ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

After reading some stuff the ProV1 and Prov1X seemed to have almost switched this year. For you guys that play them did you know this happened in the technology???

My take away is, if i had played the Prov1X, which i did in the past, i would probably want to switch to the Prov1 this year. (interesting that they did this)

(The new Pro V1 spins less throughout the bag than the Pro V1x, whereas the 2015 Pro V1 spun more on long shots.)

http://www.golf.com/equipment/2017/01/25/titleist-pro-v1-and-pro-v1x-golf-balls-2017-first-look

Last edited:
That is certainly news to me. I haven't played any 2017 Prov1x. I'm still using 2015 and 2016's.
Yeah, weird that it's not more well known but you certainly need or need to think about switching. Were I to buy the new 2017 ProV I'd switch to the Pro V1 and not play the X.

I'm sure many people have zero clue.

Of course. Just 6 golf thread or gyero'ers that I'm aware of this year.

All my buddies had kids, which apparently means for some that you're never allowed to have a guys weekend or play golf ever again, which I was sad to learn. #life

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Saw this tweet and looked into this. Looks reasonably priced and could be of interest for some better golfers in here.

Reactions: treuxbleux
Big blue drew was on waiting and insisted on adding me. I accepted and they called us a week later saying we were in but drew backed out because of an engagement party he has to go to. Maybe next year.

After hitting my driver all over the place for years I finally decided to take a video of my swing to try and get to the bottom of my deepest golf problems.

(1) It really is inexcusable that I hadn't taken video of it in 3 years.

(2) After looking at it I see why I didn't take video of it for 3 years.

I've got some pretty significant problems to work on for the winter. My main points of focus are (a) stop taking it so far inside and (b) keep my left wrist flat.

For now, I guess I'll continue to hit it like dog shit until I can make some real changes. (Perfect timing for Eli week)

I can even get my wife to watch Feherty with me. She loves his interviews. Sad news about his son.

Anyone ever use refinished golf balls? I get them for a pretty good price, a little over a dollar a ball, and they're the highest rating they have. I've had some good rounds with them, but I'm wondering how much difference brand new golf balls would perform. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has firsthand experience with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: treuxbleux
After hitting my driver all over the place for years I finally decided to take a video of my swing to try and get to the bottom of my deepest golf problems.

(1) It really is inexcusable that I hadn't taken video of it in 3 years.

(2) After looking at it I see why I didn't take video of it for 3 years.

I've got some pretty significant problems to work on for the winter. My main points of focus are (a) stop taking it so far inside and (b) keep my left wrist flat.

For now, I guess I'll continue to hit it like dog shit until I can make some real changes. (Perfect timing for Eli week)

I did the same thing this past weekend. Never realized I'm taking it substantially past parallel and have a fairly significant sway. Way too long and "flowing" of a swing. Makes consistent, solid contact quite challenging.

I did the same thing this past weekend. Never realized I'm taking it substantially past parallel and have a fairly significant sway. Way too long and "flowing" of a swing. Makes consistent, solid contact quite challenging.

I am working my ass off right now trying to change my swing, shorter with better tempo would go a long way to helping me, right now I hate golf. One thing I catch myself doing is way overswinging past where I should finish, often ending up with my chest and belt buckle far right of the target (Note: I am lefthanded), when I can make myself finish with my chest and belt facing the target, I am at least hitting the ball more consistently towards the target. Otherwise, it is nose diving pull hooks with the occasional disastrous slice mixed in randomly. Driver still sucks dog balls, but to tell you the truth, my ball striking all through the bag has been [poop] for quite a while now.

All my buddies had kids, which apparently means for some that you're never allowed to have a guys weekend or play golf ever again, which I was sad to learn. #life

I know that feeling. From time kids were born till they got, at least, in school I played significantly less golf. Part of life for most of us. I'm trying to make up for lost time by playing more now.

I had an over swing come into my game way back. Just happened one round in the city years ago and i wasn't sure if it was my back (making me swing differently because of pain), nerves or yips. I was out there back in 2006 for a bit swinging it like Barkley and its so damn hard to get rid of. Got rid of it by starting my downswing when my left shoulder hit my chin. That worked for awhile but it came back and i am constantly working hard to shorten my swing and not allowing the over swing to come back. Obviously, if you over swing you lose power and accuracy for the most part unless you are Daly, Mickelson, Brook Henderson or others who can get away with it with great hand eye coordination.

My suggestion is go to range and hit a 5 iron 125 yards, hit your Driver 175, an 8 iron 100 and do this multiple times. Eventually the muscle memory will keep your swing shorter. When you think your swing is 3/4th's back its probably past parallel or at minimum parallel. I am constantly swinging clubs halfway on purpose at home or in the office to try and get that memory of a shorter compact swing. The shortish half swing can still get you out there 250 off the tee and straight for the most part which is just fine.

We all want that distance but it seems like more comes with a shorter swing and not worrying about distance while you are on the tee. That is very hard to do because you look down that fairway and want it out there as far as you can get it but the over swing will most times kill power and accuracy. I do this a lot into the wind because i want that extra distance but usually end up paying for it. In the end a shorter swing will give you the distance you need and the accuracy you need its just very hard to get your swing there and trust it because we always feel the need for extra yardage.

I thought you always had real short a hockey swing?

Definitely agree with the "when you feel like you're 3/4, most likely it's actually parallel or +"

...at least that's always been the case with myself.

Edit: yeah, that's what it was.

I choke down on the club which people ask me about quite a bit but no hockey swing for me.

I can see a little bit of a hockey swing with cawood. About a year or two ago i made a conscious effort to start shortening and somewhat slowing down my sing. I had always gone for distance and while it was sometimes impressive never lead to any consistency or great scores. With a MUCH shorter swing and what feels like a slower swing i generate nearly the same exact distance as before and have WAY more control. Focus on striking the ball better and distance will not be an issue.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Biggest key for me when I am hitting the ball well is a smooth follow through on the downswing. The key to good ball striking and distance is hitting at the target and not the ball. Anytime I am hitting it poorly its always because I am trying to hit the ball. When that happens 9/10 times my follow through is short instead of a full extended swing. Majority of golfers have the same issue and it leads to all sort of swing flaws. If you can learn to swing through the ball and not at it you unlock a whole new area of your game that leads to playing much better golf.

My kids are now 8 & 12 which means they don't demand attention 24-7. I have thus played more golf this year than I have since year before I got married. Kids are very demanding and unlike the 60's you can't just leave your wife to do all the work.

My two, now grown, were never a ball and chain that prevented me, or their mother, from outside activities. Whether it was golf or baseball for me, or her art/gym classes, it is called managing and sharing time, not to mention being healthier for the individual. If you aren't playing golf because your kids are young, that's on you and the Mrs....not the tykes.

Bridgestone Tee Times for rounds one and two: Good pairings for you to see in person, cole.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/bridgestone-invitational/tee-times.html

• 8:40 a.m. / 7:30 a.m.: Charley Hoffman, J.B. Holmes, Thorbjorn Olesen

• 9:00 a.m. / 7:50 a.m.: Henrik Stenson, Justin Rose, Harold Varner III
    • 9:10 a.m. / 8:00 a.m.: Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas, Adam Scott
    • 9:20 a.m. / 8:10 a.m.: Sergio Garcia, Rickie Fowler, Matt Kuchar
    • 7:50 a.m. / 8:50 a.m.: Jimmy Walker, Danny Willett, Bubba Watson
      • 8:10 a.m. / 9:10 a.m.: Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Jason Day
      • 8:20 a.m. / 9:20 a.m.: Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Hideki Matsuyama
      • 8:30 a.m. / 9:30 a.m.: Phil Mickelson, Thomas Pieters, Alex Noren

It will never happen but as KYian I'd like to see it happen:

http://www.morningread.com/features/a42c44e9-466a-4163-9721-5ad37d85e6e3

Also, wouldn't mind hearing any opinions on the PGA Championship moving to May full time which seems to be trending in that direction.
PGA moving to May would mean that The Players gets moved back to March, or at least that was the original idea. The Players was moved in the first place because of the weather in March. Sounds like a done deal regardless.

Pretty good stuff from Curry today with a +4, 74 round.
Incredibly solid for a guy who is just playing on an exemption and never has played in a professional golf event. Makes you wonder how good he could be if he quit basketball and solely played golf.

Incredibly solid for a guy who is just playing on an exemption and never has played in a professional golf event. Makes you wonder how good he could be if he quit basketball and solely played golf.

Just got home from there today. Watched him at the range and then we walked the course with Currys group. I knew he was good, but hes even better than I thought. Hes really does have some serious game. A 74 at Stonebrae is very impressive. That course is a beeoch.

Reactions: cawoodsct
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT