ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
"k" - lowercase of course, is my most frequent text, by far. Followed by No, and "huh?"

Roy's a bitch. Yeah dick, the problem isn't your lack of effort, it's the kids these days. Dude shouldn't even be coaching anymore with the cheating that's gone on under his watch.

Anyone having issues with the AdBlock Plus plug-in for Chrome? It was killing my browser. Slow, crashing, freezing up... I had to reset it and remove it. Is there anything comparable that actually works?

Gonna try Ghostery. Sounds like it is next level badass at getting rid of shit on the internet that annoys me.

ASU is playing oregon on a Thursday and Pat Tillman night. One of the largest student populations in the country. Student section is maybe 40% full. Yet UL is expanding.

The alleged "Jess" from the Zola Florida Stripper Trap story supposedly has created a twitter account to "set the record straight"
image_zpsv36ztaxj.jpeg

Last edited:
Hartman was the best pure comic in the group and I'm not sure it's close. CF was a hell of a entertainer but stand up wasn't his strong point.

Hartman was a brilliant comedian, and crushed it on SNL, but Chris Rock is one of the best stand up comedians of all time. I'd put Hartman next though, definitely over Farley. If Farley had lived, I think people would have gotten tired of his style over time. It was already starting to happen just before his death. Beverly Hills Ninja was a dud.

In my humble opinion, Hartman was the second best SNL cast member of all time behind Eddie Murphy. The guy did everything - recurring characters, straight man, voiceovers. Plus - as a bonus - he was Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz. Just a crazy brilliant dude.

I still have an old VHS tape of Eddie Murphy SNLs that ran on Comedy Central back in the 90s. There were some funny people in his group, but he blew them all out of the water.

Hartman was a brilliant comedian, and crushed it on SNL, but Chris Rock is one of the best stand up comedians of all time. I'd put Hartman next though, definitely over Farley. If Farley had lived, I think people would have gotten tired of his style over time. It was already starting to happen just before his death. Beverly Hills Ninja was a dud.
Yeah but I didn't like Rock on SNL as much. That's what I was getting at. Hartman was the total package.

colin quinn doing the news = ugh. brutal.

that show died for me about the time will ferrell came around and did the cheerleader skit every single week. most overrated sketch in show history. and chris kattan terrifies me. that's one seriously ugly dude.

Reactions: CoolCat45
The SNL casts can only be judged against their own time. When you take their humor of context it mostly falls flat. Have you watched the original season? It is borderline unwatchable.

Having said that Hartman is great. His audition, like all great works of art, is timeless yet completely of its time. It is pure 80's po-mo hilarity as he does impressions of German guy doing impressions of Americans in German.

Phil Hartman also crushed it on NewsRadio.

But Troy McClure >>> "Hi, I'm Troy McClure and you may remember from information kiosks such as 'Welcome to Springfield Airport' and 'Where's Nordstrom?'"

Yeah but I didn't like Rock on SNL as much. That's what I was getting at. Hartman was the total package.

Hartman was the better cast member, but Chris Rock was the better standup comic. What they do on SNL is not standup. As far as Hartman, I think he would only be more beloved and appreciated if he were still alive.

Also, Newsradio is perhaps one of the most under appreciated shows of all time. Seems like it has gotten completely lost in the shuffle when people talk great sitcoms.

Reactions: bbonds
Late 80s-early 90s SNL (at least pre-Sandler/Farley/Spade/etc.) did some pretty cerebral stuff. For example, Hartman had this great character called the "Anal-retentive Chef." I was only 12 or 13, so I didn't fully "get" what was going on there, but it was really funny and Hartman did the whole sketch solo. The political stuff was also off the charts.

-Bengals +1 at Steelers? Is that just b/c of history? Seems like an easy cover.
-Richt going to switch QB's this late in the year the week of the Cocktail Party? Boy O Boy.
-Cuse @ FSU w/out Cook getting 19?

-Look, the Mexican theme costume isn't offensive or at least it really shouldn't be. HOWEVER, no matter what that stuff always offends someone especially dumbasses at a University. For that idiot to dress his whole staff up like a bunch of Mexicans is just phenomenal and really does show you how unaware they are on Floyd St.

Reactions: B Rax and PTI (pti)
Eddie Murphy is the undisputed king of SNL, and it's not even close for 2nd place. Guy in his prime was Michael Jordan. Just on a completely different level from everyone else. Just ruled the 1980s.

:joy: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever.. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know - when a man like my client slips and falls on a sidewalk in front of a public library, then he is entitled to no less than two million in compensatory damages, and two million in punitive damages. Thank you.

I'm aware that SNL is not stand up. I never said Hartman was a better stand up comedian than Rock although it's probably not a huge difference. I said he was better than Farley and the best pure comic on that cast which he was and it's not really close. I didn't really care for Chris Rock on SNL because he's not a very good actor.

:joy: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever.. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know - when a man like my client slips and falls on a sidewalk in front of a public library, then he is entitled to no less than two million in compensatory damages, and two million in punitive damages. Thank you.
The shit-eating grin and nod he does at the end of that one when the jury returns its verdict slayed me. I can't imagine how high someone had to be to come up with that character.

Oh, and the best Weekend Update host was Norm MacDonald.

Rack em. Norm MacDonald is my hero. Nobody has ever cared less about what came out of his mouth while still being funny. And Norm never cared once if an uppity audience was offended by or didn't understand a joke. I pulled these from one Weekend Update transcript.

"Tourism in India has taken a dramatic drop recently. The State Bureau of Tourism has two theories. One: air fares have gone up slightly in the past year causing a decrease in travel worldwide. And two: The plague."

Ford this week recalled two models of cars saying that they might explode during refueling. At Ford, quality is Job One. And Job Two: "Making your car explode."

And, in a related story, this week marked the 5,000th performance of the Broadway musical "Cats." It also marked the 5,000th time a guy turned to his wife and said, "What the hell is this?"

The Food and Drug Administration announced today that while one ounce of Special K with four ounces of milk is a good dietary source of protein, one ounce of Special K with five ounces of milk is deadly poison.

I've always been pretty stubborn with my position of Manning being the best (despite the lack of rings) overall QB I've seen...at least in the never-ending conversation of being compared to Brady.

I'm not nearly as sure anymore. Damn he's unreal.

-Look, the Mexican theme costume isn't offensive or at least it really shouldn't be. HOWEVER, no matter what that stuff always offends someone especially dumbasses at a University. For that idiot to dress his whole staff up like a bunch of Mexicans is just phenomenal and really does show you how unaware they are on Floyd St.
Pretty much. The added touch of his wife being the one to hand out sombreros and mustaches and then to have everyone pose for a picture on the steps of the president's mansion (which I guess is where these people work?) was nice.

The costumes may not offend everybody, but on the other hand I don't think most work places anywhere, much less a public university, would think it's a good idea for their employees to dress up like that at work and pose for a picture. There have been enough stories about dumbass fraternity/sorority parties like this getting blasted in the media, and those are dumb college kids. This is the school president.

Given the recent rounds of bad PR the school and the president have been taking it's amazing to an outsider that someone didn't step in and be all like "hey guys maybe let's rethink this?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT