ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derby Week Randos...

- Two years ago we went out of town to the mountains in NC with some other couples & last year we didn’t do much. For whatever reason this year the Derby bug has caught me again.

- I’ve been out the track the last two days. On Tuesday I was with my closing attorney in the Turf Club and yesterday the bank had a group in its Jockey Club Suite. I had a blast both days. Had lunch on Tuesday with jockey, John Court, who is riding Long Shot Toddy in the Derby. Had a few frosties with him. Super cool fella and had some incredible stories. Man, those jockeys live a hard & fast life. He’s won the Arkansas Derby, Louisiana Derby and Florida Derby but never the big one. The opening odds for Long Shot Toddy were 30-1 but he said he feels confident that he can be in the mix coming down the stretch on Saturday.

Placed some bets, enjoyed the scenery and enjoyed ice cold domestos (all on the company dime of course :) yesterday with some co-workers and clients in the suite. You’re kind of removed from the action but damn, it’s a nice setup. Your own bartender, multiple tv’s, betting machine, balcony overlooking the track, food.. The works, really.

I don’t every recall seeing that much energy in and around Churchill that early in the week. I could feel the buzz even on Tuesday.

- Took the lil lassies to the backside early this morning. Lil Lass #1 loves “horsies” and she had a blast. Such a cool thing to watch the Derby contenders workout, see some of the owners/trainers and media walking around in that setting.

- Hoots on Dutchmans today for lunch. Marcus.

- Derby Eve Silks Bash at Locust Grove... Blue pants, white shirt with French cuffs, monogrammed sterling silver cuffs, seer sucker jacket, pink tie & polished ferragamo driving loafs no socks.

Its too bad we didn't capture him alive and give him a proper end.
file.gif

Reactions: drxman1
Boogie Ellis backing out of his letter of intent from Duke (They're letting him out.) I just assume without even looking it's Memphis. Doesn't help that K recruited over him in his own class.

Speaking of Memphis, Penny is definitely cutting checks right? Can't wait until the NCAA figures it out and gives them probation in about 7-8 years.

Boogie Ellis backing out of his letter of intent from Duke.
What's the refund policy on a rental mansion and cush gig in Durham?

-I prefer the obnoxious atmosphere at regular JRs over The Precinct. Cool bar though.

-Spent A LOT of time at @tmosphere. What a place. Blatantly obvious it was a drug front from the get go but damn that place was fun AF.

-We have a pretty solid routine these days for the weekend. Up and back on a bus for Oaks, ride back basically puts everyone to sleep so we're in bed by 9-10p. Drive up, drop the little man off, catch the bus at 11am, Derby, post race meal with the crew, hopefully get talked out of stopping by the bars, bed, hangover.

-Sean Miller. :joy: I know it never is, but that FBI stuff yesterday seems as close to entrapment as you can get. Dawkins telling them not to bribe coaches and the agent basically saying, "it's my money you're going to get coaches."

I still question the actual timeline. I had friends who were special op pilots at that base in Afghanistan, and they were awfully chipper the night before it went down for no particular reason.

Just saying.

Maybe, but I doubt they’d be quite as chipper about a high risk mission as opposed to knowing he was already dead.

$100 each way tomorrow with a nice lyft driver negotiation we met last week. Leaving lex 930.

Look to be home after dinner 1030-11. Covered box on the finish line. Prob hit merrick bar on the way home for the lamb.

Derby day in home casual gamnling.

This is why we do this.

So some random bar in Columbus post hockey game ended up having Weller Antique 107. Did some research and it seems to not be available easily.

Bought a bottle for $50.

Hopefully was a decent deal. I'm taking offers.

Reactions: wcc31
It’s been out a lot lately because of Derby. I’m not a big fan but people love that stuff.

Yesterday I found a EHT 4grain for $250 on a shelf and a George T Stagg for $200. Also got an Old Fo Presidential from the distillery.

I honestly thought a dude was going to get lynched by the derby out of towners. Limit 1 bottle per customer and this guy had his whole crew buy a bottle, which was the last of what they had.

Once the manager realized what was happening and heard the others heckling him she decided to bring out 3 more cases!

Boom!

I put the 4grain up 3 times tonight. The first 2 took their buyout, and the third game I played and won so I have collected $600 and still have the bottle.

- Old Weller Antique is outstanding. $30 retail but I’d pay $50 in a second.

- Latest pickup was a Four Roses Barrell Proof pick from The Party Source- 11 years old. Tremendous.

- My most hated NBA players:

1. Chris Paul
2. Jimmy Butler
3. Kyrie Irving

- Recruiting getting interesting as it always does this time of year.

Reactions: Strokin_Bandit
Dr Mike’s pics from the track at Churchill look quite sloppy.

What is the incidence of a rainy derby? Seems worse than 50/50.

It’s been out a lot lately because of Derby.

It's been a needle in a haystack around Central Ky for about a year. I was able to get a bottle of this and Reserve at a hole in the wall store in NYC a couple of weeks ago, but paid for it.

Cobra Kai season 2 is fun. If you liked the first one you will enjoy. Love how they keep bringing original people back from the movies. 80’s nostalgia set in real time. Burned through about 7 episodes last night.

I’m telling ya, if you enjoy fine bourbon and your palate has evolved to drinking them neat, give the fine aged rums a shot. $50 for Zacapa 23 or Plantation XO is a bargain.

Reactions: roguemocha
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT