ADVERTISEMENT

Brea gone....This really sucks

Not sure we’re getting anyone of note. It’s such an odd world now. Like we been dropped by basketball gods. It’s weird. I thought losing Cal would help. Mind you, I don’t want him back. I just didn’t expect such disinterest in arguably the best all time program. Hello Indiana.

Not sure we’re getting anyone of note. It’s such an odd world now. Like we been dropped by basketball gods. It’s weird. I thought losing Cal would help. Mind you, I don’t want him back. I just didn’t expect such disinterest in arguably the best all time program. Hello Indiana.
I think it's just that Pope is still an unknown to a lot of kids. I'm hoping he can put together a good enough team that next year he can show the world his fun style of play and what he's capable of, and gain more interest.

These kids know nothing about Mark Pope. I think we need to take our blue tinted glasses off. Pope has coaching for 9 years in D1 and hasn't had any NCAA tourney success. He has no history of putting players in the NBA. They don't know or care that he was on the '96 UK championship team.

Let's be honest, if he wasn't a former UK player, how many of us would know who Mark Pope is? That's why recruiting is going to be tough for him until he can show something to the nation. Parading the '96 trophy is not going to cut it. I hate to break the news.

Mystified by this one to tell you the truth. Unless Pope moved on for some reason, Brea would have probably featured in UK's offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farsight
If a kid is turning down UK before he even visits, either they have already talked money OR UK is telling them they have a commitment from someone else.

In this era of college basketball, there aren't going to be many recruits , if any, turning down a school visit to a major NIL player unless they know they its not going to work ahead of time

I think it's just that Pope is still an unknown to a lot of kids. I'm hoping he can put together a good enough team that next year he can show the world his fun style of play and what he's capable of, and gain more interest.
I agree with this. Also, alot of kids may not want to go to a school or get into a situation with a first year coach. That has to factor in as well. If I'm a recruit, I would probably want to be at a program where the staff is settled, seasoned, and both sides know what to expect. That's why this first year is so important, and then to build on that going forward.

These kids know nothing about Mark Pope. I think we need to take our blue tinted glasses off. Pope has coaching for 9 years in D1 and hasn't had any NCAA tourney success. He has no history of putting players in the NBA. They don't know or care that he was on the '96 UK championship team.

Let's be honest, if he wasn't a former UK player, how many of us would know who Mark Pope is? That's why recruiting is going to be tough for him until he can show something to the nation. Parading the '96 trophy is not going to cut it. I hate to break the news.
Let’s be honest he working his butt off and it’s just going to take time. He will be fine

Reactions: BCD
I'll never get over how i lost Sydney Sweeney
You do get that your analogy here is an insult to UK.

You are using yourself as a proxy for UK and Sweeney as a proxy for Brea.

The joke you're making is that Sweeney is out of your league and you never had a chance.

Thus you are saying Brea is out of our league and we never had a chance.

Very clunky analogy

Does two of the best recruiters in the country, Hart and Brooks, not have enough money to compete? It is all about money isn't it? Or, is there more to it?

Disappointing no doubt and anyone spinning it differently is just a joke. However, were we even strong in the game as that one twitter article suggests it was Duke who lost out not us. We do need some good momentum now.

Reactions: track42
Mitch was bragging about all the NIL pouring in since Pope was hired but he might be full of shit.
I thought that part would not be an issue the way they talked. Then, we get not one but two of the best recruiters in the country to go with that money and we still can't beat UConn, Duke, AR, etc for recruits.

"He didn't want to be a backup to the better guys were about to get. THIS is the weekend fellas!"

I'd say it's time to start getting concerned.. if we're not able to use our NIL, UK brand, and a pretty good upstart coach to get a top25 preseason team next year.. then we need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT