ADVERTISEMENT

Frederick being terrible kills this team

Once he gets the brace off, I think he will start finding a groove. A dislocated finger on your shooting hand will 100% bother your shot. I'm not convinced he suddenly became a worse 3P shooter. 46% at Iowa and 35% at Kentucky. If he can get it to around 40% then Kentucky will be very good.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He is so damn bad.
Until he's not ... and that can change in a heartbeat. Everyone knows what he's capable of because we've seen flashes and want to see more ... sure. He's a pure shooter and you just cannot brow beat that type of player when his shots aren't falling. You cannot inject "seeds" of doubt. You have to encourage him to keep shooting and play through. He will come around ... IF ... Cal doesn't totally destroy his confidence. After all, anyone is better than Wheeler, but that's not the reason you play Fredrick ... you play him because he gives you the best chance of winning at his position.

Again, Wheeler isn’t a Kentucky caliber player. You can die on that hill all you want. He’s fine coming off the bench in comfortable wins against mid majors. Theiro should be getting more of his minutes.
Wheeler is as much a Ky caliber player as CJ is. Fact.

Frederick would be a great 6th 7th man off the bench instant offense type of guy. I’d start Reeves over Frederick and play him off the bench less minutes.

Reactions: bigbluedon
CJ was the best 3 point shooter in the country at Iowa. What has happened?
I wonder how much defense he had to play at Iowa?

I understand why CJ is starting here and its because he is keeping opposing teams points off the board. Most of the time - I say most, he brings more to the table than he takes off but admittedly when your forte is 3 point shooting, its hard to look past him missing open shots.

Wheeler is an empty stat guy - you can point to all the positive stats about him but at the end of the day the team is losing against good competition with him on the court. 3 point shooting, assists whatever - then you see UK up/down 2 points and he throws a no look behind the back pass to the opposing team. He's going to do something *every* game. Its so consistent the fans look for the Wheeler moment when the momentum is going to shift and the offense looks disorganized.

No one is saying that about CJ

As for Reeves starting over him, I can only assume that Cal has no faith in Reeves ability to play defense / make an assist or maybe Cal just believes that the CJ we all want him to be will show up and he has to be on the court for it to happen.

Last edited:
CJ was the best 3 point shooter in the country at Iowa. What has happened?
There have been a lot of players who came in as great shooters and transferred that could give us a truthful answer. You won't get a truthful answer from Cal, the AD, the Lexington media. The problem for these types is that BBN, in general, pretty much knows the answer but no one wants to discuss it. Doesn't matter b/c we all know that Calipari's gotta go. He has to be one of the biggest frauds in the history of college basketball. Truth is self-evident but lies require constant and never-ending work to continuously prop them up and push them out in front of a gullible pubic and present the lie as truth. This is precisely why Cal calls BBN "bennies" because he knows truth can't be changed so he has to cultivate the lies and resort to name-calling to shut us up.

One is the focal point of the opponent’s defensive schemes and is guarded as soon as he crosses mid-court, while the other is left wide open beyond the 3 point line. That’s the difference.
Yeah.. that's just not true. Out of the 5 threes CJ attempted, 4 were plenty open, and he wasn't really close on most of them. CJ has been plenty open for the majority of his threes this year.

If he can't connect on these open looks, and as much as I am ready for Cal to go, it is CJs fault alone, not Cal's.

Yeah.. that's just not true. Out of the 5 threes CJ attempted, 4 were plenty open, and he wasn't really close on most of them. CJ has been plenty open for the majority of his threes this year.

If he can't connect on these open looks, and as much as I am ready for Cal to go, it is CJs fault alone, not Cal's.
... well, no one will ever convince me that Cal is an encouraging presence on the sideline. Too many good shooters have exited Lexington, only to suddenly find their shooting touch with the next coach/team. The common thread here is Calipari. So, I would disagree with you and say that the problem at its root is indeed Calipari.

Reactions: KENTUCKY_FLYER
... well, no one will ever convince me that Cal is an encouraging presence on the sideline. Too many good shooters have exited Lexington, only to suddenly find their shooting touch with the next coach/team. The common thread here is Calipari. So, I would disagree with you and say that the problem at its root is indeed Calipari.
Actually I think this is the most encouraging I have seen Cal on the sidelines since he came to UK. For the most part, and this was probably due to Oscar's request, he is letting guys play through mistakes, and is actively clapping for them, especially after missed shots.

As a previous poster alluded to, hopefully CJ will start shooting better once he gets finger brace removed. Although before that injury, not like he was really scorching the nets.

I have no beef with CJF or Wheeler, but I believe they are best used off the bench, playing vs the other team's bench players.

Just a casual question for you ... look outside and tell me what's the color of the sky in your world.
Like stated earlier, we were the best team in the country last year with Wheeler running the point. How do you think Grady and TyTy got all those shots? Maybe the SEC assist leader? Only difference is TyTy and Grady were 100 times better than Fredrick and Reeves. I would take Mintz over both of them. Don't question other people when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It's not a good look.

Like stated earlier, we were the best team in the country last year with Wheeler running the point. How do you think Grady and TyTy got all those shots? Maybe the SEC assist leader? Only difference is TyTy and Grady were 100 times better than Fredrick and Reeves. I would take Mintz over both of them. Don't question other people when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It's not a good look.
Sure thing, I'll make sure to run my opinions by you for vetting prior to posting. The sky color question is even more interesting now. Oh, I'm sorry but you were thinking that last year's team was the best in the COUNTRY? You must have forgotten about the St. Peters game. But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
CJ is 29 of 87 for 33%

Wheeler is 15 of 40 for 38%

Mind blowing how that's even possible
Maybe Wheeler gets looks more similar to what Fredrick got at Iowa.

When you're not expected to carry the perimeter scoring load and only take a couple of wide OPEN 3s per game it's whole lot easier to have a high percentage.

Sure thing, I'll make sure to run my opinions by you for vetting prior to posting. The sky color question is even more interesting now. Oh, I'm sorry but you were thinking that last year's team was the best in the COUNTRY? You must have forgotten about the St. Peters game. But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.
You don't think before the players started getting hurt we were the best team? We were rolling everybody. So looks like when Grady and Ty Ty got hurt they became players the same level as the ones we have now. You sir are delusional as it gets. It's about the talent surrounding Wheeler. He has none on the perimeter so they throw the ball back to him with 2 seconds on the shot clock cause he is the only one that can get his own shot. CJ needs 19 seconds to get his shot off and Reeves is not consistent. Not even close to the same talent level, but yeah it's Wheeler 's fault. 🙄

I wonder how much defense he had to play at Iowa?

I understand why CJ is starting here and its because he is keeping opposing teams points off the board. Most of the time - I say most, he brings more to the table than he takes off but admittedly when your forte is 3 point shooting, its hard to look past him missing open shots.

Wheeler is an empty stat guy - you can point to all the positive stats about him but at the end of the day the team is losing against good competition with him on the court. 3 point shooting, assists whatever - then you see UK up/down 2 points and he throws a no look behind the back pass to the opposing team. He's going to do something *every* game. Its so consistent the fans look for the Wheeler moment when the momentum is going to shift and the offense looks disorganized.

No one is saying that about CJ

As for Reeves starting over him, I can only assume that Cal has no faith in Reeves ability to play defense / make an assist or maybe Cal just believes that the CJ we all want him to be will show up and he has to be on the court for it to happen.

You don't think before the players started getting hurt we were the best team? We were rolling everybody. So looks like when Grady and Ty Ty got hurt they became players the same level as the ones we have now. You sir are delusional as it gets. It's about the talent surrounding Wheeler. He has none on the perimeter so they throw the ball back to him with 2 seconds on the shot clock cause he is the only one that can get his own shot. CJ needs 19 seconds to get his shot off and Reeves is not consistent. Not even close to the same talent level, but yeah it's Wheeler 's fault. 🙄
"It's about the talent surrounding Wheeler" ... well, that's a fact but Wheeler's not a part of the solution. No, there's no way in hell that we were the best team in the country last year. You can make statements like that and call others delusional. You heard Calipari make that self-serving stupid comment and you believed it. That's a crock and that liar knows it and you should know it. He just needs fans like you to believe it. Look, we're not going to agree so just let it go. I'm gonna take guess about that sky color ... hell, I don't know, but certainly not blue.

12/18/21
UK 98
UNC 69
Wheeler 12-15 FGS, 26 pts, 8 assists, 4 steals

1/15/22
UK 107
UT 79
Wheeler 8-10 FGs, 21 points, 8 assists, 2 steals

Empty stat guy played as well as any guard in the country in those 2 blowout wins, given the competition. Not sure what's happened to him this year but hoping he gets it back. If this team is going to play half-court style offense then shooting the ball well is a must for them to win. I prefer the style they played in those 2 games last year which proved to be highly successful against better teams.

12/18/21
UK 98
UNC 79
Wheeler 12-15 FGS, 26 pts, 8 assists, 4 steals

1/15/22
UK 107
UT 79
Wheeler 8-10 FGs, 21 points, 8 assists, 2 steals

Empty stat guy played as well as any guard in the country in those 2 blowout wins, given the competition. Not sure what's happened to him this year but hoping he gets it back. If this team is going to play half-court style offense then shooting the ball well is a must for them to win. I prefer the style they played in those 2 games last year which proved to be highly successful against better teams.
Beat the shit out of Kansas on their floor also.
Thank you for stats to back up truth.

"It's about the talent surrounding Wheeler" ... well, that's a fact but Wheeler's not a part of the solution. No, there's no way in hell that we were the best team in the country last year. You can make statements like that and call others delusional. You heard Calipari make that self-serving stupid comment and you believed it. That's a crock and that liar knows it and you should know it. He just needs fans like you to believe it. Look, we're not going to agree so just let it go. I'm gonna take guess about that sky color ... hell, I don't know, but certainly not blue.
What say you now that the stats prove you are silly?

Actually I think this is the most encouraging I have seen Cal on the sidelines since he came to UK. For the most part, and this was probably due to Oscar's request, he is letting guys play through mistakes, and is actively clapping for them, especially after missed shots.

As a previous poster alluded to, hopefully CJ will start shooting better once he gets finger brace removed. Although before that injury, not like he was really scorching the nets.
I agree that Cal seems to be adjusting somewhat after Oscars revelation ... kinda hard for Cal to bench him. I just hope that he continues "coach and encourage" rather than "rant and rave". It could be that Cals system doesn't fit a player like Fredrick but whatever the issues are, the kid can shoot and it's Cal's job to see to it that he continues to let him play through. I don't have, at this point, confidence that Cal will do that. I fully expect him to revert to his natural tendency to "rant and rave". I do hope that I'm wrong.

CJ has now missed 20 of his last 25; not sure if he is ever going to be the same player he was at Iowa. I know, if it was my job, I'd be looking at video of him shooting at Iowa and comparing it to now; if it's different there's your answer and if it's the same he needs an eye doctor or a brain doctor.

What say you now that the stats prove you are silly?
St Peters says that stats only matter to fans like you and excuses are for losers. Not much else to say. Reality kicked your stats in the ass because the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY got beat in the NCAA tournament in the first round by a 15 seed. What do the stats say about St Peters? Why were they a lowly 15 seed and beat the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY? Come on ... sky color?

So many people around here still don't get that Fredrick isn't just a 3pt shooter.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Fredrick's +/- for the game was -1. So when he was in, we were right in the game, even with him missing shots.

Oscar was -6
Reeves was -6
Toppin was -7
Livingston was -7
Wheeler was -7
Wallace was -8

He damn near completely shut down Gradey Dick. Dick got almost all of his points when Fredrick was on the bench. And he was the only KU starter who scored less than his average. Who was covering KJ Adams, who scored 7 over his average?

Without Fredrick, we lose that game by at least 15, maybe 20.

CJ has now missed 20 of his last 25; not sure if he is ever going to be the same player he was at Iowa. I know, if it was my job, I'd be looking at video of him shooting at Iowa and comparing it to now; if it's different there's your answer and if it's the same he needs an eye doctor or a brain doctor.
That video would probably show that at Iowa he wasn't wearing a splint on his shooting hand.

St Peters says that stats only matter to fans like you and excuses are for losers. Not much else to say. Reality kicked your stats in the ass because the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY got beat in the NCAA tournament in the first round by a 15 seed. What do the stats say about St Peters? Why were they a lowly 15 seed and beat the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY? Come on ... sky color?
Wheeler, Washington & Grady were all banged up at the end of the year. No opinion, simple fact.
St. Peters also beat a pretty decent Purdue team last year in the tourney that is currently #1.
Failure to understand that tells me all I need to know about your BB knowledge and logic.

Reactions: federalcat
So many people around here still don't get that Fredrick isn't just a 3pt shooter.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Fredrick's +/- for the game was -1. So when he was in, we were right in the game, even with him missing shots.

Oscar was -6
Reeves was -6
Toppin was -7
Livingston was -7
Wheeler was -7
Wallace was -8

He damn near completely shut down Gradey Dick. Dick got almost all of his points when Fredrick was on the bench. And he was the only KU starter who scored less than his average. Who was covering KJ Adams, who scored 7 over his average?

Without Fredrick, we lose that game by at least 15, maybe 20.
Interesting ... appreciated.

That video would probably show that at Iowa he wasn't wearing a splint on his shooting hand.
That is true but he got injured a lot there and could always shoot and he didn't shoot very well here before the splint. I'd love to see him turn it around but if he's shooting bad for a reason other than the splint, then he's not likely to do it before discovering that reason.

Wheeler, Washington & Grady were all banged up at the end of the year. No opinion, simple fact.
St. Peters also beat a pretty decent Purdue team last year in the tourney that is currently #1.
Failure to understand that tells me all I need to know about your BB knowledge and logic.
Yeah ... I heard all the same excuses as well. If you're the best team in the country, you find ways to win. I truly don't care what you think you know about my basketball knowledge. What you need to know is that UK was embarrassed on the largest stage in college basketball ... EPIC. To sit back and make excuses, claiming that UK was the best team in the country is sad to watch. Don't you think all teams take their lumps and bruises all year long? You just don't hear them complain about it. If you don't have valid reasons for losing, I suppose you certainly need excuses. But excuses are for losers and sadly embarrassing. Bottom line is that UK was not the best team in the country, as Cal has suggested and BTW, what a crock ... that loser. UK was no different than any other team in the tournament regarding bumps, bruises, and injuries that slow players down. Most don't use it to excuse the losses. The ones that do are losers on and off the court. If UK doesn't have talented players to sub in for players who are slowed by aches and pains ... who's to blame for that?

That is true but he got injured a lot there and could always shoot and he didn't shoot very well here before the splint. I'd love to see him turn it around but if he's shooting bad for a reason other than the splint, then he's not likely to do it before discovering that reason.
He also missed an entire year. To expect him to come back and pick right up where he left off is unrealistic. Hopefully he'll get into a rhythm soon and be able to help us make a run to end the season.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Comparing film makes sense but would require work but the coaches. For Cal, it's just easier to sit him on the bench and remind the Bennies they were wrong once again.

ADVERTISEMENT