ADVERTISEMENT

Here is Why This Week is Huge

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
At this point in the year (as a fan), hard not to look at the overall picture here when talking about seeding and potentially winning a Regular Season SEC Title.

With that- it comes down to performance on the road.

You HAVE to think that this team can and should defend homecourt. That is 9 SEC games (plus Gonzaga) that you SHOULD be able to put in your pocket and feel good about. We know that's not always the case, but this team can and should be able to do that.

So then it comes down to the 9 road games. It's just math at this point- if Kentucky can win 6 of those 9 road games, we probably win the league (that would give us a 15-3 SEC record). Win 5 of them, you have a chance (14-4 SEC record), if you can only win 4 of the 9 road games, you aren't winning the league (13-5 record). You aren't getting a 1/2 seed in the NCAAT either.

So that's why this week is so important- a chance to pick up TWO of those road wins that we need in a 5-day span. Huge.

We already have @ Florida.

Win both this week, we have 3 road wins- and you HAVE to assume that we can beat Vandy on the road, which would take us to 4 road wins in the league.

So essentially, win both this week, and you only need to find/scratch/claw 2 more road wins out to feel good about winning the league and getting a 1/2 seed on Selection Sunday.

You'd be able to say these are wins:

@ Florida
@ South Carolina
@ Arkansas
@ Vandy

And then you need to find 2 more road wins out of:

@ Auburn
@ LSU
@ Miss State
@ Tennessee

Drop one of these games this week, and you suddenly have to win 3 out of those 4 for a chance to win the league and get a 2 seed- which is possible, but not nearly as likely.

This week is huge- I am willing to say that if we can win both games this week, I think we win the league and get at least a 2 seed.

I'm just a fan so I'm allowed to look ahead like this, the team should take it game by game though ;)

Big Week! Let's Go!!

At this point in the year (as a fan), hard not to look at the overall picture here when talking about seeding and potentially winning a Regular Season SEC Title.

You HAVE to think that this team can and should defend homecourt. That is 9 SEC games (plus Gonzaga) that you SHOULD be able to put in your pocket and feel good about. We know that's not always the case, but this team can and should be able to do that.

So then it comes down to the 9 road games. It's just math at this point- if Kentucky can win 6 of those 9 road games, we probably win the league (that would give us a 15-3 SEC record). Win 5 of them, you have a chance (14-4 SEC record), if you can only win 4 of the 9 road games, you aren't winning the league (13-5 record). You aren't getting a 1/2 seed in the NCAAT either.

So that's why this week is so important- a chance to pick up TWO of those road wins that we need in a 5-day span. Huge.

Win both this week, we have 3 road wins- and you HAVE to assume that we can beat Vandy on the road, which would take us to 4 road wins in the league.

So essentially, win both this week, and you only need to find/scratch/claw 2 more road wins out to feel good about winning the league and getting a 1/2 seed on Selection Sunday.

@ Florida
@ South Carolina
@ Arkansas
@ Vandy

@ Auburn
@ LSU
@ Miss State
@ Tennessee

Drop one of these games this week, and you suddenly have to win 3 out of those 4 for a chance to win the league and get a 2 seed- which is possible, but not nearly as likely.

This week is huge- I am willing to say that if we can win both games this week, I think we win the league and get at least a 2 seed.

I'm just a fan so I'm allowed to look ahead like this, the team should take it game by game though ;)

Big Week! Let's Go!!

I don’t look that far ahead or that in depth but I’m glad someone does. 😂 Thanks! Good write up

@ Florida
@ South Carolina
@ Arkansas
@ Vandy

@ Auburn
@ LSU
@ Miss State
@ Tennessee

Big Week! Let's Go!!
I said before the season started we'd go 15-3 in the league. Still feel good about that.

I said before the season started we'd go 15-3 in the league. Still feel good about that.

Hope you are right!

I was not counting Arkansas as a win pre-season, but now it's one we have to win given the state of both programs!

I think South Carolina will be the bigger challenge for sure. They are GOOD.

Reactions: ala_kat2

@ Florida
@ South Carolina
@ Arkansas
@ Vandy

@ Auburn
@ LSU
@ Miss State
@ Tennessee

Big Week! Let's Go!!
I’ve said all year that stealing the game in Knoxville, or Auburn now will be key to winning the SEC this year.

Reactions: Mike-D
I’ve said all year that stealing the game in Knoxville, or Auburn now will be key to winning the SEC this year.

Don't know if we 100% need to, I think 15-3 will get us the SEC crown, but winning one of those two certainly gives us a big leg up in the race assuming we can take care of business this week, and at home.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We have two scrimmage games this week. Good to get the practice in. We won't be threatened either game.

Win both and we probably fall to 8th in the AP poll. While Alabama will move into the top 3 3 because of their modeling.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
Don't know if we 100% need to, I think 15-3 will get us the SEC crown, but winning one of those two certainly gives us a big leg up in the race assuming we can take care of business this week, and at home.
I haven’t seen Auburns schedule but the way they are playing I think we need that W.

Almost gonna have to win at Auburn. We don't get a return game with them.

Almost gonna have to win at Auburn. We don't get a return game with them.

I haven’t seen Auburns schedule but the way they are playing I think we need that W.

I mean let's see!

Auburn might not come to Lex, but they still have to go:

@ Alabama
@ Ole Miss
@ Florida
@ Tennessee
@ Georgia
@ Miss State

Plus having to beat Kentucky, Miss State, Alabama at home.

Not sure Auburn comes out of this season with only 2 or 3 losses- they have yet to play a Q1 game this season.

They are just not very tested at this point.

They have @ Bama and @ Miss State this week, let's see how they do.

Reactions: CGblue and Mike-D
Auburn's remaining schedule

Screenshot-20240122-191810-Chrome.jpg

Auburn's remaining schedule

Screenshot-20240122-191810-Chrome.jpg

Like I posted just above, 3 of their next 4 games are road games in tough, tough environments.

Then have a 4 game stretch of vs. UK, @ UGA, @ Tenn, vs. Miss State later in the year as well.

I am excited to see what Auburn is made of- they have had a very, very easy schedule up to this point.

Reactions: gharding07
Like I posted just above, 3 of their next 4 games are road games in tough, tough environments.

Then have a 4 game stretch of vs. UK, @ UGA, @ Tenn, vs. Miss State later in the year as well.

I am excited to see what Auburn is made of- they have had a very, very easy schedule up to this point.
And 0 quad 1 wins. Very weak resume.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
Hope you are right!

I was not counting Arkansas as a win pre-season, but now it's one we have to win given the state of both programs!

I think South Carolina will be the bigger challenge for sure. They are GOOD.
Huh? USC is "good"? We blow them out in nearly every category. They've played one ranked team and lost (then #24 Clemson). They also lost to Bama 74-47 and Georgia 74-69. ESPN says we have a 63.5% chance of winning this game. We are betting favorites at their place by 4.5 points. I don't get it.

Team Stats​

TEAMPTSPAFG%REBASTBLKSTLSTRK
Kentucky WildcatsUK91.677.250.338.418.95.68.2W2
South Carolina GamecocksSC72.964.643.837.014.73.34.7W1

Reactions: Mike-McD

@ Florida
@ South Carolina
@ Arkansas
@ Vandy

@ Auburn
@ LSU
@ Miss State
@ Tennessee

Big Week! Let's Go!!
Auburn is hot right now. Tennessee has another strong team. Auburn avoids playing us on the road this year and Tennessee avoids playing Auburn on the road this year, but we have to play both on the road. Auburn is the only undefeated team and are in the drivers seat. I am not sure we can afford 3 losses in conference and still win the regular season. But we can agree that we need to win both of these road games this week. Every game is critical from here on out. We can’t hope a certain number of losses gets us the SEC championship.. we have to go out there every game and earn the championship with hard fought victories.

Reactions: KYExtemper
This USC game is HUGE!!!

It gives our team a chance to show how much better we are now with a full roster.

I just want to see better fundamental defense. Big Z was great defending the Post and protecting the rim. Hope his play inspires Bradshaw to pick it up on defense.

We are going to score points, just need to get stops without giving up straight line drives and weakside 3 pters.

I'm thinking the month of February onward is key this year and just about every year to get the best possible seeding. Also 5 of those road games are happening then including Tenn twice, @Vandy, Gonzaga, @Auburn, @LSU, @MSU and Bama.

Huh? USC is "good"? We blow them out in nearly every category. They've played one ranked team and lost (then #24 Clemson). They also lost to Bama 74-47 and Georgia 74-69. ESPN says we have a 63.5% chance of winning this game. We are betting favorites at their place by 4.5 points. I don't get it.

Team Stats​

TEAMPTSPAFG%REBASTBLKSTLSTRK
Kentucky WildcatsUK91.677.250.338.418.95.68.2W2
South Carolina GamecocksSC72.964.643.837.014.73.34.7W1

You are confusing "good" with "Great", or "Elite".

We are "Great"/"Elite"...but you do not get to be 15-3 like South Carolina without being a good team.

And good teams beat great teams at home all the time.

Hell, average or "just okay" teams beat elite teams at home all the time (UCF and WVU beating Kansas, Northwestern and Nebraska beating Purdue, etc.).

Reactions: CGblue

We only play UGA once this year.

@ Florida
@ South Carolina
@ Arkansas
@ Vandy

@ Auburn
@ LSU
@ Miss State
@ Tennessee

Big Week! Let's Go!!
Good work!

@ Florida
@ South Carolina
@ Arkansas
@ Vandy

@ Auburn
@ LSU
@ Miss State
@ Tennessee

Big Week! Let's Go!!
In order to be in the discussion of a possible #1 seed come March, we have to beat Auburn and TN once. Winning at TN is about as hard as winning at Duke. I know they can do it, happened last year, but that's the last game of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT