ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

We're applauding a solid RED bag (w/ black trim)? Marcus welby be the Cardinal Team bag -- hell, it might be.

That's awful.

Dude, if you're going to edit at least proofread. As far as I'm concerned it is Cincinnati Red.

It comes with personalization. I'll get BBN4LIFE and GO CATS!

I knew what he meant. But he edited the post to add that part and chose to use a term rarely used outside of urban dictionary. But hey if that makes him happy then have at it.
Never read his posts until at least an hour after the post.

Played Atlantic Beach CC scramble last night. They were going to host Web.com last year but the hurricane prevented it. The finals in Sept will be there this year.

Guy that worked for Arnie for 30 years designing redid it. It is such a great track and so well-designed. If you stuck it out when they were building it, membership was only 2K [laughing].

Every group gets assigned a member. Our member happened to be deadly from 135 in. My drives, his approach and the wife was putting like Spieth when he or I missed. -8 and took all the loot.

You guys ready for face paint and butt bumps? Solheim Cup this week.

Solheim_Cup.jpg

US Am also starts today at Riviera and Bel-Air

Monday, Aug. 14 (Stroke Play, Round 1, 18 holes)
Tuesday, Aug. 15 (Stroke Play, Round 2, 18 holes)
Wednesday, Aug. 16 (Round of 64, match play)
Thursday, Aug. 17 (Round of 32/Round of 16, match play)
Friday, Aug. 18 (Quarterfinal matches)
Saturday, Aug. 19 (Semifinal matches)
Sunday, Aug. 20 (Championship Match, 36 holes)

Aug. 16 (Round of 64 Matches): 5-8 p.m. (FS1)
Aug. 17 (Round of 32 Matches): 2-4 p.m. (usga.org)
Aug. 17 (Round of 16 Matches): 6-9 p.m. (FS1)
Aug. 18 (Quarterfinal Matches): 6-9 p.m. (FS1)
Aug. 19 (Semifinal Matches): Noon-3 p.m. (Fox)
Aug. 20 (Championship Match: Morning 18): 12:30-2:30 p.m. (usga.org)
Aug. 20 (Championship Match: Afternoon 18): 4:30-7:30 p.m. (Fox)
havermyer.jpg

Last edited:
US Am also starts today at Riviera.

Played against a guy who qualified for it in my member-guest last month. His name is Mikey Feher, played his college golf at Lipscom.

I can't say I blame as it seems like it can be a miserable life trying to make it, but was a little surprised he said he had no interest in attempting a professional career.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Tiger is lucky to be alive. That is a serious cocktail of medication. It is unbelievable how far this guy has fallen. Father time is kicking his a$$ every way imaginable.

Will be the biggest comeback in sports history if he is able to come back on tour and win again. Even more so if he won another major. I would have confidence that the "old Tiger" had the ability to do it, but this Tiger appears to be mentally gone and who knows with that back.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...n-dilaudid-xanax-ambien-thc-system-dui-arrest

Anyone know how Drain is doing so far in the US AM ? -3/-4 under on the front 9 ? I would be disappointed if he does not post a 66 or lower. Maybe he can come in here and post after his round,,,, maybe.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Well, I'm playing Olde Stone again tomorrow. Hopefully third time is the charm with the rain. First time I played it, it was 49 and raining. Second time we played in a tropical depression and walked the back 9 because no carts were allowed. Tomorrow's weather is looking good.

If I can shoot under 85 there I'd feel pretty good about my game.

I'd love to play the tips just to see how hard it is at it's hardest, but I'm afraid a couple of the guys I'm playing with won't want to do it.

Anytime I play a great course, I like to tip it out. Not because I'm good enough to do that, but because I just want to see how hard a really good course is meant to play. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment in that regard.

Just looking at the difficulty level as compared to some other courses.

Slope rating from google searches:

Olde Stone: 139
Pinehurst 2: 141
Augusta National: 137
St. Andrews: 132
Valhalla: 148
Kiawah Island: 153
Sawgrass: 155
Oakmont: 142

Some of those don't really seem accurate, but interesting none the less.

If you're concerned about breaking 85, then you should probably play one of the forward tees. Unless you're out there with no one behind you. Play enough and you've undoubtedly played behind a group "playing the tips" that would be better served playing Putt Putt.

No offense, team "while we're young".

Want to play a money game sometime, ymmot? Let me know next time you're in Madisonville or Owensboro and want to go.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.

Kiawah Island is all about the conditions. Played there a few times. Shot an 81 on a very light breezy day. Shot a 93 on a windy day. Its not a hard course just by itself. Add wind and it becomes a bear. I am a good bunker player which you better be on that course.

Sawgrass is just hard. You better be accurate off the tee box or you are screwed. I think I shot a 85 there. Can't remember. This was before they renovated it this past year. Sure the Bermuda greens are harder to putt on now. Again, better be good in bunkers. Its a Fazio course.

Pinehurst 2 is nothing special IMO. Played a few company events there. One before the renovation and one after. Both were scramble events so can't really say how I would have done on stroke play or really how hard it is since we were hitting off the fairway most of the time.

I have a buddy who played on tour that goes to Augusta National multiple times a year. I go about every year for The Masters. Its so nice I would be afraid to hit a ball and leave a nasty divot. Unfortunately, I am not a high enough roller to get on there. I know guys who are great golfers, have money, etc and can't sniff the place. A good alternative is Sage Valley which is just across the state line in SC. Very private, but not as hard to get on. Guy who owns it could not get a membership at Augusta so he just built his own course. He took a bunch of Augusta's caddies just to piss them off. It has a lot of the same look as Augusta so I will just relish in the fact I played there and call it a day.

Haven't played the other courses. Would like to play Olde Stone sometime. Went out there when they were building it back in 2004. Live too far away to just drive there. Will have to be a long planned event.

Chase, I played Valhalla a few years ago from a combo of the Green/Blue tees, and while the experience was awesome, I felt like I was hitting Driver-Wedge way too much. So you'll be in the same boat, or worse if you play up, since you hit it longer off the tee than I do. I would at least play the Blues at 7000 if you go. Otherwise you're cheating yourself.

Sounds like you've played some great courses, alumni00. Pretty jealous of that list actually.

I've played 3 courses that have held majors. The Ocean Course, Valhalla and thanks to 73 Big Spring Country Club.

Juniors kill Olde Stone. Love the "e".

Hey guys, going a little off topic here but since this is my favorite thread I thought I'd share.

I'm doing an NFL survivor pool this year if any of you want to play. $25 to play, winner or winners take all.

Shoot me a PM if you want to play and I'll send the info.

I've played 3 courses that have held majors. The Ocean Course, Valhalla and thanks to 73 Big Spring Country Club.

I have played at least 4, Erin, Whistling, Ocean Course and Valhalla. Definitely agree with UKalumni that Ocean is not ridiculously tough (I have played it two or three times), unless the wind is blowing. Erin was hard as hell I thought, Valhalla is stupid hard, really did not care for it at all. Whistling by far the most scenic, a really wonderful golf course. Got rained out the one day I was supposed to play Crooked Stick, have heard it is really really hard as well.

Sounds like you've played some great courses, alumni00. Pretty jealous of that list actually.
It's nice to expense golf on the company dime and also have some very good contacts. Have been blessed to play a lot of nice courses. Rarely do I go to really nice places on my own dime. One day I will find a way to play Augusta National.

Want to play a money game sometime, ymmot? Let me know next time you're in Madisonville or Owensboro and want to go.
[laughing] No offense Mr. Chase, that was funnier to me last night when I was drunk. My last 5 rounds have been in the mid to upper 70's though. I'm doing much better than I was when I was singing the blues earlier in the year.

F'ing tradeshow Thursday so yet again miss being able to play Stadium.

Took my dad and the step-hag up to TPC last weekend. Place is perfect after the renos. Made the entrance more attractive and it just pisses golf excellence.

Well, I had an interesting last two rounds. Olde Stone rammed it straight up my ass, no lube. Cool 92 and my wrists were sore after the round from hacking it out of the rough all day.

Today I played in the Central City Armstrong Invitational. F*cked up and shot 72. That puts me in the 3rd to last group with several guys who routinely shoot in the 60s. I'll have to play out my ass tomorrow to finish in the money, but if I'm being 100% honest my only real goal is not to embarrass myself.

Box of ProVs for getting in the championship flight, so I got that going for me :joy:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT