ADVERTISEMENT

Frederick being terrible kills this team

Oscar and Reeves were great pickups. Toppin is fine, but should ideally not be a UK starter. Wheeler probably shouldn’t be on the roster.
Reeves has his moments but I wouldn't define him as Kentucky caliber either.

and I'm not knocking these guys - as bench players they are fine, but they would be getting severely limited minutes on teams prior to 2017. Individually they can shine on a strong team.

The fans are just expecting experienced players to be saviours from the transfer portal and while I think UK needs experienced players, we need to retain and develop our guys, not replace good ones that leave early with guys trying to upgrade

Last edited:
CJ did not score well today. This team's problems are not solely on his shoulders. He scored at Iowa in a better-run offense. Why isn't he scoring here?
I don’t know. He’s getting wide open looks and he’s not making them.

Reactions: shano
He still opens up space offensively
Fredrick has already shot more 3s this season than he did his last season at Iowa. He made 36 3s for Iowa and has made I think 29 at UK. He’s a decoy, not a consistent offensive weapon. But like you said, he has to play with Reeves and Wallace to make the offense have enough space to breath. Just don't expect 3-4 3s a game from him.

In their defense, most casual fans only understand offense and struggle to understand that much of the game. If a player only scores two points, he must be terrible, because that is all they see. They only see the missed shots. They do not see the player’s defensive efforts.

Fredrick struggled offensively, but gave a superb performance on the defensive end guarding Grady Dick.

Reeves has his moments but I wouldn't define him as Kentucky caliber either.

and I'm not knocking these guys - as bench players they are fine, but they would be getting severely limited minutes on teams prior to 2017. Individually they can shine on a strong team.

The fans are just expecting experienced players to be saviours from the transfer portal and while I think UK needs experienced players, we need to retain and develop our guys, not replace good ones that leave early with guys trying to upgrade
I disagree about Reeves. He’s a solid scorer. He’s valuable to the team every game.

Well it's Cals fault that CJ was terrible so by extention it's Cals fault we lost yet another big game on our schedule.

I've generally agreed about keeping CJ out there.. but it's getting dangerously close to the point that even "keeping him out there" still doesn't help us.

He just can't hit. And his defense was better. But he's always going to be a liability in his quickness.

I've generally agreed about keeping CJ out there.. but it's getting dangerously close to the point that even "keeping him out there" still doesn't help us.

He just can't hit. And his defense was better. But he's always going to be a liability in his quickness.
no one was hitting though, UK was 2-13

None of it is ever Cal’s fault, especially the fact that we are 14-7. Not Cal’s fault
Most of that is Cal’s fault. But he has given CJ a ton of chances this season. I’m dying to love the kids game but when he’s bad he’s really bad.

He could actually shoot at Iowa.
That’s just it. The OP is right, his struggle is killing us and before the year started I thought he would be THE KEY difference that made us really good . But it’s one of the most puzzling things I’ve seen in a Ming time how he went from pretty good player and great shooter to a completely instrument of himself mess in one year.

But a the OP said that is a huge factor in this team not meeting expectations

I know this thread was about Fredrick, but does anyone else continue to get really frustrated with Oscar? On defense, his laziness and lack of BBIQ are an awful combination if he isn’t getting the Tyler Herro esque steals. On the offensive end he can go from a man possessed on the glass to you forget he’s there after a missed shot. He was able to get his offensively due to KU not having an actual big guy. But his defense was atrocious. Also not sure if anyone noticed, but that crazy stat where he outrebounds everyone on the other team? Tonight was another example where he got outrebounded by a gimpy 3 man.

I was excited when he transferred as a knock down shooter, but what % is he shooting on the season from 3? It can’t be over 30%

Hopefully it’s just a slump, but he needs to lose his spot in the rotation until he comes out of it. Reeves definitely at a minimum deserves more playing time.
Cal is the coach that great shooters come to die under

I think we can all agree that whatever the concept, philosophy, approach that Calipari is using to build and put a championship contender on the court, has failed miserably for the past 3-4 seasons. Again we see that the modern game and Calipari do not mix well. Time for him to move on. The program needs a reboot.

For the millionth time, our players aren't the problem. The coaching is. But right on cue, here they are to attack the players.
Cal has made CJ go 10 of his last 39 from three? That’s 26% How does that work? 75% of those misses have been WIDE open. How is that on Cal?

He’s now at 33% for the year. He’s been freaking terrible. He was bright in to do one thing, make threes. And he’s awful at it.

Reactions: gojvc
Cal has made CJ go 10 of his last 39 from three? That’s 26% How does that work? 75% of those misses have been WIDE open. How is that on Cal?

He’s now at 33% for the year. He’s been freaking terrible. He was bright in to do one thing, make threes. And he’s awful at it.
Funny how he could shoot under McCaffery. Wrong pigmentation for you?

In their defense, most casual fans only understand offense and struggle to understand that much of the game. If a player only scores two points, he must be terrible, because that is all they see. They only see the missed shots. They do not see the player’s defensive efforts.

Fredrick struggled offensively, but gave a superb performance on the defensive end guarding Grady Dick.
This^^^^ CJ built a house tonight with his shots, but was good defensively. Cal subbed in Wheeler after CJs TO KU went on a run offensively. Cal left CJ on the bench too long

Reactions: kelzer

why did he make so may of those under another coach?

He is so damn bad.
Wouldn’t it be nice if Cal had developed Thiero? I believe Thiero would hit more open threes than CJ. And play better D. And be a threat to take his man off the dribble.

Cal could have a more developed Thiero and Ugonna to turn to. Instead, we just keep watching CJ “Bricklayer” Fredrick and Lance Ware.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Cal had developed Thiero? I believe Thiero would hit more open threes than CJ. And play better D. And be a threat to take his man off the dribble.

Cal could have a more developed Thiero and Ugonna to turn to. Instead, we just keep watching CJ “Bricklayer” Fredrick and Lance Ware.
This is such a stupid post. Thiero was barely a three star who EVERYONE (including him) said was going to need a long time (years) to be ready to contribute in a meaningful way.

Now we have idiotic posters trying to act like he is the answer to all problems and Cal just doesn’t want to play him for some reason.

It’s beyond stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Imagine me sitting down with my boss to talk through my performance evaluation, and in spite of year over year of below expectations results, him accepting that it’s just never MY fault.

Reactions: know1
He took too many threes tonight where he wasn’t even squared up. You know right when he took them that the chances of him making them were slim. Grady was the type that could turn off a screen quickly and hit. Grady was sure fun to watch until the end of the season. Frederick needs way too much time to be set and have room to get his shot off. Which is hard to do against good defensive teams

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT