ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's basically giving a year of eligibility correct? If he sits out a transfer year after red shirting he only has 2 years left despite only playing 1.

Unless he drops a level for a year. Which seems even worse.

When he came here, did he think he was going to be a one and done player?

For fux sake, you were part of the rotation as a freshman. Continue to get better and get more PT.

BITrCH.

Hopefully they change the transfer rules in time so that he can play next year wherever he wants without having to sit out. Kid has earned it.

Poythress, WCS, and soon to be (hopefully) Richards?. Who are the other non-KYboy upperclassmen in the last 10 years not counting grad transfers? It's unbelievable. Kids these days are pussies.

The Draft numbers this year are incredibly misleading with the new rule. If you have any desire whatsoever to play professional basketball (NBA or elsewhere), there is really no reason to NOT declare under the new player-friendly rules.

I mean, Devonte touching Green declared for the NBA Draft. [eyeroll] But, I get it...

The Draft numbers this year are incredibly misleading with the new rule. If you have any desire whatsoever to play professional basketball (NBA or elsewhere), there is really no reason to NOT declare under the new player-friendly rules.

I mean, Devonte touching Green declared for the NBA Draft. [eyeroll] But, I get it...
Not really. After the guys come back when you add in seniors and euros they'll more than double the drafts spots.

Obviously Blackshear would be an amazing pickup, but by next March I see our offense being throwing the ball to him in the post every possession and surrounding him with 4 non shooters on the perimeter.

Yup, that's why I don't understand why those final spots(like Baker was) aren't used on a 3* KY kid. Instead we scramble after missing on an elite recruit and take a kid who's ranked just high enough that he believes he should be a 1andD.

I'm not pissed about Baker because he's had a rough go and is obviously wanting to go home bad enough that he is wasting a full year of court time. However, the big picture doesn't seem like a great way to build a stable roster.

We have shooters next season. Quick, Maxey, Allen are all shooters. Hagans improved big time in that dept. Brooks & Whitney are capable as wings. That's Sestina's calling card. EJ has the tools to be a good shooter.
Cal will also add another one. Get a shooter and Blackshear and we have an Oscar award winning movie.

Reactions: Century Cat
I would love nothing more than Baker returning but how many minutes are available? In good health, Maxey/Quick/Hagans can handle the 1/2.

Agree with Anth on Kentucky kids.

Think it is pretty safe to say that Baker will get an extra year of eligibility because of his injury issues.....if he doesn't get a waiver to play immediately. He might not want that extra year though.

o_O

Jamarl Baker
Quade Green
SK-J
Tai Wynyard
Marcus Lee
Charles Matthews
Kyle Wiltjer
Ryan Harrow
Darnell Dodson
Wiltjer and Matthews are the only two that stand out on that list. Wiltjer would've been a good addition for the 13-14 squad to give a dynamic stretch-4 look over Randle. Not sure Matthews would've gotten much clock on on the 16-17 squad.

The rest made the right decision to leave, IMO.

Reactions: anthonys735
Does anyone believe Baker really thought he was one and done? Doesn’t pass the smell test.

Seems much more likely he’s either just wanting to get closer to home or doesn’t want to get buried on the bench because he’s not getting the same amount of leeway on his mistakes as the next 5 star.

It’s disappointing because he could’ve developed into a solid rotation guy.

Last edited:
Remember how shitty your first job was out of college, and how terrible your salary was?

Well, imagine sucking at your job, and still making like 5x that much money -- to play basketball. Basically every single player at Kentucky has made, or is making very good money to play professionally. Yeah, even the ones who sucked and made a "bad decision" to leave. Isaac Humphries is an NBA player, for god's sake.

Just living the dream.

Wiltjer is the best of the bunch of transfers.

A guy like Baker, even if he had an inclination to play all 4 years, will look at the short and long term roster and will see himself as the perpetual 4th guard in the rotation as we continually bring in 5 star guards. Substantial playing time will always be an uncertainty.

Reactions: jayroon
When we aren't getting top 10 picks every year, it puts program building between a rock and a hard place. You want to get the best guys you can, but every single one of those borderline 5-star guys believes they are one and done.

Sometimes they are, like Herro, and it sucks when they leave when they could've been All-Americans the next year. And then sometimes they aren't, and instead of trying to get better and contribute heavily as juniors and seniors, they look at the way we recruit and see that they'll face extremely stiff competition each and every year just to see the floor.

So when they look at their future, they decide to take what's closer to a sure thing and go somewhere they know for a fact they'll be getting tons of playing time.

Cal's position is tough because you can't not recruit the best you can get. You also can't fault a 1st rounder for leaving. And I don't blame a guy who isn't all that great, and is 100% going to be recruited over, for leaving for guaranteed playing time. It's a shitty position to be in as a program, but it's where we are.

The best fix is Cal gets his ass in gear and starts getting multiple top 10 picks again. If he doesn't do that, he needs to get the best of the best grad transfers each year, because the transfers won't stop, and neither will the borderliners bolting for the draft.

If you can find a consistent method for winning a national championship, I’ll kiss your ass.

Here’s a strategy: get the best players possible. Adapt. Given today’s environment, that’s going to mean a mix of one and dones, a grad transfer or two, and a few 3-4 year guys who happened to stick around.

If you think Cal is going to suddenly kick it in gear to start getting the elites again, look no further than his refusal to change up his assitant coaches. A math teacher and a failed HC who used to play for him. Yet another year going by with no changes.

Reactions: Mashburned
Much like my golf argument that you idiots ignored, all you can ask in college basketball these days is to keep knocking on the door. Keep putting yourself in position for those shots and bounces to go your way. Seven of 10 E8s and four F4s is a pretty good in that regard.

Who knows- maybe Hagans and/or Montgomery make a huge leap this summer. It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Mags hinted this morning that he wouldn't be shocked if either Montgomery or Richards leave to play pro.

Dropped a lot of "I'm just sayin"s when Ryan was saying how there was no way either would get drafted.

Poythress, WCS, and soon to be (hopefully) Richards?. Who are the other non-KYboy upperclassmen in the last 10 years not counting grad transfers? It's unbelievable. Kids these days are pussies.

Cal’s has a total of TWO high school recruits not from KY see a junior year that didn’t have a season ending injury basically force em back (WCS): Lee and Poythress. Had roughly 50-60 high school recruits since he was hired. Richards would make the 3rd.

That’s fairly hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT