ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have clarified: dog *ownership* is overrated. I like dogs. I just don't like owning dogs.

We hung wallpaper in our dining room which has 4 walls and a swinging door to the kitchen. We also installed expensive grasscloth in our foyer along with wainscoting. Very tasteful IMO.

Regarding the kitchen, 73 priced out a complete RENO which we passed on and instead opted for nice appliances and kept the linoleum floor and basic non-granite countertops. We make great food there and sit in our living room and have lost no friends over it FTR.

-Not much is better than truly helping someone build their home when things go perfect, and then they refer you business a few months later. The referral is sold already.

Completely different from the guy that ask you to price match and has itemized prices from 8 competitors. It just isn't enough to be the low guy, nope for this guy I need to be lowest on everything. False!

- Salad for lunch. My gym time(30 minutes tops) yesterday left me dead to the world, but I'm hoping a bunch of carbs midday will help with that.

- For some reason I am just giving Eric Church a shot in the rotation. Not bad at all for today.

- Guns are cool. I own a few, and I am a conservative minded guy. That stance above is the exact reason people want your guns dude, tone it down some and try to listen. Just because this one time things played out well for us does not mean something isn't wrong here.

Reactions: Joey Rupption
Just bought my first home as well. 1400 SF 3 BR/2 BA 2 story cape cod for $200k less then what I was pre-approved for. Part of me is glad I didn't have someone buying it with me, as it was a pretty painless process, the other part of me is wondering everything I missed while looking.

You have a F'ing swinging door into your kitchen??

Dude.

Give your wife a little longer of a leash, imo. At least enough to correct that.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Me: I like this place. Could definitely see myself living here.

Her: Yeah, but I couldn’t live here unless we tear down this wall (which contains a fireplace mind you) and the one in the kitchen, then rip up all the floors and replace the entire kitchen.

Me: :confused:

HGTV has done this.

Why not build new? Or get quotes for said work and put those numbers to her ideas? Usually that helps scale back expectations at the very least.

After renovating parts of 2 houses over the years, I learned that it's cheaper to pay for renovations than to pay for the appreciation on someone else's renovations.

That may be a fallacy to the experts in building and finance, but it's been true in my experience.

Reactions: rudd1
I like the swinging door. Oak. Very heavy. Has nicks and wear and probably has 10 coats of paint on it. People seem to get it when they open it.

Also, 73 was really pushing that open kitchen/dining room plan to the lass (understandably). She was having NONE of it. #smug

Reactions: Joey Rupption
I think I'm going to install a swinging door in my house. I think I'd like to feel like I'm in a western. I may buy a Colt Peacemaker and shoot the TV whenever HenGTV is on, too.

Marcus Welby, Wyatt Earp-style.

The hen who owned our house before us wallpapered everything. Cost me like $2k to have it all painted over. We had Certapro do part of it and they normally guarantee their work.

The Certapro dude took me aside away from the wife before he started painting and was like "Look, buddy, painting over wallpaper is stupid and I don't know why anyone ever hung that nonsense to begin with. You probably should strip it and refinish the drywall. I'll paint it if you want but I'm sure as hell not guaranteeing it."

Me: "Just paint it. I'll pay for an extra coat."

We've lived in our very nice updated house with a quartz island, hardwood floors, THICK crown molding for a whopping 2 years and my wife is already talking about where to buy a lot to build our "dream home" here in 5 years (which hopefully will be 10). So it's safe to say my wife truly knows how to enjoy the ride and cherish the now.

Last edited:
-apology accepted, sae.

-100cat is correct.

-i have bought/renovated 5 places within 1 mile of each other over the last 20 years. It is absolutely the correct thing to do. 30% ltv speaks for itself. It isn't easy but it builds wealth of you can stomach the headaches.

-buying/building a new home in a new neighborhood is risky...and a bit gauche. Find an established neighborhood with a history of desirability, steady property value growth and a good school situation. Profit.

-cant go wrong with grasscloth.

Preferred route is to buy a little house, open up the floor plan to the point of almost living in a studio/loft apartment, buy McMansion-sized furniture that is designed to fit proportions of oversized rooms and not human beings, fill the house with artificially “aged” junk to ground the domicile in a myriad of fake, tacky, and conflicting provenance, put up exterior wallpaper (i.e. non-operable shutters), and paint the exterior bricks if not already ruined.

Meanwhile I’m out here just trying to fabricate and install a parametric wall installation for my living room TV/ media center without my wife noticing. Whereever you go, there you are in HusbandLand, USA - I guess!

Can't imagine how much Ohio St garbage willy will put up in his new finished basement.

I'm very tolerant of others politics, but if you believe more laws will stop widespread violence you are a mouth breathing idiot.

Rudd basically telling 73 he doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to building. I love builder on builder crime.

I still hate UK football right now, like it ruins my life hate. Sorry, we deserve better, f@ck anybody that says different. I've put my time in

@wcc31 - Chad, I've been looking at properties in Cincinnati. Mind you, I don't live there so I'm kind of confused at pricing. I purchased my house in Kenwick (Lexington) and I can get a house 2.5x bigger, built in the same time period (mid-1920s) with other updates (not cosmetic - mostly windows/roof) for the same price. This is in west-Cincinnati. What am I not understanding? Is this a shit part of town?

You NEED a rolling barn door thingy too. Hey yall welcome to the farm lol.

iu

And also rip out any and all landscaping and replace it with some crappy junk that really pops.

What'd you do with those swingin' doors?
And where's the sawdust on the floor?
Why's everybody wearing suits and ties?
From where I stand it looks like the #smuglife

Doug Stone hopped in a time machine and read GYERO apparently.

-im not telling 73 he is wrong. Im extrapolating his point...about drywall installation , which i have been around since I was a wee tyke no bigger than chad.

-kenwick pricing is crazy. Thought it would wane when they redistricted from Morton to LTMS. Lexington housing is expensive , especially inside new circle.

Last edited:
Reactions: BradentonCatFan
@wcc31 - Chad, I've been looking at properties in Cincinnati. Mind you, I don't live there so I'm kind of confused at pricing. I purchased my house in Kenwick (Lexington) and I can get a house 2.5x bigger, built in the same time period (mid-1920s) with other updates (not cosmetic - mostly windows/roof) for the same price. This is in west-Cincinnati. What am I not understanding? Is this a shit part of town?

Yes, the west side is the shit part of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT