Do you have a college degree?

• Yes

Votes: 331 85.1%
  • No

Votes: 62 15.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only an associates in computer networking, but work in IT which usually doesn't care at all what your degree if you even have one. It's mostly about experience and what you know. Most of the best IT guys I know have no college or some random degree like English and just got into the field. I do virtualization engineering for global private cloud and managed services provider.

Well when your company sends you to an MBA program (which is the case in my real life scenario) they aren't doing it just to throw away money...
When I worked for Dupont for a year after the Army they wanted to send me through college, but they had too many strings attached------they said I couldn't even play basketball in city leagues because of their investment. I wasn't crazy about BB (played a couple years, no star there) but I was crazy about flag football, ended up starting three flag football leagues from scratch and playing in ten more. Great game.

Here is some food for thought: some of the most influential people in the world barely graduated HS.

LeBron James has millions of people who listen to his every utterance and (as far as I know) he has never spent a minute in college.

Just an observation.

Average rafters poster according to threads.
  • Works in some kind of private marketing computer engineering software production IT supervisor executive with clearance role. Also:

• Started own company / owns own company

• Has 4 degrees, 2 advanced degrees or: didn’t go to college but makes more than anyone who did and owns Texas
  • Average median income 345,000 dollars per year
  • Average poster lies within top .03% of income earners in US, with or without degree.

Here is some food for thought: some of the most influential people in the world barely graduated HS.

LeBron James has millions of people who listen to his every utterance and (as far as I know) he has never spent a minute in college.

Just an observation.

According to pew research (which you’re more likely to pay attention to if you’re educated) - Americans are reading less books now than ever.

Maybe philosobron could entice them to read more by, reading.

**and Lebron, actually read the book.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Average rafters poster according to threads.
  • Works in some kind of private marketing computer engineering software production IT supervisor executive with clearance role. Also:

• Started own company / owns own company

• Has 4 degrees, 2 advanced degrees or: didn’t go to college but makes more than anyone who did and owns Texas
  • Average median income 345,000 dollars per year
  • Average poster lies within top .03% of income earners in US, with or without degree.
And stingy as hell because they won’t donate NIL money to the poor little rich boy athletes.

Reactions: Gromcat

Just an observation.
Might say the same thing about many movie stars. That speaks more about the gullible masses who listen to blithering idiots than it does about college education.

According to pew research (which you’re more likely to pay attention to if you’re educated) - Americans are reading less books now than ever.

Maybe philosobron could entice them to read more by, reading.

**and Lebron, actually read the book.
Documentaries and TED talks are the new books

Reactions: Gromcat
Documentaries and TED talks are the new books
One of my best friends ever (God rest his soul) once said to me, “why read a book, if it’s any good they’ll make a movie out of it.” Dude had a Rank I in education. LOL!

One of my best friends ever (God rest his soul) once said to me, “why read a book, if it’s any good they’ll make a movie out of it.” Dude had a Rank I in education. LOL!
Rank I?

Streaming has really changed the game, especially with TV. Streaming doesn’t rely on advertising to make money, so there’s nowhere near the incentive to drag out a TV series to 20+ episode seasons.

They can bring in just as many viewers with a 6-13 episode season as they could a 20+ episode season. Not as much of a time commitment from actors and crew, story can be condensed instead of drawn out to fill a long season and avoid having to throw in pointless filler episodes. Tell the story you want at your ice and be done with it.

Conversely, there’s incentive to drag it out for more seasons than needed if it’s bringing in subscribers OR there’s less incentive to renew beyond one season if a show isn’t bringing in enough subscribers.

But the positive of that is it becomes less daunting to start a series of you haven’t already, in streaming originals you’re not really going to encounter a series that’s going to take weeks to watch. I see a show that’s got 100+ episodes and I’m like “Don’t really know if I want to invest my time into this if it doesn’t pay off in later seasons.”

It’s kind of the same way with books. I am not a fast reader, really long books can be a bit of a turn off. It’s not like a TV show I can kinda figure out from a trailer or a handful of episodes (or less) if a show is going to be worth my time. To read enough chapters for a book to get an idea of it’s going to be worth sticking with is going to take quite a while.

Rank I?

Streaming has really changed the game, especially with TV. Streaming doesn’t rely on advertising to make money, so there’s nowhere near the incentive to drag out a TV series to 20+ episode seasons.

They can bring in just as many viewers with a 6-13 episode season as they could a 20+ episode season. Not as much of a time commitment from actors and crew, story can be condensed instead of drawn out to fill a long season and avoid having to throw in pointless filler episodes. Tell the story you want at your ice and be done with it.

Conversely, there’s incentive to drag it out for more seasons than needed if it’s bringing in subscribers OR there’s less incentive to renew beyond one season if a show isn’t bringing in enough subscribers.

But the positive of that is it becomes less daunting to start a series of you haven’t already, in streaming originals you’re not really going to encounter a series that’s going to take weeks to watch. I see a show that’s got 100+ episodes and I’m like “Don’t really know if I want to invest my time into this if it doesn’t pay off in later seasons.”

It’s kind of the same way with books. I am not a fast reader, really long books can be a bit of a turn off. It’s not like a TV show I can kinda figure out from a trailer or a handful of episodes (or less) if a show is going to be worth my time. To read enough chapters for a book to get an idea of it’s going to be worth sticking with is going to take quite a while.
Good points.

As for the Rank I question, in education a Rank III is a Bachelor’s degree. A Rank II is a Master’s. A Rank I is a Master’s plus 30 hours. You can get your Rank I in education or administration (to be a principal) or counseling, etc. I have a Rank II, which is required for teachers. I never went for my Rank I as it wasn’t required. Most teachers get a Rank I because it means more money on their paycheck. I‘m not concerned that much about money so I never got a Rank I.

If I ever go back to school, it will be for another career or just the pure enjoyment of learning.

Reactions: J_Dee and Nbacats
I’ve fed you people (0k, partially), for over 40 years. Don’t have a degree, but over 80 hours credit studying AG and Biology. Farmed since late 70’s, and am 61 years old. Had a freak accident a couple years ago and was laid up for months. Long story short, I ain’t got shit, struggling to make bank payments on cattle and equipment. Not complaining, it’s the life I chose. But some of y’all need to get a grip.
Have you tried raising that other Backy cash crop?

I heered there was lotsa money in that.

Just think about all the players you could team up with for NIL to help you sell (and maybe use a little. )

I don’t think your opinion is wrong because of the methods used to teach history. Simply put, we don’t teach it correctly. The educational system is set up K-12 to dumb you down. For example, they’re not going to teach much of anything that doesn’t correlate to meaningless time periods, or political natured events. They’ll teach about the consequences of war, but not the consequences as a result of the Munich agreement (appeasement). Why? Because current political heads want appeasement today. We’re doing it right now.

They don’t want to teach the truth about the civil war or the south, they just want you to know slavery is bad as a means to create and facilitate pandering. Okay…

What I liked about college was the real conversations that are had. It does bring a sort of enlightenment to the table high school doesn’t.

A great example is Nazi Germany (of course). In high school we simply weren’t taught the ins and outs. My history teacher was simply there to tell you Hitler was a right wing fascist. And since my first degree obtained was in the histories, I can tell you that’s simply false. Hitler was not right wing, he wasn’t left wing, he was a racial purists. He didn’t hold an ideology in the sense that we understand it. He simply used a tool.

High schools are terrible because they’re government run. The things my kids learn in private school compared is mind blowing.
hey morg, sorry for reviving a dead thread but what could you tell me about the bolded letters? I am a big civil war buff.

hey morg, sorry for reviving a dead thread but what could you tell me about the bolded letters? I am a big civil war buff.

You’re trying to get me in trouble. Also I was hacked above, that is literally someone else. Rivals is still working on that I’ll let y’all know when it happens so I don’t get banned or anything.

• Wow
Reactions: RunninRichie

Tariffs were a major contributing factor to the civil war.

The south imported goods, high tarrifs were placed on goods and that money basically went north to keep industry afloat. This went on for a decade+. It caused a lot of problems in the south including making it harder for the south to sell cotton goods to England.

I'm know history buff so probably can add nothing else but that...ha.

How the hell does one get their Rivals account hacked? What is there to gain haha.

As for the Civil War, my only contribution is that the northern states still have a heck of a lot of racists.. whether it's out and out racism or that feigned "I'm not racist I just keep black people entirely out of my life" type of racism.

The north is no better than the south in this regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT