ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we on the path to Cal leaving UK where he becomes the villain again, opening the door for Pitino to get back on our good graces? That would be a wild turn of circumstances.

Reactions: bradyjames
I'm trying real hard to not have basketball takes Randoms:

- Ended up splitting the championship in my fantasy football league. I was ahead by 25 points going into the Monday Night Game and my opponent had Josh Allen. Had that game been completed, I would have probably lost so when the opportunity to split 1st and 2nd place money was presented, I thought that was extremely fair.

Meanwhile, the Yahoo league acknowledges me as Champ! I've been playing for 20+ years. My awful luck with injuries has been documented; it even spilled over into the real world and the teams I've coached! So it's only fitting that I win a championship in that way. Unreal.

- My best friend since before Pre-K is losing his father. My buddy was actually in Cincy for that MNF game the other night. As he was leaving the stadium he got a call that his father had a massive stroke and the prognosis isn't good. So he took in quite a bit in a 30 minute span. Emotional overload.

- Does the sun ever shine in Lexington December - March? My daughter actually asked that question when we were leaving the UK/UL game last week. I reflected on it and couldn't really recall any sunshine in those winter months. That first warm, sunny day in March is always a jolt! With no hope for March basketball excitement, I hope the weather and Keeneland's spring meet will be enough to get the co-eds over the hump this year.

- SmartFood White Cheddar Popcorn (those black bags) has replaced all other snacks as the "Once you start, you can't stop" King of the World.

Top 5 can't stop once you start snacks:
5. Original Doritos
4. Cheez-Its (extra toasty)
3. Chex party mix (homemade variety)
2. Lay's BBQ potato chips
1. SmartFood White Cheddar popcorn

- Mashburned was sort of ridiculed during in-game redass the other day, but he makes a good point - This UK team isn't that talented. Last year's team is 10 - 15 points better than this one.
Kellen Grady and TyTy >>>>>>> CJ and Reeves
Brooks >>>>>>>> Toppin
Hopkins >>>>>>>>> Ware/Livingston/Collins et. al
Oscar is a below the rim post player with 15 ft. shooting range and limited lateral mobility (I think the knee injury is responsible some of this; he's much worse trying to hedge going to his left than his right. Of course hedging left is the right hand drive for the guard).
Wheeler is Wheeler. I think he's fine, but his problem is he is the sole person on the team that can create. He has to create for himself, and he has to create for others because they can't create for themselves.

In order for this team to have a pulse is for Wallace to take over. Maybe he can create, maybe not? He needs the ball though. Let him cook. It's desperation time now.

- Crap, broke my promise. That's it. I'm not going to talk about them any more.

Just went to a new coffee shop/cafe for the first time. When paying, the auto tip options were….

3%
5%
7%

…..WTF? They must hate their employees.

Big swinging dick over here gave them $2.

Reactions: roguemocha
-Is it? I know the fan base is upset but I just don't see any resolution in the near future. Cal isn't one to tuck tail and run. Barnhart isn't firing him. This could be a Syracuse situation. Fans can pine for new coach, we're stuck unless an awful NBA team saves us.

-Hope y'all got paid Saturday. If it's a single digit line vs UT might ass well double what you made this weekend. I'm too big a p*ssy to bet against the Cats. Oh well.

-"It looks like a mistake when UK scores." - Dykes only good line in history.

-"We wanted to make them quit" - Nate Oats 😍

-Nearing the half way point and still no set lineup, identity(well positive identity), and firmly on the bubble. With sharks circling.

-So the NFL went from trying to resume a game after a player died on the field to holding prayer vigils before every game and promoting the story as much as they can? That league is soulless.

-Reeves is averaging 21mpg and is still our 3rd leading scorer. Averaging 15mpg since Conference play started. While your other shooter has been injured his minutes have actually significantly decreased. Saturday he got gifted 13 minutes in the first half, only because of Wallace's 2nd foul, and he scored half our points in the first half. So what happened in the 2nd half? He got 8 minutes(still got 10 more points). Lol. That's what's been going on for years. He doesn't value scoring if the guy is a defensive liability unless that player is a big. Which is hilarious because our D is atrocious this year.

20 points in 21 minutes and is buried on the bench. Other minutes/Points: Toppin 25m/3pts, Wallace 23m/ 2pts, Livingston 23m/4pts, Theiro 18m/0pts, Collins 15m/4pts, Oscar 23pts/4pts.

Idk when it happened exactly, but we’ve had some real talentless squads for years now.

When you’re billing Olivia Sarr as a OAD star…..something is seriously wrong. That’s just one obvious example, we’ve had many of those guys. For crying out loud, we had a stretch where we trotted out Quade Green, Devin Askew….what the shit actually happened here? Coach Cal, the #1 undisputed King of OAD PGs…

And idk who said this, but it was told and retold to me, some writer pinpointed the U19 USA debacle as the end of Cal. It was when, according to him, WWW officially distanced himself from Cal, and WWW along with Lebron pushed Zion to Coach K. Zion also publicly shat on Cal after Team Canada whipped them.

This is why I wanted the mfer fired years ago. If Cal is no longer getting alllllll the OAD talent, he’s done. He’s quit coaching, and he needs to be fired. Ain’t nobody hired Cal because he’s such a great in game coach and motivator. He’s likely one of the worst coaches out there. It just didn’t matter because nobody was on the same planet as him as far as getting talent. It wasn’t even fair. It’s why everyone cried about him “cheating”, maybe he was, maybe not, but it seemed that way because it just didn’t make sense that one coach could recruit allllllll the top talent.

Reactions: 911guy
And idk who said this, but it was told and retold to me, some writer pinpointed the U19 USA debacle as the end of Cal. It was when, according to him, WWW officially distanced himself from Cal, and WWW along with Lebron pushed Zion to Coach K. Zion also publicly shat on Cal after Team Canada whipped them.

I've heard this before as well, and while I don't know for a fact that it's not true, I know I sat about 4 seats away from WWW at that UK/Duke bloodbath in Indy in 2018. Wes was reacting and getting on the refs as if he was 100% in UK's corner. At least he was in the first half...nothing mattered in the second half.

He's certainly an influential guy, but I think his involvement in recruiting classes is way overblown. I definitely don't think that Wes has anything to do with why Cal has sucked out loud for the past five years.

Are we on the path to Cal leaving UK where he becomes the villain again, opening the door for Pitino to get back on our good graces? That would be a wild turn of circumstances.

Get back on our good graces? Sure.

Come back as head coach, as I've heard some (not in GYERO) suggest? Hope not.

It's been well-documented that most coaches who have an initial run of success at a place have a really hard time replicating that success the second time around. In college football, Greg Schiano, Bobby Petrino, and Randy Edsall are recent examples of guys who couldn't recapture the magic. Bill Snyder has probably come the closest to having a run as successful as his first.

It doesn't happen as much in college hoops, or least it doesn't seem to. Sean Miller is an outlier, and he'll kill it at Xavier, imo. We'll see how Steve Prohm turns out at Murray State.

Happy New Year everyone.

Cal's ego is the only thing that will drive him to leave, and it will be interesting as to how he will handle Rupp arena fans booing him and publicly showing their displeasure. As a narcissist, he'll blame everyone but himself but sitting on that coaching seat with the verbal heat on will get to him. And it's coming.

As for me, great holiday season and having my adult kids around is always a blessing and a pleasure. Hate to see them go back to college/work but satisfying knowing that as adults they are excelling in their own lives.

Oldest got married this fall, beautiful wedding and they are a great match together. Can't imagine what it's like having a daughter married to an asshole. Grateful.

Have been dating a really good woman for the past six months, so different being in a healthy relationship after a couple of decades of drama and BS. Eye opening really. Again, grateful.

In Nashville for another week then packing everything up for more travel. Starting off with a week or so checking out the Mississippi Blues scene, then on to the Louisiana Bayou for a week or two in the swamps, move on towards SE Texas coast, across southern Texas and end up in the Grand Canyon area and all the national parks out west for late Spring and Summer. Probably head back East after that and may settle down.

Life IS good, enjoy the ride.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for Pitino. I'm saying if I had a choice between the two, I'd take Pitino. But they're both dinosaurs and need to retire.

Reactions: 80 Proof
It's a damn shame that this shit team disgraced the Rodney Dent road blues. Those were beautiful.

Cal is done. Nothing is worse than Kyrie Elzy and her big ass forehead though. She's lucky nobody gives a damn about women's ball. Terrible.

I don't know who the replacement will be but I'd be damn near fine with anyone over Cal. It's sad that it came to this but ever since he shit on Nike, it's been downhill with the exception of a year or two. I miss the days of Lebron visiting and WWW taking the Davis family to every spot on Bourbon St during the SEC tourney in 2012.

The werewolf has definitely lost his chainsaw cock.

Last edited:
Reactions: jayroon
If Mitch is allowed to make the hire, Eli has to put checks and balances in place to “supervise” him.

Buddy of mine told me this wknd, he has heard that Mitch is close to retirement anyhow. He’s been right on a few things before but this was new news to me.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Kyle Tucker was just on 680am. He cautioned fans to not get too caught up in the incoming class for next year. It’s not a Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe type of class that can come in and make an immediate major impact and fix the everything. Wagner is not a John Wall level talent and Bradshaw has a high ceiling but will take time. He pointed out that not all #1 classes are created equally.

I'm attending a conference in Fairfax, VA that starts tomorrow and had to get the red eye that left BF early this morning. I've got a day to kill in a hotel so I went to the grocery store next door. The guy who checked me out saw my Kentucky hat and mentioned the ass whipping on Saturday. He had a thick Boston accent and said he went to UMass and stayed in the same dorm as Pitino so he's always followed Kentucky basketball since the 90s.

Dude asked me if UK fans want to get rid of Cal and I said that the tide is turning that way but it is unlikely because of the contract. Without missing a beat, my man says he read a story about Calipari years ago where Cal said his job was to get kids to the NBA instead of win basketball games and he knew then it wouldn't end well.

I thought about asking if he wanted to be Kentucky's athletic director.

Kyle Tucker was just on 680am. He cautioned fans to not get too caught up in the incoming class for next year. It’s not a Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe type of class that can come in and make an immediate major impact and fix the everything. Wagner is not a John Wall level talent and Bradshaw has a high ceiling but will take time. He pointed out that not all #1 classes are created equally.
Smart fans would TAP THE BRAKES on getting overly excited about any recruits coming in, given history and such.

Look, he’s a Jessamine county guy and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for him, but Chris Holtman isn’t the answer and that is exactly who Mitch would hire. For this to work properly, we need Mitch to retire before cal so Dewayne can come in and hire the right guy (oats/muss/Donovan/Sampson). The issue will be would Cal leave if Peevy is AD?

What ever happened to Brandon Miller? That whole departure was weird and he's been MIA since 2014.

Cal should be offered a negotiated buy-out and given a title of UK Athletics Service Ambassador so he can continue on his purpose-driven life of washing feet, telethons, and lead a socially-active agenda… whatever.

Offer him something that removes the whistle and let’s him brag that he’s doing something more important.

Reactions: Col. Angus
62f800a1b8afa.image.png

Reactions: IsRichieGonnaStart
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT