ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this day and age of college basketball, the right coach along with the transfer portal could build a solid roster very quickly at a program like KY just like Cal did when he brought in the mega Freshman class his first year at UK. If Cal jumps ship and takes his class with him minus Sheppard then so be it. I'll take an average year or 2 if it means getting back to the pinnacle again soon because it isn't happening with Cal.

five championship coaches. This program has room for error when it comes to hiring. We’ve been out coached against the blue bloods since cal has been here. This program was able to hide his coaching flaws and bring him a championship. It’ll do the same for oats, muss, or whoever the next coach is.

We won’t make another BCG mistake

Is it too much to ask of a college basketball coach to know and understand all things basketball?

Recruiting and roster management aside, a coach should be able to teach man, zone, press, PnR, OOB plays etc etc.

That’s where I’m at with it. Anyone have that resume? Sign ‘em up!

Crean would have only 2 losses with this squad… that’s saying a lot about the stylings of JVC.

I remember early in Cal’s tenure they showed footage of his pre game speech to the players.

He wrote on the board and said, “we shoot 50%, get 10 steals, and some other stat and we will be fine”. At the time, I loved how easy he made it seem. Now I wonder if he still does that and think how far we are away from utilizing scouting reports and analytics.

I assume Oats is content at Alabama- they've delivered on all hes asked for- including building a new venue. It's also a much more driven, outgoing AD here. But he's making around $3.5M/Yr right now as I recall.

Meanwhile we are paying John almost $9M a year, to dick around and wear sweatpants and whatever. Surely an even $5M offer would be a good starting point Oats or whoever the next guy is.

I'm not a financial expert but I have seen a trend repeatedly that people like money.

The issue in getting Oats won't be money.

The issue in getting Oats will be timing.

The guy will probably be the first call when Izzo and/or Boeheim hangs it up. Oats has strong ties to both areas, and neither place has a natural successor lined up.

I don't think Syracuse has the money to be that much of a better situation than Bama, but MSU certainly does.

That's why I said "timing". If Cal hangs on another couple of years, but Izzo or Boeheim retire after THIS year, Oats may jump at one of those spots (specifically MSU).

Didn't say either of them was a better job. Just a calendar issue, IMO. If all three are open at the same time, it's a no-brainer.

Yeah I definitely like Sampson more than maybe I should, but I just love the teams he assembles and the grit the dude has. Like, he would kill for a championship at Kentucky. Hell, he might get one at Houston this year. I know his age is a factor but give me 6-7 years and I’m good. I’m FOR hiring desperate and hungry mercenaries once a decade. Idk anything about his son/CIW deal, but obviously I don’t think he’d demand that at Kentucky?

Oats would be great as well. Jay Wright would be hilarious and would probably be the best option in terms of getting Kentucky great again immediately, I just don’t see it happening, unfortunately.

The salary won't be an issue but what about the buyout for a new coach? Every agent is going to ask for the Calipari deal, you don't.have to get it to them but they know we've done it before.

I assume Oats is content at Alabama
I don't know anything about the guy, but an easy litmus test on whether you're the guy for Kentucky or not is if you would stay at Alabama because you're doing okay there when f*cking Kentucky comes calling, then you were meant to be at Alabama and NOT at Kentucky. That wouldn't even be a slight to the guy. Home/work balance and know thyself and whatnot. But Kentucky isn't for anyone who doesn't crave the biggest possible stage.

Saban on Gameday. Although I think he’s a cock, you’d never have John on after his NIT’s and losing seasons. God, what a joke he is.

I’m not super sold on Oats. Dude hasn’t ever been past the sweet sixteen, his style is extremely live and die by the 3, and last year they were picked to be 2nd in the SEC and went 9-9 and lost in the 1st round of the SEC and NCAA. I’m sure he’s a pipe dream but Vogel would be my first call. Also really intrigued by the new Arizona coach who made it to the sweet 16 his first year and plays an exciting offense. An exciting style of play is just as important as anything else to me at this point.

HAVING SAID THAT if Oats style has matured and they make a decent run this year I’m perfectly fine with him being next coach. Musselman seems like a complete weirdo, no thanks.

Reactions: Col. Angus
guy glory GIF

Gotta be honest...it is fun to see the rest of the country, particularly the B10, hate/envy the SEC. I won't be mad at a Georgia win.

Conversely, living in DFW I've got to pull for the Frogs. Really a no lose situation.

Thinking 38-20 UGA unfortunately.

Reactions: Kennedy_UK
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT