ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much the death of Joe B. Hall has contributed to Cal's struggles. They were close and I always felt like Hall acted as a sort of mentor for Cal at UK.

mit.jpg

With the right hire, our new 'class' + portal would be just fine, certainly enough to make us competitive right away.

If you look around, pretty much everyone but a few teams are struggling and dropping head-scratchers on a nightly basis. There are a handful of teams who look pretty good, but overall, There is barely any separation at all from 1-30. There is no dominant team, or even close.

Muss just put together what, a 10 deep squad in 2 months at Arkansas? McMahon did the same at LSU.

So would any top tier/hungry coach at Kentucky. I'd love to see this class play ball here, those two guards are dynamic -- but it's not something to worry about or hold off for. This thing is broken.

Last edited:
Muss is my #1 pick because he's created elite teams from essentially nothing 3 years in a row. Plus, he's got 2 five star guys he could bring along if Wanger, Edwards, Dillingham, Bradshaw went to Texas.

Theoretically every single player on this years roster could come back if they wanted to play for a new coach and the new coach wanted them.

You think Cal kills you with coach speak. . . wait until the Muss Bus arrives (hypothetically) in Lexington. T-shirt cliche after t-shirt cliche. As long as he's winning, it will be tolerable. But if not . . . bridge jumping will become the Commonwealth's favorite past-time.

You think Cal kills you with coach speak. . . wait until the Muss Bus arrives (hypothetically) in Lexington. T-shirt cliche after t-shirt cliche. As long as he's winning, it will be tolerable. But if not . . . bridge jumping will become the Commonwealth's favorite past-time.
I'd love to hear your unfiltered thoughts on the situation.

Cal was perfect for UK when hired but that was 14 years ago. That is a long-ass time - especially in this job.

Here's the thing about that...I don't buy the "this job ages you in dog years" shit Cal has spewed, and inevitably will again when he leaves. You win, we love you. And if you quit winning, we'll give you a relatively long leash to get it back (despite how the media portrays BJW).

Unlike the end of Tubby's era, Cal still has plenty of energy and the ability to recruit at the level needed to win titles. It's just that he's so pathologically stubborn that he refuses to adapt his style to reflect the modern game solely because other people are saying he should. And thus, we're at a schematic disadvantage almost every time we take the court.

Cal always needs an enemy, and right now the fanbase is it. If Texas comes close to what he's guaranteed for the next few years here, he'll bounce and become hell bent on proving to us he was right.

Last edited:
I did absolutely NOTHING in the month of March except trawl Cat Paw and watch a damn door my junior year of college. My roommate thought I was insane. In retrospect, yes, but damn it was fun at the time.
She probably thought you were into furry BDSM from all the pictures of werewolves with chainsaw penises, too.

• Haha
Reactions: pretzel__logic
Oats just seems so perfectly suited to coach UK going forward that I'll be crushed if it doesn't happen.

Of course, the last person I said that about was John Calipari, so it's quite possible I don't know shit.

Your hunch was right. The first 8 years of Cal (2013 aside) was damn near optimal. We hit some bumps but also witnessed some amazing basketball/players and picked up a chip along the way.

Can Oats get that done here? I'd like to think so and feel like he'd be my #1 if a gun is to my head.

I'd love to hear your unfiltered thoughts on the situation.
Simply put, he is the Dabo Swinney of college basketball. Had to stop following his twitter account as well as some of his assistants/coaching tree. A barrage of cliched motivational poster lingo.

It could just be a "me" thing. I just want someone here that will, BY GOD GET THINGS DONE. Coach this program to some wins and make a run at the big boy on a consistent basis. Have a little pride in the PROGRAM.

We don't need another hero. We need a coach!

Oats has a resume like Tubby did before taking the Kentucky job -- sustained results at multiple programs (including a basic bitch SEC program) that suggest he's not some Stan Heath, etc flash in the pan who got hot one tournament. He's also 48 years old.

The only thing that would give me pause is recency bias where we overrate someone based on a recent ass-whipping.

Reactions: pretzel__logic
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT