ADVERTISEMENT

Givony has PJ Washington at no.18 in 2019 draft

It wouldn't take much for PJ to prove his mid range game next season and work his way into the mid lottery. That would represent a huge payday.

The trouble is, with his potential and likely strong showing in the combine, he has the potential to eek in to the backside of the 1st round this year.

I hope he stays.
There is way more talented individuals who are a head of him this year. Even with a strong showing, he needs to show he will be able to score 2 of 3 levels. We will see him extend his range. If and this is a huge if Cal runs the offense focusing on him as the primary, and PJ passing skills improve, we are talking SEC POY, and him taking us to another Championship!!!
If JV maybe trying to get that money while he can...he maybe more injured than we thought or something else entirely. PJ and his finger is an easy operation...but untelling what extent the injury of jv. It is easy for us to say, but if his surgery requires him to go under, no matter how miniscule the risk is, why risk dying for something time can heal. Though highly unlikely, it has occurred and is part of acceptable losses in surgery when knockout drugs are used. It is his life, let him make his own decisions

Last edited:
Wow, excuse me sir, but you have NO clue why she’s in the hospital or what kind of health issues she’s dealt with for at least as long as I’ve known her (15+ years)
She made a mistake, owned up to it and offered an explanation as to why she made it, and you basically crapped on it.
Whatever your beef is/was you more than crossed the line with that comment.

He's largely been an arrogant tool since he arrived here a few weeks ago.

This is where things get dicey for these guys who declared. If a team is building for the long run and feel PJ could be a mid first rounder next year they might be able to guarantee him money now as drafted 2nd rd or undrafted FA. All it takes is a GM to say to the family that if he goes undrafted “we will pay him now”. That would be like gaining another 1st pick for next season at limited price with high upside.

Washington will be in the pros this year. I can tell by his twitter account. He’s working out with trainers in Dallas and has flown all over. He just posted something that said PROgress. Then also he has some camera man taking pictures of him. He gone.

Washington will be in the pros this year. I can tell by his twitter account. He’s working out with trainers in Dallas and has flown all over. He just posted something that said PROgress. Then also he has some camera man taking pictures of him. He gone.

He hasn't gotten his feedback yet. I'll bet he comes back. Gabriel and Vanderbilt, I'm less optimistic....even though PJ would probably go higher then either.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Well you know me
I’m nice and polite
tenor.gif

[pfftt] :joy: :joy: :joy:

Well they say it because you can improve your stock by playing well at the combine and having great workouts. There was no buzz for my nephew as far as anything before the middle of the second round and the same for my boy Kyle Kuzma but Kuzma played very well in ONE GAME at the combine then sat out the rest of the combine and played well in workouts, my nephew didn’t get a combine invite but played very well in workouts and out played whoever he was matched up with, just by doing those things hey both got drafted in the first round.

The stigma about the second round is no obsolete as well because 80% of second round picks get guaranteed contracts. I think PJ should come back as well but he could also show some mid range game and handles in workouts and combine scrimmage that could push him into a first round promise. It only takes one team, one game, one great workout

I do not get why people keep saying this at all. There is no buzz around PJ among NBA people currently. The people I have talked with about our guys aren't even interested in watching him and currently he's not even a guarantee to be invited to the combine. He could potentially end up a mid 2nd rounder, but currently that is his absolute ceiling. That may be enough for him to take the risk and go for it, but he is not and will not be a first rounder, or even close to it this year.

They say that about almost every draft but every year some new names pop up and some freshmen end up being better than everyone thought. This draft was supposed to be very weak as well but then Williams and Miles came back, Trae played better than anyone thought, Mikal Bridges took a major step up, Porter jr Brother was better than people thought, SGA came out of nowhere, etc.

Most of the NBA experts have been talking about how weak the 2019 NBA Draft will be next year outside of Barrett, Williamson, and Reddish its wide open for the 2019 NBA Draft. That is why I don't understand PJ and Vanderbilt not just going ahead and getting these Surgeries and Rehab done asap and get ready for the August 2018 Trip to Bahamas if it happens. I don't the recovery time and Rehab time for PJ's finger surgery and JV's Foot or ankle surgery but it would be great if they had went ahead and had the surgeries now. Both PJ and Vanderbilt will be 1st round picks in the 2019 NBA Draft and both if staying healthy and having outstanding season could be lottery picks in the 2019 NBA Draft. Both PJ and JV right now in 2018 on most NBA Mock Draft Boards are not in the 1st or 2nd round selections. Gabriel coming back next year and having a good season could end up in the 1st or 2nd round of the 2019 NBA Draft. I wonder sometimes if these kids have patience to play 2-3 years especially these cases where the NBA Draft this year is strong and next year is so weak that they are for sure guaranteed with outstanding and injury-free seasons going in the 1st round and making big money. Just 1 year of outstanding ball and no injuries and PJ and JV both would be 1st round and maybe even lottery picks. Not a real hard decision.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
These rankings are totally useless. First off Louis king in the top 20? Dude better have a monster year. That would be a shocker. Secondly, nobody knows what these kids or kids in school will do next year. Sure they could come out and be studs, but there are plenty of guys that could be drafted ahead of them, hell look at our guys "testing the waters" if Vanderbilt comes back and has a solid injury free yr he will be on that list. Mock drafts are as useful as being the preseason number 1. If you lose or underperform you're taken off the pedestal and into obscurity

That's not anything special really. Lots of guys can do that at this level. You'd be surprised. Lot different than hitting them in a game with a guy coming at you.
I remember diallo doing the same damn thing prior to this yr in practice, how did that work out?

Not sure why any of you expect to keep any of these guys that are even fringe guys.

A major part of the appeal here is getting to the pros, PJ should return but at least he has a chance to go second round and catch on somewhere. Vando's would be a terrible, terrible, decision. I dont understand why Wenyen wouldn't just get his degree with another year, but his ass in the gym and see how it turns out. He is an intriguing energy guy that can and will hit 3s, reminds me of a guy the Spurs would end up finding a spot for(this is after another year of development here).

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Paying any attention to a 2019 mock draft in April of 2018 has about as much credence as another Pitino comment about players/teams.

"Juan Palacious is the next Jamal Mashburn"
"Michigan...I've never seen such a good shooting since I've been a coach...like Golden St Warriors"
"Mike Marra is the best shooter I've seen"
"Jared Prickett could be the next Larry Bird"

Why didn't we see that shot this season?
Did he actually shoot more than a handful of threes last season?
One thing I wonder is if Cal will actually have him in a position to shoot many outside shots next year. He's an inside the paint kind of player and Cal usually doesn't put those guys anywhere near the three point line for much.more than shuffling the ball to a guard.
I'd love it if Cal let our frontline guys have at it from the outside.

That draft class looks pretty weak. Probably will look better by next Feb/Mar.

But given these two choices (1 & 2), surely PJ will make the smart decision:
1)
a) 10% chance at guaranteed contract worth $1-3M
b) or 50% chance at G-league contract worth $35K, with no NBA contract over the next 3 years other than possibly a few 10-day minimum-salary contracts
c) or 40% chance at G-league contract worth $35K for 1 year, and then a NBA contract the following year worth $1-3M

2) 1 more year in college AND then next summer:
a) 30% chance at a 1st round pick guaranteed contract worth ($3-8M)
b) 50% chance at guaranteed contract worth $1-3M
c) 10% chance at G-league contract worth $35K, with no NBA contract over the next 3 years other than possibly a few 10-day minimum-salary contracts
d) or 10% chance at G-league contract worth $35K for 1 year, and then a NBA contract the following year worth $1-3M

Statistically speaking, the expected value of 1) is worth approximately $700K;
and the expected value of 2) is worth approximately $2.9M.
Seems like a no-brainer when you look at it that way. Add in the injury risk to 2) and maybe that drops down to $2.6M (with a high 10% injury risk)

That draft class looks pretty weak. Probably will look better by next Feb/Mar.

But given these two choices (1 & 2), surely PJ will make the smart decision:
1)
a) 10% chance at guaranteed contract worth $1-3M
b) or 50% chance at G-league contract worth $35K, with no NBA contract over the next 3 years other than possibly a few 10-day minimum-salary contracts
c) or 40% chance at G-league contract worth $35K for 1 year, and then a NBA contract the following year worth $1-3M

2) 1 more year in college AND then next summer:
a) 30% chance at a 1st round pick guaranteed contract worth ($3-8M)
b) 50% chance at guaranteed contract worth $1-3M
c) 10% chance at G-league contract worth $35K, with no NBA contract over the next 3 years other than possibly a few 10-day minimum-salary contracts
d) or 10% chance at G-league contract worth $35K for 1 year, and then a NBA contract the following year worth $1-3M

Statistically speaking, the expected value of 1) is worth approximately $700K;
and the expected value of 2) is worth approximately $2.9M.
Seems like a no-brainer when you look at it that way. Add in the injury risk to 2) and maybe that drops down to $2.6M (with a high 10% injury risk)

How did you come up with all those percentages?

Lol, looks like he’s put a lot of thought into those numbers.

I wouldn’t say I necessarily agree with them, but I really don’t want to go through that line by line.

I would just point out a couple of things.

1. We as fans have little information about where PJ might be drafted at this point. We can all make guesses. A 10% chance of any kind of decent contract seems a little low to me.

2. G-League now pays 2-way players a $75k guarantee, which can top out at close to $300k if the max amount of days are spent with the parent club. Not exactly a windfall, but a far cry from $35k.

Also, thanks for the kind words, folks, but there are a lot of other people on this site who have a good handle on statistics. I probably just post more than most of them.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT