ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Olympics, but you're second point is spot on. I'm not losing sleep over one of our favorites not winning something. The best part of the Olympics is that 17 year old swimmer shocking the world. I don't really care what our medal count is unless I'm gamboling on it.

I love the Olympics, but you're second point is spot on. I'm not losing sleep over one of our favorites not winning something. The best part of the Olympics is that 17 year old swimmer shocking the world. I don't really care what our medal count is unless I'm gamboling on it.
Yep. I enjoy it because I have a natural rooting interest in every event, while not having to worry about experiencing the soul-crushing pain that comes with a UK loss.

I'll third that general sentiment, but will add that things really get turnt up a notch or two when we're in the middle of a World War, competing against a nation governed by a homicidal maniac, or engaged in a decade-long intense political struggle with a hated foe.

I'll third that general sentiment, but will add that things really get turnt up a notch or two when we're in the middle of a World War, competing against a nation governed by a homicidal maniac, or engaged in a decade-long intense political struggle with a hated foe.

Definitely not as fun when we ourselves are our own worst enemy. 🤔

Do always enjoy rooting against Italy because of Anth, though.

Basketball is one of the least things to care about at the Olympics. No mystery with pro's playing, no learning about new athletes. The Olympics is about the athletes in the every 4 years category. Swimming, track, etc.

I love the olympics as wonderful background entertainment in the dog days of summer combined with the occasional pump-me-up event or ass kicking. Swimming and track and field are awesome, as are the occasional random sport.

One thing that I’ve always done with the olympics is look at where I am in life compared to previous and try and predict where I’ll be in next 4 years. With every single one there was this excitement for next as I never knew where I would be living or working, what kind of family I would have, etc. This weekend we’re expecting baby #3 (our final), tonight we’re getting a home quote for our possible dream house, I own my business now. So for the first time in my life, by the time the olympics end Ill know exactly where I’ll be living/working and what my family will be like for the next olympics. And it’ll be that way for the next 5 olympics or whatever. Which I guess means I’m officially old, or at least that’s how it makes me feel.

I didn't know that. I wasn't trashing her; it's just something that didn't seem to happen in previous years.
How did you not know? It was all over the news. Are you really that oblivious to anything outside of your direct circle?

- Won't hate on the Olympics because some feel it's "cool" to hate on the Olympics. It's two weeks every four years, during a dead period of summer. It makes for great television. It features likeable young Americans who come from nowhere to become household names. And it provides Rowdy Gaines a temp job every four years, when he's probably in desperate need of one.

- A few years ago I wondered if there should be a permanent host city for the Games (maybe Athens for Summer, and Toronto for Winter, etc.), because of the horror stories about cities/nations going into massive debt and infrastructure issues trying to get ready for the Games. The only time I even really think about the host city is during the opening/closing ceremonies. But I also know what a huge job creator/financial windfall it is for these cities (Tokyo an exception, obviously), so maybe it all evens out.

- Unreal how good Mike Tirico is at hosting the Games. So smooth and effortless to bounce between different sports and interview subjects, without the implicit smugness of Costas. And it's been really fascinating to listen to Michael Phelps break down the swimming events. A lot of good insight there, he's a natural on the mic.

- HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I hope the women's soccer team loses every game.

- I've only been an Indians fan since living up there in the late 90's. I *get* why they needed to change the name (or, more specifically, the logo). But man....it should have been "Spiders". Period. They went the cheap route, and it's already costing them, PR-wise, and it's about to cost them, merch-wise.

- The CDC....lolz.

I agree with SAE, don't really care about our medal count, or if we win. Like he said, sometimes I even root for the Chinese and french over the USA in certain events.

Shifting gears here, what's the deal with my boys from India? Those guys are the second most populous country and only have one medal thus far.

Was returning a propane tank to Home Depot a couple years ago, the return cage was outside so I just set it down waiting for the gal to retrieve someone from inside to exchange them. This dude looks at me and says, “You gon leave that sittin in the sun and blow us all up man!”

“Ummm, the whole cage is outside in the sun. You think this propane is going to explode because it’s hot and in the sun? 🤨”

“Yeah I seen it happen in a movie, get that thing in the shade ‘for we all dead.”

“Uhhh, nah man I’m good right here.”

Shakes his head and walks away in disgust.
How did you not know? It was all over the news. Are you really that oblivious to anything outside of your direct circle?

I had zero clue either but I don’t do news of any type besides sports. I knew all about Nassar but as Wayne said I had no clue Biles was one of them.

Glad you guys can be so proud of your stupidity. Enjoy wallowing in your own ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT