ADVERTISEMENT

Unless Edwards gets a 1st round promise

BigKari

Senior
Apr 15, 2014
There’s no reason to leave. His shooting splits look great with his recent elevation in play - 49/37/76. Take those splits with him being the go to guy next year playing 32mpg and he’s a top 10 pick.

If he continues on an upward trend through this month though, he’ll jump into the 15-20 range and that’ll be great for everyone, and maybe he ends up going late lotto (seems to be more than a trend for teams to do)

2010 - Patrick Patterson (14)
2015 - Trey Lyles (12) Devin Booker (13)
2017 - Malik Monk (11) Bam Adebayo (14)
2018 - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (11)
2019- PJ Washington (12) Tyler Herro (13)
2023 - Cason Wallace (10)

Seems to me like it took awhile, but GMs learned where to get a sure thing in the late lotto. Blowing consecutive late lotto picks will cost you your job as the GM of a rebuilding team. Pelicans blew it in 2020 drafting Kira Lewis Jr. when Tyrese Maxey slipped to 21st. In what world should Maxey have slipped to 21 given Kentucky’s guard history? And Quickley at 25th is nearly as egregious. It’s hard to pick in the back half of the lotto, the crystal ball is much clearer in the front half (even if draft day perceptions are sometimes later proven incorrect). Lots of pressure to get it right, but you can see how it gets hard to judge amongst a large field of really good players after the Elite guys are off the board at the start.

Man what a turn around story that would be for Edwards if he’s getting called up there with the 13th pick in June!! Seems like he sees it in his sights with the way Cal says he’s so focused and constantly working. Sounds like a kid Pat Riley would love.

He keeps playing to the level he is now and maybe even elevates his game more he might play himself back in to a high lottery position with workouts.

He keeps playing to the level he is now and maybe even elevates his game more he might play himself back in to a high lottery position with workouts.
Combine that with showing and proving in the tournament on a Final 4 run and it wouldn’t be surprising.

It may not be a bad decision for him to develop in the G league or on an NBA bench, especially since we have more bigs coming and Thiero likely stays at the 4.
I think he just needs to chill and be a 3-4 year player, because that’s honestly what he is at any other program. Unless he’s fine with being a cup of coffee dude in the league, he needs to figure out college basketball first. Skipping that step rarely works out for anybody that’s not elite and didn’t need it in the first place.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think he just needs to chill and be a 3-4 year player, because that’s honestly what he is at any other program. Unless he’s fine with being a cup of coffee dude in the league, he needs to figure out college basketball first. Skipping that step rarely works out for anybody that’s not elite and didn’t need it in the first place.
I hear you, but I think one of his primary issues is weight and strength and conditioning. And I’m betting that he can improve those things much more easily as a professional.

There’s no reason to leave. His shooting splits look great with his recent elevation in play - 49/37/76. Take those splits with him being the go to guy next year playing 32mpg and he’s a top 10 pick.

If he continues on an upward trend through this month though, he’ll jump into the 15-20 range and that’ll be great for everyone, and maybe he ends up going late lotto (seems to be more than a trend for teams to do)

Seems to me like it took awhile, but GMs learned where to get a sure thing in the late lotto. Blowing consecutive late lotto picks will cost you your job as the GM of a rebuilding team. Pelicans blew it in 2020 drafting Kira Lewis Jr. when Tyrese Maxey slipped to 21st. In what world should Maxey have slipped to 21 given Kentucky’s guard history? And Quickley at 25th is nearly as egregious. It’s hard to pick in the back half of the lotto, the crystal ball is much clearer in the front half (even if draft day perceptions are sometimes later proven incorrect). Lots of pressure to get it right, but you can see how it gets hard to judge amongst a large field of really good players after the Elite guys are off the board at the start.

Man what a turn around story that would be for Edwards if he’s getting called up there with the 13th pick in June!! Seems like he sees it in his sights with the way Cal says he’s so focused and constantly working. Sounds like a kid Pat Riley would love.
No question, based on things right now, he should return.

“Top guys” view coming back as a failure. I say no way. He’ll go where he goes and try to make it.

Maybe..maybe NIL will change that, but it’s too early to tell.

Reactions: Girthang
Same with Bradshaw, which makes me think he’ll make a bad decision.
Gabriel, Boston, Ty Ty, Goodwin, Skal, Teague, Orton, Montgomery, Hagans, Briscoe, Livingston, etc.

We've had quite a few guys make bad decisions here by leaving too early.

I fully expect Edwards to follow that trend of rampant impatience and shortsightedness.

Gabriel, Boston, Ty Ty, Goodwin, Skal, Teague, Orton, Montgomery, Hagans, Briscoe, Livingston, etc.

I fully expect Edwards to follow that trend of rampant impatience and shortsightedness.
Unfortunately I think Edwards will follow this trend.

@BigKari is right though, he'd really do well with 1-2 more years. Play himself in to the top 5-10 potentially

Reactions: BigKari

He could be a first rounder if his play continues into the tournament. I doubt he stays. We shouldn’t expect that

lol well that won’t happen

Edwards and Bradshaw could both return, have the sort of season they hoped to have this year, and be a first round, potential lottery pick. But MOST rookies play in the G League now, and they may just want to get to the pros and continue their development in that league. We act like it's a no brainer you should come back but obviously many guys are fine with going that route. And if you come back and DON'T improve? Then your pro prospects really take a hit. Sucks this is how it is, for a college basketball fan. Staying is a gamble, going is a gamble, but most of these guys don't have dreams of multiple years in college, they are trying to go pro.

I fully expect Edwards to follow that trend of rampant impatience and sh

Historically, only 1st round picks received guaranteed contracts. Recently, some 2nd round draftees have also received guaranteed contracts, albeit at much lower, not life changing, salary.

Edwards is 20 years old and considered “old” for a player coming out after 1 year of college. So if he declares for the draft and is in the late 2nd round, there is a good chance he does not get the guaranteed contract and goes to the G league. If he comes back to UK and has a great season, he might be a 1st round choice and get the guaranteed contract at a much greater salary, plus he will get some NIL money. He has a more difficult decision than most freshmen.

The major problem with Edwards returning is...he was never expected to do so. Historically, UK does NOT return this type of player.

PJ Washington and Terrence Jones are the only ones under Cal who fit this mold.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Honestly, I think we're seeing a conditioning issue. I don't think Justin put in the right work for his body initially. My guess is his improved play stems from him understanding he needed to up his gym and diet game to up his on court game. Just my uneducated guess. I could see a GM going either way with that, if that's the case or what gets sold to them.

The major problem with Edwards returning is...he was never expected to do so. Historically, UK does NOT return this type of player.

PJ Washington and Terrence Jones are the only ones under Cal who fit this mold.
The Harrison twins as well. You're right. It's extremely rare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT