ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where? Surely you're not claiming Kili is mountaineering. It's high-altitude hiking. That's not the same as mountaineering.
Why isn't it? Jesus Christ. Look up boranco wall. It's a f*cking 19k mountain. It's not extreme but it's more than hiking bub. Lohtse is scary but it does not require an expert climber once it's roped. You know enough to realize the climbing skill level needed for this. Endurance, luck and altitude are way more important on that mountain. That's the entire point. If you argue that you're just wrong.

PTI (pti) skewing more things and adding his own narative. Never said I could do it. Said I'd have no interest in trying. But if someone like you or I wanted to they could with less than 2 years of training... IF time and money were no issue. As the article stated this is happening everyday.

You couldn't climb K2 or North Face of Matterhorn with 5+ years.

Ursch, you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Done with this convo. By all means continue changing the convo all you want though.

Reactions: TheySoSensitive
Saw a statistic of Annual Fatality Rate by profession 2000-2010 (deaths per 100,000)

Miners 25
Commercial fishermen 124
Alaska bush pilot 287
US military in Iraq 335
Everest Sherpa 1,215

Yep, sounds easy.

Reactions: drxman1
Lol, "no thrills" has nothing to do with good food or BBQ.

Couldn't care less where you've been in North Carolina, completely different genre of Q -- Feast is good food. You're just irritated that it's a clean restaurant and run by a NYC CIA grad who decided to quit fancy food and do smoked meat, which is his passion.

The food there is great, no better (or worse) than pretty much any other BBQ place, except he offers tacos & unique sides other than your standard baked beans & marginal mac that your favorite holes bring...pretty much exactly like your beloved Hammerheads minus the burgers, really.

You also think everywhere in Louisville other than Jack Fry's, Pat's, or anywhere that serves anything but "Meat & 3" sucks "because I've been all over Charleston"...[eyeroll]

You should move back there. :100points:

In the meantime, it warms my heart that your lass drags you to all these miserable dining experiences around town every other weekend. :smiley:

Last edited:
Why isn't it? Jesus Christ. Look up boranco wall. It's a f*cking 19k mountain. It's not extreme but it's more than hiking bub. Lohtse is scary but it does not require an expert climber once it's roped. You know enough to realize the climbing skill level needed for this. Endurance, luck and altitude are way more important on that mountain. That's the entire point. If you argue that you're just wrong.

I'm familiar with the Barranco Wall. I have a 2-hour documentary on my DVR that follows the entire route up Kili. There are tons of hikes in California that require similar scrambling over rocky sections. Several I've done. The only thing Kili has is the elevation. Otherwise, it's not much different than lots of hikes in California or Colorado.

It's still a far different endeavor climbing, say, Mt Rainier. Even though Rainer is a good 5,000+ feet shorter than Kili, it's a far more technically challenging climb. Requires ropes, helmet, crampons, ice axe, ability to self-arrest if needed, climbing through snow/ice/glaciers, etc. To me, mountaineering means those things.

Hiking, trekking, backpacking can be challenging in their own way, but they don't require those things.

Feast BBQ is awesome...certainly kicks the shit out of your "hole in the wall" FABD. That place is bogus as touch.

I'm all for hole-in-the-wall places...typically when it comes to Mexican, BBQ, Burgers/Diners, and even Pizza, they are usually the best.

That place is terrible.

A crowded place, cool atmosphere, cheap beers, worn down building, and shitty service -- while usually a winning combination -- can't shine through that horribly run operation.

Special shout out to Patrick's next door, equally as awful.

-Haven't had Joella's yet...like to give places time to get their feet wet, and the crowds to settle down -- but numerous Nashville Hot Chicken vets/experts seem to agree it's pretty damn close.

Another option coming soon behind L&N (1860).

Actually had Hattie B's Medium & 400 Degrees (400 Degrees level) Eli weekend for the first time. Reheated, but awesome....but the 400 Degrees was absolutely miserable, and I worship hot shit. 2 bites and I was touched for an hour. Hot is good...so hot it makes you feel like you're dying inside ---> not good.

FABD is turrible.

If you don't like Feast then you can get pumped. Nice spot, good bourbon slushes.

Smoketown is pretty good too. Crown jewel of hipster restaurants is Hammerheads. So tasty. Need to organize a small guys night there after work since it is a few minutes away.

Rack the pulled pork take. Smoking 25 lbs of it this weekend for a surprise party for my mom. People will love it while I couldn't give two shits about it.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
To be fair, I'm making an incomplete conclusion. I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say the last 3 times I've been there they've said "Oh, we're out of wings, brisket, ribs, etc, etc"

...we still have pulled pork though.

#nothanks -- I can make that myself or buy something similar at Kroger and microwave it.

I mean seriously, it's a joke. I fully get the "when we're out, we're out" philosophy MANY BBQ joints live by...it makes sense to anyone who's cooked BBQ themselves.

But this has been on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday early afternoons, their prime times. They're a restaurant (supposedly). Not like I've walked in at closing time on a Sunday night or whatever.

-And yeah, Feast has their weekly bourbon special -- it's pure Kentucky in that place. Just another example of Richie trying too hard to be anti-whatever he's trying to be anti...which rarely makes any sense whatsoever. :weary:

The irony of it all is that his FAVORITE place, Hammerheads, is the rudest & most "hipsterish" place in town, and I'm not sure it's close. Keep waiting for a tatted-up handlebar-mustached server to spit a Nitro Milk Stout in his face and ruin the place for him, but somehow it hasn't happened yet.

Lucky rascal!

Last edited:
Reactions: IsRichieGonnaStart
False, Wodie.

Feast is marginal at best when it comes to BBQ. You're a hype man so it's no surprise you drink that Kool Aid. Some genres of food are more about substance than sizzle, including legit BBQ. It's not about what NYC CIA grad is doing this or that... Either BBQ joints have "it" or they don't. That place simply doesn't. Dry BBQ pork and small sides..WHO CARES. ITS NULU! OMG, EVEN FERNANDO WOULD APPROVE.

To be fair, I'm making an incomplete conclusion. I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say the last 3 times I've been there they've said "Oh, we're out of wings, brisket, ribs, etc, etc"

...we still have pulled pork though.

#nothanks -- I can make that myself or buy something similar at Kroger and microwave it.

I mean seriously, it's a joke. I fully get the "when we're out, we're out" philosophy MANY BBQ joints live by...it makes sense to anyone who's cooked BBQ themselves.

But this has been on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday early afternoons, their prime times. They're a restaurant (supposedly). Not like I've walked in at closing time on a Sunday night or whatever.

Richie sucks.

Yep service is awful. When everything is out and you have to get the pulled pork it tastes boiled.

i fully admit i know NOTHING about climbing mount everest. well, almost nothing. my knowledge threshold is just barely above the demarcation line of knowing that "it requires no technical skill" is absurd, particularly coming from a dude whose sense of adventure involves making an on the spot dice spin on which 5 star restaurant to dine at on vacation.

you're a fool, btw.

Never been to the brand new NULU location...he was in Indiana for years before he decided to open a 2nd location....Feast has great FOOD...you've been there one time, got your little pulled pork sambo, and came away pissed off because it was served on nice dinnerware. [laughing]

I get it, trust me. You're pretty easy to figure out, bub.

Feast sucks. Seviche sucks. Basa sucks. Varanese sucks. 610 Sucks. Corbett's sucks. Anywhere with a legit chef, sucks...except for Jack Fry's, it's just classic!

GO TO PATS MEAT AND THREE FTW IT'S CLASSIC AND THE SOUS CHEF IS A SR. AT BALLARD!

i fully admit i know NOTHING about climbing mount everest. well, almost nothing. my knowledge threshold is just barely above the demarcation line of knowing that "it requires no technical skill" is absurd, particularly coming from a dude whose sense of adventure involves making an on the spot dice spin on which 5 star restaurant to dine at on vacation.

you're a fool, btw.
never said it requires no technical skill. In fact I said you would need 3-4 training courses at least for a reputable company to take you. Which are 5-8 day skills courses at altitude directed by expert climbers for most companies to take you. I said it can and has been climbed literally hundreds of times times by non-expert climbers.

Read this. Exactly what I'm saying. Tons of people that don't belong there but still make it. Hence me saying rich slubs getting drug up the mountain. There's a reason this is happening on Everest and not K2, because the commercial routes are not technically advanced to the point these idiots can't climb. They're just enough that it makes the place even more dangerous. It's actually the balance that they're trying to fight, although money will win out in the end because it's a 3rd world area. The dumbasses with money and egos forget the real issue which is altitude and weather. The one thing you can't prepare for and effects everyone different. A fat slob may be fine and and Olympic athlete might be a disaster. Altitude is different for everyone and each time you're there.

It can and is done every year by nonexpert climbers. Obviously not a good idea but that's what everyone is all upset about. Still though being an expert climber wouldn't help you in most problems up there. And even recently it hasn't helped save people from the disasters. Avalanche and ice collapse the past 2 years. 2 most deadly years on the mountain. Both before base camp 1 which is 9k feet below the summit. Ice collapse killed a dozen sherpas. Not because they didn't know how to climb. Avalanche killed a bunch at frigging base camp. No climbing necessary to get there really. 96 was due to an epic storm and really guides dragging a few non-experts to the top and pushing the limits to summit. None of them due to climbing expertise.

Everest has always been a trophy, but now that almost 4,000 people have reached its summit, some more than once, the feat means less than it did a half century ago. Today roughly 90 percent of the climbers on Everest are guided clients, many without basic climbing skills.

Mountain climbing is stupid. Next topic.

Pulled pork is all the same? Ridiculous. Someone is trying to hard. Pizza! It's ALL THE SAME!
Your nope earlier was rather emphatic. Have you heard any rumblings? And why is Apple struggling? Other than people doubt they can continue to sell hundreds of millions phones.

Can't help thinking about Anth the mountaineer showing up to hike Kila in a deerskin suit, flintlock muzzleloader, and coonskin cap.

You can tell Feast is hip and delicious just by its name. So meta.

-Last word, I operated under the assumption it was understood, "you could attempt the climb and not automatically assume you'd be successful(less than 50% success rate for all climbers)" and "technical" was a relative term to the sport. Crazy thing about Everest is women actually have a higher success rate. Maybe because you have more skilled women and less ego involved but cool none the less. Similar to how in endurance sports the gender gap closes the longer the event.

-Smoked chili last night. It's phenomenal. 2lbs of chuck, 1 lb of chorizo, 1 lb of Italian sausage. Smoked with pecan. Vacuum sealed and going to sit in fridge until Saturday. High hopes.

-Looks like next week is back to good fall weather. 70/50 and sun. F*ck this sh*t.

-So MCF had no reason to not go to Oktoberfest with his wife(who is there now) and her family. Quick trip over, work isn't busy, the Ironman he's staying for is likely going to get cancelled and he's not really trained hard for it. Dude, is a masochist.

-So I'm obviously an asshole for assuming Gabriel would have a thick accent based on pictures. Completely shocked he sounded normal. Goodman loves him, says he's a great kid. Fox+Monk. Leggo.

-G is getting big. Dude is a little pimp. Keep dreaming that he just randomly starts having in depth conversation or blurts out long difficult words. He hasn't but he's way more alert and he's dropped the Mora Reflex which almost brought me to tears when I realized he hadn't done it in awhile last night. :cry:

-Not a fan of most BBQ joints, because the industry as a whole serves dried out crap, but Blue Door does it as well as any I've ever had. Pretty difficult to serve that stuff and not dry it out. Once it's cut and pulled you're on borrowed time.

-Am looking forward to a more scaled down intimate tailgate tomorrow. No stress with the game. Off week coming up to clean up the diet and refocus.

Mora Reflex

jim-mora-playoffs.jpg

Got a conference in Austin in the spring, going a day early to stand in line at Franklin's. I've been told it is worth it. Can't wait to see for myself.

Ah yes, it's that time of year, when men start pulling these out of their closets. Spotted the first one of the year today.
617nTQnt0wL._UX385_.jpg

[laughing] Whiskey Chic.

Richie just tries wayyyyy too hard to 'keep it real'. Can't get over the hipster pretention of the above menu of smoked meat, tater tots, and tacos that could fit on a postcard. Such a shame they offer a great bourbon selection to go along with, I can see why that would turn you off. I hate places that have bars & celebrate bourbon.

You're a clown.

Got my flu shot Wednesday and now I'm sick. Any correlation?

Doesn't get more pretentious than tater tots, IMO. And don't get me started on corn dogs. F***ing Thomas Keller has driven those things into the ground.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
* Never been to Feast but the beer hall they are opening next door where you can bring your own food (or Feasts) in, seems right up my alley. I get perturbed at how hard they push the "NuLu" name, but the East Market area is nice.

* My wife was hammered within 2 hours of stepping off the plane this morning in Munich and has been drunk texting me since. Not very enthused that I am not part of this whole trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT