ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread. Georgia vs Kentucky

Will he stick with it though? That’s the key. If he values any kind of legacy he will.
He stuck with it for a huge chunk of the 2nd half.

This felt like the "I can't play you" moment.

I think if Cal's seat wasn't so hot, he'd be more inclined to let Wheeler stay out there. I think he finally feels like he has to make a tough decision. He did. We're better for it.

Imagine if we could put 2 halves together like that!
We can if we continue playing disciplined basketball and if he keeps that high weave and handoff offense locked away. Slow and deliberate is what is best for this team. When playing like this, the team actually set effective screens that result in made baskets.

Gotta start being prepared, we can’t keep getting down 10 every game.

Yep. And that's one of those many steps we see come SEC play. At some point a lot of our great teams figure out how to play the whole 40 minutes. I think that's the next progression.

Right now though, it's these players realizing "wait a second, I'm really talented, I can do this!"

Reactions: Fox2monk
We can if we continue playing disciplined basketball and if he keeps that high weave and handoff offense locked away. Slow and deliberate is what is best for this team. When playing like this, the team actually set effective screens that result in made baskets.
Amazing what happens when you run Reeves and CJ off screens. Having Oscar alone in the post is killer.

toppin is not a great player or a smart player but when he plays hard he gives us what we need. he needs to get fired up every game.

We played REALLY well in the 2nd half. Do we build off that or fall back into the habits of the 1st half?
True, they cannot start slow Saturday, I have watched A&M a couple of times, they are tough as hell, and will make things way more difficult the UGA did for Kentucky offensively

Amazing what happens when you run Reeves and CJ off screens. Having Oscar alone in the post is killer.
This.

Even if they're not making shots, the defense has to respect them.

If Oscar is constantly getting 1 on 1's, he's going to beat up on a lot of teams.

He struggles against length, but in the past he's been able to use his strength to create separation. He hasn't done that as effectively this year. But keeping the paint clear will help a ton.

toppin is not a great player or a smart player but when he plays hard he gives us what we need. he needs to get fired up every game.
Talk about a backhanded compliment, I don't think you could have done a better job at it. Lol

• Haha
This.

Even if they're not making shots, the defense has to respect them.

If Oscar is constantly getting 1 on 1's, he's going to beat up on a lot of teams.

He struggles against length, but in the past he's been able to use his strength to create separation. He hasn't done that as effectively this year. But keeping the paint clear will help a ton.
It allows him to at least rebound and get like 10 points in put backs at least.

Reactions: Cats192
The offense is so different without Wheeler.

I think Cal has finally seen the light.
My guess is that the rest of the team has unanimously let CCC know that they don't want Wheeler running the point. And Wheeler (predictably) doesn't like it. That's where the team friction is coming from. But that's totally just a guess on my part.

Do you think Cal will go to Dykes to call out himself for getting a dumb ass tech when his team had taken control of the game? It was dumb to be that far out on the court holding Reeves hand while placing him on the court where he wanted him as if he was coaching 9-year old kids.

Reactions: cathouse
if he plays hard he’s not bad. would you agree?
I agree that all of UK players look much better when put in position to be successful. Now, it is time for Cal to figure out a means to get something out of Livingston.

My guess is that the rest of the team has unanimously let CCC know that they don't want Wheeler running the point. And Wheeler (predictably) doesn't like it. That's where the team friction is coming from. But that's totally just a guess on my part.
I mentioned it last game that I wasn't sure if Wheeler was really out because of injury. With as dysfunctional as we have looked,it appeared like something is going on behind the scenes.

i mean toppin is not very smart a player. he’s saved passes to the other team 4 times this year for points. in this one game he tried 3 times to take a rebound from oscar on the baseline and one time it was a turnover. he can fix things like that. just saying.

I agree that all of UK players look much better when put in position to be successful. Now, it is time for Cal to figure out a means to get something out of Livingston.
Toppin and Livingston need to play 20/20 at the 4.

i mean toppin is not very smart a player. he’s saved passes to the other team 4 times this year for points. in this one game he tried 3 times to take a rebound from oscar on the baseline and one time it was a turnover. he can fix things like that. just saying.
Your complaint about Toppin taking the ball away from Oscar is interesting because during the game posters were criticizing Oscar for running through his teammates for rebounds. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I don't think there are any teams in college basketball that would pass on a chance to get Toppin if he was available. You can't teach what he brings to the table.

Your complaint about Toppin taking the ball away from Oscar is interesting because during the game posters were criticizing Oscar for running through his teammates for rebounds. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I don't think there are any teams in college basketball that would pass on a chance to get Toppin if he was available. You can't teach what he brings to the table.
you don’t fight your center, the best rebounder in the country for the ball. it doesn’t matter if he ran through a school bus. as far as teachable attributes, someone should teach toppin to shoot. to relax and put it in the hole. he’s always fading away for no reason. he did that on a wide open 8 footer.

Reactions: CatPhight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT