points.

Every individual is different. My dad grew up as a “early boomer” in that counterculture generation, but was no “hippie”. He in many ways is the antithesis of that. He only shares a birth period with that group of people and not much else.

My Grandpa was in the Army in WW2, but didn’t see combat. He worked air traffic control for the Army Air Force. His experience was much different from your grandfather’s. Yet we lump them together as the Greatest Generation. What about the deserters during WW2? Are they part of that heroic generation? My other grandpa didn’t serve. He was digging coal at the time. I guess he did his part, but nothing considered heroic, just a poor coal miner trying to survive. What is the difference between him and a “boomer” coal miner in the 70’s and 80’s?

Good stuff. Always enjoy your food for thought.

I always enjoy reading your stuff too, except for the lineups. I legitimately become irritated when I see it and I still can’t figure out why. I think it must be that they RARELY TURN OUT THAT WAY. 🧐😃

Good stuff on the war era. I love hearing the stories. My dad was early boomer too and I came when he was nearly 40. He ultra conservative military so I give him a lot of shit about him being of the “hippie” generation. Our age is so far apart I can easily disturb this guy.

Boomers have lots of good qualities in there, but the greats are the greats for a reason. I have to remind them here and there that they didn’t quite live up.

Nobody shoot, it’s all general.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I see. Yes it might have been under another username. It was Josephwildcat69.

I’m of the alternate view. I think there are factors at play some don’t realize while in college. I think if people actually saw the idea in practice of hiring people without degrees they’d quickly change their mind in most cases. Especially if the job requires critical thinking, professional writing, and commitment.

I do think there are positions which could be learned easily, for example if I were to simply connect people with social service agencies and so forth. But beyond that I think you need an education for many reasons to perform certain jobs. And if not really to perform certain duties, to perform the job correctly as it’s intended as opposed to simply getting by.

And maybe its just been my experience, but in my 20’s I worked in sectors full of uneducated people my age and it was an absolute nightmare. I’d rather spend 8 hours staring at the wall than do that again. It’s different working with academically accomplished people (today). And that’s not to say one is superior, I just think if you’re going to be involved in most types of professional work and especially if you’re responsible for others, more times than not you need an education if for nothing else than to prove you can do the work. Let’s face it, the world is getting pretty ignorant and more education would help advance past these baby steps we take today.

Btw, I also prefer my hvac and plumber spend more time working with pipes than learning to form debating tactics in a logic class. It works both ways.
I worked in a job where I supervised a largely lesser educated/uneducated workforce of people in their late teens to early 20s and in two jobs where I supervised a workforce of entirely people in their late teens to early 20s enrolled in a four-year college. Neither were jobs with any education requirements. If I had to pick one of the two, I will easily take the second group every single time. Doesn't have anything to do with job performance, there were high quality workers, shitty workers, and everyone else in the middle from both groups. The second group was just far more reliable, punctual, and dependable and had much less of a negative attitude.

You’re so right that there really is no “worthless” degree (within the realm of sanity). I hold degrees in the social sciences and have done very well. My family is mainly in finance and business so obviously there was a conflict. I had an idea and a specific purpose in a specific field and it’s paying off by working hard toward a goal which no one really noticed. Interestingly enough, a few of those that quit college and gave me a hard time early on are about to be employed by me in a business that was born from the idea and means I obtained from my college degrees. And it’s looking like thousands of misguided juveniles per year will benefit from it as well - many that qualify won’t end up in detention centers. I essentially found a need by the state which will use my business model for juvenile therapy.

The only real “throw away degree” is one you didn’t work hard to achieve. As a 9th grade high school drop out I had to work very hard (sometimes 20+ hours per day) to catch up and excel past. Breaking through those barriers creates a new person entirely. I was recently told by a professor at Tennessee Knoxville who analyzes statistics on high school dropouts that my accomplishments are so rare that there are no real measures to look to as a means to compare. So it’s not bragging but hey, I’m not supposed to be here. Had I went to learn some trade quickly these things would have never happened.

More so than the money I want to see some kids whom are totally down and out to feel what that is like. And now the money is looking very good as well so, it’s just something that is hard to describe.

And it all began from negative and hateful comments about my worth, my abilities, and my dream of achieving higher education.

Maybe there is no such thing as a worthless degree, but there are certainly some much more worthless than others!!
For example a degree in Afro-American studies or in 15th Century Literature is more worthless than a degree in Math or Biology, which is more worthless than a degree in Mechanical Engineering or an MD. So it is certainly not an all or nothing thing.
In general, for most professions, college does not teach you what you need to know; but it does teach you how to learn or figure out what you need to know to do your job. It gives you some tools.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I have read and seen plenty about people blaming boomers for the situation today. It is easy to blame some other generation when yours is failing. Perhaps those of today should not be so entitled and go out and get what they want through hard work. However, I will say that the boomer generation was not without our problems. We fought against the system (government) while todays generation is relying on the system. Boomers also were not uneducated.

"Boomers were once the best-educated generation, in part because the Vietnam War kept many Boomer men in college to avoid the draft. ... Thirty-one percent of Boomers had a bachelor's degree in 2013. An even larger 35 percent of Gen Xers and Millennials had a bachelor's degree."

Boomers had a lot of tumultuous times (demonstrations, upheavals) like we are seeing today. Perhaps there is a correlation.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBUK and Gromcat
This poll is a joke. The national average is around 35% who got a degree and this poll is 85% in KY. Ky has one of the worst educational system in the country usually ranking around 45th every year.

Lot's on here stretching the truth.
Not possible that this site, based on following a college basketball team, could be skewed more towards a group of more educated than the national average?

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and Cat06
To each their own. I loved my college years and wouldn’t trade them for anything. College forced me to grow up and how to manage my life while staying focused on a task. Just like everything in this life, every experience is what you make of it. IMO college was worth every penny. Certainly grad school was and paid for itself. That being said, it’s not for everyone and am certain there are very happy, intelligent and successful people who also chose trades. At the end of the day, all that matters is health, happiness, and family. If it gets you there, it was the right path for you.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Well he was at my house for 8 hours 3 weeks ago putting in 2 new faucets, a garden tub faucet, new shower trim, flushing a thankless water heater and removing old fixtures and it was $1877.00 dollars, so I must have got a discount that day. What is your argument that a college education is better than being a tradesman?
Didn’t say better. How much were his supply costs? Was he an employee? Understand reading or business costs much? My argument has been about earning potential and as has been posted above, the educated earn more.

Aaaaa - men. It seems like a lot of people who say "a college degree is just a piece of paper" have degrees in mostly useless fields of study. Which is fine, but was their choice.
Yeah, like getting a degree in English Lit or anything that has “studies” in it.

I have 5 degrees. Educated fool I guess. College is just a money racket for a piece of paper stating job eligibility. Associates degrees are trash. Half of BA & BS could be better served in a mentorship or work study. Master’s degrees are basically take my money snd give me a degree. Doctorate degrees just prove you can do research, write and bs enough to make the data fit where you want.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Well he was at my house for 8 hours 3 weeks ago putting in 2 new faucets, a garden tub faucet, new shower trim, flushing a thankless water heater and removing old fixtures and it was $1877.00 dollars, so I must have got a discount that day. What is your argument that a college education is better than being a tradesman?
Further to my point, with your cost of $1877 it’s $187 an hour not including travel costs and time, the cost of materials, tools, etc. It equates to about $30-40 an hour. Good for the plumber but not $300 an hour.

I have to agree with those who say a college degree doesn't make a person smart. Of course that's true and that's not the purpose of college. Intelligence is mostly genetic and has little to nothing to do with education. Knowledge, however, is needed to apply intelligence. It is accumulated over one's lifetime from many sources that may include college.
True, but are we allowed to say intelligence is genetic? I thought this dirty little secret had been bludgeoned out of everyone and only discussed in whispers in deep forests.

Last edited:
I have 5 degrees. Educated fool I guess. College is just a money racket for a piece of paper stating job eligibility. Associates degrees are trash. Half of BA & BS could be better served in a mentorship or work study. Master’s degrees are basically take my money snd give me a degree. Doctorate degrees just prove you can do research, write and bs enough to make the data fit where you want.
Wait, the guy that has 5 degrees says college is just a money racket?

Well I’m a guy with one degree who says it’s not. How do we reconcile this?

Wait, the guy that has 5 degrees says college is just a money racket?

Well I’m a guy with one degree who says it’s not. How do we reconcile this?
The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Actual classes and training that pertain to a specific area. Less theory, more practice. Trim the fat so to speak. Years service and equivalence testing as an option for advancement instead of pure education credentials. Then people have the option. JMO. Also, I write curriculum for private colleges. The standards they need to hit for accreditation are ridiculous and a waste of resources.

Didn’t say better. How much were his supply costs? Was he an employee? Understand reading or business costs much? My argument has been about earning potential and as has been posted above, the educated earn more.
Supply costs are charged to Customer and if you think teachers, social workers , most ministers, military officers, bank employees, etc.. make more than most plumbers you are mistaken, I would venture to say Tradesmen make more than probably half of all College educated graduates today.

• Haha
Reactions: dakid_0812
I would venture to say Tradesmen make more than probably half of all College educated graduates today.
Now you’re just making numbers up to support what your opinion is. “I would venture to say …”? Okay, prove that.

Secondly being a tradesman just isn’t for everyone. Just like going to college isn’t for everyone. A lot of people have zero interest in doing manual labor the rest of their lives.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Supply costs are charged to Customer and if you think teachers, social workers , most ministers, military officers, bank employees, etc.. make more than most plumbers you are mistaken, I would venture to say Tradesmen make more than probably half of all College educated graduates today.

How much does an average plumber make?

How much does an average plumber make?
I’ll answer for him.

“Plumbers made a median salary of $55,160 in 2019. The best-paid 25 percent made $73,380 that year, while the lowest-paid 25 percent made $41,230.”

I’ll answer for him.

“Plumbers made a median salary of $55,160 in 2019. The best-paid 25 percent made $73,380 that year, while the lowest-paid 25 percent made $41,230.”

If you compare it to the average salary of the first profession he mentioned, teacher, he would see the average teacher makes 59k a year with the top 25% making close to 80k working 8 months a year with ridiculous benefits. But he’s also an accountant that doesn’t know how much average college costs are or how to calculate how much the plumber he paid made during the day 😂

I’ll answer for him.

Yeah, but is $40K worth all the literal shit you have to deal with? Of course I generally dislike most forms of manual labor. Worked on a landscaping crew full-time for a few summers in HS and college and, after eating dinner and taking care of the dishes, I had the energy to maybe a couple hours of free time at night and sometimes even then I would struggle to stay awake for that much.

Thought I could see myself enjoying something like carpentry, as long as it wasn't with a construction company. After working in jobs (like landscaping and sports) where I would regularly work in the elements, **** putting myself thru that again for 8 hours a day. Especially the freezing cold, I damn near lost some fingers working a game when the temperature dropped to 28, and that was with wearing two pairs of gloves, one rated for temperatures below 20 degrees.

I’m an advocate of “education for education’s sake.” Not all learning has to be done for the sake of a degree or to make more money.

Most of what I have truly learned throughout my life has been because I wanted to learn it.

I didn’t read The Hobbit because it was assigned in school, I read it because I wanted to read it. What I know about Sedimentary rocks, I know because of what I read about them because I was curious about them. What I know about the English monarchy is from research I have done about it because I am curious about it.

I am a teacher and I realize that most kids don’t really learn much unless they have a genuine interest in it. Otherwise, they just study enough to pass the test and then forget it. This is especially true at the high school and college level.

I think in our society, education has become associated with dollar signs. But it really doesn’t have to be.

Last edited:
Yeah, but is $40K worth all the literal shit you have to deal with? Of course I generally dislike most forms of manual labor. Worked on a landscaping crew full-time for a few summers in HS and college and, after eating dinner and taking care of the dishes, I had the energy to maybe a couple hours of free time at night and sometimes even then I would struggle to stay awake for that much.

Thought I could see myself enjoying something like carpentry, as long as it wasn't with a construction company. After working in jobs (like landscaping and sports) where I would regularly work in the elements, **** putting myself thru that again for 8 hours a day. Especially the freezing cold, I damn near lost some fingers working a game when the temperature dropped to 28, and that was with wearing two pairs of gloves, one rated for temperatures below 20 degrees.
100% agreed. I went to college because I’m not built to do manual labor my whole life. Especially not dealing with piss and shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT