ADVERTISEMENT

Frederick being terrible kills this team

Comparing film makes sense but would require work but the coaches. For Cal, it's just easier to sit him on the bench and remind the Bennies they were wrong once again.
Nah...makes more sense to just leave him in and keep firing away there Benjamin...lol.

CJ shooting no doubt has been a disappointment but we are better with him on floor - he’s a good team defender and moves the ball
Start O - Top - Fredrick- Reeves - Wallace
Sub Wheeler for the 3 guards
Sub Livingston for 2 bigs

Don't play Wheeler at all unless all the other guards have fouled out. When Wheeler comes in the game it is like throwing the anchor out in a boat. Slows everything down.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Don't play Wheeler at all unless all the other guards have fouled out. When Wheeler comes in the game it is like throwing the anchor out in a boat. Slows everything down.
Post of the year! Hilarious, since most think that Wheeler's out of control, playing too fast is his biggest problem. Makes me wonder which idiot has it MOST wrong!

Reactions: Graham51
I never felt great about Fredrick being anymore than a role player for UK. A guy who could come off the bench and stretch the court. He doesn’t have the physical ability to play starters minutes.

Well he plays like shit this sea

St Peters says that stats only matter to fans like you and excuses are for losers. Not much else to say. Reality kicked your stats in the ass because the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY got beat in the NCAA tournament in the first round by a 15 seed. What do the stats say about St Peters? Why were they a lowly 15 seed and beat the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY? Come on ... sky color?
Before they were injured. How silly are you?

CJ is a solid player, but he's more of a complementary guy. That's how he was used at Iowa. I looked back at his 2020-2021 stats and it's interesting he's already taken 11 more 3's this season than he did that entire year at Iowa (playing about the same minutes/game). He had some good games that year, but he did kind of disappear in some others including their NCAA loss to Oregon (13 minutes, zero points, 0-3 FG). First round win against Grand Canyon (2-5 FG, 0-1 3pt FG, 7 points in 32 minutes). Their BIG final loss against Illinois (2-5 FG, 0-0 3pt FG, 4 points in 22 minutes. Their semifinal against Wisc (3-7 FG, 1-3 3pt FG, 7 points in 31 minutes). One 3 pt made field goals in those tourney games....so it wasn't like they were exactly leaning on him down the stretch.

Reactions: TankedCat and G-PIP
Post of the year! Hilarious, since most think that Wheeler's out of control, playing too fast is his biggest problem. Makes me wonder which idiot has it MOST wrong!
Circle gets the jerk moron ... that idiot would be you! SMFH ... too sad to laugh.

Last edited:
Before they were injured. How silly are you?
Check out Kelzers post above, if you care about truth. It's not always about points scored, which all you care about. Fredrick is the better teammate that makes the team better. Plus/Minus metric says that Fredrick needs to play more and also says that Wheeler needs to sit more. Now, since that is settled, back to that sky color little feller.

Like stated earlier, we were the best team in the country last year with Wheeler running the point. How do you think Grady and TyTy got all those shots? Maybe the SEC assist leader? Only difference is TyTy and Grady were 100 times better than Fredrick and Reeves. I would take Mintz over both of them. Don't question other people when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It's not a good look.
Ty Ty had 17 assists in one game if I remember right. If he and Grady hadn’t been injured the end of the season might have been a lot different!

Last edited:
Reactions: shano
What he does is dribble too much. The ball moves much better when he is on the bench. We like all teams can play faster passing the ball up the court instead of dribbling it up.

What I don’t understand is why Wheeler hasn’t been told to quit with the dribbling and not to let the ball stick in his hands. And if he has been told why he doesn’t do it. Never jump to pass, only jump to shoot. Is what I have always heard. My point is I don’t see why Wheeler shouldn’t be very valuable to the team.

I never felt great about Fredrick being anymore than a role player for UK. A guy who could come off the bench and stretch the court. He doesn’t have the physical ability to play starters minutes.
That should be the case for him and Reeves. Neither one should be a starter. Neither is good enough. They are forced into a starter role because we have no one else better. Face it, both would be cigar guys on the 2012 team. They would be fighting Sophomores Derek Willis and Dom Hawkins for mop up minutes in 2015. And we won’t even mention where Wheeler would be in the rotation.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
So many people around here still don't get that Fredrick isn't just a 3pt shooter.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Fredrick's +/- for the game was -1. So when he was in, we were right in the game, even with him missing shots.

Oscar was -6
Reeves was -6
Toppin was -7
Livingston was -7
Wheeler was -7
Wallace was -8

He damn near completely shut down Gradey Dick. Dick got almost all of his points when Fredrick was on the bench. And he was the only KU starter who scored less than his average. Who was covering KJ Adams, who scored 7 over his average?

Without Fredrick, we lose that game by at least 15, maybe 20.
That’s one of the reasons maybe theirs more that CJ is missing shots. CCC is a defensive minded first HC and with guys playing man to man D every minute of every game it wears his own players down especially guards. At Iowa CJ took a lot of defensive plays off as in rested so he could fill it up on the offensive side. CCC has him guarding opponents top scorers and players game in and out. Look at Witjer that left KY and went to Gonzaga, he couldn’t play here because he couldn’t play D but sure filled it up for the Zags the next couple of seasons.

CJ is a solid player, but he's more of a complementary guy. That's how he was used at Iowa. I looked back at his 2020-2021 stats and it's interesting he's already taken 11 more 3's this season than he did that entire year at Iowa (playing about the same minutes/game). He had some good games that year, but he did kind of disappear in some others including their NCAA loss to Oregon (13 minutes, zero points, 0-3 FG). First round win against Grand Canyon (2-5 FG, 0-1 3pt FG, 7 points in 32 minutes). Their BIG final loss against Illinois (2-5 FG, 0-0 3pt FG, 4 points in 22 minutes. Their semifinal against Wisc (3-7 FG, 1-3 3pt FG, 7 points in 31 minutes). One 3 pt made field goals in those tourney games....so it wasn't like they were exactly leaning on him down the stretch.
Towards the end of the season his plantar fasciitis got to the point that he could barely walk. He didn’t practice - just rode a stationary bike on the sideline. I heard that he told somebody after that Oregon game that if they had won he didn’t think he could play the next game, even with a week off. It was that bad.

Jack Pilgrim said earlier today that CJ's splint is due to come off soon and could possibly be off for the Ole Miss game. Will be nice to finally see that off and see if that helps his shooting.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Towards the end of the season his plantar fasciitis got to the point that he could barely walk. He didn’t practice - just rode a stationary bike on the sideline. I heard that he told somebody after that Oregon game that if they had won he didn’t think he could play the next game, even with a week off. It was that bad.
I didn't realize that.

I didn't realize that.
He injured his foot at the end of the 10th game of the season, against Northwestern. If you throw away the cupcakes and only include the 6 Power-5 caliber teams they played to that point, he averaged 14.3 PPG and shot 17/30 (56.7%) from 3.

One big thing with CJ is his legs. I don’t think he has the strength in them he needs to play the kind of D Cal demands and get his shots up. I’ve said this before but he wobbles all over the place when he is running after players on defense and when he is running to get open. As much as he lands on his butt there may be some balance issues too.

Maybe he doesn’t have confidence in his lower extremities after all of the injuries but he is definitely playing not to get hurt. Nothing he does is explosive or violent, which are necessary at this level of competition.

One big thing with CJ is his legs. I don’t think he has the strength in them he needs to play the kind of D Cal demands and get his shots up. I’ve said this before but he wobbles all over the place when he is running after players on defense and when he is running to get open. As much as he lands on his butt there may be some balance issues too.

Maybe he doesn’t have confidence in his lower extremities after all of the injuries but he is definitely playing not to get hurt. Nothing he does is explosive or violent, which are necessary at this level of competition.
Agreed.

Coming off two seasons of leg injuries, missing a lot of time including an entire season and much of two offseasons hasn’t helped either.

I think he is fighting through a lot of adversity right now. All the injuries, learning to play defense at a higher level. Being the focus of the defense on the perimeter. I think there is more to it than “he just can’t shoot anymore.”

CJ isn't that good. He was a role player type on offense at Iowa and here he is being asked to shoot a higher volume. Some guys aren't good volume shooters and even if they are mostly open looks he isn't the guy to make them consistently.

Our overall talent isn't that good and that's why I stand by round of 32 at best for UK. Calipari has one last chance to put the right transfer talent around the freshmen coming in next year. I dont have any faith he will do so.
Good post. I think we all want CJ to be the guy to score but he always seems terrified to go get the ball and make a play or shoot.
Reminds me of Jon Hood a few years ago. He lit it up in practice but couldn't score on the big stage! Kentucky is the big stage (or used to be).

CJ is what he is. He was a "spot" player at Iowa. Give him enough minutes and he will show you why he was/is a bench player. He would be good for next year's team or for a team that had a post player who could actually pass out of the post, but only in limited doses.

CJ is what he is. He was a "spot" player at Iowa. Give him enough minutes and he will show you why he was/is a bench player. He would be good for next year's team or for a team that had a post player who could actually pass out of the post, but only in limited doses.
Spot player? He started every game. Played ahead of Keegan Murray, the #4 draft pick last year.

He may be a fine young man and I have no ill will toward him as a person but he’s been a total flop as a UK basketball player. It may be too big of a stage, who knows. It’s not his hand. The season’s almost over and he brings zero offense and zero defense. UK basketball is winter time entertainment at its worst.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
He may be a fine young man and I have no ill will toward him as a person but he’s been a total flop as a UK basketball player. It may be too big of a stage, who knows. It’s not his hand. The season’s almost over and he brings zero offense and zero defense. UK basketball is winter time entertainment at its worst.
Who would’ve thought that the Bengals would be entertaining and UK basketball would be depressing? But yes, that’s where we are.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
I'm not going to defend his play

but I know that concern for re-injuring himself has played a role this year.

Given his history, maybe it was unrealistic to expect him to return to being the player he once was, when he is worried about a wrong cut or jump taking him out again for the season.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Did I hear Dykes say this was Fredericks first game without the finger splint?

I'm not going to defend his play

but I know that concern for re-injuring himself has played a role this year.

Given his history, maybe it was unrealistic to expect him to return to being the player he once was, when he is worried about a wrong cut or jump taking him out again for the season.

Must be. It was noticably odd how long he stayed down after that layup. Most guys hop up and shake it off. I thought he needed a stretcher

Not tonight. Idk where we'd be without Wheeler and Fredrick tonight. Likely an L with zero ball pressure.
PTS 20
REB 3
AST 4
TO 2
STL 2
MINS 61

Reactions: SophiesDad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT