ADVERTISEMENT

Can we have a real talk moment (that not many of you will like)

Jan 27, 2023
I’m going to oversimplify a little here, but it’ll still communicate the point. Let’s go back over the last 50 years and look at UK during that time; look at the years when we were the best of the best or very nearly that. During that time there were maybe 3 years in the 70s that qualified, 5 years in the mid to late 90s, 5 years basically beginning with at the 10s, and throw in a couple years in the mid aughts to get a nice round number of 15. (The number comes out to about 15 however you want to evaluate particular decades)

That’s 15 years out of 50 that UK was the top dog or one of the top dogs. That’s a pretty impressive number. And yet, that’s less than 1/3rd of 50 years. What you guys are asking is an Alabama football, UK cheerleading, UConn women’s basketball level of success. If you look across the thousands of Division I sports programs, how many teams do you think achieve that level of success? It’s a nearly impossible feat.

What we have been is a top 25 level program for most of 100 years. That’s rarified air. Enjoy it. And enjoy that this year’s product is way more entertaining to watch than last year’s. Despite the near misses and some of the coaching buffoonery, it’s still a pretty exciting thing.

PS, even with all of the top level NBA talent we’ve churned out, they were still only 18-20 year old kids when they were here. How many of you - even if you were really good at what you did - got things perfect every single time at 18 or 19 years old? How many of you put in a stellar performance every single day?

All the more reason to hire a program building coach and not a handler, not a con artist, not a guy that plays for the name on the back of the jersey, not a guy that chooses meaningless draft picks to titles, not a guy so smug that he exudes scumbag. Go find a real coach. Get this piece of dogshit out of here. Don’t try reasoning this mediocrity by going back to 1974 with your stats. If we truly are the gold standard, btw we aren’t, then we should be in the conversation every year, not losing 12 games or more and limping into March hoping for a 6-10 seed. Face it, we are and will be nothing as long as they allow this clown to hijack the program to line his pockets with kickback cash.

All the more reason to hire a program building coach and not a handler, not a con artist, not a guy that plays for the name on the back of the jersey, not a guy that chooses meaningless draft picks to titles, not a guy so smug that he exudes scumbag. Go find a real coach. Get this piece of dogshit out of here. Don’t try reasoning this mediocrity by going back to 1974 with your stats. If we truly are the gold standard, btw we aren’t, then we should be in the conversation every year, not losing 12 games or more and limping into March hoping for a 6-10 seed. Face it, we are and will be nothing as long as they allow this clown to hijack the program to line his pockets with kickback cash.
And you obviously have general anger management issues. This is a perfect example of why I wouldn’t listen to you people if I were the coach either.

And let me add…to win it all you need the dudes, the dudes who are going to punk the other team and will your team to win basically each and every time. We’ve had Mashburn, and Prince, and Ulis, and Wall and Cousins and still lost games, lost championships. Even with the dudes of dudes, there’s no guarantee, especially when there are three wild cards out there doing their best to make sure certain games go certain ways. Sheppard may be that guy (in two more years) or Dillingham or maybe Booker was or Monk was after another year or two, but you’re looking for perfection in kids that just don’t have that much experience yet. Or you’re looking for someone who wasn’t that good to start with to somehow become that good. This fanbase entitlement and expectations are just WOW. And yes, I go to bed in a bad mood after a loss, sometimes a really bad mood, but life goes on. Apparently, for some of you, this is all you have.

You guys asked for a lot from Cal this year, and guess what, he’s given us most of that. He didn’t come all the way back like we hoped, but it’s not this utter dogshit team that people act like it is. He has tried. And succeeded, some. I will admit, he let things get too bad, before making these changes.

Please allow me for a rebuttal, friend.

I've been here for almost 50 years. Paid my dues as a fan, supported UK thru thick and thin, there's my story. So I am no newcomer...... and I think you have completely missed the point.

You make a valid point, from a certain point of view. Using your own logic, why NOT have an Alabama level of success, or UConn women's success? Hell, UK cheerleading too ! That's CHEERLEADING at Kentucky for God sake ! If those other programs can do it, why should it NOT be the consistently NUMBER ONE program of ALL TIME ? If the cheerleaders here at UK can do it, why not should we demand and expect the best of the basketball program ? But that is a total digression from what the point should be.....

The point is having a team that can consistently WIN the SEC lock stock and barrel, as we always have. BUT NOT with Cal.

The point is having a team that consistently goes deep in the NCAA tournament year in year out ? But not with Cal.

But even that does not go into it enough ...

Here's the real "oversimplification" for those keeping track :

The primary point is this ... we need to have a coach that values Titles and Final Fours and puts TEAM KENTUCKY first. Not the other way around. Cal has always put the cart before the horse. The NBA draft will come to those players that prove themselves as a champion at Kentucky.

Furthermore, I would say that Kentucky should have a program that ALWAYS, every.single.year. has a great shot at winning it all. The very bottom line is : With Cal as coach, we do not have that ... and haven't for a half decade, and still in decline.

I don't really care how you cut it, but to defend the state of the program and/or the coach at this point is beyond ludicrous. The national media sees it. Most importantly, it's a solid 3 out of every 4 Kentucky FANS that see it now as well.

It's not even close. Not even close to the superfriends vs. Legion of Doom days with Tubby around here.

Time to move on from Cal, inject the program with a different attitude from Cal, different philosophy from Cal. Look at how Dan Hurley's philosophy is at UConn. THAT'S what Kentucky needs.

I came to this conclusion almost ten years ago. Watching the 15' team fail ( again, a lot due to Cal's coaching blunders in the now infamous Wisky game.....) and realizing then that kentucky would never make a Final Four with this guy as our coach again.

I've been right for almost ten years now about that, and it is just going downhill from here.

Look at it how you like, but the fact of the matter is : Kentucky's players win IN SPITE of Cal, not because of him, and the program is stagnant and not innovative. Cal is a cancer at this point. It's drifting into obscurity and ignominy as long as we stay with Cal.

I've been here for almost 50 years. Paid my dues as a fan, supported UK thru thick and thin, there's my story. So I am no newcomer...... and I think you have completely missed the point.

You make a valid point, from a certain point of view. Using your own logic, why NOT have an Alabama level of success, or UConn women's success? Hell, UK cheerleading too ! That's CHEERLEADING at Kentucky for God sake ! If those other programs can do it, why should it NOT be the consistently NUMBER ONE program of ALL TIME ? If the cheerleaders here at UK can do it, why not should we demand and expect the best of the basketball program ? But that is a total digression from what the point should be.....

The point is having a team that can consistently WIN the SEC lock stock and barrel, as we always have. BUT NOT with Cal.

The point is having a team that consistently goes deep in the NCAA tournament year in year out ? But not with Cal.

The primary point is this ... we need to have a coach that values Titles and Final Fours and puts TEAM KENTUCKY first. Not the other way around. Cal has always put the cart before the horse. The NBA draft will come to those players that prove themselves as a champion at Kentucky.

Furthermore, I would say that Kentucky should have a program that ALWAYS, every.single.year. has a great shot at winning it all. The very bottom line is : With Cal as coach, we do not have that ... and haven't for a half decade, and still in decline.

I don't really care how you cut it, but to defend the state of the program and/or the coach at this point is beyond ludicrous. The national media sees it. Most importantly, it's a solid 3 out of every 4 Kentucky FANS that see it now as well.

It's not even close. Not even close to the superfriends vs. Legion of Doom days with Tubby around here.

Time to move on from Cal, inject the program with a different attitude from Cal, different philosophy from Cal. Look at how Dan Hurley's philosophy is at UConn. THAT'S what Kentucky needs.

I came to this conclusion almost ten years ago. Watching the 15' team fail ( again, a lot due to Cal's coaching blunders in the now infamous Wisky game.....) and realizing then that kentucky would never make a Final Four with this guy as our coach again.

I've been right for almost ten years now about that, and it is just going downhill from here.

Look at it how you like, but the fact of the matter is : Kentucky's players win IN SPITE of Cal, not because of him, and the program is stagnant and not innovative. Cal is a cancer at this point. It's drifting into obscurity and ignominy as long as we stay with Cal.
Post of the month!

Yeah that’s an oversimplification.

It’s much more than 15 years out of 50 that we’ve been “one of the top programs” as you put it.

You don’t become the winningest program of all time, have more SEC championships than the rest of the league combined, 2nd in NCAA titles, 2nd in F4s, 1st in E8s etc by only being “one of the top programs 15 out of 50 years. You’re description makes us sound like we have UConns history

And you obviously have general anger management issues. This is a perfect example of why I wouldn’t listen to you people if I were the coach either.

And let me add…to win it all you need the dudes, the dudes who are going to punk the other team and will your team to win basically each and every time. We’ve had Mashburn, and Prince, and Ulis, and Wall and Cousins and still lost games, lost championships. Even with the dudes of dudes, there’s no guarantee, especially when there are three wild cards out there doing their best to make sure certain games go certain ways. Sheppard may be that guy (in two more years) or Dillingham or maybe Booker was or Monk was after another year or two, but you’re looking for perfection in kids that just don’t have that much experience yet. Or you’re looking for someone who wasn’t that good to start with to somehow become that good. This fanbase entitlement and expectations are just WOW. And yes, I go to bed in a bad mood after a loss, sometimes a really bad mood, but life goes on. Apparently, for some of you, this is all you have.

You guys asked for a lot from Cal this year, and guess what, he’s given us most of that. He didn’t come all the way back like we hoped, but it’s not this utter dogshit team that people act like it is. He has tried. And succeeded, some. I will admit, he let things get too bad, before making these changes.
Stopped reading at “you people”. I guess you meant Kentucky fans ….

That's your version of over simplifying?

Drop the Wildcats and stick to the bourbon. It seems to be working for you.
I said “a little,” but I give you credit for a good joke. And bourbon is great idea. New bottle of Baker’s by Beam waiting on me.

Last edited:

Nailed it!

I’m going to oversimplify a little here, but it’ll still communicate the point. Let’s go back over the last 50 years and look at UK during that time; look at the years when we were the best of the best or very nearly that. During that time there were maybe 3 years in the 70s that qualified, 5 years in the mid to late 90s, 5 years basically beginning with at the 10s, and throw in a couple years in the mid aughts to get a nice round number of 15. (The number comes out to about 15 however you want to evaluate particular decades)

That’s 15 years out of 50 that UK was the top dog or one of the top dogs. That’s a pretty impressive number. And yet, that’s less than 1/3rd of 50 years. What you guys are asking is an Alabama football, UK cheerleading, UConn women’s basketball level of success. If you look across the thousands of Division I sports programs, how many teams do you think achieve that level of success? It’s a nearly impossible feat.

What we have been is a top 25 level program for most of 100 years. That’s rarified air. Enjoy it. And enjoy that this year’s product is way more entertaining to watch than last year’s. Despite the near misses and some of the coaching buffoonery, it’s still a pretty exciting thing.

PS, even with all of the top level NBA talent we’ve churned out, they were still only 18-20 year old kids when they were here. How many of you - even if you were really good at what you did - got things perfect every single time at 18 or 19 years old? How many of you put in a stellar performance every single day?
Blah, blah, blah. I find the younger people are on here the less they demand excellence of anything. That’s everyone gets a blue ribbon mentality

I’m 76 years young and that’s a mentality that accepts losing as part of life. That’s bull sh#t.

Dan Hurley. - We’re all about ‘we’ and winning the next game and guys, you know, fulfilling their obligation to the team in terms of the role we need them to play. “When the ‘we’ season’s over, we will participate fully in the ‘me’ season with these guys in terms of draft stock and evaluating those things. But, we don’t recruit players based on promising the NBA. We recruit players based on we'll teach you how to be a man, and, and we’re going to show you how to win and succeed. And with those things, the NBA, you know, will come and get you when it’s time.”

Yeah that’s an oversimplification.

It’s much more than 15 years out of 50 that we’ve been “one of the top programs” as you put it.

You don’t become the winningest program of all time, have more SEC championships than the rest of the league combined, 2nd in NCAA titles, 2nd in F4s, 1st in E8s etc by only being “one of the top programs 15 out of 50 years. You’re description makes us sound like we have UConns history
No…you’re just interpreting what I said the way you want to. I said the top of the top in multiple different ways. Sure we’ve been pretty damn good team more than 15 years, but not a really damn good, top 5 team, likely Elite 8 landing team, more than that. That’s what everyone is asking for year after year after year. And that’s an ask that’s very nearly unachievable.

1. Comes in and doesn't define who he's talking to
2. Tries to lower expectations with a bait thread
3. Starts attacking respondents personally ("you people")
4. Condescension and insults

Troll confirmed

Loving that so many people have seen through your condescending tripe.

1. Comes in and doesn't define who he's talking to
2. Tries to lower expectations with a bait thread
3. Starts attacking respondents personally ("you people")
4. Condescension and insults

Troll confirmed
God, I really hate dealing with the lowest common denominator on here. The fans on here make it A LOT less enjoyable to be a UK fan than Cal does. And I know exactly what your response will be, “then stop getting on here.” I mostly don’t, because you all are such a miserable lot. Every now and then I convince myself a civilized discussion can be had here and then get upset at myself when I get baited into coming down to your level.

No…you’re just interpreting what I said the way you want to. I said the top of the top in multiple different ways. Sure we’ve been pretty damn good team more than 15 years, but not a really damn good, top 5 team, likely Elite 8 landing team, more than that. That’s what everyone is asking for year after year after year. And that’s an ask that’s very nearly unachievable.
Basically you're scared of change cal can't get it done you move on and let someone else take the helm were not Indiana

Basically you're scared of change cal can't get it done you move on and let someone else take the helm were not Indiana
Yea, I’ll accept that!

I’m afraid we’ll end up with a worse product if we oust Cal. That’s absolutely true. I hated the Tubby years after the Pitino years. I typically find Cal’s talented young guns exciting and like watching the transformation from beginning to end. I also see what happened to Florida. And see that every time a team like Indiana basketball or Nebraska football tries to fix things they just make them worse. I’ve become risk adverse. Thank for making me sad 😅.

I honestly don’t even agree with the original premise. I started watching in ‘82. We were Elite Eight or better 19 times from ‘82 - ‘19. So half the time.

I would call any Elite Eight team a top team. And that isn’t even taking into account a few of the teams who were capable of a deep run but got knocked out early. 1988 and 2004 (top overall seed) come to mind.

Last edited:

For years that’s exactly what we were viewed as, the Bama of college basketvall and that’s because we had most of the same resources and advantages of a BAMA football.

We had the best tradition in the country. We had the best facilities
We had the best fanbase that let the nation in attendance every year and traveled like no other.
And all of this allowed us to draw the best talent as well.

When you have all those advantages what level of success do you expect but only the best

God, I really hate dealing with the lowest common denominator on here. The fans on here make it A LOT less enjoyable to be a UK fan than Cal does. And I know exactly what your response will be, “then stop getting on here.” I mostly don’t, because you all are such a miserable lot. Every now and then I convince myself a civilized discussion can be had here and then get upset at myself when I get baited into coming down to your level.
Yawn…..🥱 ignore

Cal has the worst 4 year period in terms of losses of any one UK coach with 44 and several games to play this year still…

Worst season ever with only 9 wins….
Missing the tournament , 1st round loss then 2nd round loss is one of the worst 4 year stretches of post season we’ve ever had.

You can’t always be top dog errrrr cat but OP is attempting to manipulate the narrative by acting like we just haven’t been a top program lately and that it just happens even with our past but is avoiding that it’s much much worse than that in that we’ve been in one of the worst times in our history

There it is. The condescension. You bait and then you pounce. Troll.

The NCAA tournament began in 1939. Between 1939 and 1998, UK won 7 national titles. That's 7 titles in 59 years, or one every 8.4 years. Between 1948 and 1998, UK's title to year ration was one title for every 7.1 years. If you remove the probation/forfeit years, it's actually one title every 6.7 years.

Between 1939 and 2012, UK won 8 titles, or one title every 9.1 years (8.6 years if you remove probation years or the 1954 season).

So even at our worst, we're winning a national title every 9.1 years before 2013 ( or 8.8 years if you remove the probation/forfeited seasons).

Historically, UK is averaging:

1. An Elite Eight every 2.1 years (or an Elite Eight every other year). Historically, finishing with an Elite Eight is expected every other year.
2. A Final Four every 4.7 years.
3. A National Title Game appearance every 6.6 years.
4. A National Title every 9.9 years (1939-2021 *counting the Covid year, the two probation years, and the forfeited tournament year).

***Also, some of our fans are quick to point out the "gaps" between titles, but they rarely point out what resulted from those gaps, which was this: multiple head coaching changes happened *because* of the gaps.

The gap between 1978 and 1996 saw *three* different head coaches (one was fired and one was pressured out).

The gap between 1998 and 2012 also saw *three* different head coaches (one was fired and one was pressured out).

Kudos @Son_Of_Saul

Another finger wagging thread from someone looking down at UK fans from their moral high horse...

Sleep Yawn GIF

The NCAA tournament began in 1939. Between 1939 and 1998, UK won 7 national titles. That's 7 titles in 59 years, or one every 8.4 years. Between 1948 and 1998, UK's title to year ration was one title for every 7.1 years. If you remove the probation/forfeit years, it's actually one title every 6.7 years.

Between 1939 and 2012, UK won 8 titles, or one title every 9.1 years (8.6 years if you remove probation years or the 1954 season).

So even at our worst, we're winning a national title every 9.1 years before 2013 ( or 8.8 years if you remove the probation/forfeited seasons).

Historically, UK is averaging:

1. An Elite Eight every 2.1 years (or an Elite Eight every other year). Historically, finishing with an Elite Eight is expected every other year.
2. A Final Four every 4.7 years.
3. A National Title Game appearance every 6.6 years.
4. A National Title every 9.9 years (1939-2021 *counting the Covid year, the two probation years, and the forfeited tournament year).

***Also, some of our fans are quick to point out the "gaps" between titles, but they rarely point out what resulted from those gaps, which was this: multiple head coaching changes happened *because* of the gaps.

The gap between 1978 and 1996 saw *three* different head coaches (one was fired and one was pressured out).

The gap between 1998 and 2012 also saw *three* different head coaches (one was fired and one was pressured out).

Kudos @Son_Of_Saul

All of the above is true but 4 of our 8 titles occurred 65 or more years ago. Let's get real a bit and address that UK hasn't been at its best n the modern era.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
I can't understand why everyone on this board either loves or hates Calipari. I support him because he is the coach of the team I love and have followed for over 60 years. I have supported every coach since Rupp and if Cal is replaced, I will support whoever the new coach is. If we get a new coach, he might be better or he might be worse but i'll be rooting for him because I want my team to do well.

I like the "half a decade" line, trying to make 5 years sound longer than they are, especially with one tournament cancelled. I get the frustration from fans, I'm frustrated too, but you all act like we've been to the final four every years except the last 8. We've had plenty of stretches, with good coaches, where we didn't make a final four. A shot here or there against North Carolina or Auburn in the Elite Eight, are you happy then? Review the history. We have had droughts, when we were close, but didn't make it. Social media just makes certain fans louder. To say 3 of 4 UK fans are against Cal is absolutely false. Maybe 3 out of 4 here, but most people on here don't go to games, don't listen to press conferences, etc. They rely on a few to feed them a distorted view of the crowd at Rupp or what Cal said in his pressers. The last three games people have come on here and complained about something Cal "said" in his post game press conference that he never actually said. So to treat this site as an indication of the normal UK fan is misguided. As someone else said earlier, some of you people act like you have nothing else in your life other than UK basketball. Go spend some time with your kids or grandkids. Try to be a little happier in your life. This isn't life or death.

Man we just won by forty.

What most here aren’t considering is the change in college basketball overall.

Even if cal leaves, we’re not going to get players to stay five years. The portal has ruined that. Kids are looking for guarantees and assurances starting spots. They aren’t grinding as a roll player for three years to get their shot as a junior/senior. As much as I’d love to see players come in and grow and become the best possible college player they can be- that’s just simply not college basketball in 2024

When the right coach is available maybe look at making the move. I don’t see that right coach out there currently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT