ADVERTISEMENT

Official Red Wine Review and Discussion Thread

what I find wild about my tongue. I use to drink a crap ton of beer. When I switched to red. It killed my beer tongue. Still have a few from time to time but damn. Red wine to me is like the nectar from God
That may have happened to me too. Used to be much more into beers. Now I don't really care as much. Just give me my Cabernet. Haha I used to always drink beer with pizza but now I've just switched that over to just having a Cabernet with pizza. Beyond just the taste, I just feel much better after drinking red wine than I do beer. I don't really get much of a headache from my Cabernets either, regardless of how much I drink. Not sure if lucky enough to be getting low tannin bottles or what.

I’ve long been a believer in relative value. Is a $10 bottle twice as good as a $5 bottle? Absolutely! Is a $20 bottle twice as good as the $10? Probably. Is the $40 bottle twice as good again? Doubtful, imo.

Most I’ve spent is $25 on a Decoy brand Merlot. Good stuff. But I wouldn’t do that as an every weekend wine.
Law of diminishing returns.

Drunk GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

The GYERO trip to wine country was one for the ages last fall. We visited/tasted the following wineries:

TOR - “cult” wine but I swear each pour tasted the same and isn’t worth the price IMO.
Schramsberg - my fave sparkling is their blanc de noirs. Love the Cremant as well. It’s a little sweet but a nice change of pace. Total Wine carries it.
Viader - Howell Mountain reds are delicious. Joined this wine club.
Sosie - small Sonoma winery. Good wines that were on the “cheaper” side compared to other places we visited. I like the Charles Smith cab.
Hamel - love their Isthmus wine (blend) and have been a club member since 2019. When we visited the “client ambassador” was from Kentucky and she treated us like royalty.

I love all the cabs Cakebread puts out but especially the Dancing Bear Cabernet (2018 especially).

I started liking wine when I worked at Nadine’s in college. Then me and @anthonys735 went to Napa in 2006 not long after we started dating. Back again in 2019. Then with the group trip, me and @drxman1 got involved in researching alllll the wines. He is obsessed. His favorite is Krupp Brothers.

I do like the Josh sparking rosè. Also Corner Wine in Lexington carries a sparkling rosè of Malbec that’s under $20… Reginato.

I want the next group trip to be to Champagne, France. We shall see.

I really love The Prisoner Red, It just takes a dinner out to another level. It is a little pricey, nice for a change, now and then. Especially when paired with steak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT