ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Much respect for those that played the city.

And how about DeChambeau winning the John Deere. Just proves there are many many many ways to hit a golf ball.
Good for him! I'm sure companies are hoping he starts winning. The guy could be highly marketable.

If BD can figure out that putter on a consistent basis he is going to be a force on tour. Kid is highly marketable. Extremely smart, different, and appears to be a very nice likeable young man.

I've talked to a few members this week, and they've all spun it as "Yeah, there is an assessment coming, but it's fine -- all part of the deal. It'll be fine"

...which is false (I've seen the letter & the numbers)

I don't think it will close, but I'm fairly certain it's more serious than these particular people acted like to me. I know for a fact that place has been in trouble for years. The land/ownership situation out there is kinda unique.

If you know anything about Bullitt Family Trust, they couldn't care less whether that club stays open or not, but I hope the membership figures it out.

Last edited:
I've talked to a few members this week, and they've all spun it as "Yeah, there is an assessment coming, but it's fine -- all part of the deal. It'll be fine"

...which is false (I've seen the letter & the numbers)

I don't think it will close, but I'm fairly certain it's more serious than these particular people acted like to me. I know for a fact that place has been in trouble for years. The land/ownership situation out there is kinda unique.

If you know anything about Bullitt Family Trust, they couldn't care less whether that club stays open or not, but I hope the membership figures it out.
One thing I have learned when it comes to a Golf Course having financial issues is that there is a ton of BS that gets spewed by owner/membership. A ton of pride and ego involved so it's almost impossible to get the real truth out of anyone in the know. Was a member of a club that ran into big problems and I heard several versions when in fact ownership had lied to many people to cover their asses and reputation.

Anyone have personal experience hitting the Callaway Apex Pro 16 irons? I've got a guy who bought some new last year with KBS Tour 120 shafts for like $1,100 or $1,200. They have only been hit a few times and he's offered to sell them to me for $550, which seems like a pretty decent price considering the shape they are in.

I'm trying to move away from game improvement irons that have a large offset, like my Rocketbladez; however, these might be too far the other way...I'm not sure. I know I'll hit them shorter, as my 6 iron has a half a degree less loft than the Apex Pro 5 iron. I'm not overly concerned about it, but if anyone has any on course experience with these clubs, I'd love to hear your opinion.

^ best looking irons out, imo. (Although the AP3 pics I've seen look sweet AF). That's a helluva deal.

I've almost pulled the trigger on an Apex/ApexPro16 mixed set several times...if you don't buy, I may (seriously).

I just put the KBS Tour 120s in my MPs.

Anyone have personal experience hitting the Callaway Apex Pro 16 irons? I've got a guy who bought some new last year with KBS Tour 120 shafts for like $1,100 or $1,200. They have only been hit a few times and he's offered to sell them to me for $550, which seems like a pretty decent price considering the shape they are in.

I'm trying to move away from game improvement irons that have a large offset, like my Rocketbladez; however, these might be too far the other way...I'm not sure. I know I'll hit them shorter, as my 6 iron has a half a degree less loft than the Apex Pro 5 iron. I'm not overly concerned about it, but if anyone has any on course experience with these clubs, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Buy them. Even if you don't like them, you can sell them. Couple of my golfing buddies have the cf 16 and I like them, have not hit the pro model.

Need a new set for next season. Think these are at the top of my list atm. Going to be loyal to PING

http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/ping-i200-irons-review-3732.aspx

1-t.jpg

A mixed set would be absolutely ideal, IMO. Longer and more forgiving with the long irons, and more feel with the mid and short irons. I've never really understood why more companies don't make more mixed sets.

The ones he's selling are 5-AW, so what I had considered doing was buying the regular Apex 4 iron. My only concern is a massive gap in distance between my 5 and 4. I don't want to hit my 5 190 and my 4 220.

What's your opinion on the KBS Tour 120 shafts?

My opinion is that they're perfect for me, coming off the Project X, and that if I were you I'd ask to hit them before purchasing.

Your violent transition would seem more PX style, but shafts are such an individual thing you never know until you feel it yourself.

You very well could be right about that. I honestly just don't know much about iron shafts because I buy them about once every 10-20 years.

The nice thing is this guy is going to let me play them for a couple of rounds before deciding whether or not I want to buy them.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
^ best looking irons out, imo. (Although the AP3 pics I've seen look sweet AF). That's a helluva deal.

I've almost pulled the trigger on an Apex/ApexPro16 mixed set several times...if you don't buy, I may (seriously).

I just put the KBS Tour 120s in my MPs.
Ditto. Apex is a bad ass iron. Not a fan of the new Epic irons.

Count me as one who is anxious to try out the new AP3's. May finally solve my quest for the perfect blend of forgiveness and workability.

Went on a golf trip this past weekend, and it was a great time as usual. I didn't play particularly well, but we had a fun match the last 18 holes. We played a modified Scotch doubles where you basically both hit off the tee, pick the best one, and then you both play your own ball in. We played low ball.

My partner and I were 3 down through 11, and then birdied the last 7 holes on the way in. Even with that we only tied the match on 18. There were 21 birdies between the 4 of us that round. :joy:

Just bought 5 dozen (to split with a buddy) Vice Pro Plus balls for $125. Pretty solid price since they're routinely compared favorably with the ProV1x.

I used the Snell tour ball for a year a couple of years back, and I love it, but the logo and print are simply awful. Hard to get passed it.

Vice's logo is :fire::fire::fire:

Just bought 5 dozen (to split with a buddy) Vice Pro Plus balls for $125. Pretty solid price since they're routinely compared favorably with the ProV1x.

I used the Snell tour ball for a year a couple of years back, and I love it, but the logo and print are simply awful. Hard to get passed it.

Vice's logo is :fire::fire::fire:

Curious for your review. Seems like every serious review I've read gives the advantage to Snell, which is a good ball.

...buddy of mine gave me a sleeve of the new Srixon Q Star Tour the other day. It's a 3 piece, but won Gold right along side the usuals on the Golf Digest 2017 Hot List, apparently performs better than their 'premium' Z Star. Thing is zippy AF around the greens. You buy 3 boxes, get one free, personalized w/ free shipping on their website.

-I held a Volvik for the first time yesterday. :weary: No way. May pick up a few for the wife tho, she'll appreciate the bright colors and matte finish.

I sometimes play other balls just for funsies or out of boredom to see how much difference I can personally tell, but I've still yet to play anything but a ProV in competition, not sure that will ever change. I have zero doubts other premium balls have caught up, more of a mental thing I suppose.

Curious for your review. Seems like every serious review I've read gives the advantage to Snell, which is a good ball.

-I held a Volvik for the first time yesterday. :weary: No way. May pick up a few for the wife tho, she'll appreciate the bright colors and matte finish.

Volvik is such a weird look and feel. Played 18 holes with them and a few rounds at the par 3 course. Surprisingly thought they were pretty good.

^ they were loosies in a bucket at checkout and I asked the dude if they were practice/training balls...like the spongy ones you can drill in your back yard that go 30 yards. That matte finish or whatever makes the dimples invisible.

I honestly had no clue that was the actual ball Bubba plays, what a weirdo. I knew he played Volvik, but I thought it was just a regular style pink ball -- had never seen one up close.

My buddy only plays Vice golf balls. I like them but I also play cheap Cally supersoft ones because I don't like losing $3 balls.

I thought the Vice ball was a little harder than a ProV the times I've hit them.

I've been playing Volvik for the past couple of weeks...the matte ball. I'll be honest. That's a damn good $2.50 ball. Soft...long...decent spin...easy to putt with. You do have to adjust on the greens, as they are a bit more bump and roll than the 4 piece balls...but it's a solid option. I bought 3 each of neon green, red, and pink. The greens are the easiest ones to find. The reds are next to impossible to see...even on the fairway. I do like the pink. The orange are ugly. And my kids think they are cool, which is probably the main reason I play with them.

I still prefer the TPX5, but the Volviks are 2/3 the price...and I haven't seen any variation in my scores...which have been trending good.

Last edited:
@B.B.d.K. remind me on Friday at the Eli and I'll give you one. I should have them by this Friday so I hope to play a few rounds with them before the summer's main event.

*I hit the Apex Pro's yesterday at the range and got an immediate erection. Straight butter. I definitely don't hit them as long as "modern" game improvement irons, but that is to be expected with the loft difference. Having no offset was a thing of beauty. I have no illusions that I'll completely stop the big sweeping hook; however, there is no doubt I'll experience a significant reduction with these irons.

They really seemed super easy to hit, and my ball flight was about right where I want it, although I think the shaft had much to do with that. The KBS Tour 120 apparently promotes a higher ball flight, but I think going from my 85 gram Rocketbladez shaft to the 120 gram shaft helped me smooth out my transition and keep the ball flight in check.

I'm playing 9 with them tonight, which is when I'll make my final decision, but I'm 99.99999999% sold.

*Now to sell my Rocketbladez. 4-AW if anyone is interested. :sunglasses:

I honestly can't believe you've been playing offset, you may not play as much or like you used to, but you aren't offset caliber, good grief.

Note: True Game improvement clubs are outstanding, just for those that need them.

Reactions: _Chase_
In the market for some new irons after many years with Taylor Made R7's. In Louisville, is Golf Headquarters the best spot to purchase/get fitted? If not, where?

I love HQ, but it's not the best place to get fitted -- like any other retail spot, they're just gonna sell you what they want you to buy -- and I just don't trust the monitor, but that's me. Those are the touchers (Nick) that put me in that Project X 6.0 [eyeroll]

Titleist Thursdays down at River Road driving range (you have to schedule an appt), they put you on an actual Trackman, and you can get the real deal in terms of shaft fitting and swing info first -- For Free. Then, you can go hit whatever clubs, wherever, already knowing what you "are" and "need", and concentrate on feel or whatever is important to you.

I'll never get "fitted" again at a place that wants to also sell me the golf club.

Last edited:
Golf Headquarters is the only place I would go to in Louisville to buy clubs, mainly b/c their used irons selection is the best around. They always have demos, lightly used pro sets, etc. Picked up some barely hit MP25s last year for $500. Fitted with a 915D2 driver for under $200...demo.

You can hit the "used" sets for a week, and return if you have to.

For a true "fitting" go to a place like BBdK suggested. But you'll have to search around for deals on the clubs.

Thanks to you both, will definitely hit River Rd for the Titleist Thursday. Have only played clubs straight off the rack for far too long. There is little doubt I have several clubs in the bag that may be working against my limited skills.

Next set of irons i get i will definitely be fitted for. Played the 710 Ap2s since they came out and got them right from the shelf. Called down at the Eli and got put on a waiting list. Guy said people usually drop out and chances are good to get in. Call them and im sure you'll be able to play.

Reactions: TheShowKiller
^ nice. It's a fun little tournament, w/ some really good competition. You'll enjoy. From what I gather, you play in an invitational about every weekend, so there should be some familiar faces.

Glad to see you're game, unlike noted F-boi @tfields01 who's 0-12 lifetime on accepted invites.

Last edited:
Titleist Thursday's are awesome. Highly recommend. At least the ones I have been to they have not pushed product on me. Never get fitted for clubs inside. I know a lot of great club fitters do it that way, but if I cannot see the true ball flight and distance outside then I am out.

I have tried every brand and type of golf ball this year and the Snell MTB is still the best ball I have used. I get more distance and control around the greens than any other ball. Some folks laughed at me for using them but I gave them some sleeves and they now love them as well.

I cannot wait to try out the new AP3's!

I pulled the trigger and bought those Apex Pros. Never hit an iron straighter than I hit those (although I'm sure I will still have my fair share of 40 yard hooks).

Last night I bought an Apex Pro 4 iron from Callaway preowned to round out the set. Slightly different shaft, but the closest I could find.

I also went over to a club fitter's last night and had him check what my lie angle should be and the Apex lie angles. I'm 4 degrees flat, which just seems ridiculous, but two different places have confirmed. He bent them all accordingly.

Most eye opening moment:

I had him check my sandwedge and lob wedge, because those were supposed to have been bent 4 degrees flat back when I purchased my Rocketbladez. He checked them and the sand wedge was 1 degree upright, and the lob wedge was 3 degrees upright. F*ckers went the wrong way with it. It makes me wonder if my Rocketbladez are actually 4 degrees upright instead of 4 degrees flat. I know you should really see something like that, but I'm not one that pays much attention to that kind of thing. I took a stance with one last night and the toe was clearly a bit up in the air, unlike the irons I had just had bent.

Long story short, there's a decent chance I was playing irons with an offset, and 4 degrees upright instead of no offset and 4 degrees flat.:joy:. I'm not even sure what to expect when I play again.

4 degrees? Impressive. I play my irons at 2 flat.

Yep, seems weird to me too. I'm pretty average height at 5'11, so it's not like I'm a midget out there. My guess is I just hold my hands really low. I also have short legs compared to my torso, so maybe that's a factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT