ADVERTISEMENT

Theoretical space question

So with our current knowledge, it’s not possible for us to explore other galaxies or even solar systems. But theoretically if we could figure out how to travel at or near the speed of light we could reach a lot of them, although only a small fraction that exist without being able to travel way faster than the speed of light.

However I am thinking way before reaching the speed of light we would surpass our own ability to steer a ship to avoid planets and asteroids. But also near the speed of light would that make it not possible for even electronic guidance to work. I doubt we could design an electrical signal to be faster than light, and enough faster for then guidance manipulation/maneuvers to take place.

Or is the guidance possibility just another piece of the puzzle we are unable to conceive of yet?
Great question and some excellent comments throughout this thread. I would love to host a group over beers and dinner for a serious discussion on this. I don't know how to dm on this iditioic rivals-yahoo platform, else I would have given you a good email for me. Let me know if you are interested in discussing further.

Reactions: chroix
Our human bodies are so fragile it's next to impossible currently. Heart and lung function, blood pressure, muscle atrophy. All are affected in a major way. We would have to build ships that could somehow gravitate us and stabilize for permanent space living first before we ever consider speeds.

Like one poster mentioned replenishing supplies and energy. It's of the biggest challenges we have always faced trucking large war armies around here on earth much less space.

I still think space travel will be all robotics and Ai for a long time before humanoids join the party.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT